Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess for just having an easy application to do the "open grille" look it's ok, but the route that others as well as myself have gone looks like more of an "OEM" feel.

Not knocking that look, but it looks like a bolt on, as opposed to factory look, which was what I was trying to get out of my mod when I did it. Maybe it's the thickness of it that doesn't do it for me. That gap up at the top (hate it) is going to start annoying you if you are one of those people that likes it just right. I couldn't get past that if it were mine.

All in all, good job man. Would def be a good way to go if you don't have the wherewithal to do the original mod guys. To each his own...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have anyone tried this mesh grille for the TL 07-08?

Acura TL 07-08 Hood Molding Bumper Mesh Grill Grille
Item number: 350231380088

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350231380088
Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Here is my contribution.................. "The Shark Mouth"

I realize that I will get grilled for my grill, but I am after function over form. Mesh will allow only approx 60% of the air to flow thru it. I am after all of the air flow I can get to reduce my under hood temperature.

Without a mesh, I am taking a change with foreign objects hitting the AC condenser. It happens, but it is a rare occurrence. A person loses either way (pick your poison).

The pic below shows oem items that where removed.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

"The Shark Mouth" - DIY

INTRODUCTION

First, some background info. The meshed open-style grill is commonly referred to as the "PPLAPW grill" because Acurazine member "PPLAPW" posted a How-to several years ago. Although according to PPLAPW, the real pioneer of the meshed open grill is Acurazine member "ACCURATEin". I added the twist of having no mesh to this "PPLAPW grill", and I call my version (with no mesh) as "The Shark Mouth".

The Shark Mouth grill was developed as part of The Ultimate Cooling Mod (click here). I placed the DIY here because it is another grill style option. Unlike the other grill styles in this thread, "The Shark Mouth" version has emphasis in function over form. It is not for the faint-of-heart. It is for the hardcore person looking for a rough-look and/or max airflow thru the grill. Plus, some compromises are required (can open hood from outside, risk debris hitting condenser).

No mesh or screen was installed because mesh will allow less than 60% (maybe less than 50%) of the air to flow thru it. I want all of the airflow that I can get to reduce my under hood temperature. Without a mesh, I am taking a chance with foreign objects hitting the AC condenser. It happens, but it is a rare occurrence. A person loses either way. Pick your poison - 1) dinged or damaged condenser or 2) less airflow.

Interestingly, most manufactures choose to leave the grill open. Many cars/trucks come oem with very open grills. My wife's 2003 Acura RL has very wide openings in the oem grill which exposes the condenser to flying foreign objects. Another example is the Nissan Titan (see pic above). I searched the Nissan Titan Forum (www.titantalk.com) and was unable to find a single instance of a damaged ac condenser, nor any issues at all with the wide-open lower grill. Also, I checked a few motorcycle forums discussing their exposed radiators. The motorcycles do experience a few problems because their front tires will kick-up road debris and their radiator is directly in-line with the front tire.

By having no mesh, the hood is able to be manually opened by reaching into the shark's mouth and operating the latch mechanism with your finger. This is an issue. Myself, I don't worry. We live with similar threats already. Someone could throw a large rock thru your window to gain entry. Someone could use a crowbar to rip out your headlights. Someone could steal my wheels because I have no wheel locks. Someone could spray paint or "key" the side of your car. Someone could slash your tires. I try to be careful, and that is the extent of my worrying. If it happens, I can fix and/or replace stuff. I only truly worry if I die, leaving my wife by herself. I truly worry if my wife is hurt or dies.

OVERALL PROCEDURE

I did my grill without removing the bumper, and I had easy access to everything. Although, I am not sure if this was because I have no metal bumper beam installed. So, just try it first with the bumper on. You will need the remove the plastic panel running above the bumper/radiator and the plastic panel along the bottom of the bumper/radiator. You will be reaching behind the grill via these two openings (from top and from bottom).

With those panels removed, reach between the condenser/radiator and the grill. Remove the screws as shown in the two pics above. Be extremely careful to not touch the condenser/radiator fins. They bend super easy.

