2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I think that the Integra is missing quite a bit when you take into consideration what it is/what it is supposed to be and when compared across and down. No Homelink, no built in Navi, no rear seat vents...
The Integra didn’t have navigation? It should have considering my 10th gen CTR has built in nav.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-19-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
No HomeLink is rather bizarre.

No built-in Nav (with paid Subscription) is understandable as long as it has CarPlay/AA capabilities.
It should also have a way to check it's status/lock/un-lock with a phone App. (cheap or free subscription is fine).

I wonder if it has surround-view cameras and folding mirrors (on highest Trim).
What's even more bizarre is that it isn't because the 11G Civic it's based off of doesn't have Homelink...the Civic Touring has Homelink. Perplexing to say least.

I agree, not having nav is forgivable because I find CarPlay/AA to be superior. If I could give away nav for even a $100 discount, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I have not found a car's built in nav system to be easier and more convenient to use than Waze or Google Maps. I'm guessing they figured the target demographic for the Integra is young enough that they wouldn't use the built-in nav. Much like how only old farts listen to the radio these days, I suspect only old farts use built in nav

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-19-2022 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flapjackura (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
What's even more bizarre is that it isn't because the 11G Civic it's based off of doesn't have Homelink...the Civic Touring has Homelink. Perplexing to say least.

I agree, not having nav is forgivable because I find CarPlay/AA to be superior. If I could give away nav for even a $100 discount, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I have not found a car's built in nav system to be easier and more convenient to use than Waze or Google Maps. I'm guessing they figured the target demographic for the Integra is young enough that they wouldn't use the built-in nav. Much like how only old farts listen to the radio these days, I suspect only old farts use built in nav
The font in the Acura nav on my TLX is really difficult to read. +1 on using CP/AA for nav.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Are you trying to say that Old farts are “gassy”?
Flapjackura (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
I think that the Integra is missing quite a bit when you take into consideration what it is/what it is supposed to be and when compared across and down. No Homelink, no built in Navi, no rear seat vents...
In an entry level luxury car, to not include cooled seats, as well as built in SatNav, does make some sense to me as these are much costlier to include. Homelink is a simple system and available in the Civic. Lack of rear seat vents is another absolutely baffling omission in the Integra which I forgot about.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:16 PM
Racer

Old farts also miss having a CD player. That's short for "Compact Disc" for those of you young whippersnappers out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
MarcoTLX (08-20-2022), technocrat (08-23-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I have not found a car's built in nav system to be easier and more convenient to use than Waze or Google Maps.
The built-in Acura-NAV in our old 2014-MDX was very nice. Yes, you had to load the yearly DVDs (that copied down to the HDD) but it worked very nicely. The turn-by-turn directions were great.

This was all before CarPlay/AA was ever invented or deployed.

We found it's rather nice using built-in nav and music ... then you can just use the phone for talking (on the simple Bluetooth connection). I guess I'm showing my age. In these new Audis, we can use it basic or CarPlay ... I've tried both ways.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-19-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELIN
The font in the Acura nav on my TLX is really difficult to read. .
I've heard that before from others.

You know, that would be ridiculously easy for Acura to fix with a little coding.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Old farts also miss having a CD player. That's short for "Compact Disc" for those of you young whippersnappers out there.
🤣 the 10 disc changer was game changer!

Ok that’s the last time I go off topic in the TLX vs Competition thread.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
I never compared a Type S to an RS5. You said that if someone had a $55k to spend, they automatically had the funds to buy something with a higher price tag. “People looking at German brands already have the budget to go higher than the type-S.” Don’t care about brand appeal, just want a vehicle that does want I want.
Did you ever price out an RS5? I did, and it's not even close. So I really don't understand your point of "if you have money, why not and jump performance segment". It's not 10k spread out over 3-4 years ... it's a a good 30-40k if spec-ed nicely, in addition to an extra 10k over the Type-S. If Acura customers have a budget, I'm pretty sure most German buyers don't have a 50k range because "why not". If they do, I'm pretty sure the RS5 is being compared to other things rather than an S5 or Type-S.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-19-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Since you brought up VIR, the Type S edged out the Genesis G70 twin-turbo, and beat the Stinger GT by 5 seconds at VIR. Both of which are well-acclaimed cars and have a power-to-weight advantage over the Acura..
So if you're saying the Type S = NY Giants, Nissan Z = NY Jets, what does that make the G70 and Stinger?
By different drivers, on different days, on different years. Also, C&D added the fact that this year:

