Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pass427
J&R wants to thank everyone for their input, interest , concerns and patience, Special thanks to Richie , Special thanks to Paul . (av6).. Thanks for helping out when we needed you the most . Our boomslang harness has been shipped to Paul to get rewired correctly, scheduled to reach him Tuesday.

Bzyrice tried to meet up with me over the weekend to get a video update,but after last minute changes he ended going to another location than what we agreed on, not his fault u know how those family lunches go ...
But I'll try to answer most if not all the questions you guys might have about kit... And yes our kit will go into production as soon as all R&d and tuning is completed , and rest asure it will be 100% tested and functional
w00t w00t xP

just quick question, not sure if i missed this or not, but was wondering where the shop that the car is being worked on located at?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Exciting stuff.. especially to see what numbers it will produce. Plus more and more I read it seems like turbos are more reliable than Superchargers, hence their popularity among OEM manufacturers.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pass427
J&R wants to thank everyone for their input, interest , concerns and patience, Special thanks to Richie , Special thanks to Paul . (av6).. Thanks for helping out when we needed you the most . Our boomslang harness has been shipped to Paul to get rewired correctly, scheduled to reach him Tuesday.

Bzyrice tried to meet up with me over the weekend to get a video update,but after last minute changes he ended going to another location than what we agreed on, not his fault u know how those family lunches go ...
But I'll try to answer most if not all the questions you guys might have about kit... And yes our kit will go into production as soon as all R&d and tuning is completed , and rest asure it will be 100% tested and functional
Yah sorry about that man!! I really missed out.. dangit.. I was waiting outside for you for like 10 minutes before we figured out what happened lol ..oh well.. next time I am down there I am definitely going to meet up with you. Next time you are in orlando let me know! you got my number!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
more and more I read it seems like turbos are more reliable than Superchargers, hence their popularity among OEM manufacturers.
OEM turbo's maybe, BUT throwing it on a car not meant for boost is a totally different thing. the eaton chargers like the comptech unit, would be far more reliable than any turbo kit produced IMO. it has far less components to go wrong on you, doesnt share the same oil as your engine, so it cant be contaminated and ruin the bearings (100k miles before you need to change it), its linear powerband puts ALOT less strain on your motor, which will give you better reliability down the road lastly its wayyyyy easier to go back to stock if needed..... dont get me wrong, turbo has more potential and is far superior over a SC, but unless you have a fully built j series motor with the right electronics to run it correctly, you'll never reach that full potential anyways. a good tune does go along way though, but that hasnt even been reached with the comptech kits yet.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
^+1, but the MP62 in the comptech kits is undersized for our engines....
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
OEM turbo's maybe, BUT throwing it on a car not meant for boost is a totally different thing. the eaton chargers like the comptech unit, would be far more reliable than any turbo kit produced IMO. it has far less components to go wrong on you, doesnt share the same oil as your engine, so it cant be contaminated and ruin the bearings (100k miles before you need to change it), its linear powerband puts ALOT less strain on your motor, which will give you better reliability down the road lastly its wayyyyy easier to go back to stock if needed..... dont get me wrong, turbo has more potential and is far superior over a SC, but unless you have a fully built j series motor with the right electronics to run it correctly, you'll never reach that full potential anyways. a good tune does go along way though, but that hasnt even been reached with the comptech kits yet.
To make the same hp at the wheels, a turbo will put less stress on the engine. You have to make an additional 40hp or so to drive the blower just to break even with the turbo.

A turbo has less parts to wear out, the unit itself is a bit more reliable.

The powerband can't really be compared because there are so many variables. A roots blower will deliver nearly instant boost at very low rpms. A centrifugal will not reach full boost until redline.

Turbos can be sized differently to create very different powerbands. Twins tend to be more linear, singles tend to be more on/off. Just too many variables.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by I hate cars
To make the same hp at the wheels, a turbo will put less stress on the engine. You have to make an additional 40hp or so to drive the blower just to break even with the turbo.

The powerband can't really be compared because there are so many variables. A roots blower will deliver nearly instant boost at very low rpms. A centrifugal will not reach full boost until redline.

Turbos can be sized differently to create very different powerbands. Twins tend to be more linear, singles tend to be more on/off. Just too many variables.

These were exactly the lines I was thinking as well. Plus on the Comptech Blower.. if I remember correctly the boost wasn't so linear as it should be, it was more like SPIKE at around 5500 RPM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

i totally agree. turbo > SC

well, i was actually talking about a WHOLE turbo kit, not just the snail vs blower itself. there is alot more to a turbo set up if you include all of the intercooloer/exhaust piping, all the extra hoses and clamps that comes with it, intercooler, external wastegate, BOV, etc,.. theres just alot more that can go wrong with it, while the comptech kit is a very simple bolt on SC that sits right on top of the engine. comes with an elbow, air cleaner and a couple of brackets. very easy to install and much less complicated. IMO

as for reliability, it really depends on the individual. alot of people forget to use their turbo timers after running the car hard, letting the oil bake inside the compressor. also, if something foreign gets inside the oil iteself, by by compressor. there is just ALOT more maintanence with a turbo, compared to a roots charger which is vertually worry free

yes a roots charger gives you nearly instant boost at very low rpms, but no where near full boost due to the built in bypass valve, which only allows a certain amount of compressed air in until it is fully shut. so it is VERY linear, i see it for myself. 2-3k rpm (1-2psi) 3-4k rpm (2-3psi) 4-5k rpm (3-4psi) and tops out around 4-5psi from vtec to redline.

