Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 10:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SteveP66
It does? How so?
Because our "strip" is already black that goes across there so it matches our car! Everyone else has to color match except us.
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Like this Steve :

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:02 PM
Godfather of Chrome

From: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Darth, you really need to take off that front license plate! Screw the law. It's probably only a fix-it ticket anyway.
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:13 PM
Stuck in Kalifornistan

Ok, I have had enough of those door edge guards that go on the lower grills - and now with my chrome job the true chrome door edge guards won't match.

What do you think of this attempt?

I used 2 sets of the 07 TL/TLS trims......OEM they are too short to cover the grill so I had to do a little splicing together.

You can still see a little gap which I think I can fill - sand a little and touch up so that you wouldn't know they are two pieces.

Head on - not too bad .......

Here you can see the splice which I plan on doing a better cover up job on.

Ok, so what do you guys think?

It's only on with 3M tape right now......holding tight but could be removed if I can't get the splice completely masked over.
I'm seeing it in my ... anhi, anthfa, anthra, gunmetal grey with some sort of black mesh similar to something on page...
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by darksom1
Like this Steve :

Well, not quite the same ..... but close. I thought about painting it but this is a little bigger than the OEM grill bar....
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:39 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Ideally, if I can make a good sturdy piece without the seam showing then maybe they can be chromed to match the grill...........
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:43 PM
Godfather of Chrome

From: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Ideally, if I can make a good sturdy piece without the seam showing then maybe they can be chromed to match the grill...........
Oh no you di'n't. Actually, I saw in another post that some guy painted his center strip with chrome paint. I think that might be a pretty good direction to go if you're looking for the chrome look down there...which I am. I think this is a great look for your car right now, though. This is WAAAAY better than those cheesy door edge guard chrome strips that I have (and that you once had). Way better.
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:52 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by brettallica
Oh no you di'n't. Actually, I saw in another post that some guy painted his center strip with chrome paint. I think that might be a pretty good direction to go if you're looking for the chrome look down there...which I am. I think this is a great look for your car right now, though. This is WAAAAY better than those cheesy door edge guard chrome strips that I have (and that you once had). Way better.
Guys I gotta say this...

NO GRILLE CHEESE ALLOWED!!! :shakehead
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:53 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I couldn't agree more - door edge guard I like the fact that these thick strips are more noticable - and the body color isn't a bad option either.

I have an idea in my head how to make the cut cleaner and the strip more durable - I just have to see if I can make it work. You can't really glue the two ends together without gluing it to the grill. Well, unless you get something behind it to support the cut - that's what I'm working out.

I put them on (test fit) when they were still TLS chrome and it did look sweet!
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:54 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I love grilled cheese..... ;-)
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:55 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Ok darksom the video will be up in about 5 mins or so. Very Very short clip! At least it lets you see how bright a $30 mod really is!

Edit: Here it is!

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:56 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Darth, you really need to take off that front license plate! Screw the law. It's probably only a fix-it ticket anyway.
I'm going to find out if it's just a fix it ticket. if it is...it's outta here!!!!!!!!!!! I'll just ride with it in the trunk and if I get pulled over I'll say that my bumper was fixed and they broke the tag bracket, ordered a new one!
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:56 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I'm going to find out if it's just a fix it ticket. If it is...it's outta here!!!!!!!!!!! I'll just ride with it in the trunk and if I get pulled over I'll say that my bumper was fixed and they broke the tag bracket, ordered a new one!
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:02 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Ok darksom the video will be up in about 5 mins or so. Very Very short clip! At least it lets you see how bright a $30 mod really is!

Edit: Here it is!

DDDDAAAAYYYYYUUUMMMM!!!!!!

