Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraVic
O.K., so having 500hp and loosing the 'stop light wars' to our rivals would suck. If the TL was tuned to 400hp and 400lbs of torque would it be faster
0-60 on regular tires ? My goal would be a 12.5-12.9 quarter on premium gas and all season radials. Possible ?
Who says you're gonna lose?

On the launch, all that power would handicap us, but as IHC said, afterwards, we should be blowing by him like he's nothing (which makes it all the more satisfying, imo. ). The only thing to worry about is how long it'll take to get the traction and catch up to him, which is where the tire spin & such comes in.

For people that who do rolls though, I'd love to see just how fast a 500Hp TL could launch from 40-60Mph while keeping tire spin under control.

But, of course, we still need to see how far this kit & a tune gets us. I have some moderately high expectations, though.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Who says you're gonna lose?

On the launch, all that power would handicap us, but as IHC said, afterwards, we should be blowing by him like he's nothing (which makes it all the more satisfying, imo. ). The only thing to worry about is how long it'll take to get the traction and catch up to him, which is where the tire spin & such comes in.

For people that who do rolls though, I'd love to see just how fast a 500Hp TL could launch from 40-60Mph while keeping tire spin under control.

But, of course, we still need to see how far this kit & a tune gets us. I have some moderately high expectations, though.
This is the qoute that prompted the question (A 500whp TL on anything less than drag radials will still get stomped to 40mph by a stock IS350 or 335. After that it should pass him like he's standing still. Drag radials are a must along with some real suspension mods.)

Your reaction tells that you think I am knocking the 'kit' in some way.
I am not. I totally support ALL who are trying to develop a turbo kit for our cars.
I asked a specific question to get a specific answer, based on a previous post.
I have high expectations also, like a drivable car that I can dust a 335 on the way home from the grocery store without my 'racing slicks'. I too, would like to 'leave' an IS350 from a roll, but also from a standing start.

So, here is the question again...
If the TL was tuned to 400hp and 400lbs of torque would it be faster
0-60 on regular tires ? My goal would be a 12.5-12.9 quarter on premium gas and all season radials. Possible ?

Last edited by AcuraVic; 05-26-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang, just realised this car giving us hope is a 6spd =[ lol

hmm will anything on the kit need modification to fit this onto a 5at? and will it still supposedly do better on the TL with a 5at rather than a 6spd? just hope the 5at tranny can hold anything above 350 whp. xP
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would be faster on a auto TL, unless u dont know how to really launch it, like stomping on the gas spinning threw all 3 gears.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
This is the qoute that prompted the question (A 500whp TL on anything less than drag radials will still get stomped to 40mph by a stock IS350 or 335. After that it should pass him like he's standing still. Drag radials are a must along with some real suspension mods.)

I am not. I totally support ALL who are trying to develop a turbo kit for our cars.
I have high expectations also, like a drivable car that I can dust a 335 on the way home from the grocery store without my 'racing slicks'. I too, would like to 'leave' an IS350 from a roll, but also from a standing start.

Again, traction is your enemy and it comes down to the rwd cars can put 100% of their power down from a dead stop and the TL can't do it even in stock form with a manual.

This isn't to say there's anything wrong with the kit, it's just one of the disadvantages of FWD.

Why would you handicap yourself to all season radials? Unless you live in an area with snow, there are no downsides to drag radials other than slightly higher wear. They are not "drag slicks". They have a very sticky compound, much, much stickier than the best ultra high performance summer tires but they are not wrinkle wall slicks. They can be driven to and from work every day.

How can more hp make the car faster to 40mph when a stock manual TL will scratch for traction all the way to 40? Wherever the point is that the stock setup will no longer spin, that's where the turbo car is going to start picking up.

Another way of saying it is 12.5 on drag radials will require roughly 370-380hp. 12.5 on all seasons will require an extra 100hp.

