Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP66

Hey, how come you haven't answered my PM? About the emblem. I didn't even know you did it. How come you didn't tell me how then bro? Not tell me WHAT to use, I mean HOW.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Alex called today... My chrome work is done. Kennedy's custom grille is one step closer. Probably next weekend boys.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW THE HELL THIS MORON CAN GET THAT STRIP OF TAPE TO HOLD MY REAR EMBLEM ON WITHOUT IT OVERLAPPING??? I KNOW WHAT TO USE, BUT HOW DO I USE IT TO DO THAT????

Ok, that feels so much better! Shit, ya'll act like you can't see me over here all distressed and what not!! What the fuck! Help a brother out!! hahahahahaha
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Hey, how come you haven't answered my PM? About the emblem. I didn't even know you did it. How come you didn't tell me how then bro? Not tell me WHAT to use, I mean HOW.
I did get back to you...........LOL and I posted the pictures in that thread - the one you were talking about it in. Are you getting oldtimers?

LOL - It's super easy to swap the emblem. I used some 3M tape to put it on since the OEM tape wasn't sticking. The only hart part was trimming the tape to go around the emblem. You gotta make it rather skinny
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Alex called today... My chrome work is done. Kennedy's custom grille is one step closer. Probably next weekend boys.
Wow - I can't wait to see what you come up with !!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW THE HELL THIS MORON CAN GET THAT STRIP OF TAPE TO HOLD MY REAR EMBLEM ON WITHOUT IT OVERLAPPING??? I KNOW WHAT TO USE, BUT HOW DO I USE IT TO DO THAT????

Ok, that feels so much better! Shit, ya'll act like you can't see me over here all distressed and what not!! What the fuck! Help a brother out!! hahahahahaha

Calm down Darky..... I had to cut the tape in thin strips to make it work without overlapping. It was tedious.......but it will hold. If you think you are going to give it a shot yourself just let me know - I'll guide ya through it.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:36 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Ok, I took my medication. I feel better now. I just wanted to know where is the love, that's all. I know everything is going to be ok now.

Acura said they would do it for $20, but my guess is that they are assuming I have one with the factory adhesive on it. Dammit! I don't, so that means I have to do exactly what you guys are saying, and what I thought - but was hoping I didn't know what the fawk I was doing, and now it turns out I did , I gotta cut the tape to match the emblem, or trim around it.

Ok, all is right in Maryland again, mofo AZ rocks, and all that shit...lol!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
It is - I'm sorry.........I never use my cell phone for pics....lol.

Brett do you still have your hood trim? I forgot his s/n but the guy who put the 07 front bumper on his 04 needs one. I sent him your way............
I still have an '07 hood trim piece. However it is slightly darker now as I had sent it to Alex as a test piece to see how just adding color to the existing nickel plating would look.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who will create post #1000 in this thread?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by brettallica
Who will create post #1000 in this thread?
Looks like I will.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Starcraft II addict

Ahh, no fair. I was shopping for clothes.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

What the...oh hell no!!!

That's ok, I'll just have to make another 999 posts! I can do this...no prob!!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

What the...oh hell no!!!

That's ok, I'll just have to make another 999 posts! I can do this...no prob!!
That shouldn't take you long LOL
Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Kennedy - I'm out of it today so it's kind of hard to picture what you're planning, but it sounds interesting...looking forward to pics.

darksom1 -
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever try this one out? Really cheap and seems easy to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...ayphotohosting
Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by Ricky Vaughn

I think Kennedy is doing that.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah but he isn't using the eBay "kit"...........I think I read he was going to hollow out the 06 grill and replace it all with mesh. The eBay kit goes over what we already have - like a cover.

How is your black chrome coming Buda??? Any new samples back from Alex?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

The eBay kit goes over what we already have - like a cover.
The Ebay kit is for "wannabes"!! Not no...but hell no!!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Ricky Vaughn

That kit doesn't do anything for me, personally, especially with NBP and that stock brushed aluminum grill trim. It would look OK with some other complimentary touches, but the way that seller has it advertised, I think it looks not-so-good.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Starcraft II addict

Yeah but he isn't using the eBay "kit"...........I think I read he was going to hollow out the 06 grill and replace it all with mesh. The eBay kit goes over what we already have - like a cover.

How is your black chrome coming Buda??? Any new samples back from Alex?
Just emailed Alex today. It's been raining there so they haven't worked on them. He said this week should be good weather and they will start in on them. By the time they are done I may have to have them shipped to Kansas. Yep that's right Buda is moving to KC. I just gave my two weeks notice tonight.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Whoa - what about the hot roomate? Pack her up and take her with you !!! LOL
Oh you are gonna be real busy moving again - good luck!!!

Do you know what kind of process he uses? How does one chrome something?
Just curious......why does the rain make a difference.....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Wait a minute...you have a hot roommate and you're moving? You did smash it right, I mean, if you're leaving, it can't be awkward...hahahahahaha
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Starcraft II addict

lol, funny guys. Ok get this for moving.

I moved in the middle of may to the current place with hot roommate. Two weeks after I moved in she asked me to move out at the end of June. Her family ran into problems and her mom needs to move in for a while. So now I have to move out on Saturday, put everything in storage and crash at a friends place for a week. Then I'll be moving to KC a week from saturday. I'm moving in with my best friend there while I look to buy a house which means moving again by the end of the year. Talk about to much moving.

Steve, per your question not sure what the whole process entails but since the emblems we sent are already chromed then he just has to do the coloring. However the humidity and all that matters when he is doing it I guess.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Buda
lol, funny guys. Ok get this for moving.

I moved in the middle of may to the current place with hot roommate. Two weeks after I moved in she asked me to move out at the end of June. Her family ran into problems and her mom needs to move in for a while. So now I have to move out on Saturday, put everything in storage and crash at a friends place for a week. Then I'll be moving to KC a week from saturday. I'm moving in with my best friend there while I look to buy a house which means moving again by the end of the year. Talk about to much moving.

Steve, per your question not sure what the whole process entails but since the emblems we sent are already chromed then he just has to do the coloring. However the humidity and all that matters when he is doing it I guess.

Wholy Moving Man....well at least this sounds like a good move - new place, new job - new opportunities all over. Best of Luck my friend.

Not to worry about the chrome process - I was only asking because a guy at work saw my TL and was asking how I got the chrome to look like that.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:36 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Hahahaha...do any of you feel this happening to you? It's been happening to me since Stella was a baby...

Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Godfather of Chrome

^ Dude, how metaphorical!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Darksom, that's funny as shit.

Steve and others... while waiting on my chrome from Alex to come in, I ordered the lower 2007 TL lower grill trims, like steve modified.

Did you duys know the TL-S chrome trims are OEM black chromed to amtch the grill? Just got mine in.

Steve, I need better detail on how you attached these, and how you trimmed them to fit.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Darksom, that's funny as shit.

Steve and others... while waiting on my chrome from Alex to come in, I ordered the lower 2007 TL lower grill trims, like steve modified.

Did you duys know the TL-S chrome trims are OEM black chromed to amtch the grill? Just got mine in.

Steve, I need better detail on how you attached these, and how you trimmed them to fit.
No problem, it was pretty easy.

I bought two sets since they are not long enough to cover the whole lower grill.

I cut the outside edge of one trim flat with the dremel - then took the other "half" and cut the inside edge flat as well. The tricky part is getting the cut to splice together without it being obvious.

I also removed the tabs that stick out along the top/bottom of the trim - the ones on the inside you can probably leave - although I cut those off as well.

I tried them on with 3M tape and that worked out well - held them on pretty good. I haven't had a chance to work on the splice joint yet but I think by sanding the raw edges of the trims I can get a better fitment.

It would be cool to keep the OEM finish but with the cutting and sanding I don't see that happening.

I'm still looking for the time to get back to this and finally finish it. I like the initial look so I think I need to finish it up and get them on for good.

Wish they could be chromed (maybe they will) but they look good body color too.
I'm not sure Alex can chrome over these with the paint and stuff or without them coming apart.......

One of the problems is it's hard to attach the two pieces together without gluing or attaching them directly to the grill - it's not something you can snap on and take off later if you want to unless you do 3M. They need something inside the back grove to help keep them stuck together.

I thought about taking a small piece out of the OEM grill (the bar that goes across) and using that inside the back of the trim. That would give the two pieces something to glue to.

Hard to describe but I'll see if I can draw some kinda picture or something this week so you can see what I have in mind.

I'm also contimplating the powdercoated mesh as long as I'm working down there........I should be ordering some this week.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me know what you guys think. I was thinking about incorporating the new MDX grill into the TL grill. Do you guys think that would look good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6194231&rd=1,1
Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Sparkybytes
Let me know what you guys think. I was thinking about incorporating the new MDX grill into the TL grill. Do you guys think that would look good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6194231&rd=1,1

It's not a bad grill but I'm not so sure it would look good on the TL.
Let's try it - can someone photoshop this onto the TL?

[

Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
In my opinion the one thing I really DISLIKE about the MDX is exactly that grille. If it wasn't for that I'd love the way it looks. (Also I am not a fan of the layout of the dashboard but that's another story)

I also don't think it would translate well with the lines of the TL either. It could be done though. It's hard to tell by the pic but are the grille openings ovals, slits or round? If they are round, there was a link posted somewhere in one of these pages. Someone knew of a website that has a really good selection of grille material. (The clue is someone had bought a sample grille kit for like $10 in which they mail you like 4-6 samples. I forgot who it was that was buying from that company) I remember seeing some grille material with round hole patterns in it.

The open crossbar would be the challenge, and something totally custom would have to be done there. You'd have to cut the crossbar built into the bumper too.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Man, without question, this is the ugliest fucking grille I have ever seen on an Acura!! It looks like fucking King Arthur's shield or some shit! The question is not if it would fit, it's why in the name of all that is holy would you want that thing on your car????? Are you in search of the Holy Grail?? I mean, what the fuck are those things, perforations??? OMG, the horror, the images, the holes...please make them stop!!

Uhhh...other than that...hell...it's great!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

^ Humm, I don't think he likes it......LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 02:23 AM
King of NYC

It looks like fucking King Arthur's shield or some shit!
HAAHHA! I may have wanted to say the same thing, but I always try to be polite but leave it to you Darky to be so blunt. You have a way with words man! (reminds me of one of my close friends who talks like that , lol!)

Daym kidd, think you scared sparkybytes away!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Daym kidd, think you scared sparkybytes away!
Which would really be fucked up because I encouraged him to bring his idea in here to be discussed in the first place (tho truth to be told, I didn't know it was that)! When I ranted just now, I wasn't even thinking it was his baby! LOL! Oops?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This comes to mind..

Or Something like this?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by sparkybytes
07-02-2007 8:27 PM
Sparkybytes Let me know what you guys think. I was thinking about incorporating the new MDX grill into the TL grill. Do you guys think that would look good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...36194231&rd=1,1

On my god - I think I just lost my breakfast........no go sparky - step away from eBay.....step away from eBay.....easy, careful, signoff.........

Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by mikiTL
This comes to mind..

Or Something like this?
Stop it! You're killing me! That's hilarious! Are we on the air? We are...ok...Miki due to it being 3:23PM EST, I can't rant on this one becuz of the kids that are watching. Feel free to uhhh, idk, check out my previous "opinion" on this grille (post # 1022)! LOL! And Miki, please show it to the hubby if you feel yourself starting to actually like that grille sugar! Definitely not a "Look what I bought Honey" type thing babydoll!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
really!?!? I thought I made it look good

It was too hot to sleep so I tried it out, my husband actually likes it alot, especially the bottom one. He said it looks kinda Mercedez-ish..
Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM
King of NYC

That picture is not worth even 1 word let alone a thousand.

:ghey:

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!