Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
^-- it depends on the lighting. I'll try to get a pic of some of the remaining parts beside the tails for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Starcraft II addict

Here are the pics with the tails

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good match - I love it...........can you give us an idea what he charged? Roughly if you can .....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Starcraft II addict

I have been informed that I'm not supposed to give the prices out. Sorry
Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thread save, Buda. That chrome looks fantastic. One could say that I know a thing or two about chrome!

What about painting that little strip of bumper NBP? That might look pretty hot.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Starcraft II addict

Actually I'm probably going to have that done. I may just have all the plastic covers under the hood done as well while I'm at it.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by Buda
I have been informed that I'm not supposed to give the prices out. Sorry
No sweat - it looks really really good......
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^-- and here comes Buda with the save to get back on topic

Here are some pics. To give you an idea of how this looks in different lighting conditions the first pic is in low light and the rest are in daylight. The "V" trim is still othe EOM trim. I have not had time to install the black chromed piece yet.

Low light pic: I wish it looked like this in the day light

Full sunlight pics:

Man, that low light pic looks good! I mean hella good! But the rest look damn near stock! That would just friggin' piss me off and make me shitcan 'em like I did my 03 fogs one day! LOL! Does that look that way to you Buda, or does it just look that way on the pic? Are you happy with that? You know you can always try the other person that Ethan has if you're not. I personally am just hooked on the "dark" look, but maybe you don't mind? I think maybe you want that too because you wished they all looked like the low light pic. Those original shots misled us all I think. We had a dark vision, like quartz...well, I know I did.

The work looks really good on all the pieces. But the color is a little disappointing. If it's too close to stock, then it isn't "different" enough. Know what I mean? And if memory serves me correctly, you said "he" lol, couldn't make them any darker right? Damn! I hate to sound like a downer, but this is so unlike Brettallica's vision (he wanted lighter, and got lighter - which was cool). But this was supposed to be dark! I am curious as to how long you stick with that, before attempting something darker, or even like Crook's theme! Which, does kind of remind me of the metallic look of your grille. Or, I guess you can just play dark by night, light by day look?

If people are wondering why I am ranting so much about this mod, it's because it WOULD have been MY mod as well, if the guy hadn't taken so long and I got distracted by what I eventually did (grille). It takes nothing away from my man Buda because he hung in there. I am just not sure that is how we both saw it coming to fruition.

Good luck on whichever way you go Buda, and post pics awwwaaaayyy from the car at night! LOL! (I know you are like night - day - make up your mind!)
Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Looks amazing Buda!

DAAYM I can't believe this thread grew to 22 pgs. No doubt with all the tangents. It's the mother of all grille threads for sure!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Actually I'm probably going to have that done. I may just have all the plastic covers under the hood done as well while I'm at it.
Yeah, and I think the shiny paint in that bumper area would really make the whole grill area pop.

I think it looks great as it is, but I could see you wanting it darker, like darksom1 was saying. Of course, you now realize that you HAVE to clear your headlights, right? That will complete the look quite well. Then it's on to rims...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by brettallica
Yeah, and I think the shiny paint in that bumper area would really make the whole grill area pop.

:
Might as well paint the A cup NBP as well.......... whadda ya think? Just not sure it would be so noticable but it's a small area so it shouldn't be too expensive
Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Starcraft II addict

^-- I agree
Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Might as well paint the A cup NBP as well.......... whadda ya think? Just not sure it would be so noticable but it's a small area so it shouldn't be too expensive
No, just a glossy black. Mine is.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I really like that trim - especially since it is light and a subtle yet a noticable change from the stock. Humm, that would look sweet on ASM.....lol.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I really like that trim - especially since it is light and a subtle yet a noticable change from the stock. Humm, that would look sweet on ASM.....lol.
That would look sweet! When are you gonna start doing it and stop talking about it?!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

You just brought up a good point...kinda. Because of the darkness of the NBP, it makes that stuff look even lighter. On lighter cars, it might even look a little darker than what it is, especially the low light pic. But on a darker car, it needs more depth of color to blend in or it will stand out, like the stock trim does. Of course Buda's doesn't look the same color as the satin stock, but up against NBP, it looks far from black as well. I thought it would be darker so that it blended in more.