This crowd seems to put no emphasis on traction while the rest of the world knows traction is what wins races. I've taken down a 890rwhp turbo big block Nova race car on the street with my lowly 600rwhp 6 banger because I put 8-10 cars on him off the start and the extra 290hp wasn't enough to catch me in time. That was a street tire to slick matchup and all it takes is one humiliating race like that and you start to learn about 60' times as this crowd eventually will.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
It would be faster on a auto TL, unless u dont know how to really launch it, like stomping on the gas spinning threw all 3 gears.
You might be joking but you're right. 500whp will likely spin the first 3 gears on all seasons. Throw some drag radials on there and a few good suspension mods and it will likely hook somewhere in second or all of third.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was talking about slicks, but i forgot to actually say it.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts

First, any blown TL will leave a IS350 hard from a roll, a standing start is not the forte of any front wheel drive car. A few guys were running low 13s on steet tires, but there is only so far you can go before you need the traction of slicks.

335s and IS350s are fast cars so most of the time its who gets on the gas first. The TL is very very strong in the top end with the blower I would figure a turbo would only make that better. Drop into 4th at 60-70 you will bang the limiter at 140 in seconds. That 335 doesn't stand a chance.

As far as 400hp and TQ it would be all about how it was tuned and if you have a LSD. Slicks are just going to brake things IMO and a car with no LSD would be hard to control under boost. Good tires can only do so much.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
First, any blown TL will leave a IS350 hard from a roll, a standing start is not the forte of any front wheel drive car. A few guys were running low 13s on steet tires, but there is only so far you can go before you need the traction of slicks.

335s and IS350s are fast cars so most of the time its who gets on the gas first. The TL is very very strong in the top end with the blower I would figure a turbo would only make that better. Drop into 4th at 60-70 you will bang the limiter at 140 in seconds. That 335 doesn't stand a chance.

As far as 400hp and TQ it would be all about how it was tuned and if you have a LSD. Slicks are just going to brake things IMO and a car with no LSD would be hard to control under boost. Good tires can only do so much.
You're mostly right. Don't underestimate good tires. They will be a night and day difference.

You would of course need the supporting mods. Things you need for sure before you even think about trying to race with 500hp:

Urethane engine/trans mounts

Drag Radials

Shocks with adjustable rebound (Konis)

High performance clutch

Auto trans cooler with a good synthetic fluid

A solid 10w-30, 0w-40 (M1) or 15w-40 HDEO synthetic oil for the extra heat and double the factory torque lower in the rpm range. (Don't worry, many of these engines spec up to a 15w-40 in other parts of the world.)

These are the bare minimum requirements and I'm sure we can triple the list easily with recommended items. Axles will likely be on the short list but as of now we don't know how they will hold up with traction.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JS08TLS
400hp and 3500lbs will trap somewhere in the 114-116mph range. That's an 11 second RWD car or a mid-low 12 second FWD with an excellent driver with a well setup suspension and drag radials/slicks. I would bet an average driver going to the track for the first time, even on drag radials will likely run in the high 13s for the first few runs but should be able to bring it down into the 12s. Low 12s at that trap speed are possible but it will take many trips to the track and lots of practice.
So you are stating that ANY car that weighs 3500lbs and has 400hp will trap 114-116mph?[/quote]

Pretty much. There are exceptions but mph vs weight vs hp doesn't vary much. It's unaffected by traction and not as affected by gear ratios and such as ETs are.

You may try a google search, there are calculators out there. I'm going off the best of my old memory based on what my car was putting down.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You're mostly right. Don't underestimate good tires. They will be a night and day difference.

You would of course need the supporting mods. Things you need for sure before you even think about trying to race with 500hp:

Urethane engine/trans mounts

Drag Radials

Shocks with adjustable rebound (Konis)

High performance clutch

Auto trans cooler with a good synthetic fluid

A solid 10w-30, 0w-40 (M1) or 15w-40 HDEO synthetic oil for the extra heat and double the factory torque lower in the rpm range. (Don't worry, many of these engines spec up to a 15w-40 in other parts of the world.)

These are the bare minimum requirements and I'm sure we can triple the list easily with recommended items. Axles will likely be on the short list but as of now we don't know how they will hold up with traction.
I still think a limited slip diferential is very important even at the 290-320 WHP much less 400-500. I forgot about street legal drag radials, but I don't drag race. Too much power to unleash until you are moving, nothing like smoking the tires at 40 MPH without downshifting or popin the clutch.