this year there were at least 20 people from car and tire manufacturers replacing tires and making sure their entries were performing at their best.
This wasn't stated for the years the G70 or Stinger were tested. Also, one of the biggest detriments to the Stinger were it brakes. The TLX had upgraded brake pads that aren't even a factory option (they say they're dealer installed, but there's literally no brake upgrade package/option you can do on Acura's website). Not to mention, a complete brand new set after each day, which lends itself to better times as the drivers get more seat time with the vehicles. I will concede the point that regardless, their LL times aren't very good, but it's not a truly apples to apples comparison. And, lest we forget ...

Old 08-20-2022, 05:20 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I never missed my 8 Track, but I do miss my cassette sometimes.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:41 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts
Honestly one novelty that I still find nice to have and will miss once I upgrade to a newer car is the fact that my 2019 TLX has a CD player and I can store music on the HDD... I get why the 2nd Gen doesn't have a CD player as CDs have long since been nearly phased out by music streaming services but there's a novelty about having a CD player that I just like.

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Did you ever price out an RS5? I did, and it's not even close. So I really don't understand your point of "if you have money, why not and jump performance segment". It's not 10k spread out over 3-4 years ... it's a a good 30-40k if spec-ed nicely, in addition to an extra 10k over the Type-S. If Acura customers have a budget, I'm pretty sure most German buyers don't have a 50k range because "why not". If they do, I'm pretty sure the RS5 is being compared to other things rather than an S5 or Type-S.
Most Acura customers definitely have a budget, at least I know I do.. not even gonna lie I went to a BMW dealership yesterday evening and spoke with a CA (client advisor) about possibly getting a new BMW and once I spec'd out my ideal 330i with XDrive, M Sport, and some other options to make it similar to an Acura I would buy, the msrp was slightly over $52k (M340i would've been like another $10k) ... for that amount of money I rather just get the TLX-S and have everything standard. So yeah I have a budget but at the same time I rather get the best cost effective car I can get within the budget I set for myself even if it's not the fastest car I can get for the money.

richii0207 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Honestly one novelty that I still find nice to have and will miss once I upgrade to a newer car is the fact that my 2019 TLX has a CD player and I can store music on the HDD... I get why the 2nd Gen doesn't have a CD player as CDs have long since been nearly phased out by music streaming services but there's a novelty about having a CD player that I just like.

Most Acura customers definitely have a budget, at least I know I do.. not even gonna lie I went to a BMW dealership yesterday evening and spoke with a CA (client advisor) about possibly getting a new BMW and once I spec'd out my ideal 330i with XDrive, M Sport, and some other options to make it similar to an Acura I would buy, the msrp was slightly over $52k (M340i would've been like another $10k) ... for that amount of money I rather just get the TLX-S and have everything standard. So yeah I have a budget but at the same time I rather get the best cost effective car I can get within the budget I set for myself even if it's not the fastest car I can get for the money.
Wait…

My Type S doesn’t have a CD player? I mean I’ve never even checked because I haven’t used a CD player in any form since I bought my 2008 Civic back in the day since it had a slot for memory.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:42 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
By different drivers, on different days, on different years. Also, C&D added the fact that this year:
This wasn't stated for the years the G70 or Stinger were tested. Also, one of the biggest detriments to the Stinger were it brakes. The TLX had upgraded brake pads that aren't even a factory option (they say they're dealer installed, but there's literally no brake upgrade package/option you can do on Acura's website). Not to mention, a complete brand new set after each day, which lends itself to better times as the drivers get more seat time with the vehicles. I will concede the point that regardless, their LL times aren't very good, but it's not a truly apples to apples comparison. And, lest we forget ...
So when I give an example of the Type S beating a Stinger GT on a track, it's now "any given Sunday". But when it's the Type S matching the Z on a track it's "they both suck". That inconsistent logic clearly shows that you're biased.

You said the Type S had upgraded brakes at VIR, which is true. But you failed to acknowledge the Stinger also had upgraded brakes at VIR, which weren't a factory option in the US. Again inconsistent logic on your part.