You can light up a football field with those joints!!! That's fucking bright!!!
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:07 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I think my theme prevents me from using this in my grille, but if I had a lighter theme going...it would be on! hey Sandie, you think I can put those on and just use them at night and it will look ok? I mean, totally out of sight until it got dark outside? I really am thinking about this grille mod! Can you imagine those fuckers coming up behind you in the dark? Damn!! Hella good job Sandie!!!
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:17 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I'm going to find out if it's just a fix it ticket. If it is...it's outta here!!!!!!!!!!! I'll just ride with it in the trunk and if I get pulled over I'll say that my bumper was fixed and they broke the tag bracket, ordered a new one!
That's a good idea, and it *might* get you out of the fix-it ticket to begin with; however, I'm sure cops have heard every excuse in the book when it comes to this kind of thing.

Don't forget to get the plugs that go in the holes where the bracket mounts. You should have them with your car already.
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:18 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I couldn't agree more - door edge guard I like the fact that these thick strips are more noticable - and the body color isn't a bad option either.

I have an idea in my head how to make the cut cleaner and the strip more durable - I just have to see if I can make it work. You can't really glue the two ends together without gluing it to the grill. Well, unless you get something behind it to support the cut - that's what I'm working out.

I put them on (test fit) when they were still TLS chrome and it did look sweet!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The little crack is kind of a nuisance, so fixing that would really wrap up this project nicely.
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:51 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

That's a good idea, and it *might* get you out of the fix-it ticket to begin with; however, I'm sure cops have heard every excuse in the book when it comes to this kind of thing.

Don't forget to get the plugs that go in the holes where the bracket mounts. You should have them with your car already.
Huh? Where are they? Seriously...lol!
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:54 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The little crack is kind of a nuisance, so fixing that would really wrap up this project nicely.
That would really bother me, that whole idea of a cracked bar. It's just that "I" would know it's there.
Old 06-02-2007 | 10:09 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Lightbulb

That would really bother me, that whole idea of a cracked bar. It's just that "I" would know it's there.
Yeah the seam bugs me 2 - I just need to tinker with it and see if I can make it go away or be much less noticable.
Old 06-02-2007 | 10:43 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Huh? Where are they? Seriously...lol!
If your car came from the dealer with the license plate frame already installed, there's a good chance that your dealer just took the plugs for themselves and didn't give them to you. Technically, they are yours, so you're obligated to your set without having to pay a dime for them. They're only like $15 for the pair, but check with the dealer first before spending anything on them. I got mine from the dealer for free.
Old 06-02-2007 | 11:56 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

If your car came from the dealer with the license plate frame already installed, there's a good chance that your dealer just took the plugs for themselves and didn't give them to you. Technically, they are yours, so you're obligated to your set without having to pay a dime for them. They're only like $15 for the pair, but check with the dealer first before spending anything on them. I got mine from the dealer for free.
Ok, I will today. Thanks! I'm trying to find out how to know if it will just be a fix it ticket????
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Guess what Brett? I googled and read on a forum where the ticket is $45 to $60, but usually they don't stop you and ticket you unless they catch yu speeding or something else. Like a secondary offense. A guy asked a cop and he said maybe rookies do that, but not vets. Guess what's coming off Stella as soon as I get off work Monday (because that's when I can get my hole covers).
Old 06-02-2007 | 12:55 PM
RAR

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's funny how subtle the mismatch was originally, but then when you have "the right setup" to compare, it really looks a lot different.

Up next is rims. I've just about had it with grill mods (blasphemy!). Actually, I'm going to redo that rear license plate trim, but that won't be a serious or expensive deal.

After that, I think it might be time for the front A-spec lip. I might reconsider painting some portions of the grill once that's installed, but I'll have to judge whether I want to do that when that time comes. I'm in wheel mode right now, though.

Good job brettallica! to be honest, I really didnt like it much before, but now its looking quite nice.

...wonder if I should try doing the opposite with black...
Old 06-02-2007 | 07:00 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
Good job brettallica! to be honest, I really didnt like it much before, but now its looking quite nice.