On a side note modding cars that attract as little attention a stock TL does can be deceptive. The people who try to race you think they are going to easliy beat you and don't try as hard. Those who would be a good match won't pay any attention until you are well into tripple digits.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Advanced

....interesting.....

Originally Posted by I hate cars
So you are stating that ANY car that weighs 3500lbs and has 400hp will trap 114-116mph?
Pretty much. There are exceptions but mph vs weight vs hp doesn't vary much. It's unaffected by traction and not as affected by gear ratios and such as ETs are.

You may try a google search, there are calculators out there. I'm going off the best of my old memory based on what my car was putting down.[/quote]
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I still think a limited slip diferential is very important even at the 290-320 WHP much less 400-500. I forgot about street legal drag radials, but I don't drag race. Too much power to unleash until you are moving, nothing like smoking the tires at 40 MPH without downshifting or popin the clutch.
I remember back in my VW days (mid 90's) there were two mods that were very expensive but alone would allow you to embarrass any import hatch with most available bolt-on's: A Quaife differential and a bad-ass sequential racing tranny.

Don't the manuals/type-S's have a better diff than the auto's?

A Quaife quality diff would be sweet but they are so expensive and are for real serious players. I mean they were over $3K when I drooled over them 15 years ago.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by NedShneebly
I remember back in my VW days (mid 90's) there were two mods that were very expensive but alone would allow you to embarrass any import hatch with most available bolt-on's: A Quaife differential and a bad-ass sequential racing tranny.

A Quaife quality diff would be sweet but they are so expensive and are for real serious players. I mean they were over $3K when I drooled over them 15 years ago.
Yepp. 6spds and type-s come with LSD.

Is it worth upgrading though [if possible?]
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by NedShneebly

Yes, the 6 speeds come with a limited slip dif where as the autos are an open dif. I could do alot more showing off with an open dif but traction wise LSD is the way to go. I think LSDs for the auto TL's could be had for much cheaper than 3 grand.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 PM
practicing nihilist

well, they put the power down much more efficiently and post better times at the track. It's not all clutch vs. torque converter, right?

There was a great article in the recent Automobile mag about this new Ford Focus SVT coming out (don't laugh, looks pretty sweet). Initially it was poked at because they chose FWD over AWD. Well, it's LSD is so good that it posted a better lap time around (?)some track than the Ford GT.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I never said that. I was actually trying to tell you that you wouldn't lose "stop light" wars if we can figure out how to keep the wheel spin & traction from keeping us at the starting line.

I also never said you didn't support the kit. Don't jump to negative conclusions, when I'm actually trying to help support your wants....
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Ak Ting Up

IHC and Hi speed, thanks

Thanks for the answer to my question.
I recently drove a Jaguar XFR (coming out mid to late year). It is a 510hp 4 door M5 competitor. I drove it at Atlanta Motor Speedway with Indy car racers as tutors. The car is blazing fast (yes its RWD).
The traction control kept the read tires from blazing, and I posted a 12.5 quarter (yes, the let us drive the car hard). It also handled great thru a road course, then up on the bank of the speedway (its limited to 155).
All while wearing summer michlin sports.
Thats the kind of performance I'm looking for.

Last edited by AcuraVic; 05-27-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
guess the turbo kit failed... has anyone noticed that there havent been updates for over a month
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phee
guess the turbo kit failed... has anyone noticed that there havent been updates for over a month
You should have read this post then....
Originally Posted by pass427
Just a little update harness arrived yesterday from Paul ... So on Wednesday when tuner gets back I'll have a date .........as far as what ( I hate cars )said I agree 15 psi 500hp .... P2r had a bone stock j32 in a ef only difference it was running a Aem ems stand alone and made 511 @ 11. Psi check p2r site...
Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
DeFinItiON Of LoYALTY

still nothing huh? FAIL!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 847bogdan
still nothing huh? FAIL!
Are you stupid or are you just stupid? If you read the post above yours you should have been able to answer your own question. Just in case your a dumb bastard and cant read that, I posted his post again.
Just a little update harness arrived yesterday from Paul ... So on Wednesday when tuner gets back I'll have a date .........
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by sunny201
Are you stupid or are you just stupid? If you read the post above yours you should have been able to answer your own question. Just in case your a dumb bastard and cant read that, I posted his post again.
Who is worse, the ignorant one or the cruel one...Hmmm.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
You should have read this post then....
sorry, didnt know if he was talking abotu someoen elses harness, plus i didnt see the OP post anything. its hard to keep track of whats what in this thread.