And using a drag race argument is irrelevant when we're talking track times. You're clearly trying to deflect.
richii0207 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
RE: the Integra missing built in Navi for me it's the point of it is still found in its cheaper sibling so carrying it over should have been a given (like Homelink). I've been in many cheaper cars lately for one reason or another e.g. friends' kids getting their first vehicle and they are showing them to me and it's sometimes shocking how many options these basic cars have vs most of Acura's trim levels.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:50 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Wait…

My Type S doesn’t have a CD player? I mean I’ve never even checked because I haven’t used a CD player in any form since I bought my 2008 Civic back in the day since it had a slot for memory.
haha yeah no CD player, when I was given a 2G TLX A-Spec loaner I couldn't find a CD player anywhere, I even looked in the glove compartment since I thought it may have been hidden away in there but nope, no CD player lol
Old 08-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Pro

RE: the Integra missing built in Navi for me it's the point of it is still found in its cheaper sibling so carrying it over should have been a given (like Homelink). I've been in many cheaper cars lately for one reason or another e.g. friends' kids getting their first vehicle and they are showing them to me and it's sometimes shocking how many options these basic cars have vs most of Acura's trim levels.
At least their vehicles have ventilated seats. Yea, some cars come standard with all the driving features like LKAS and speed limit camera but then you have some “premium” brands that don’t even offer ventilated seats or you have to pay extra to get something a Corolla has (driver assists).

One can always get the garage clicker if is really bothers them. There’s always caveats with every brand which is bound to sway buyers with their decision.
Considering this is the TLX and not the Integra section, talking about its features, or lack of, should be kept in the Integra section. AFAIK, the TLX has both built-in Nav and homelink.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-20-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
So when I give an example of the Type S beating a Stinger GT on a track, it's now "any given Sunday". But when it's the Type S matching the Z on a track it's "they both suck". That inconsistent logic clearly shows that you're biased.

You said the Type S had upgraded brakes at VIR, which is true. But you failed to acknowledge the Stinger also had upgraded brakes at VIR, which weren't a factory option in the US. Again inconsistent logic on your part.

And using a drag race argument is irrelevant when we're talking track times. You're clearly trying to deflect.
He's definitely just trolling. When he loses an argument he posts a drag race video. No shit Sherlock we all know Type S is slower in a straight line, however it beats G70 on the track and demolished the Stinger. Oh, that doesn't count though....

All those track races post best times. Not like they ran once and never ran again.
bilirubin (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Ah, true, I missed that on the Stinger. But the G70 didn't have the upgraded brake pads. Funny how you didn't bring that up. And the fact that they talked about tires being replaced at this year's Lightning Lap as opposed to the other years. Another fact you happened to gloss over. And again that the pads and rotors were replaced daily on the TLX-S. I'm not the only one being biased here.

As for saying they both suck, I'm not the only one. Thomas and the comments section of that particular video lament on how disappointing the performance of the Z was. You brought up the fact that the TLX-S performed nearly as good, while masking the fact that the vast majority of people were talking about how poorly the Z car ran around the track. Selective much?

As for bringing up the drag races, it's more in line with what performance is more usable on the street. Because you're chasing cars around twisty windy roads regularly, right? More so than beating some dickhead who doesn't want to let you merge into their lane on the highway, or on from an on-ramp ... or other scenarios where speed matters? I know what scenario I've come across in the real world and which one I've literally never come across in my 20 years of driving. I'd rather have better straight-line performance 10/10 on a street car.

In stock trim, the straight line performance of the TLX-S is lackluster. It's literally at the bottom of the segment. Bringing up track times comparative to another car that performs worse than expectation is your own deflection. Yes, the argument fits that both suck. Cry about it all you want. Even still, regardless of the fact that the car is a turd, I'll still keep it on a list of cars to potentially own in the future if the aftermarket can carry it. If I do purchase one in the future, I'd never heap praise for what Acura did to it from the factory on the speed front. Comfort, simplicity, aesthetics and ease to wrench on will be my primary reasons for purchase, not performance out of the box ... not even on the list.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmski
He's definitely just trolling. When he loses an argument he posts a drag race video. No shit Sherlock we all know Type S is slower in a straight line, however it beats G70 on the track and demolished the Stinger. Oh, that doesn't count though....

