Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
"Stealthbox" for 1st gen TSX JL Audio 12TW3-D4

Category: Audio/Video/Electronics
Price: $550
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part Fits (you may select multiples): TSX 1G
Location (State/Prov/Terr): KS
Item Condition: Used

This is a JL Audio 12TW3-D4 and custom fiberglass "Stealthbox" for a 1st gen TSX. I'm also including an SGR-12TW3 mesh grill.

I built this enclosure for my wife's TSX in fall of 2013. It was installed toward the end of November '13. She never really hammered on the system and the woofer is in fantastic shape. Just broken in.

This is a solid fiberglass (approx 3/8" thick) enclosure with a 1.5" MDF flush mount speaker mounting flange.

It is a sealed enclosure with approx .9 cu ft net internal volume (just a tick over recommended spec) and covered in a trunk liner that matches the stock trunk carpet very well.

It mounts via a 5/8" hole in the back of the enclosure that will allow a bolt to travel through the body of the car into the area behind the right rear wheel arch cover. I used a 9/16" stainless nut/bolt/washer assembly to secure the enclosure to the car. It does not budge when mounted in this configuration. You can attempt a different mounting system if you like, but mine worked pretty stinkin' well.

This enclosure sounds really good in the car and is really designed on the sq end vs. the spl end, but these subs have a remarkable amount of output, especially if you compare them to other "shallow" woofers. If you haven't heard one they are quite impressive.

I am selling this because Sept. 1st my wife got hit in the LF corner and the car got totaled. She's not getting another 1st gen TSX so off it goes.

I am a mobile electronics system designer/technician/fabricator that has been continuously working in the mobile electronics industry since 1999 (i.e. this is well built, I know what the hell I'm doing) For fun consider this a resume (my TL build threads):
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...ne-now-853485/

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-874799/

The sub retails for $349.95, the grill for $24.95. The enclosure took me approx 20 hours to build. Our shop rate is $60/hour + materials. Since it was for my own car I took my time. Realistically if I were to bid this to a customer I'd quote 16 hrs ($960) plus materials (~$100). So if you were to walk in and ask for one of these to be built 1 off you'd get quoted a little over $1400.

JL sells Stealthboxes that are constructed very similarly for $650-$850 using the 10 and 12TW3 woofers.

I am asking $550 obo shipped to the lower 48

On to the pics:

Sorry for the crappy in car pics. Lighting at the tow lot was sub-optimal.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by DiamondJoeQuimby; 09-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
bump