Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:21 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Whoop !!!

Ohhhh no. That is not a gift to yourself. That is a gift to all of us on Acurazine ! Looking forward to many vids of the install. Then, many more vids of those kills. Whoop ! Speaking for all of Acurazine, “Thanks for the gift libert69.”

Moving on to the topic of make vids of kills.

I do not know how a mount would work. The mount will work for recording SCCA events, make a pass down the quarter mile track, etc. But, I feel that a mount would be a “fail” for recording a kill.

To record a kill, the camera must pan (move) though the entire video. The camera would be pointed toward the front of your car to document the opponent before or after the event. When the race is underway, the camera will need to pan (change direction) to keep the opponent in the view-of-view of the camera as he is being left behind….. eventually appearing in your rear window.

All of this is occurring at an unpredictable rate. Thus, the camera needs to be aimed by you as the situation unfolds. Hence, I do not see how a mount would work to record a kill.

I recommend the following.

For making my TL Diet Videos, I practiced daily with driving wot with one hand. I had to learn how to control the torque-steer with just my left hand on the steering wheel. It took me about a month to gain the skill of controlling wot torque-steer with just my one hand. You can start practicing this now. Then when the turbo gets installed, you will need to tweak your one-handed skill to handle the new power. But, the basic skills will be in-place.

BTW, I also practiced changing lanes and heavy braking with using just my left hand too. During a race, one will need to perform these operations too with just one hand.

I even practiced making videos while pulling away from red-lights at a normal pace. Again, just for practicing. During a race, you get one chance only to get the recording. Remember, you are operating the camera via point-shooting…. Without looking thru the viewfinder. You need practice to learn how to aim the camera by feel (point-shooting). Again, this is something you can began practicing now.

If you have a choice, it is best to get your opponent to be on your right side. If you watch my TL Diet Videos, you will see how easy it is to capture your opponent when he is on the right side.

If the opponent is on your left side, it is impossible to recorded him. I experimented with different aiming techniques. Nothing worked for me. The only option that I found was to record my opponent thru my side mirror when he is positioned on my left side. I can recorded him directly as he is next to my driver-side door. But, as he falls behind me and becomes outside the view of my window, I must aim the camera at my side mirror to see him thru the mirror as he drops behind. If you try to pan (aim) the camera too far backward with the opponent on your left, the camera will record nothing but your B-Pillar post.

Let’s change topics to video editing software. Again, this is something you can began to learn now. You will need to acquire some video editing software. I use Sony Vegas Pro. You will need to learn how to edit your videos to mask (block out) street signs as was mentioned by “Hi speed”. Plus, you need the basics on cropping the field-of-view, splicing, etc.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have questions. I am more than happy to help.

BTW, if you didn't get a chance to see my vids, they are here (see link below)

The TL Diet Videos (click here)
Good info...thanks. I can see how a mount would not be optimal for recording a kill. Maybe ill just go buy a second camcorder and mount one facing the passenger side window, one facing the rear and crop the vids together.

I was looking at a motorized mount with a remote. How do you think that would work out? Maybe mount the camcorder on the dash or windshield (if it would hold) turn the lcd screen so its facing me when driving, since im an auto, I wont need to shift so I have a free hand for the remote

http://cgi.ebay.com/MP-101-Motorized...item5ad59358e6
Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I like the idea of multiple cameras. Having a minimum of four cameras (facing front, rear, left, and right) would cover most angles…. adequate enough to document the action. Most importantly, using multiple cameras would allow you to have both hands on the steering wheel. BTW, these can be cheaper cameras because quality is not important for any video that will be posted on YouTube.

I don’t really see too much advantage to the motorized mount. It would still require you to drive with just one hand.

I see a few obstacles that would need to be overcome with the multiple cameras. You would need a method to simultaneously activate (on/off) all cameras remotely. I know that most cameras come with a remote control unit, but how could one remote activate all cameras? How could a remote activate any camera facing in a direction that prohibits it’s remote from reaching the camcorder’s sensor ?

As a side note. It is a “must” that you erase the previous videos from the camcorder. After you film a race and get back home, copy the video to you home computer. Then, delete the original off of the camcorder. You DON’T want the police to confiscate that camcorder and find a collection of racing videos on the camcorder’s hard drive. All videos found on the camcorder will be used as evidence against you. If you get caught and the police take the camcorder, all they will have is that one single encounter.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 12-27-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:21 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
As a side note. It is a “must” that you erase the previous videos from the camcorder. After you film a race and get back home, copy the video to you home computer. Then, delete the original off of the camcorder. You DON’T want the police to confiscate that camcorder and find a collection of racing videos on the camcorder’s hard drive. All videos found on the camcorder will be used as evidence against you. If you get caught and the police take the camcorder, all they will have is that one single encounter.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The differance between fun and felony is evidence. With most departments laying off personel, all officers are being asked to go the extra mile durring stops. Gettiing charged with 15 counts of Reckless Driving would not be fun.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
If you guys are going to do more than one camera you might as well set up small digi cams (cmos / ccd) into a multiplexer unit & hook it up to a hd or carpc. That way you get multiple angles, if you did a carpc you could also tap it into the nav screen & have all displayed or pick & choose while it's being recorded. The only difficult part is figuring out the camera mounts.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187

Do you know where i can find these specific gauges in boost and A/F.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
^okay nevermind I found them. Now my question is do they make a boost gauge in lbs and not a bar readout??
Old 12-27-2009, 05:03 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
so true. reminds me of the time those punk teenagers awhile back got busted for having a video tape in the car, terrorizing people on the streets with a paint ball gun? they got pulled over for a traffic violation of some sort and the cops found the video of their mayhem.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Ok so everyone in that turbo picture thread ignored me but I noticed that his car (pass427) doesn't have a filter or anything on it.

Is there enough clearance under that inlet piping to fit the filter on the turbo?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^Yes there is room... most people in the picture thread dont even know about this one
Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
^Yes there is room... most people in the picture thread dont even know about this one
soo true
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
Ok so everyone in that turbo picture thread ignored me but I noticed that his car (pass427) doesn't have a filter or anything on it.

Is there enough clearance under that inlet piping to fit the filter on the turbo?
i put up pics of the filter attached to the turbo in the picture thread.

for everyone else, is a filter necessary? rodney says he does not use a filter and refuses to put one on
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL

here you go

Originally Posted by libert69
i put up pics of the filter attached to the turbo in the picture thread.

for everyone else, is a filter necessary? rodney says he does not use a filter and refuses to put one on
he does not like filters
Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Got your mom in

Rodney and i were discussing some things last night and we came up with an idea for anyone else interested in the kit......

Besides the members that already purchased, is there anyone else who plans on or will consider buying the kit in the near future?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 PM

definitely.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
for everyone else, is a filter necessary?
I was raised to always believe that any unfiltered air ingested by any engine is "sure death". I did not have the fortune of having the Internet for most of my life (pre-internet era). So, I only know what I was told and read in car magazines.

I have not Googled/researched this topic. So, I can only share how I *feel* about this topic.

I feel so strong about this topic that I would not dare to even fire-up my engine for a single second without an air filter. Never have my entire life. The only time that I might even consider it is if the engine was ran down the quarter-mile track a few times and was then to be rebuilt after every few passes down the track. On second thought, I would not even run unfiltered then either.... I would be afraid that the cylinders might become too scorn to be honed out during the rebuild. I would *never* run with no air filter.... and this is from Inaccurate, the renegade thinker.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I was raised to always believe that any unfiltered air ingested by any engine is "sure death". I did not have the fortune of having the Internet for most of my life (pre-internet era). So, I only know what I was told and read in car magazines.

I have not Googled/researched this topic. So, I can only share how I *feel* about this topic.

I feel so strong about this topic that I would not dare to even fire-up my engine for a single second without an air filter. Never have my entire life. The only time that I might even consider it is if the engine was ran down the quarter-mile track a few times and was then to be rebuilt after every few passes down the track. On second thought, I would not even run unfiltered then either.... I would be afraid that the cylinders might become too scorn to be honed out during the rebuild. I would *never* run with no air filter.... and this is from Inaccurate, the renegade thinker.
I wouldn't want to either unless I had one. I wonder why Rodney doesn't like them? To me, it's the same thing as running an open throttle body in the engine bay if he's not using a filter on his turbo. And anyone saying that running no filter on a turbo is different than no filter Naturally Aspirated...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rodney and i were discussing some things last night and we came up with an idea for anyone else interested in the kit......

Besides the members that already purchased, is there anyone else who plans on or will consider buying the kit in the near future?
definately!!!!! hopefully this fall?:wi sh:
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% I ran open filter on dyno's before for big #'s, but never while the car is moving. Rocks, dirt misc debris. You can kiss whatever is first in line after the intake, regardless of the setup goodbye.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've only got a few seconds so I'll elaborate later.

With an open turbo, no filter, you have to use an inlet bell or flow will be worse than with the filter.

Most cone filters pose no restriction but do smooth the airflow.

No filter is fine in some areas where life expectancy is less than 10,000 miles but the air filter is the most important filter on the car. I would never take it on the street with no filter.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
ohh man. i can imagine a nice intake pipe on that turbo

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
runnin a little boost

I just got the estimate from the shop doing the turbo install and wow.
1. Timing belt installed with tensioner $480
2. Remove blower and install turbo $1200/15 hrs
3. Install new clutch $650/8 hrs
4. Install tein ss $320/4 hrs
5. Alignment $60
6. Install exhaust cut out and wire switch $125
7. Install EDFC $320/4 hrs
8. Install new pass window regulator $80
9. Install oil cooler and relocate filter $240
10. Honda coolant and some GM MT Tranny fluid $46

So about $3500. I fully intend to bring this bad boy down, but wow there goes the $$$ from the selling the blower.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM

That's not bad.. what about DIY?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I just got the estimate from the shop doing the turbo install and wow.
1. Timing belt installed with tensioner $480
2. Remove blower and install turbo $1200/15 hrs
3. Install new clutch $650/8 hrs
4. Install tein ss $320/4 hrs
5. Alignment $60
6. Install exhaust cut out and wire switch $125
7. Install EDFC $320/4 hrs
8. Install new pass window regulator $80
9. Install oil cooler and relocate filter $240
10. Honda coolant and some GM MT Tranny fluid $46

So about $3500. I fully intend to bring this bad boy down, but wow there goes the $$$ from the selling the blower.
That's a lot of money for labor. I know you're pretty far away but I would uninstall the blower and install the turbo and suspension and cooler cheap, maybe $500 or less just to see another turbo TL on the street. I don't do this for a living or really for anyone but myself but I'm very good at it and want to see how it performs.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
LOL i was about to say that....Drive upto IHC or sponsor his flight tickets....give him a grand for his help and expertise and damn u done in half the amount....

also take loads of pic make a DIY and wallah enjoy!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a lot of money for labor. I know you're pretty far away but I would uninstall the blower and install the turbo and suspension and cooler cheap, maybe $500 or less just to see another turbo TL on the street. I don't do this for a living or really for anyone but myself but I'm very good at it and want to see how it performs.
Hey, I can be ur smart ass TOKEN assistant... I'll even fly coach... I don't mind.....

WAIT WAIT.... IHC, hes only in San Jose. just a few hours away.... why dont we meet at my place... ITS RIGHT in between both of yall... PLUS I GOT THE ROOM for it. FRESNO FTMFW!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
Hey, I can be ur smart ass TOKEN assistant... I'll even fly coach... I don't mind.....

WAIT WAIT.... IHC, hes only in San Jose. just a few hours away.... why dont we meet at my place... ITS RIGHT in between both of yall... PLUS I GOT THE ROOM for it. FRESNO FTMFW!
That sounds like a plan. 1:45 each way, not too bad. Only thing is I would plan on two days, one night since this is not something you can rush. We can write the first DIY on the turbo kit install. The truth is I would do it for free but I have to find a way to justify it to the girlfriend. Any cash that exchanged hands would be going directly to her lol bribe.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
diamonds (small or big....even cubic zirconia's, until she doesn't know a jeweler too well) speak more than cash !!!! my LOL !!!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

That sounds like a plan. 1:45 each way, not too bad. Only thing is I would plan on two days, one night since this is not something you can rush. We can write the first DIY on the turbo kit install. The truth is I would do it for free but I have to find a way to justify it to the girlfriend. Any cash that exchanged hands would be going directly to her lol bribe.
you can sleep in my bed....... WAIT WHAT! no no no.

