Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Oh I see. So doing mesh with the powdercoating then. At first I thought you meant powdercoating the OEM grills. I think I'm leaning toward mesh with powdercoating instead of just naked aluminum-y mesh. Then, paint the horizontal strip body color.
Oh...... I would leave the OEM grill as is black just strip out the grill pieces and set in the black PC grill mesh.

.......... I have a trick up my sleeve for the horizontal strip!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Blacking it out as in YOU doing it,or professional?
Nah... I'm not paying anyone to do this. After watching the monkey bust my lower windshield cowling replacing my cracked windshield, i was reminded of the old addage... "Noone care about YOUR stuff more than YOU".

I'm a pretty proffessional guy though... but i do plan to do it myself.

Steve, a note of advice. I would NOT install that front lip if you plan to do lower grills in the near future. You have to remove the lip to replace the grills, and in doing so, you weaken/trash the 2 sided tape used to secure it.

I now have a nice looking gap between the body and the front lip. It never reattaches the same unless you apply new 3M tape. Someday when I'm motivated I'll pull it and add more tape again.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Nah... I'm not paying anyone to do this. After watching the monkey bust my lower windshield cowling replacing my cracked windshield, i was reminded of the old addage... "Noone care about YOUR stuff more than YOU".

I'm a pretty proffessional guy though... but i do plan to do it myself.

Steve, a note of advice. I would NOT install that front lip if you plan to do lower grills in the near future. You have to remove the lip to replace the grills, and in doing so, you weaken/trash the 2 sided tape used to secure it.

I now have a nice looking gap between the body and the front lip. It never reattaches the same unless you apply new 3M tape. Someday when I'm motivated I'll pull it and add more tape again.

I hear ya - the lowers are in the future - or as soon as I can get to working on them. Still floating ideas around in my head.

I have no problem replacing all the tape if I end up removing it later for the grills. In fact replacing it would probably yield better staying power!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to remove the lip to replace the grills, and in doing so, you weaken/trash the 2 sided tape used to secure it.

How long does that stuff usually last anyway? The life of the car? I think mine was replaced when I had that accident. Too neat of a fit to not have been, since they removed it entirely.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Not sure how long it lasts but I have an automotive supply retail store that primarily sells to body shops near me - I went it a few weeks ago and purchased a whole roll of the super strength 3M tape. I planned on beefing up the OEM tape when I install my kit. Maybe I'll leave the extra off the front for now......

because the new lowers should be done within a couple months.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Maybe I'll leave the extra off the front for now......

because the new lowers should be done within a couple months.
I'm not going to say anything...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Give a guy a break - LOL.

I still have to order the mesh ....(going with the small diamond pattern in black powdercoat) in fact I was going to order it today but I have to go out and measure the grills to make sure I order the correct size.

I also have a plan for trying to use the 07 bar across the middle strip. If I can modify two into one and it looks clean I will get it off to be chromed to match.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (4 members and 0 guests)
trancemission, SteveP66, darksom1, brettallica

the three reasons why this thread (and some others) is so long
Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

That was not cool Ethan...

Originally Posted by trancemission
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (4 members and 0 guests)
trancemission, SteveP66, darksom1, brettallica

the three reasons why this thread (and some others) is so long
Ethan, why post something like that? No way you don't know that is inflammatory. It doesn't make a difference that the tomato thing is at the end of a negative comment like that one. Why is it so hard to get moderator support on this?

How about how many people have posted in this thread and benefitted from the ideas in this thread Ethan? Besides, I peruse the threads in this forum daily. There is not one thread on the front page that talks about designing something new for your car to the length that this one does, and shows the results. This thread actually represents what people come to this forum for. To discuss your car and experiences, and to mod. Right? So this is no "Car Talk" thread, this is actually a thread that works for AZ. It's all about perception. Moderators seem to be negative. Plus, we created another thread that is specifically there for posting these ideas, and the DIY for those ideas right? So what gives with that type of posting?

I agree that there are many "much ado about nothing" threads in AZ. But when you find one that actually helps people, why not promote it positively, instead of popping in once in a while to "see if today is the day you should close it"? Man, you have threads dating back to 2004 in here. No one closed them. And they are about nothing!

By the way, why is it that moderators never have anything positive to say about certain threads? Like, seriously Ethan, in not ONE post or thread where I put a picture of my car, whether that is one I started or another, has a moderator said "good job" or "nice" or anything? My grille mod is a significant change for the TL as far as looks. But, because they think I'm a whore or whatever, they boycott my threads unless it's to figure out whether or not to close it. I put up a thread (where there are countless others, no less) of pictures of my ride and what do I get from the moderators? "I guess you don't need a highlight" now! LOL! C'mon man! Why the hell are you guys always around trying to break my balls and what not! I just find that hysterical. Like you intentionally grouped together and decided not to say anything postive about certain members. If that is wrong...prove it. I know my ride is nice. I know it is. I know "I say" that it is nice. Pictures are nice. I keep it clean. BUT, I also say other people's rides are nice! Doesn't even matter who it is, even moderators. If you do work on your car, and post it, I give you the props it deserves. But some people post only if they like the person or not. That type of behavior makes this forum a joke to serious car people. I help out on AZ when people need it if I can. Show me ONE postive post from a moderator. Just one. Not like I need that from you guys, but it proves my point that you don't. That's the point. If I didn't speak my mind to you, then I would see the love. But stand up to someone, even in the manner in which I do it (with decorum), then you get blacklisted.

I ain't mad. Least of all at you Ethan, but I do think that is pathetic. This is directed at ALL moderators. In a forum where there are plenty of "hey guess what I did last night" posts, I can't even see the point of looking at this one and saying it has no merit for lasting as long as it has. But, that's just me. though I am sure I ain't alone in that thought. I just hope that post of your's wasn't a "bait" post. Like if one of them says something, namely me, that I will shut it down. Because despite the fact that I talk to you guys in PM, I have NEVER posted negative thoughts about moderators in my threads or others. But you know I don't agree with some of the tactics used by them. So I may speak out against it, but never in a derogatory manner. In fact, even never like your post Ethan.

How about if one of you guys click in here and see someone working on a grille mod, trying to make our car better, which we are supposed to be about - having something postive to say without sarcasm? How about that for once?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
WOW.......okay, well Ray the tomato was just me bustin your balls, it was a joke, Im sorry you took it that way, I thought I knew you better than that,

It doesn't make a difference that the tomato thing is at the end
obviously I dont, so now I see you've taken my comment to heart and aired out all your laundry right here about the staff at AcuraZine.

I don’t have a problem with this thread, I never did. You are correct, this thread is a positive thread with a lot of great ideas. I quoted you three because you three have this little grill group and I thought that was funny.

I was just messing with you in this thread like YOU have done to other members in other threads.

Moderators seem to be negative
Well I’m sorry you think that. We don’t always have wonderful things to say. Not all our posts are full of rainbows and butterflies.

But after reading your entire post it is apparent to me that you have a problem with the way we are running 3G. I really don’t know what to tell you. Believe me Ray, if I had a problem with this thread I would’ve just closed it. I would not have asked you if I could. If I didn’t want to give you a reason why, I really don’t have to. But we do as a courtesy to you. By now most of you know the rules.

So……in closing, I came in here and took a harmless shot at you, Brett and Steve and I should’ve put a disclaimer at the end of my post saying it was a joke. But you needed to get something off your chest and you did. I hope you feel better now. If you really have that much of an issue with the staff here at AcuraZine then maybe this isn’t the forum for you….

Show me ONE postive post from a moderator. Just one.
I could show you thousands
Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by trancemission
WOW.......okay, well Ray the tomato was just me bustin your balls, it was a joke, Im sorry you took it that way, I thought I knew you better than that,

obviously I dont, so now I see you've taken my comment to heart and aired out all your laundry right here about the staff at AcuraZine.

I don’t have a problem with this thread, I never did. You are correct, this thread is a positive thread with a lot of great ideas. I quoted you three because you three have this little grill group and I thought that was funny.

I was just messing with you in this thread like YOU have done to other members in other threads.

Well I’m sorry you think that. We don’t always have wonderful things to say. Not all our posts are full of rainbows and butterflies.

But after reading your entire post it is apparent to me that you have a problem with the way we are running 3G. I really don’t know what to tell you. Believe me Ray, if I had a problem with this thread I would’ve just closed it. I would not have asked you if I could. If I didn’t want to give you a reason why, I really don’t have to. But we do as a courtesy to you. By now most of you know the rules.

So……in closing, I came in here and took a harmless shot at you, Brett and Steve and I should’ve put a disclaimer at the end of my post saying it was a joke. But you needed to get something off your chest and you did. I hope you feel better now. If you really have that much of an issue with the staff here at AcuraZine then maybe this isn’t the forum for you….

I could show you thousands
Ethan I am going to PM you when I get home from work because you took me out of context. This wasn't an attack on you, I said this is for ALL moderators. And for the record...I said give me one postive post about my mods from a moderator...I stand by that. You can't show me one.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Give a guy a break - LOL.

I still have to order the mesh ....(going with the small diamond pattern in black powdercoat) in fact I was going to order it today but I have to go out and measure the grills to make sure I order the correct size.

I also have a plan for trying to use the 07 bar across the middle strip. If I can modify two into one and it looks clean I will get it off to be chromed to match.
Hmm...When you get that ordered, can you PM me with the people that you used? Sometimes I think of that, and if I should ever have flaking (after repeated re-finishings, since I have lifetime warranty on paint), I will want to use someone for powdercoating.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah it's actually http://www.customcargrills.com

I have some small samples of each type of mesh they offer - the samples are all bare metal but the PC finish can be applied to any grill sheet at the time you order.

I can post a couple pics of the sample kit if anyone is interested in seeing the different types of mesh they offer or better yet you can just go to the website and view them there.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Yeah it's actually http://www.customcargrills.com

I have some small samples of each type of mesh they offer - the samples are all bare metal but the PC finish can be applied to any grill sheet at the time you order.

I can post a couple pics of the sample kit if anyone is interested in seeing the different types of mesh they offer or better yet you can just go to the website and view them there.
Haha...I just read that avatar of your's! Good site man! They have a lot of stuff! I wonder where the guy got mine from?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Black Chromed License plate trim

Ok so this is not the grill, but it was done to complement the grill that Steve now has and he will also be getting this piece too. Let's call this the "rear grill".

I had alex go a little darker on this before I knew that Steve was buying them from me. However I think that this will still match in with the parts steve has now. It does look better on the NBP now though.

Please ignore any dirt and swirls as she goes in for a detail on wednesday.

Ok enough talking, here are the pics! Remember it will vary in different lighting, but since this one is a little darker it is more consistent in the light.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

WOW - That looks great !!

Let me go snap of pic of the rear of mine - I have the emblems on now.....
Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah, Rear Grill Mod - Perfect Timing Buda!

And here is where that trim will end up! Buda sold me his first set of chrome mods and they happily made there way to my TL. The finish is really sweet on the ASM.

The "TL" will eventually be replaced with the 07 version colored to match. I like the look of the italic one a little better than the 06.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Starcraft II addict

OMG, those look sweet Steve! They go really well on the silver car. I'll send out the trim on monday to you. Putting that on will really complete the look in the rear.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah they look good ..... the hint of blue in the chrome is really emphasised by the ASM.

Oh and I am mailing you your stuff Monday as well - I just wrapped it all up and got it ready to ship. The 06 trim, the 07 trim and my italic TL......thanks!!

Brett - your trim piece is mailing at the same time :-)

Couldn't get to the PO this morning.

I think it's important with our grill mods that we don't loose sight of our rears!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Here are some pics of the Type-S trim piece from ebay...

Just finished the Type-S trim... The result is bittersweet.
As you know, from bretallica's post:

You can force the trim to fit, but the trimming you have to do is a guess science and it's not perfect. I trimed it about 1mm too short on both sides, but even taking my time it difficult to make a template and even more difficult to eyeball . Test fitting is awkward becaue I figured out that the ill fitment is because the mounts are about 2mm wider than the original as well, and that's where a predominance of the resistance (bowing in the center) is coming from.

I just used a cutting wheel to trim/grind the edge ever so carefully:

Then per bretallica's instructions, epoxied one the 2 removed mounting tabs to the center:

Then bolted it on (2 sided tape in the middle too):

You can almost make out the 1mm gap from my trimming. I'll discuss this in a minute.

This is one part I don't like... The edge is not fully recessed. You can barely see the edge where I ground off the nickel plate. That That edge is also very sharp, you have to be careful with your detail cloth.

Other side:

Finished:

So...
It kinda fits, but I'm a perfectionsist, and the minor issues you see above irk me. I'm considering sending my rear trim to Alex for chroming to replace this piece.

Problem is, this is an OEM piece that's copper, nickel, then tinted chrome plated... quality stuff, and it's gauranteed to match the front OEM stuff and TL-S tails.

I'm not sure how Alex is chroming, but needless to say, the cost of his chroming that one piece is at least 4X the cost of the "almost" perfect jobbie I just installed. Not sure that I can justify the cost considering this one has imperfection NOONE will ever notice.

Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Couple of things come to mind:

First, it looks great !!!!!

Second, I'm not sure what's this all looks like taken apart but would there be a way to take the 2mm off of the mouting piece? Dremel a little on each side or something? A little all around? A little at the end that receives the screw?

Or do something similar to the big CF looking piece that it fits into?

I guess I'm just not sure what is making it not sit flush.......
Old 05-26-2007, 05:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
Ok enough talking, here are the pics! Remember it will vary in different lighting, but since this one is a little darker it is more consistent in the light.
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!! That looks nice! Guess what I'm going to suggest you do though? Yup! You guessed it! Paint the lower part of that rear a-spec black instead of that gray! Imagine the look you have right now with that rear spoiler black instead of gray!!!

Look...compare ours...the guy who did my grill told me I should do it, now I am passing the suggestion onto you:

It looks that way even more so up close! What do you think Buda? Huh Huh??

Good job on that piece!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

And here is where that trim will end up! Buda sold me his first set of chrome mods and they happily made there way to my TL. The finish is really sweet on the ASM.

The "TL" will eventually be replaced with the 07 version colored to match. I like the look of the italic one a little better than the 06.

Damn that looks good! I should be getting paid for this!!

Man all of these nice ass grilles are coming out perfect! Just in time for the summer!!!!

BTW, are your reverse lights blue? If so, is that legal in RI??
Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

LOL it's those PIAA reverse bulbs - the shine clean bright white when lit. I'm not crazy about them looking blue - maybe I'll find something else ??

I like the Aspec paint idea - I was thinking Anthracite for mine.
But for now it's going on as is.........piggy bank is a little dry.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Dark - you need one of those trims too - would compliment those tail lights!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:05 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Thoughts?

First thought is...suck in that gut soldier! ^

Finished:

...Not sure that I can justify the cost considering this one has imperfection NOONE will ever notice.
We know now, and your ass knows too, and ya gonna be tossing and turning in your sleep so go ahead and do the damn thing! You a baller! Get the Alex piece!

Car looks nice Chris, but can you post an identical over in the other grille thread? That's where we are putting DIYs from here! Good job man!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just finished the Type-S trim... The result is bittersweet.
As you know, from bretallica's post:

You can force the trim to fit, but the trimming you have to do is a guess science and it's not perfect. I trimed it about 1mm too short on both sides, but even taking my time it difficult to make a template and even more difficult to eyeball . Test fitting is awkward becaue I figured out that the ill fitment is because the mounts are about 2mm wider than the original as well, and that's where a predominance of the resistance (bowing in the center) is coming from.

I just used a cutting wheel to trim/grind the edge ever so carefully:

Then per bretallica's instructions, epoxied one the 2 removed mounting tabs to the center:

Then bolted it on (2 sided tape in the middle too):

You can almost make out the 1mm gap from my trimming. I'll discuss this in a minute.

This is one part I don't like... The edge is not fully recessed. You can barely see the edge where I ground off the nickel plate. That That edge is also very sharp, you have to be careful with your detail cloth.

So...
It kinda fits, but I'm a perfectionsist, and the minor issues you see above irk me. I'm considering sending my rear trim to Alex for chroming to replace this piece.

Problem is, this is an OEM piece that's copper, nickel, then tinted chrome plated... quality stuff, and it's gauranteed to match the front OEM stuff and TL-S tails.

I'm not sure how Alex is chroming, but needless to say, the cost of his chroming that one piece is at least 4X the cost of the "almost" perfect jobbie I just installed. Not sure that I can justify the cost considering this one has imperfection NOONE will ever notice.

Thoughts?
I think you did about as good of a job as I did on my first pass. It looks good (looks great in pictures, as does mine). I know what you mean about the perfectionist thing, though, as I am one. That's why I'm gonna go ahead and try to cut another one even better than the first one I did. I'm really going to be careful with the stencil idea, as I think that is "the answer". I ran into a similar problem with the screw mounts, but it fit in my license plate housing just fine without bowing...once I cut the center screw mounts out, that is. Oh and on the edge of the new chrome trim, I went ahead and used a filing attachment to make it not too sharp.

As far as the chrome match thing, I agree that it's not worth the extra cost of sending out your OEM trim to have it specially chromed when you can just have this for considerably less money. The reason I like this idea is because the chrome pieces are so far away, no one will ever notice, just as you said. The only person who will know will be you.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work on the grills everyone
I want to see more pics/videos of that DRL mod, sandiego
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Brett,
Not that I'm looking to do another trim piece, but I haven't seen our favorite vendor selling those anymore. Do you have another (did he hold one back for you)?

I'm calling Alex today to get a quote on the Grille part/emblems (and perhaps this rear piece now...)
Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Starcraft II addict

Imagine the look you have right now with that rear spoiler black instead of gray!!!

It looks that way even more so up close! What do you think Buda? Huh Huh??

Good job on that piece!
Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this. Would love to see it in person.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Brett,
Not that I'm looking to do another trim piece, but I haven't seen our favorite vendor selling those anymore. Do you have another (did he hold one back for you)?

I'm calling Alex today to get a quote on the Grille part/emblems (and perhaps this rear piece now...)

Chris - I just came in to take a break from my Aspec install -- I thnk I can get you another trim.

Hang in there - I will get a hold of him
Old 05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Nice work on the grills everyone
I want to see more pics/videos of that DRL mod, sandiego
Ok, will do.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
It'll be up as soon as I can get all the info.

Any update on this? *curious*
Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Racer

How much is the rear center piece; for the 07-tl-s, for the trunk lid? And will it fit on the 04-06?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by tehloxely
How much is the rear center piece; for the 07-tl-s, for the trunk lid? And will it fit on the 04-06?
It's not available "openly" from a dealer for some reason. We found a guy selling the trim on ebay for about $20... but I'm unsure if he sold them all, haven't seen any listed in a while.

It requires a minor bit trimming to fit the 04-06. See bretallica's and my postings.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Chris - I just came in to take a break from my Aspec install -- I thnk I can get you another trim.

Hang in there - I will get a hold of him
Yeah, uh Chris Uh, he's out doing his A-spec! Play along and nod your head in acknowledgement!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Racer

OK, but does anyone know if it fits?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by tehloxely
OK, but does anyone know if it fits?
What, specifically, are you referring to? If you're talking about the chrome trim piece off the 2007 TL-S rear license plate assembly and whether it fits with a 2004 - 2006, then your answer is "kinda." You have to make some modifications to the trim piece to get it to fit, but it's not that bad. It is not, however, a direct fit or plug-and-play.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by brettallica
What, specifically, are you referring to? If you're talking about the chrome trim piece off the 2007 TL-S rear license plate assembly and whether it fits with a 2004 - 2006, then your answer is "kinda." You have to make some modifications to the trim piece to get it to fit, but it's not that bad. It is not, however, a direct fit or plug-and-play.
Hey Brett, without reading all of that again, is the reason why you guys are using that trim piece instead of the stock one for coloring, because of the depth of color that you are able to achieve with it vs stock?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Hey Brett, without reading all of that again, is the reason why you guys are using that trim piece instead of the stock one for coloring, because of the depth of color that you are able to achieve with it vs stock?
Well, it's cheap and easy. It would probably cost a good amount of money (and time waiting) to get the factory OEM piece chromed. Other than that, there is no real reason for me.

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!