All those track races post best times. Not like they ran once and never ran again.
Ran again and again ... your words. And the brakes are replaced again and again, along with new rubber ... as the testers get more seat and better track times. As you said, they post the best time, not the average of the times or the worst times to see the disparity of the first runs of the day vs the last ones. So, by your very argument, you're admitting the TLX-S had a huge advantage with what the automakers were doing with their cars in this year's LL.

This being said by someone who pulls asinine fabricated statistics to make an argument.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:40 AM
Pro

As for bringing up the drag races, it's more in line with what performance is more usable on the street. Because you're chasing cars around twisty windy roads regularly, right? More so than beating some dickhead who doesn't want to let you merge into their lane on the highway, or on from an on-ramp ... or other scenarios where speed matters? I know what scenario I've come across in the real world and which one I've literally never come across in my 20 years of driving. I'd rather have better straight-line performance 10/10 on a street car.
It sounds like the Model 3 performance will be your best bet if you want speed. Less than $10 to fill up a car that will do 60 in 3s and 1/4 mile in sub 11s. There is no car at that price range that gets even close to speed numbers and significantly cheaper to maintain. All while being the forefront in technological features.

Unless of course you have a preference, like others.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-20-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Ran again and again ... your words. And the brakes are replaced again and again, along with new rubber ... as the testers get more seat and better track times. As you said, they post the best time, not the average of the times or the worst times to see the disparity of the first runs of the day vs the last ones. So, by your very argument, you're admitting the TLX-S had a huge advantage with what the automakers were doing with their cars in this year's LL.

This being said by someone who pulls asinine fabricated statistics to make an argument.
Fabricated statistics? LMAO, everyone is fabricating the tests and getting the same results 🤣🤣🤣

Enjoy your G70, you do have one, right? Or are you just a professional keyboard warrior spending time on car sites that you don't even own.
bilirubin (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 12:27 PM
Pro

Ah, true, I missed that on the Stinger. But the G70 didn't have the upgraded brake pads. Funny how you didn't bring that up. And the fact that they talked about tires being replaced at this year's Lightning Lap as opposed to the other years. Another fact you happened to gloss over. And again that the pads and rotors were replaced daily on the TLX-S. I'm not the only one being biased here.

As for saying they both suck, I'm not the only one. Thomas and the comments section of that particular video lament on how disappointing the performance of the Z was. You brought up the fact that the TLX-S performed nearly as good, while masking the fact that the vast majority of people were talking about how poorly the Z car ran around the track. Selective much?

In stock trim, the straight line performance of the TLX-S is lackluster. It's literally at the bottom of the segment. Bringing up track times comparative to another car that performs worse than expectation is your own deflection. Yes, the argument fits that both suck. Cry about it all you want. Even still, regardless of the fact that the car is a turd, I'll still keep it on a list of cars to potentially own in the future if the aftermarket can carry it. If I do purchase one in the future, I'd never heap praise for what Acura did to it from the factory on the speed front. Comfort, simplicity, aesthetics and ease to wrench on will be my primary reasons for purchase, not performance out of the box ... not even on the list.
Incorrect, tire swaps have been common practice in previous years' Lightning Laps.
Upgrades are common too (eg. Lexus IS500 ran with upgraded brakes and even a transmission cooler)
Again, we're talking track times not drag racing, stop trying to deflect.

Last edited by bilirubin; 08-20-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:37 PM
Drifting

You forgot to mention Acura failed to give us a HDD as well. To be stuck with only USB for MCH audio is a bit outrageous, especially when previous gen Acura players used to play DVD-A. To add insult to injury, only one USB port is "smart" and allows for either USB stick music or CP/AA (the other port is for charging only).

For anyone who doesn't know, ripped FLAC files are ginormous in file size so multiple USB sticks are typically involved (and I'm manually switching b/w my audiphole audio from the USB vs the low-res music from CP). This doesn't get mentioned much because only a tiny percentage of us are ripping MCH FLAC files.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Pro

You forgot to mention Acura failed to give us a HDD as well. To be stuck with only USB for MCH audio is a bit outrageous, especially when previous gen Acura players used to play DVD-A. To add insult to injury, only one USB port is "smart" and allows for either USB stick music or CP/AA (the other port is for charging only).

For anyone who doesn't know, ripped FLAC files are ginormous in file size so multiple USB sticks are typically involved (and I'm manually switching b/w my audiphole audio from the USB vs the low-res music from CP). This doesn't get mentioned much because only a tiny percentage of us are ripping MCH FLAC files.
Okay, thanks for the info. But what does this have to do with the thread labeled “TLX vs the competition “?

Last edited by richii0207; 08-20-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Ok. But what does this have to do with the thread labeled “TLX vs the competition “?
As I was replying to MarcoTLX's comment on comparing his intention to possibly buy a current gen TLX against his older gen TLX, technically that's a form of "competition" as well.
You have to be ok with losing both the CD player and the HDD with the newer TLX.

It's already well established we have some older folks in here who may want either the CD player, HDD, or both!
Old 08-20-2022, 04:58 PM
Pro

As I was replying to MarcoTLX's comment on comparing his intention to possibly buy a current gen TLX against his older gen TLX, technically that's a form of "competition" as well.
You have to be ok with losing both the CD player and the HDD with the newer TLX.

It's already well established we have some older folks in here who may want either the CD player, HDD, or both!
Ahh, sorry. I only read your response and the quoted part of MarcoTLX’s message. Missed the context.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
ELIN (08-20-2022), MarcoTLX (08-21-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:24 PM
Racer

TLX vs the competition discussion is going to inevitably lead to a discussion of why Acura does what it does. When I brought up the Integra not having Homelink in this thread, I was summing up a basic and universal explanation for Acura's sometimes strange and baffling decisions. Here's an example of how I would put this better: Someone asks me why the TLX lacks USB ports for the rear passengers. My answer: Because this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. Why did Acura hobble the TLX Type S with less competitive 0 to 60 times? Because remember, this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. Why does Acura saddle its customers with a dealership experience no better than a Honda dealership experience? Because remember, this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. It's an answer that, for me, works every single time to explain their thinking process.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
ESHBG (08-21-2022), MarcoTLX (08-21-2022), pyrodan007 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:51 PM
Pro

TLX vs the competition discussion is going to inevitably lead to a discussion of why Acura does what it does. When I brought up the Integra not having Homelink in this thread, I was summing up a basic and universal explanation for Acura's sometimes strange and baffling decisions. Here's an example of how I would put this better: Someone asks me why the TLX lacks USB ports for the rear passengers. My answer: Because this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. Why did Acura hobble the TLX Type S with less competitive 0 to 60 times? Because remember, this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. Why does Acura saddle its customers with a dealership experience no better than a Honda dealership experience? Because remember, this is a company that deprives ANY of its models at any trim level with a basic feature like Homelink. It's an answer that, for me, works every single time to explain their thinking process.
But this is a TLX thread, regardless of how you feel with what the company did on the Integra. I think there should be a rant thread in this section so people get let off some steam. I’m not sure how this logic would contribute to the TLX vs Competition topic. That’s more of an “Acura vs Competition” discussion.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
This is indeed true.

I won’t lock this thread for doing so. A thread that refers to X versus Y is going to go off topic a bit which is okay so long as there is respect amongst all of us here.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, we had that "auto rip a CD" feature in the 2014-MDX. We used it the whole 6-years we owned it. It created nice, hi-fidelity quality tracks (even named and tagged them properly via GraceNote).. Also, pretty easy to find and play a whole album.

However, only difference now is you do the ripping/tagging/etc. on your computer instead. Also, gives you an option to use a format like flac. You can now also play the files anywhere (they aren't encrypted, and locked-into the car's HDD.)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16705751
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ESHBG (08-21-2022), MarcoTLX (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Incorrect, tire swaps have been common practice in previous years' Lightning Laps.
Upgrades are common too (eg. Lexus IS500 ran with upgraded brakes and even a transmission cooler)
Again, we're talking track times not drag racing, stop trying to deflect.
Quoted from the 2022 Lightning Lap for the M5 CS:

Unfortunately, BMW didn't send a second set of tires. With only one set to use over three days, the car sat most of the first two days while we waited until the last day to try to set a quick time. Although we didn't have many laps to shave time, the CS proved willing to stay right on the limit in a repeatable and trusty way without much practice. Fresh tires and a few more laps might have been enough to beat the beastly Cadillac.
So, they mention in the overview about how this year the automakers pulled out all the stops and had teams that brought fresh tires & brakes and specifically mention how the M5 CS didn't reap those same advantages compared to most of the competition, but now it's commonplace that this was done in previous years.

Did you even watch the TH video on the Z? Or did you just see the leaderboard and assume the Z would receive high praise for being competent on the track? Because they literally talk non-stop about how not at home the new Z is on the track. The steering is numb, lots of body roll and the car feels all over the place at the limit. They talk about how it's not even remotely close to being a track weapon and Nissan seems to have gone the way of making it more of a GT car ... way on the GT side ... as James jokes GT stands for "Get off the Track." So you hallmarked the TLX-S to being nearly as good as a car that falls far short of expectations in the performance arena. I suppose you're quite accurate to make that comparison.

Does it make it a bad car that should be thrown in a dumpster fire? TH specifically note that it's a comfortable car with a good interior that looks great and drives well on the street. It may not stack up to its competition when talking about performance, but the car is about more than just that. Sound like a familiar argument? From a purely performance aspect though, both are unfortunately sorely lacking. But the silver lining is that there's hope that the aftermarket can rectify a lot of deficiencies of both these cars from the standpoint of speed.

Heck, if there was more aftermarket support (or any) for the CT5-V (non-BW), it would likely be the front-runner on my list:
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
Old 08-21-2022, 06:51 PM
Pro

So, they mention in the overview about how this year the automakers pulled out all the stops and had teams that brought fresh tires & brakes and specifically mention how the M5 CS didn't reap those same advantages compared to most of the competition, but now it's commonplace that this was done in previous years.

Did you even watch the TH video on the Z? Or did you just see the leaderboard and assume the Z would receive high praise for being competent on the track? Because they literally talk non-stop about how not at home the new Z is on the track. The steering is numb, lots of body roll and the car feels all over the place at the limit. They talk about how it's not even remotely close to being a track weapon and Nissan seems to have gone the way of making it more of a GT car ... way on the GT side ... as James jokes GT stands for "Get off the Track." So you hallmarked the TLX-S to being nearly as good as a car that falls far short of expectations in the performance arena. I suppose you're quite accurate to make that comparison.

Does it make it a bad car that should be thrown in a dumpster fire? TH specifically note that it's a comfortable car with a good interior that looks great and drives well on the street. It may not stack up to its competition when talking about performance, but the car is about more than just that. Sound like a familiar argument? From a purely performance aspect though, both are unfortunately sorely lacking. But the silver lining is that there's hope that the aftermarket can rectify a lot of deficiencies of both these cars from the standpoint of speed.

Heck, if there was more aftermarket support (or any) for the CT5-V (non-BW), it would likely be the front-runner on my list:
Since none of the cars discussed are real track cars (Z, Supra, TLX Type S), why even discuss track times or bring up anything regarding a track with any of them?
Old 08-22-2022, 10:03 AM
Pro

BMW didn't provide a 2nd set of tires this year. So what? That doesn't mean other manufacturers haven't in prior years (they have). Read LL articles from the past decade.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:12 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Out of curiosity, since you used the terms, what defines:

Luxury
Luxury - beautiful Marino leather everywhere. Great comfort.

MarcoTLX (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Since none of the cars discussed are real track cars (Z, Supra, TLX Type S), why even discuss track times or bring up anything regarding a track with any of them?
I didn't. Bilirubin was the one who brought up that the Z barely edged out the TLX-S on the TH track.

BMW didn't provide a 2nd set of tires this year. So what? That doesn't mean other manufacturers haven't in prior years (they have). Read LL articles from the past decade.
The "so what" is that it's specifically mentioned when one of the car manufacturers (BMW in this case) didn't have their tires replaced during the weekend. So, if it's not mentioned, one can surmise that the specific contender, whether it be the TLX-S, IS500, the pair of Blackwings, etc ... were getting fresh (though likely shaved) rubber. As for past LLs, briefly going over the overview of 2018 (Stinger) & 2019 (G70), there's no mention of the same offerings as the 2022 LL ... which, again, if it was the norm, why are they specifically notating it for this year?

Some carmakers like to play, though, and this year there were at least 20 people from car and tire manufacturers replacing tires and making sure their entries were performing at their best.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong ... but it's not explicitly written in the previous years, at least not where I could find.