If the color it is, is the color Buda wanted, then it looks nice. In the rear, those pieces that match the tails, are pretty much what the stock looks like in the daytime. They look chromed, different tint, but light chromed. Riding up behind Buda, I don't know I would notice a difference unless I was staring. And that's the thing, to make our cars look different.

Unless I am totally in error, I thought Buda and I both wanted the "blacked out look, or dark look".
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by brettallica
That would look sweet! When are you gonna start doing it and stop talking about it?!
This year I hope LOL - - my ideas run way ahead of my time.......first I have to get that Aspec kit installed!

LOL

and then there is that nasty B word......budget
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

This year I hope LOL - - my ideas run way ahead of my time.......first I have to get that Aspec kit installed!

LOL

and then there is that nasty B word......budget
I do agree that the color of those pieces will look good on your grille. In much the same way as you describe it. If Buda decides to go with something darker, why not negotiate their release?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by darksom1
I do agree that the color of those pieces will look good on your grille. In much the same way as you describe it. If Buda decides to go with something darker, why not negotiate their release?
LOL - I thought about it but he went through all the work and I thought it would be rude to ask. But if he's reading - keep it in mind - I will take them off your hands .... for a profit too.

Between work and looking after my Mom my mod time is limited.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Starcraft II addict

LOL - I thought about it but he went through all the work and I thought it would be rude to ask. But if he's reading - keep it in mind - I will take them off your hands .... for a profit too.

Between work and looking after my Mom my mod time is limited.
I'm willing to consider this. I was actually thinking that this would look great on an ASM or SSM. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. Also I'm waiting on the license plate trim from Alex still.

Darksom1 is right, I'm wanting more of a blacked out/stealth look. I'm still going to be experimenting with Alex on some parts. Wonder how the static plating is going with trancemission.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Wonder how the static plating is going with trancemission.

its going.......having some issues with it chipping. he's working through it.

how was working with Alex?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Starcraft II addict

Working with Alex is fine. Basics are to have patience. Here are the things that I have learned:
* The "satin" finish pieces will take longer as they have to be chrome plated first.
* Once the coloring is complete it takes 4 to 5 days to cure. Then for larger pieces it is buffed. After this the product is ready to be shipped.
* Alex will not chrome/color if the weather conditions are bad. Not sure what conditions are considered bad for chroming/coloring.

Once you send the items in, figure on 3 weeks at the most for getting the items back. Since I sent in so many at once (9 peices) it took the full 3 weeks.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:11 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Working with Alex is fine. Basics are to have patience. Here are the things that I have learned:
* The "satin" finish pieces will take longer as they have to be chrome plated first.
* Once the coloring is complete it takes 4 to 5 days to cure. Then for larger pieces it is buffed. After this the product is ready to be shipped.
* Alex will not chrome/color if the weather conditions are bad. Not sure what conditions are considered bad for chroming/coloring.

Once you send the items in, figure on 3 weeks at the most for getting the items back. Since I sent in so many at once (9 peices) it took the full 3 weeks.
Hey Buda, are you going to go the Crook route, or like Midnight_TL?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I'm willing to consider this. I was actually thinking that this would look great on an ASM or SSM. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. Also I'm waiting on the license plate trim from Alex still.

Darksom1 is right, I'm wanting more of a blacked out/stealth look. I'm still going to be experimenting with Alex on some parts. Wonder how the static plating is going with trancemission.

PM sent - I think I just wet my pants when I read this !!! OOMG.......

Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- lol, nice one I PMed you back with my cell number.

Hey Buda, are you going to go the Crook route, or like Midnight_TL?
I'm falling back to brainstorming mode with the grill options. I'm still going to experiment more with what Alex can do. He did say that he can go much darker. When going darker it gets more brownish then turns black. I'm probably going to get a couple of the rear A emblems and have him work up a brown and black version to see what they look like. I don't want to fully give up on the black chrome idea that falls within the vision we had. I still think it has potential if we can find the correct mix.

Otherwise, a full NBP coating or going with your type of grill is still a possibility to. We need a great grill mod representing the Midwest.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

^-- lol, nice one I PMed you back with my cell number.
Got it and hit ya back with a pm......signing off shortly gotta get up early - I'll be dreaming of chrome all night now.

Ok, time to dry up and hit the sack.........LOL.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Got it and hit ya back with a pm......signing off shortly gotta get up early - I'll be dreaming of chrome all night now.

Ok, time to dry up and hit the sack.........LOL.
Sheesh! Lucky you, the rest of us have to take a aftrer that one! LOL!

Glad ya'll worked it out!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Just thought I'd share..... my TL got some love today...... PC with some poorboy's 2.0, UPP wax along with a clay!....

Forgive the camera phone pics!
Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Just thought I'd share..... my TL got some love today...... PC with some poorboy's 2.0, UPP wax along with a clay!....

Forgive the camera phone pics!
Camera phone pics? Good Lord! If that's what that car looks like with a cell phone pic, then a real camera would be unthinkable! That is freakin' beautiful man!! Wow! That hood looks like a lake shot!

That pic is unbelievable! I have never had my car detailed before, but after looking at that gleam...I can't wait! Lookin' good as always PPLAPW, or should I say "sensei"!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Hahaha...I was just thinking, I remember when I was PM'ing PPLAPW like crazy and begging him to do my grille for me! I even said I would buy the bumper cover and have it shipped to him, pay for him to do it, then pay for him to ship it to me! That's how bad I wanted my grille people!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:45 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
OK...
Darksom, I think I have a unique grill plan.
I like the all mesh look Darksom has done, but just can't bring myself to pay $500+ in body work to have the custom grill made, and I'm too lazy/busy to figure it out for myself.

So my though is this, if you can't get rid of the center bar, cost effectively... subdue it.

I ordered a grill backing (part #1) last week. I plan to trim the large mesh and jb weld in the same mesh I used on my lower grilles.

I will then take the center bar (part 6) and PAINT is a subtle primer gray to match the inner grill (the part Acuratein covered with carbon fiber), making it kinda disappear.

I will then black chrome the outer rim and center emblem. I think it's gonna be the shizzle.

I'm really enthusiastic about this idea becasue the mt new rims (Volk TE37s) are a titanium gumetal that matches the lower A-spec lips, lower grills, and grill center. This would further enhance that look.

Anyone out there with photoshop skills?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Godfather of Chrome

^ That'll be interesting. You're running a WDP right? I can't wait to see how that turns out.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Oh I can't wait to see this one.........Dark & Brett - I talked to Buda today - things are looking up for my grill mod !!!

The grill pieces he has are going to look HOT HOT HOT on the ASM.

Thanks for the suggestion there Dark
Old 05-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Oh I can't wait to see this one.........Dark & Brett - I talked to Buda today - things are looking up for my grill mod !!!

Sweet! I can't wait to see that when you get it done. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though, considering your schedule/motivation to get this thing done.

So you're all set then on the hood trim molding? Mine should be done soon, so I'll be offing my TL-S trim soon.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I can't wait either - but Buda is a tad busy moving and all so I gotta give him the time he needs to get settled. I should have it done in maybe a month I guess........

My Mom hasn't been well so my time revolves around her lately......she comes first the TL 2nd :-)
Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Kennedy
OK...
Darksom, I think I have a unique grill plan.
I like the all mesh look Darksom has done, but just can't bring myself to pay $500+ in body work to have the custom grill made, and I'm too lazy/busy to figure it out for myself.