BANELBA, you never called me abotu going to a dyno man. whats with that?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Who is worse, the ignorant one or the cruel one...Hmmm.
It's always worse to be ignorant than anything else.

Originally Posted by phee
sorry, didnt know if he was talking abotu someoen elses harness, plus i didnt see the OP post anything. its hard to keep track of whats what in this thread.
OP hasn't posted in a while, just the guys working on the P2R car.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Originally Posted by banelba
I will get over 300WHP or I will never post in this forum ever again.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MobTownTL
Laugh, laugh, we'll see who laugh last
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
hes back!!! haha hows the car working out man?

you have my faith
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
hes back!!! haha hows the car working out man?

you have my faith
Man crazy. But that is the price to pay to play and taking risk. I also changed a few things in my design.
One of the guys in this forum saw me with the car while i was testing it, about 2 weeks ago at the North Ave BP station . It was running fine expect that the tranni was not able to hold all the power. Crazy wheels spin also. I never driven a supercharge Tl nor been in one, but the Turbo is the way to go. If i did not go way to crazy on the boost, so the check engine light was not appearing to much, I could have be done.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Ak Ting Up

Originally Posted by banelba
Man crazy. But that is the price to pay to play and taking risk. I also changed a few things in my design.
One of the guys in this forum saw me with the car while i was testing it, about 2 weeks ago at the North Ave BP station . It was running fine expect that the tranni was not able to hold all the power. Crazy wheels spin also. I never driven a supercharge Tl nor been in one, but the Turbo is the way to go. If i did not go way to crazy on the boost, so the check engine light was not appearing to much, I could have be done.
So whats the next step (to tame the wheel spin)?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Instructor

So whats the next step (to tame the wheel spin)?
Just Sent you a PM with my number. call me
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Since I'm local, can I check this thing out sometime?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^And then you guys can race!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
wasn't laughing, but you left your own thread with no word. i mean it started to look that way. but since your back, glad that you are here. =]

btw what do you mean the tranny couldn't hold all the power?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
well tuner got back yesterday so I went to see him didn't get any tune I wasn't happy but he did get all the info he needed from Paul ....... He said not to worry let him get a few cars out the shop then he'll gives me a call ...So right now I'm at the mercy of the tuner .....I must admit just like everyone I'm getting impatient , but nothing I can do but wait....... But I'm sure there will be no dissapointment in this thread ..... Without the zine this wouldn't be possible so thanks again ....
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Ak Ting Up

Originally Posted by dan.....k
Since I'm local, can I check this thing out sometime?
Me First, Dan

I'll tell you that his car is competetive with last years RS4 (yes, the V8).
He competed with one on I85 north for a few miles, and the RS4 (manual), could not get away, and the guy was trying to get away.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I got the Shifts

im down to check it out too. you guys can hit me up.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
well tuner got back yesterday so I went to see him didn't get any tune I wasn't happy but he did get all the info he needed from Paul ....... He said not to worry let him get a few cars out the shop then he'll gives me a call ...So right now I'm at the mercy of the tuner .....I must admit just like everyone I'm getting impatient , but nothing I can do but wait....... But I'm sure there will be no dissapointment in this thread ..... Without the zine this wouldn't be possible so thanks again ....
Patience young one, this must be done right and the tuner has a fair amount of work in front of him to get the O2 biasing right, without getting this right the ECU will fight the "fat" 12.5ish:1 AFR needed when you are on her. At least talking to him on the phone he sounds competent to get this done.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Patience young one, this must be done right and the tuner has a fair amount of work in front of him to get the O2 biasing right, without getting this right the ECU will fight the "fat" 12.5ish:1 AFR needed when you are on her. At least talking to him on the phone he sounds competent to get this done.

Thanks a lot Paul I'll tell say this much without your help , I have no idea where we would be now .... The tuner is pretty confident after talking to you , he was going to get maps ready .........
Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

so its tuned now?

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08