Please be aware that once you cut the middle bar (see pic above), this mod is *not* reversible. If you want to "try it on for size" before committing to it, you can remove the Center Molding piece and the Grill Covering, leaving just the Middle Bar (support bar that is integrated into the bumper). The grill will look just like the pic above shows. I did this for one day just to make sure. You will need to use your imagination to visualize the Shark Mouth by overlooking the middle bar (found behind the Center Molding piece).

I removed the Latch Cover, Latch Sensor, and dremel'ed off a section of the Backing Plate (see pic above). These items were removed to improve the appearance (less clutter) and to expose more surface area to the airflow.

I used a Dremel to cut the middle bar. I seen pics of other guys using a hacksaw. Above is a pic of my partner-in-crime.

Above is a pic of the Dremel Cutting Wheel that I used. This cutting wheel was used to remove the Middle Bar and to cut off a section of the Backing Plate.

To complete the Shark Mouth, you need to paint this area (dashed red lines in pic above) using a ultra flat black color. This area needs to be painted because this area will now be visible thru the opening and needs to have a "blacked out" treatment. I used masking tape to define the area to be painted.

Here are the steps I followed for painting:

- I used a large piece of cardboard to cover the front of the AC condenser to prevent painting the condenser fins.
- The latch mechanism had to be removed and cleaned because it was covered in a tar-like coating.
- Mineral Spirits was used to clean the removed latch mechanism (and allowed to dry) before painting.
- Painted the latch mechanism while off of the car.
- Removed the two support bars, cleaned them, and painted them separately while off of the car.
- With the support bars remove, Mineral Spirits was used to clean the area that was masked-off (red dashed area in pic above).
- Mineral Spirits was used to clean the bolt, and then painted (just the bolt head/face).

I used Krylon "Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology", Ultra-Flat Black color. No special reason for choosing this product. However after using this Krylon Camouflage, I do like it because it dries super fast and almost impossible to get runs.

After painting everything, I reinstalled the two support bars and the latch mechanism.

Removed the "Hood Molding" piece and "front grille lower molding" piece (see two pics above). Degreased, dried, and painted. The same Krylon Camouflage paint was used to paint the two molding pieces. The paint will be chipped often by flying pebbles. So, plan to periodically remove these two plastic pieces and repaint as needed.

By the way, if you do want mesh, the mesh can be purchased from Custom Car Grills (link). I purchased the "12x48 Hexagon Grill Mesh Powercoat Black" (*not* the XXL size) from CustomCarGrills. I ordered the mesh *before* I decided to run with nothing in the opening. I had no problems with ordering and delivery was quick.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Hahah nice write up. I enjoyed the pics.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Thanks Inaccurate for probably the most thorough attempt for a DIY on cutting the grille. I get PMs about meshing the grill ALL day! I should have done a DIY when I did this awhile ago.

I doubt many will venture for the FULL shark mouth by cutting all those braces, (90% are too scared to cut anything let alone even cutting the bumper for the mesh grille mod!) I am sure those pics and explanations will help many to do the edited version of the mod to do a mesh grille mod at least and I will direct people to that post from now on.

BTW I totally back up Inaccurate's suggestion to use customcargrills. It's where I ordered from and my grille STILL looks absolutely perfect. It is automotive grade and high quality, not some cheap rusty, chipable Ebay stuff. I really recommend you spend the few more bucks, do it right the 1st time, and get the powercoated option. It's totally worth it!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 08-21-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi all,

To bring a thread back from the dead ... I was wondering where I can purchase the middle chrome grill trim for my 06 3GTL ... some people otld me they were on ebay, but I just couldn't find any for dear life ... please advise! Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
PM infamous, he might have one!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks for the heads up! ill be sure to pm him
Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm assuming you threw a CEL when you took off the sensor?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jpm3071
I'm assuming you threw a CEL when you took off the sensor?
No CEL is caused by removing the Latch Sensor. And even better is that the circuit has no fail-safe feature. That is, the system will think that everything is ok when the connector is unplugged.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i really like the shark mouth mod not sure how it would look on a nbp tl and if i want to cut that out i havnt really found any grills any one have any suggestions
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
why cant we have a grill like the Legend/RL? I really love this grill.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^I like the headlights more. Mmmmm
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
the whole thing is WIN.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
only decided to plastidip the grille and leave the A symbol stock