See, Lee has been BS'ing ya'll all along...HE is the one who is coveting the NBP...not ME on the WDP...truth comes to light gentleman, I rest my case!
Old 06-02-2007 | 08:01 PM
RAR

See, Lee has been BS'ing ya'll all along...HE is the one who is coveting the NBP...not ME on the WDP...truth comes to light gentleman, I rest my case!
nonsense. I'm just in touch with my inner blackness.
Old 06-02-2007 | 08:14 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

nonsense. I'm just in touch with my inner blackness.
Dat's my dawg!!
Old 06-03-2007 | 02:06 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Thanks, leedogg. All us WDPers need to stick together. I'm glad you like it. I think after I get my rims, the whole look will be more complete.
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:53 PM
King of NYC

OK guys here we go, I did it!!!

what do you guys think? looks good on anthracite!
Old 06-06-2007 | 09:12 PM
I'm in

^ That looks sick!

I just wet myself... So did you do it the same way as darksom1?
Old 06-06-2007 | 09:33 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!

That looks awesome - nice job.......

Tell us all about it and don't leave anything out!!!

Dark - You got competition my friend......
Old 06-06-2007 | 09:44 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by rockyfeller

Rockyfeller, what's up with the lack of a direct frontal shot? We need one of those for a mod like this.

I'm not trying to say it doesn't look great, though. This is indeed one hell of a mod. Nice going!

Now let's see a couple good pics!
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:06 PM
Starcraft II addict

rockyfeller, that looks great. However did you just paint the crossbar black? That's what is looks like with the indirect lighting. The A logo still looks like it's in the stock position which would be hard to accomplish.
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:26 PM
I'm in

^ Your right, he did use the center bar!
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:26 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Buda
rockyfeller, that looks great. However did you just paint the crossbar black? That's what is looks like with the indirect lighting. The A logo still looks like it's in the stock position which would be hard to accomplish.
That's what it looks like to me too... and exactly what I was describing in my previous post. Instead of cutting that bar out, just paint it black to subdue it...

Soon gents.

Black chrome outer frame, flat black painted center bar with black chrome center emblem, with silver mesh behind the grill...
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rockyfeller

WHAT-ZEE-FUCK????

DAYUUUMMM!!!!

Yo Rocky, we got that Double-R thing going...Rocky & Ray!!

Welcome to the Grille Club dawg!! I likes how ya represents!! Rocky man, what the hell else of mine are you going to take next? You lookin' like my brother from the other mother!! LOL!

I would have seen this sooner, but I was over in another thread teaching some Silver wannabes a lesson about "gleaming"!! We gotta hook up one day and do some photos man! We ain't that far away! But I know once that dude from San Diego sees this, he won't be far behind! PPLAPW is too far away to hook up with us, but maybe one day we can! I'm impressed dawg! I guess that look makes ANY color look good! Damn! Get your roll on Rocky...YEZZIR!!
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Kennedy
That's what it looks like to me too... and exactly what I was describing in my previous post. Instead of cutting that bar out, just paint it black to subdue it...

Soon gents.

Black chrome outer frame, flat black painted center bar with black chrome center emblem, with silver mesh behind the grill...
Stop talking that Keith Sweat stuff ("I'm Gonna") and do it!
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:37 PM
Starcraft II addict

lol, it takes time to get those emblems back from Alex. I'll be getting the Rear A emblems from Tim this week. I'll be sending them off to Alex along with the italic TL for Steve.
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:37 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
^ Your right, he did use the center bar!
WHAT???

Damn, damn, damn!!! R-O-C-K-Y!!!! I thought we were twins!!!
You fooled my ass!! That ain't right man!! LOL! Well, it still looks good anyway...but that ain't right! LOL!
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

waiting for parts...
no crappy R&B references from my childhood. More Tom Petty references... "The waiting is the hardest part".

Buda, Steve, Ray... One of you guys have an extra center bar I could buy so I could go ahead and experiment in painting it?

Steve, you ever hear back from the TL-S rear trim guy? I might wanna try again too.

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!