So my though is this, if you can't get rid of the center bar, cost effectively... subdue it.

I ordered a grill backing (part #1) last week. I plan to trim the large mesh and jb weld in the same mesh I used on my lower grilles.

I will then take the center bar (part 6) and PAINT is a subtle primer gray to match the inner grill (the part Acuratein covered with carbon fiber), making it kinda disappear.

I will then black chrome the outer rim and center emblem. I think it's gonna be the shizzle.

I'm really enthusiastic about this idea becasue the mt new rims (Volk TE37s) are a titanium gumetal that matches the lower A-spec lips, lower grills, and grill center. This would further enhance that look.

Anyone out there with photoshop skills?
So, after a busy day, I come online and what do I see? I see a new grille mod in the making is what I see! So let me try to see this vision.

See that gray trim on PPLAPW's grille:

You want your grille trim AND your center bar to be that color right because it matches the lower part of the A-spec lip?

You also want to paint the emblem or "A" black chrome like this:

Now that I have more of a vision, and I hope that I helped you guys get the vision as well...what about the part where the black chrome changes in different lighting? As Buda himself has experienced, this goes from light to dark depending on the time of day, and is really only dark at night.

I would definitely like to see what they look like in a photochop! So someone please hurry!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:21 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

You know it! Now get to work!

Sorry to hear that about your mom, I hope that works out ok.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I can't wait either - but Buda is a tad busy moving and all so I gotta give him the time he needs to get settled. I should have it done in maybe a month I guess........

My Mom hasn't been well so my time revolves around her lately......she comes first the TL 2nd :-)
Very sorry to hear that! I hope she feels much better soon
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

You know it! Now get to work!
Sorry to hear that about your mom, I hope that works out ok.
Originally Posted by jd-tls
Very sorry to hear that! I hope she feels much better soon
Thanks - it's something we've been dealing with for a couple years - it will be ok.

Back to our regularly schedule grill program........

You know I'll keep you posted and be out there snapping pics as soon as we seal our deal !!!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
So, after a busy day, I come online and what do I see? I see a new grille mod in the making is what I see! So let me try to see this vision.

See that gray trim on PPLAPW's grille:

You want your grille trim AND your center bar to be that color right because it matches the lower part of the A-spec lip?

You also want to paint the emblem or "A" black chrome like this:

Now that I have more of a vision, and I hope that I helped you guys get the vision as well...what about the part where the black chrome changes in different lighting? As Buda himself has experienced, this goes from light to dark depending on the time of day, and is really only dark at night.

I would definitely like to see what they look like in a photochop! So someone please hurry!

Darksom...
Nope, that's not the vision. Let me try again.

The upper trim that goes on the hood, and the outer edge (part 4) will be black chrome, just like Buda's.
The whole center bar (that supports the Acura logo cup) will be painted a flat gray, as close of a match to the surrounding plastic. What I don't like about Buda's grille is the lack of contrast between the front A emblem and the center bar.

This look will give a black chrome "framed" grille, with the center subdued, giving it depth, which is what i like about the "no center bar" version. Of course the center emblem will be black chromed to contract to match further.

Making it all pop will be that bright shiny aluminum mesh I used on the lower grills, recessed deep in the back.
I just ordered a grille from a junkyard to start experimenting with.

Yep, going on WDP.

2 questions for you guys.

- Are you guys planning to use the upper hood trim that's already black chromed from the TL-S? I'm worried about matching, but I'd rather buy a piece chromed than have to buy a new one to have chromed.

- Did you guys catch bretallica's post. He found a guy on ebay selling the rear TL-S license plate trim for $15. He must have realized the demand for these, as I just paid $25 for mine... still cheeaper than the cost of chroming, and it's "pre cut" for my reverse Camera. How cool is that?

http://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam...e&x=1108450677

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!