Regardless, I doubt even fresh tires would have been enough to eclipse the deficit faced by the Stinger and G70, nor the fact that the cars now come with optional Pilot Sport 4S rather than 4 which they were tested on, though the G70 might have had a shot making up the 0.7sec deficit ... not so much the case for the Stinger. But it's still not a complete apples to apples comparo seeing as they were done on entirely different years and not the exact same panel of drivers (though I believe there are 2-3 that are consistent through the past 4yrs). That being said, by the same token, it's not exactly a good look for the Korean cousins to be getting beat (or even simply matching) a car weighing over 300lbs more. Though, they can both certainly walk away from it in a straight line.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Hihi
Whew, what conversation! It looks like alotta the stuff I read on the YT comments carries over here lol-
I strongly agree with it being a good option in the sport sedan market. It's ergonomics are well sorted out, even with the compromises it makes with the platform, and its sound system is one of the best measuring in the segment. Additionally the interior is quiet relative to the changes they've made in making the vehicle more engaging to drive, and is still quite practical. The platform itself besides the weight impresses me with how much they were able to get away with suspension for its price point, and while the weight is the big detractor, and to an extent, the FWD/Transverse setup, most that have driven it around, even spiritedly laude how competent it is, even against its competitors, and note how well it works for a daily driver. Numerically it's down on power against most of their competitors, though I must note if it hasn't been said already that HART managed 2nd in class during this year's One Lap of America stint, beating out a handful of rather powerful vehicles among those being a 21' Charger Hellcat Redeye, a 22' Golf R, and the current CT4 V Blackwing. with little more than fluid, tires and pad changes, and is a testament to the vehicle's own capability when put through an endurance test of sorts. It's more indicative of capability than qualifying stints would in the case of LL, least, that's how I view it.
I'll be honest, what I'd like to see is whether I'd like this more personally than the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Reliability concerns aside, I love that vehicle's cabin layout, and its styling has me wracked with indecision as to whether I prefer it or the sharper TLX. It may be smaller by *alot* but I don't think that'd detract me from wanting one lol. As for the drive, I dunno! Used QVs are compelling, and I have as much appreciation for the engineering of that machine as I do for the Acura. What a dilemma! 😅
The following 2 users liked this post by Hexaform:
MarcoTLX (08-23-2022), silverTL6 (09-02-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hexaform
Hihi
Whew, what conversation! It looks like alotta the stuff I read on the YT comments carries over here lol-
I strongly agree with it being a good option in the sport sedan market. It's ergonomics are well sorted out, even with the compromises it makes with the platform, and its sound system is one of the best measuring in the segment. Additionally the interior is quiet relative to the changes they've made in making the vehicle more engaging to drive, and is still quite practical. The platform itself besides the weight impresses me with how much they were able to get away with suspension for its price point, and while the weight is the big detractor, and to an extent, the FWD/Transverse setup, most that have driven it around, even spiritedly laude how competent it is, even against its competitors, and note how well it works for a daily driver. Numerically it's down on power against most of their competitors, though I must note if it hasn't been said already that HART managed 2nd in class during this year's One Lap of America stint, beating out a handful of rather powerful vehicles among those being a 21' Charger Hellcat Redeye, a 22' Golf R, and the current CT4 V Blackwing. with little more than fluid, tires and pad changes, and is a testament to the vehicle's own capability when put through an endurance test of sorts. It's more indicative of capability than qualifying stints would in the case of LL, least, that's how I view it.
I'll be honest, what I'd like to see is whether I'd like this more personally than the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Reliability concerns aside, I love that vehicle's cabin layout, and its styling has me wracked with indecision as to whether I prefer it or the sharper TLX. It may be smaller by *alot* but I don't think that'd detract me from wanting one lol. As for the drive, I dunno! Used QVs are compelling, and I have as much appreciation for the engineering of that machine as I do for the Acura. What a dilemma! 😅

Lots of people like to compare the Type S to cars with MSRPs that START higher than the Type S. Similarly equipped puts those cars in different price brackets. It speaks for itself when it’s constantly compared to cars in higher price brackets when similarly equipped.

Best vehicles that compare would be the Stinger and the G70 which are both overall excellent vehicles as well.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-23-2022 at 09:56 AM.
MarcoTLX (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 11:27 AM
Pro

it's not exactly a good look for the Korean cousins to be getting beat (or even simply matching) a car weighing over 300lbs more.
That's one thing I think we can agree on. Despite having less horsepower and more weight, the TLX still beat the Stinger GT and matched the G70 and Nissan Z on a track.
The narrative or qualifiers you want to discredit that accomplishment is on you.

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition