2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 12:59 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
If we stopped giving our opinions this forum would dry up overnight because no one is actually buying the car
I sure wish that was true in my area then maybe I could get one below MRSP.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
Because there is no such thing as car shortage.
Excuse #1, I can't wait to see what some of the others will be. How's that same shortage working out for the MDX and the RDX? If people buy them Acura seems to be building them.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djhtsx
I sure wish that was true in my area then maybe I could get one below MRSP.
Unfortunately Acura knows that this model is a lame duck and is putting zero effort into it so I don't think you'll be seeing that anytime soon.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
Excuse #1, I can't wait to see what some of the others will be. How's that same shortage working out for the MDX and the RDX? If people buy them Acura seems to be building them.
You obviously have not been on other forums/communities and see people have been waiting months for their Type-S. But hey there is no such thing as global chip shortage and dealers have a plethora of new cars to sell. Time to wake up and late what’s going around in the world. Oh and also, gas prices are rising in case you didn’t know that either.

When was the last time you ever drove by a dealer? Lol so out of touch with the industry nowadays.

Last edited by richii0207; 03-07-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Unfortunately Acura knows that this model is a lame duck and is putting zero effort into it so I don't think you'll be seeing that anytime soon.
that made zero sense lol but ok 👌🏽
Old 03-07-2022, 01:27 PM
Pro

That’s what happens when emotions cloud judgement. 😂
Old 03-07-2022, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Thread should be labeled "Complaining area for people who don't understand marketing"
....it would just continue to Coronavirus into other threads even though it Wuhaned from the 1G TLX subforum.
MarcoTLX (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

You obviously have not been on other forums/communities and see people have been waiting months for their Type-S. But hey there is no such thing as global chip shortage and dealers have a plethora of new cars to sell. Time to wake up and late what’s going around in the world. Oh and also, gas prices are rising in case you didn’t know that either.

When was the last time you ever drove by a dealer? Lol so out of touch with the industry nowadays.
This is the TLX thread, correct? So that would include the non Type-S model, yes? Again, where are all of the drivers of this wonderful TLX model? It's the same names over and over making outlandish claims but I have yet to see new traffic here in quite a while.

But since you wanted to bring up the Type-S guess what is trickling into dealers? The MDX-S. Guess what is not? The TLX-S.

That’s what happens when emotions cloud judgement. 😂
Made perfect sense. Go place an order for a regular TLX. Then place one for an MDX or an RDX and let me know which one works out better for you. If this model sold Acura would build it!
Old 03-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Pro

This is the TLX thread, correct? So that would include the non Type-S model, yes? Again, where are all of the drivers of this wonderful TLX model? It's the same names over and over making outlandish claims but I have yet to see new traffic here in quite a while.

But since you wanted to bring up the Type-S guess what is trickling into dealers? The MDX-S. Guess what is not? The TLX-S.

Made perfect sense. Go place an order for a regular TLX. Then place one for an MDX or an RDX and let me know which one works out better for you. If this model sold Acura would build it!

I’m driving mine!
Old 03-07-2022, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I’m driving mine!
Good to hear and I am glad that they sold at least one
Old 03-07-2022, 01:58 PM
Pro

I’m sure yours will be come soon.
MarcoTLX (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:03 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 364 Likes on 241 Posts
lol y’all are hilarious in this thread but don’t forget they gonna sell another TLX once I get mines this summer hopefully!
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcoTLX:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-07-2022), ESHBG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I’m sure yours will be come soon.
Absolutely! I am looking for a big boat that somehow managed to have less useable space on the inside, is luxury and sporty but yet still missing key features, doesn't get that good of MPG for what it is...it's that kind of thrill!
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-07-2022), robnalex (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:57 PM
Pro

Absolutely! I am looking for a big boat that somehow managed to have less useable space on the inside, is luxury and sporty but yet still missing key features, doesn't get that good of MPG for what it is...it's that kind of thrill!

MarcoTLX (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think there is a shortage of Type-S sedans because all available common parts are going to the prime money maker the MDX. Just a smart business decision for Honda putting scarce resources into high profit SUV that sells well over a sedan thats not as popular.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Camaro194 (03-07-2022), ESHBG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Ikeda says this is not the replacement for the ILX, but it’s exactly what it is. We (or at least most of us who aren’t blind fanboys) knew that, but this just confirms it once and for all. What credibility does this guy have left? Does he even believe the BS that he’s trying to sell? I was hoping he would be the Acura version of Akio Toyoda in terms of being a gearhead who could get things done, but it's starting to look more and more like he's just an empty suit powerless to deliver on the promise of performance..
Just looking at the posts from the usual suspects defending toxic Jon Ikeda. They acknowledge that he is lying but give him a pass because its just marketing. Some of us don't give him a pass because we do know marketing. Thing is there is a very big difference between puffery & outright lying.

False advertisement is motivated by a desire to deceive or mislead the public. On the other hand, puffery is usually a matter of opinion rather than a factual representation. The aim of puffery is simply to attract more consumers rather than to purposely deceive. Expect Jon Ikeda is laughing his ass off at all his defenders.

"Ikeda says the Integra is not the replacement for the ILX" What is it then? The car at the bottom of the lineup the rebadged Civic called the ILX goes away & shazam another rebadged Civic shows up to replace it called the Integra. So what do others say?

C&D says Honda's Acura luxury division will soon relaunch an iconic nameplate and shake up the entry-luxury compact segment with an all-new Integra, replacing the aging ILX sedan in the lineup.

Other publications say?

Current ILX - The Acura ILX is a premium compact car produced by Honda under the Acura brand. All ILX variants are based upon the ninth-generation Civic sedan.

New Integra - The Integra is - as anticipated - based on a Civic. So, what we have here is a Civic Si with a new name, a new look and a hatchback-style body opening.
ESHBG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

You're really showing me with these memes! Now take a break and get back in your TLX and whip down the block and scare those toddlers and get those MILFs excited!
Old 03-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Pro

You're really showing me with these memes! Now take a break and get back in your TLX and whip down the block and scare those toddlers and get those MILFs excited!
Sexist much? Calm down before you blow a head gasket bro. Just so you know, not everyone does what you do in your ride. And don’t forget the AWD burnout to Sandstorm. 🤣

Last edited by richii0207; 03-07-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bear-avhistory
just looking at the posts from the usual toxic suspects attacking jon ikeda as if he’s on the forums listening to the crybabies
ftfy

Last edited by richii0207; 03-07-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sexist much? Calm down before you blow a head gasket bro. Just so you know, not everyone does what you do in your ride. And don’t forget the AWD burnout to Sandstorm. 🤣
​​​​​Apparently you missed the MILF post? It was one of the highlights from your camp. But hell yeah and it's that kind of thrill, bro! And I can't wait for the next Acura anime, it's going to be so bad, bro! Instead of putting money into making the cars better they're making cartoons

This was fun but back to the topic! Anyone go on a recent test drive and compare vehicles?
BEAR-AvHistory (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

​​​​​Apparently you missed the MILF post? It was one of the highlights from your camp. But hell yeah and it's that kind of thrill, bro! And I can't wait for the next Acura anime, it's going to be so bad, bro! Instead of putting money into making the cars better they're making cartoons

This was fun but back to the topic! Anyone go on a recent test drive and compare vehicles?
Seems like they ran out of cars to test the Type-S against. Was a big buzz when released but between Slow Sam. Lighting Laps, & PVOTY there is no longer any point. Next up will be Integra VS Civic Si.

BTW based on his join date he missed the MILF & scaring kids adventures with the guys then new Type-S. Don't hear much from that guy any more. Maybe some MILF's husband did not like his kid getting sacred by some guy speeding through the neighborhood.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-07-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:11 PM
Pro

You seem upset. I can understand why you would want to get back on topic after your little tantrum that strayed off topic. Anything else you would like to generalize? Where does my camp like to meet at? Bob’s market? We’ll save a tuna sandwich with no crust for you. You seem to enjoy saltiness. 🤣

Last edited by richii0207; 03-07-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I don’t think it’s a secret on here that I absolutely despise Acura’s marketing department. It goes beyond the marketing speak and painting the car as something it’s not; they stretch the truth even in their press releases to the point where I’m not sure if they’re flat out liars or wholly incompetent.
All marketing sucks, but Acura has always had the same ads of their cars even before the Type S came out where they show whatever car de jour driving on a race track. This is nothing new and not uncommon. See their 2019 RDX ad.

Of course they could've built more honest ads like this one right? Here's the purest expression of a sports sedan that's also built at a track lol

​​​​

Old 03-07-2022, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by whiteGSR
All marketing sucks, but Acura has always had the same ads of their cars even before the Type S came out where they show whatever car de jour driving on a race track. This is nothing new and not uncommon. See their 2019 RDX ad.

Of course they could've built more honest ads like this one right? Here's the purest expression of a sports sedan that's also built at a track lol​​​​
Great visuals but the car does not live up to them. Only thing by comparison is it finished at #161 & the TLX-S finished at #186 in the 2022 Lightning Laps. Be better for both to take a break from the track in their adds. Think cars should advertise their strong points not their obvious weak ones.

Some of the guys should go to a track day at their local road course & see what cars actually show up to run. Safe to say you will see neither of these cars.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Great visuals but the car does not live up to them. Only thing by comparison is it finished at #161 & the TLX-S finished at #186 in the 2022 Lightning Laps. Be better for both to take a break from the track in their adds. Think cars should advertise their strong points not their obvious weak ones.

Some of the guys should go to a track day at their local road course & see what cars actually show up to run. Safe to say you will see neither of these cars.
Agreed with what you said but note that this ad was for the IS350 and not the 500 as this was a full 8 months before the IS500 announcement. So it's weird to claim that a car that costs the same as the Type S but is even slower as "the most thrilling IS ever".
Old 03-07-2022, 09:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Not sure if you’ve ever been involved in HPDE racing but you see all kinds of cars with people attempting to beat their PB ranging from Miatas and MINIs to Vettes. You make it sound like the typical sports car owner is racing in a video-game style match. Most people are just trying get in their PB. You don’t need to race in a Vette to have fun…. Only cars ranked #50 or higher are only worthy of having fun on a track? Where do you draw the line? You do know that there are other tracks pother than VIR that can rearrange the ranks?

Don’t be that guy that never let’s others overtake just for pure ego. You want some track fun with some decent PBs? Invest in track lessons and stop wasting so much time looking at numbers to justify fun.

Last edited by richii0207; 03-07-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Man this thread went off the rails - again. I skimmed through the last 50 or so posts and I counted only a handful that seemed like decent/productive conversation. I'd be perfectly fine, happy even, if this place were dead/quieter if it meant not having to scroll through posts about the criticisms that have been beaten to death already, again. It would be easier to focus on meaningful content and discussion without having to scroll through all the repetitive drivel.

As for the topic at hand: I think a good point was made regarding Acura's focus on their SUVs. They're regularly praised and the refreshed RDX has been getting some positive buzz among car review YouTubers so far:

The TLX, like many other sedans out there, are competing for attention against SUVs. SUVs sell like hotcakes and sedan sales have suffered as a result. In times like this where materials shortages and supply chain issues require compromises, I think Acura is justified in prioritizing what sells best: SUVs. Assuming they've actually cut TLX production in favor of the MDX/RDX anyway (has this actually been confirmed/reported? I may have missed an article/link). It's just business.

I personally enjoy sedans more than SUVs, so I'll be thrilled if Acura surprises us with the Integra and it somehow doesn't have a CVT (unllikely) or maybe the Integra Type S will bring some surprises (but almost certainly not SH-AWD). I'd be very pleasantly surprised if the Integra Type S at least got the Accord powertrain + an LSD. It would make it compete more directly with the VW GTI and Hyundai Elantra N and I think it could actually be a compelling offering against those two. Transmission will be lacking if the "ITS" gets the 10-speed, especially if it doesn't get some tweaks for better response and a more useful manual mode, but handling should be good based on what I've read about the Civic Si.

While I prefer sedans, I think SUVs have gotten pretty darn good lately too. So if the TLX isn't in a good place when my lease is up, I wouldn't mind an RDX, an MDX, or one of the many other excellent SUVs or sedans out there now or coming soon (still keeping a close on Mazda and a rumored CX-50 with the RAV4 Prime powertrain or other new vehicles incoming with their new inline 6 engine). Acura loaned me an MDX while my TLX was in for service and I admit I began to get a bit too attached to it by the time I had to turn it in. While the TLX has more responsive brake/throttle tuning, the MDX felt really nice to drive and I wouldn't mind the extra space.

As for the TLX vs everything else? Ideally the mid-cycle refresh will bring improved tuning for the 10-speed, a mild power bump, and some interior refinements (all digital gauge cluster, for example) when its mid-cycle refresh comes along. I think those will be more steps in the right direction for the TLX. Am I holding my breath for all that? No, but I would love to for Acura to surprise us with it. Acura needs to take more/larger steps if it wants to remain competitive. Its SUVs are showing more promise these days, especially with the RDX refresh and the new MDX (in my opinion, especially after having driven the latter as a service loaner). Here's hoping they do the same for the TLX in the next few years for those of us who enjoy sedans.

Otherwise, Acura could probably stand to lean more into the "grand touring"/comfort aspect of their vehicles while adding that they're good for spirited driving on public roads. That would match up better with the reality I've experienced and enjoyed with the TLX and MDX. I think it could show these vehicles in a very positive light. At least their exterior designs certainly do a good job of that already (in my opinion).

Last edited by norsairius; 03-07-2022 at 09:47 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by norsairius:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-08-2022), ELIN (03-09-2022), mapleloaf (03-08-2022), technocrat (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Man, Reddit wasn't too happy about the MDX-S's pricetag. They're absolutely livid about the Integra having a CVT. The TLX-S actually turned out to be the least of Acura's sins.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-08-2022), norsairius (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Man, Reddit wasn't too happy about the MDX-S's pricetag. They're absolutely livid about the Integra having a CVT. The TLX-S actually turned out to be the least of Acura's sins.
Rightfully so. I didn't follow the MDX-S pricetag conversation, but I did read a post and comment thread about the Integra and the CVT. I can't take any car seriously as a performance/enthusiast offering if it has a CVT because of the experiences I've had driving cars with CVTs (thankfully never owned any myself, but driven plenty of friends' vehicles with them).

It feels like Subaru is really trying to "make fetch happen" with the CVT in the new WRX but I just don't see it working out. I'm admittedly interested in the tuning they did with it and seeing how it'll turn out once more reviewers get their hands on it, but I'm not optimistic that it will be good. We'll see, I guess. I would actually be happy to be wrong about it as a "good enthusiast CVT" would be fascinating to me.

Don't know if anyone remembers, but there was a time when the R36 Nissan GT-R was actually rumored to be getting a CVT. Thank goodness that didn't pan out, especially considering that some of my worst experiences with CVTs have been in Nissans... actually, all of my worst experiences with CVTs have been with Nissans...

Last edited by norsairius; 03-07-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by norsairius
Man this thread went off the rails - again. I skimmed through the last 50 or so posts and I counted only a handful that seemed like decent/productive conversation. I'd be perfectly fine, happy even, if this place were dead/quieter if it meant not having to scroll through posts about the criticisms that have been beaten to death already, again. It would be easier to focus on meaningful content and discussion without having to scroll through all the repetitive drivel.

As for the topic at hand: I think a good point was made regarding Acura's focus on their SUVs. They're regularly praised and the refreshed RDX has been getting some positive buzz among car review YouTubers so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yci_ENM7m2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruGBPGiTpFw

The TLX, like many other sedans out there, are competing for attention against SUVs. SUVs sell like hotcakes and sedan sales have suffered as a result. In times like this where materials shortages and supply chain issues require compromises, I think Acura is justified in prioritizing what sells best: SUVs. Assuming they've actually cut TLX production in favor of the MDX/RDX anyway (has this actually been confirmed/reported? I may have missed an article/link). It's just business.

I personally enjoy sedans more than SUVs, so I'll be thrilled if Acura surprises us with the Integra and it somehow doesn't have a CVT (unllikely) or maybe the Integra Type S will bring some surprises (but almost certainly not SH-AWD). I'd be very pleasantly surprised if the Integra Type S at least got the Accord powertrain + an LSD. It would make it compete more directly with the VW GTI and Hyundai Elantra N and I think it could actually be a compelling offering against those two. Transmission will be lacking if the "ITS" gets the 10-speed, especially if it doesn't get some tweaks for better response and a more useful manual mode, but handling should be good based on what I've read about the Civic Si.

While I prefer sedans, I think SUVs have gotten pretty darn good lately too. So if the TLX isn't in a good place when my lease is up, I wouldn't mind an RDX, an MDX, or one of the many other excellent SUVs or sedans out there now or coming soon (still keeping a close on Mazda and a rumored CX-50 with the RAV4 Prime powertrain or other new vehicles incoming with their new inline 6 engine). Acura loaned me an MDX while my TLX was in for service and I admit I began to get a bit too attached to it by the time I had to turn it in. While the TLX has more responsive brake/throttle tuning, the MDX felt really nice to drive and I wouldn't mind the extra space.

As for the TLX vs everything else? Ideally the mid-cycle refresh will bring improved tuning for the 10-speed, a mild power bump, and some interior refinements (all digital gauge cluster, for example) when its mid-cycle refresh comes along. I think those will be more steps in the right direction for the TLX. Am I holding my breath for all that? No, but I would love to for Acura to surprise us with it. Acura needs to take more/larger steps if it wants to remain competitive. Its SUVs are showing more promise these days, especially with the RDX refresh and the new MDX (in my opinion, especially after having driven the latter as a service loaner). Here's hoping they do the same for the TLX in the next few years for those of us who enjoy sedans.

Otherwise, Acura could probably stand to lean more into the "grand touring"/comfort aspect of their vehicles while adding that they're good for spirited driving on public roads. That would match up better with the reality I've experienced and enjoyed with the TLX and MDX. I think it could show these vehicles in a very positive light. At least their exterior designs certainly do a good job of that already (in my opinion).
I agree with you and honestly feel this thread as it is has run it’s course. I’m going to lock it down and create a new one which hopefully the community can keep from becoming toxic again.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
norsairius (03-08-2022), technocrat (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Without running the risk of further digression, Acura could have paired back the vitriol by not using the Integra name in favor of carrying on the ILX brand. At least expectations would have been fairly tempered. (....and if it made them feel any better, they could feel free to refer to the project internally as the 'Integra'....so long as it didnt reach the marketing dept.) $.02
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-08-2022), bilirubin (03-08-2022), leomio2.0 (03-08-2022)