But yeah,
I got the equipment to do the write up ... & FYI you guys could sleep in the office.(Its on my lot, but a separate building:gheyfight:ghey: thats between you & HI SPEED)...my bed is guarded by WONDER-WOMAN aka my wife
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Got your mom in

go to Jared

while you're working on his car for the two days she wont even know you're gone because she be calling everyone she knows to tell them

then when you get back she'll probably be wearing this
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
runnin a little boost

That sounds like a plan. 1:45 each way, not too bad. Only thing is I would plan on two days, one night since this is not something you can rush. We can write the first DIY on the turbo kit
install. The truth is I would do it for free but I have to find a way to justify it to the girlfriend. Any cash that exchanged hands would be going directly to her lol bribe.

This might not be a bad idea. Meet the infamous IHC and get some help from members with the skills to pull it off.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
you can sleep in my bed....... WAIT WHAT! no no no.

But yeah,
I got the equipment to do the write up ... & FYI you guys could sleep in the office.(Its on my lot, but a separate building:gheyfight:ghey: thats between you & HI SPEED)...my bed is guarded by WONDER-WOMAN aka my wife
This thread has gotten really
:theghey::gheywave::gheylaugh:gheyfight:gheyh ug::ghey:

So I probably shouldn't take a drink offered by Roger lol. Or muscle relaxers and vicotin. You cut the ponytail and lost your magical sexual powers. No sneaking in the office at night. :gheyfight
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

go to Jared

while you're working on his car for the two days she wont even know you're gone because she be calling everyone she knows to tell them

then when you get back she'll probably be wearing this
That's the truth. She's already got the tax lady trying to convince me to marry her for tax purposes, have a baby for tax purposes, and I hear an excuse to get married every day. The pressure is on lol. But true, if I gave her a ring, I could install the turbo and take it to Vegas for a weeks worth of "tuning" with no complaints.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

This thread has gotten really
:theghey::gheywave::gheylaugh:gheyfight:gheyh ug::ghey:

So I probably shouldn't take a drink offered by Roger lol. Or muscle relaxers and vicotin. You cut the ponytail and lost your magical sexual powers. No sneaking in the office at night. :gheyfight
UHHHH YAY FOR "ROOFIES" JK

WOOHOO!!!
FIRST! westcoast turbo TL setup FTMFW!!!

so, I'm in.... you guys just let me know what day is good for both of you.
IHC & HI-SPEED : Mi Casa Es Su Casa

Maybe I can install my KONI's that weekend also. HMMM
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

This might not be a bad idea. Meet the infamous IHC and get some help from members with the skills to pull it off.
I'm always up for helpin out & meeting fellow AZINERS.
Isn't that what this forum is all about??
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Got your mom in

That's the truth. She's already got the tax lady trying to convince me to marry her for tax purposes, have a baby for tax purposes, and I hear an excuse to get married every day. The pressure is on lol. But true, if I gave her a ring, I could install the turbo and take it to Vegas for a weeks worth of "tuning" with no complaints.
lol. its like everything is business.... im pretty sure she's a great girl if you're still with her though...

dew it....
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Got your mom in

we'll be phoning in also to make sure it goes smoothly or to answer any questions you may have in reference to the installation
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM
18psi

wow im jealous. i live on the east coast

any new yorkers wanna get together and help me with my install? i got food and beer. will pay cash too
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
runnin a little boost

Has anyone got any updates from Rodney on a ETA?
All I need is the motor mounts and EDFC kit and I am ready.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM

I proposed to my gf on Christmas day. I definitely didn't get a get out of jail free card but *ahem* she was very happy. You have a keeper Matt.. if she ever lets you escape to LV in the near future let us know. I'll be out there in Feb for Nascar Weekend.

Last edited by Majofo; 01-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I proposed to my gf on Christmas day. I definitely didn't get a get out of jail free card but *ahem* she was very happy. You have a keeper Matt.. if she ever lets you escape to LV in the near future let us know. I'll be out there in Feb for Nascar Weekend.
Congratulations! I know I need to give this poor girl a break and do it already. She's a good one and I'm not getting any younger.

Vegas sounds like fun. Just name the time and the place. I'm sure you don't party much and neither do I anymore but I should still be able to hook up hotels and clubs very cheap (it's been a while). She owes me a LV trip since I let her go there with her sisters for a weekend. I'll just have to make sure to check in every hour lol.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08