a turbo for instance can give you full boost as low as 3k rpm (depending on the size of the compressor of course) which can be VERY stressful on engine internals, not specifically designed to handle that kind of boost from the factory.

i agree.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 05-12-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

These were exactly the lines I was thinking as well. Plus on the Comptech Blower.. if I remember correctly the boost wasn't so linear as it should be, it was more like SPIKE at around 5500 RPM.
it may hit full boost at 5500 rpm, but by no means does it SPIKE. like i said in my earlier post, its a very smooth power delivery and much easier on the motor.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ Gotcha.. so then what causes the surging issue if it isn't sudden boost spike? And plus what about the fact that it puts a constant strain at the crank at all times?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 AM
BANNED

Spike can be caused by impropper tuning....

A roots blower puts about as much strain on the crank as you AC compressor while it is engauged.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
This page just taught me alot lol.. Thanks to I Hate Cars, NVA-AV6, 04Accordcpe, and the questions of Elegant Type S.. I usually skip all the posts until I see one of your names
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Sooo.... I finally got a chance to talk to rodney (the guy who's car is turboe'd)! I was supposed to meet him up yesterday, but I was having something installed on my car and ran out of time.. My car was not finished til 5pm.. and I had a concert to go to that started at 7 (NIN ROCKS LIVE!!).. so, I decided to call him to let him know! Rodney actually went to the shop looking for me.. and he didnt have my number to call me back.. dogh!! I just wanted to say that this guy is not trying to hide anything and is working with other forum members in trying to get this turbo kit running perfectly. Specifically in fixing the Harness. I think NVAAVC6 is the one helping him (see his post above^^) This is for all those people who say that he is not asking for help from other Acuarazine members lol. We both did not have time to meet today, but will try to meet early tomorrow morning. Can't wait. I will be taking video for the non believers. He drives this car everyday.

Ok since AcuraVic is the only one that posted questions for me I was able to ask Rodney these specific questions)

1. Is that the stock radiator ?
No, Rodney said that they are working to try and get some fans that will be included in the kit. They will be slim fans because of clearance issues. I asked him if they were FAL fans, but he said no.. they will be something better.. But, I guess he didn't want to say who exactly since he is still trying to get word back from them.
2. Does the intercooler cause a noticible increase in engine temp seeing its blocking 75% of the radiator.
He said no to this.
3. Does the intercooler pipes get hot ? And if so, will they get hot enough to melt the bumper cover?
He also, said no to this.
4. How is the traction control handling the added HP at hard takeoff ?
Since the car is only running on 1 psi until it gets tuned he does not know the answer to this question, since there is no real difference yet. He is running this car real easy since this is his only car.

Here are some other questions I asked him:
- What kind of exhaust are you running?
He is running a custom 3" magnaflow exhaust.
- How is the air flow to the intercooler with the bumper design?
He says that the bumper is designed to force air upward and through the area where the radio and the intercooler is. The shape of the plastic underpieces are what direct the air he said. He is also concerned about those with fog lights. He said that he may try and get different piping made for those people. SWEEET! since I have fogs!!
- What size turbo are you using now?
The turbo on the car now is 61 mm. He said that the kit will hopefully be upgradeable also. He was not sure if this specific turbo will be the one in the kit since he wanted to get the most efficient turbo with the kit. This will not be known until tuning is completed he said.
- Are you using an Air filter?
He said No. But he is planning to get either a 4 inch filter or a mesh.

Here are some other things he told me that I thought you guys might like to know.
- He is trying to use the AEM FC-1 (i believe that is what it is called)
- He just needs to get the harness in order to be able to tune with the AEM. He already sent the harness out to NVAAVC6. He said he gave him the tracking number already.
- He has driven the car over 400 miles the way it is now.
- P2R created the piping.
- He has also been working with Competition clutch to be able to get a clutch out there for us Manual TL drivers. He has over 1600 miles on this clutch right now. He also said that they will be creating a fly wheel. This clutch will be available through his company once R&D will be done. And then should be available from Competition within a year after the release through his company. WOOHOO!! This may be pricey though he said.
- He wanted a turbo mounted in the engine bay instead of below the car because he knew thats what more people would want and that he was not sure how to work with the turbo under the car. (because of issues with water and other things (i am assuming clearance issues as well))
- He also tried to get Vortech to create a supercharger for the TL, but they wanted to much money to R&D it. Money he thought would be better spent on building a custom turbo kit. I AGREE!

He sold his other car (a civic) to help pay for this.. He said he was well over 12k investing on this. I think that he is not only doing this for himself, but is happy to try and give us other TL owners hope of boosting our cars via a turbo.

Can't wait to meet him up tomorrow! I will be posting pics and a video up hopefully by tomorrow night! Let me know if you guys have any other questions or if there is anything specifc you want me to take a pic of!

to this guy!

RJ
Thanks for the input.. Hopefully everything goes good and its not like all the others because I want one
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
"Let's Do This"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when is this Monster finally going to be ready to see the gains???
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nva-av6
^+1, but the mp62 in the comptech kits is undersized for our engines....
in ct engineering defense, the tl is high compression motor, the does not need a lot of boost to be awesome, and ct built a kit that will add awesome performance for every type of driver, and still keep new car warrentys from honda
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by banelba
i really respect and appreciate your input. People in this forum should be more like you and some others.
When i started my set up, i was hoping to max out my expenses around 3,5k or 4k. At this time, i'm at $5600 and counting. And being at nit freak, i won't take anything but a fully operational car. In this process, i pissed my wife off more than once, had to postpone some bills payment, got call an asshole by someone in this forum, but once the product is finish, everyone will be calling me or us the man and expect us to forget everything we went through.
Some people like to make comment but will never initiate anything while others talk the talk and walk the walk. This should be a team work cause we all could and will benefit from a complete success. When i had my acura legend and belong to the legend forum, i had to deal with a lot of negative thinker. They never want to be the first to take a risk. But went parts were available, they were the first to get them. After a while, you get tired of it, and keep things to ourself or to a very limited circle.
By the way " yes we can". It's not easy, but "we can". Now go figure.
good luck bro, if you need any help call me

860-389-7799
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

i totally agree. turbo > SC

well, i was actually talking about a WHOLE turbo kit, not just the snail vs blower itself. there is alot more to a turbo set up if you include all of the intercooloer/exhaust piping, all the extra hoses and clamps that comes with it, intercooler, external wastegate, BOV, etc,.. theres just alot more that can go wrong with it, while the comptech kit is a very simple bolt on SC that sits right on top of the engine. comes with an elbow, air cleaner and a couple of brackets. very easy to install and much less complicated. IMO

as for reliability, it really depends on the individual. alot of people forget to use their turbo timers after running the car hard, letting the oil bake inside the compressor. also, if something foreign gets inside the oil iteself, by by compressor. there is just ALOT more maintanence with a turbo, compared to a roots charger which is vertually worry free

yes a roots charger gives you nearly instant boost at very low rpms, but no where near full boost due to the built in bypass valve, which only allows a certain amount of compressed air in until it is fully shut. so it is VERY linear, i see it for myself. 2-3k rpm (1-2psi) 3-4k rpm (2-3psi) 4-5k rpm (3-4psi) and tops out around 4-5psi from vtec to redline.

a turbo for instance can give you full boost as low as 3k rpm (depending on the size of the compressor of course) which can be VERY stressful on engine internals, not specifically designed to handle that kind of boost from the factory.

i agree.

Agreed. I have to say though, the roots on the TL is very different than what I'm used to. Usually full boost is instant at any rpm. I think the TL's is programmed to bring the boost in slowly so like you said, it's gentler on the internals.

With the way they set it up, they would've been much, much better off going with a centrifugal supercharger which has a natural curve like you describe and will deliver a lot more power at the same boost.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Spike can be caused by impropper tuning....

A roots blower puts about as much strain on the crank as you AC compressor while it is engauged.
It's a little more than that. AC takes roughly 5hp to turn. The blower takes 20-40hp to turn.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
BANNED

It's a little more than that. AC takes roughly 5hp to turn. The blower takes 20-40hp to turn.
It takes alot more than 5hp during the inital engaugement and spin up of the compressor, it may only take 5hp once it is spinning.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

just quick question, i read that it's running a 3" custom magnaflow, so i was wondering why turbo cars use 3" piping, and would you have to just straight pipe it 3" all the way back?

also, does the exhaust need to be single exits? or is it possible to make it dual exits, cuz if this set up does work, i think the exhaust should be dual exits to stick with the body styling (mainly the back bumper cut outs) of the TL. i've seen single exits on the TL, and i think they look awkward =\
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
just quick question, i read that it's running a 3" custom magnaflow, so i was wondering why turbo cars use 3" piping, and would you have to just straight pipe it 3" all the way back?

also, does the exhaust need to be single exits? or is it possible to make it dual exits, cuz if this set up does work, i think the exhaust should be dual exits to stick with the body styling (mainly the back bumper cut outs) of the TL. i've seen single exits on the TL, and i think they look awkward =\
With a turbo car you don't have to worry about too little backpressure. The better the exahust after the turbo flows the better it spools and the more power it will make. 3" piping will work great for ~600 whp and below. Coming off the turbo you want a 3" downpipe and you want a good 6" of straight pipe coming off the turbo before it bends. Once it gets under the car you can do what you want with it. