Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Darksom...
Nope, that's not the vision. Let me try again.

The upper trim that goes on the hood, and the outer edge (part 4) will be black chrome, just like Buda's.
The whole center bar (that supports the Acura logo cup) will be painted a flat gray, as close of a match to the surrounding plastic. What I don't like about Buda's grille is the lack of contrast between the front A emblem and the center bar.

This look will give a black chrome "framed" grille, with the center subdued, giving it depth, which is what i like about the "no center bar" version. Of course the center emblem will be black chromed to contract to match further.

Making it all pop will be that bright shiny aluminum mesh I used on the lower grills, recessed deep in the back.
I just ordered a grille from a junkyard to start experimenting with.

Yep, going on WDP.

2 questions for you guys.

- Are you guys planning to use the upper hood trim that's already black chromed from the TL-S? I'm worried about matching, but I'd rather buy a piece chromed than have to buy a new one to have chromed.

- Did you guys catch bretallica's post. He found a guy on ebay selling the rear TL-S license plate trim for $15. He must have realized the demand for these, as I just paid $25 for mine... still cheeaper than the cost of chroming, and it's "pre cut" for my reverse Camera. How cool is that?

http://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam...e&x=1108450677
Chris, how much of this are you doing yourself? Sounds good! I love different looks, and that sounds like a winner! Keep us posted!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
where is the link to the liscence plate thing from above, i looked through preivous posts and couldn;t find it

thanks

adam
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Chris, how much of this are you doing yourself? Sounds good! I love different looks, and that sounds like a winner! Keep us posted!

Chris - This sounds cool...........I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Bretallica just posted a link to an ebay auction in the "free to low cost mods" thread. Just email the ebay vendor I linked in the auction above. If he has 2, he probably has more.

I plan on doing all of the mod work myself (except the chroming of course). The center bare can be spray painted easily. The mesh is easy. The rest is just sending the parts to Alex and then of course... dissassembly and installation.

The waiting is the hardest part as Tom Petty would say.

Any response from folks about using the OEM TL-S black chrome hood trim? Does it fit? Does it match?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Brett tried it out Chris - it fits.

Buda did also and in one of his pics he showed the TLS trim against the trim pieces he had chromed - I think if I remember correctly it was a shade off from what he had chromed.

Oh and I think that eBay guy might have a few more - I emailed him last night and got myself hooked up with one before he had chance to list it.

Email him fast - I don't think he has many left.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Brett tried it out Chris - it fits.

Buda did also and in one of his pics he showed the TLS trim against the trim pieces he had chromed - I think if I remember correctly it was a shade off from what he had chromed.

Oh and I think that eBay guy might have a few more - I emailed him last night and got myself hooked up with one before he had chance to list it.

Email him fast - I don't think he has many left.
I got one on ebay... Kinda pissed at the price increase from $15 to $25 in 2 days. What was your cost?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Well damn...

While looking for the pictures comparing the black chrome differences of the OEM TL-S trim and Alex's process, i found this:

illililili did a similar version of what I'm talking about on page 7 of this very thread.

Now, imagine that look, with black chrome and silver mesh behind the grille... That's where I'm going.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well damn...

While looking for the pictures comparing the black chrome differences of the OEM TL-S trim and Alex's process, i found this:

illililili did a similar version of what I'm talking about on page 7 of this very thread.

Now, imagine that look, with black chrome and silver mesh behind the grille... That's where I'm going.
Kennedy, you're going to end up turning your base WDP into something that looks like a trick TL-S, at least from the visual I'm getting with your explanations and that picture of illililili's car. That should look sweet!

Have you seen the WDP TL-S in person? It looks really sweet with the chrome, and was a huge inspiration for my modifications. I got the idea about a month after I had my car, when I took it back to the dealer to have the bumpers repainted. There were a few TL-S in the lot and I was all over the look of the front end.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yep...
I have TL-S tails, some nice Volk TE-37s with Tein SS's, and the black chrome thing... it'll be a done project.

Once I get that Comptech Supercharger bolted on (it's in the garage), it'll be the TL-S killer.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Well damn...

Yeah, I saw that before, but I am not a fan of the "like stock" look as far as colors (grille). They also have to contrast well with the paint of your car. So I am anxious to see how the gray, black chrome and white paint all come together. I get visions of Accuratein so it may be pretty cool! Can't wait to see. There are very few "totally different" looks that can be achieved with this grille. So "tweaks" like yours are the way to go now! Just make sure that you are aware that the "look" of your grille is going to change with the different lighting (more often than not appearing lighter - like the stock trim), so it won't ever look just one shade with the black chrome from Alex.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Yep...
I have TL-S tails, some nice Volk TE-37s with Tein SS's, and the black chrome thing... it'll be a done project.

Once I get that Comptech Supercharger bolted on (it's in the garage), it'll be the TL-S killer.
Nice! I can already feel my aesthetic mod kick coming to an end and the need to make my car faster. I'll probably just have to cancel my AZ account before that time comes to avoid being persuaded into dropping money into that stuff.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by brettallica
Nice! I can already feel my aesthetic mod kick coming to an end and the need to make my car faster. I'll probably just have to cancel my AZ account before that time comes to avoid being persuaded into dropping money into that stuff.
Hahaha...that's called denial!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ i feel for you brettallica, i already want to bail on this forum... because all im getting from here are ideas to burn all of the little money i make... !!!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

By the way, Brett, my condolences for last night...and the next one in Utah!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

More in-depth DIY...

By the way, for anyone looking for a more in-depth look at how to do my grille mod, check out my man PPLAPW's DIY for more info here.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I got one on ebay... Kinda pissed at the price increase from $15 to $25 in 2 days. What was your cost?
I got one at $15.00 - supply & demand...........I think the seller figured out he had a hot product.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Well damn...

I like it!!!

Heck I might even do the same with my extra wing bar.......we'll have to see how it all comes together once the parts arrive!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I got one at $15.00 - supply & demand...........I think the seller figured out he had a hot product.
$15 shipped? Dammit. Stupid buy it now.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

$15 shipped? Dammit. Stupid buy it now.
He didn't have any open auctions when I looked - I emailed him and asked if he had more......... I got back "make me an offer"......I did $15.00..... figured he would have to bite since it was more than he was getting - plus shipping it came to $20.00

I'll see if I can get more from him but from the discription he posted it didn't convey to me that he had a bunch of these - sounded like it was a freakish find
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Well, I know that once the hair is raised on Chris' neck, he is doing the mod he wants, lol, but Steve I hope you actually find the time to follow thru on your mod! It would be nice to see how the colors contrast on the different cars.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Well, I know that once the hair is raised on Chris' neck, he is doing the mod he wants, lol, but Steve I hope you actually find the time to follow thru on your mod! It would be nice to see how the colors contrast on the different cars.

Oh I will Dark........ I've been thinking of several differet ideas one of which was the smoked chrome. Buda made that happen for me.........I'm stoked!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posts. It's been really busy and it's not over. Luckily I got the a-spec suspension on and will have enough time to finish the Dom's unit install. However my grill mod work will have to be extended. That'll give me time to brainstorm on some new ideas. Once I get the license plate trim from Alex, SteveP66 will be getting all the black chromed parts from me.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Talking

Buda.....

.........too excited........

This is what it took to get me to take off the front bumper......LOL

Oh and you know I'll have big pics up in this grill thread (doing a little whoring - and on topic ) once it's all installed and blinging in the sunlight !!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Here's a little real life math for you:

Chrome grill + TL = hot
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Chrome grill + TL = hot
And here is a little for you:

My TL

+ My Grille

=

H-O-T!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
^-- OMG that is sweet. You need to email me a high res pic of that without the timestamp.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Chrome grill + TL = hot

LOL - I know - I can't wait to pull this one together. Buda

Brett - I was talking to Buda last night (PM's) and he told me something about that TLS trim piece we are all looking at. I guess it has 4 mounting points and the 06 one has 3......I'm sure it will still work tho....

I can't wait to see how Kennedy's grill turns out....
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Brett - I was talking to Buda last night (PM's) and he told me something about that TLS trim piece we are all looking at. I guess it has 4 mounting points and the 06 one has 3......I'm sure it will still work tho....
Ugh, no way. How are the mouting points different?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Ugh, no way. How are the mouting points different?

He said there were 3 holes in the mounting for the 06 and 4 on the 07 .......I've never taken my 06 trim off but Buda has so I'm going by what he says so far.....

Maybe it won't be a big deal .......?

I think there is a diagram of that rear trim someplace - trying to find it
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I found it

And here is the back of the TLS trim - 4 points.......

Maybe if we get lucky the two end points and clips match up........I think it's different because of the reverse camera on the TLS.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Godfather of Chrome

And here is a little for you:

My TL

+ My Grille

=

H-O-T!!!!!!!!
Ha! Indeed.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I found it

And here is the back of the TLS trim - 4 points.......

Maybe if we get lucky the two end points and clips match up........I think it's different because of the reverse camera on the TLS.
This is nothing short of potentially craptastic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see once the part arrives whether it's compatible. I can't see them being THAT off that they don't work. If so, I'll be one bummed out dude.

I'll make it work.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

This is nothing short of potentially craptastic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see once the part arrives whether it's compatible. I can't see them being THAT off that they don't work. If so, I'll be one bummed out dude.

I'll make it work.
Damn! You will drill? Get outta here! Just to use the 07? You scaring me!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Damn! You will drill? Get outta here! Just to use the 07? You scaring me!
I'll do what needs to be done...within reason of course. I'll just pull that assembly off the trunk lid and see what happens. I'm not too worried about it. If it's a minor thing, sweet. If I can't get it to work, no big deal, as it was only $15.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Should be ok - the end points and clips look like the match up. Worse comes to worse use some double sided 3M tape in the middle or drill an extra hole - or move the mounting point ? It's going to be underneath so you won't see it anyway.....?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Should be ok - the end points and clips look like the match up. Worse comes to worse use some double sided 3M tape in the middle or drill an extra hole - or move the mounting point ? It's going to be underneath so you won't see it anyway.....?
You know what guys, it doesn't even matter! Chris is gonna do it first anyway! LOL! Once he sets his sights on a mod, then he does it as soon as possible! Well, except he is being a slacker on the Supercharger!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

You know that...
I'm not worried as long as the 2 end points line up. I'll have mine in this weekend if it shows up before Friday

Hey Steve, why don't you let me snap up Buda's parts? If you're just gonna sit on em for a while... (I'm... 1/2 kidding)

I only want the front and rear emblem and the lower front grill trim... Hook me up.

Darksom, I just can't get passed that needing "adult supervision" feeling to installing the S/C... Silly little body mods, minor electrical work, etc... no worries.

My TL is a daily driver, and "vehicle crippling" mods freak me out. I'll tell you a funy story over a beer about the timing belt change that went wrong the DAY before my first kid was due... Leaving me stranded 150 miles from home with a wife ready to POP.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

LOL - If I didn't want them so badly I would.........that chrome is going on my TL one way or another.

I already have the pages from the helm's manual copied so that I can take the bumper off.
Also went out and bought a set of Rhino ramps to help in the process...... ;-)

I can't wait to get moving on this........ I have a whole week off and I have so many things lined up to do.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

My TL is a daily driver, and "vehicle crippling" mods freak me out. I'll tell you a funy story over a beer about the timing belt change that went wrong the DAY before my first kid was due... Leaving me stranded 150 miles from home with a wife ready to POP.
Hahahaha... sounds like somebody got the frying pan over their head when they got home!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Godfather of Chrome

You know what guys, it doesn't even matter! Chris is gonna do it first anyway! LOL! Once he sets his sights on a mod, then he does it as soon as possible! Well, except he is being a slacker on the Supercharger!
If I get mine first (which I think I will since I believe I was the first to order it), then I will have it on first. I want to complete my chrome look, and this is the final piece to my puzzle! There isn't a sole on this board who wants this more than I do. Trust me on this one.

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!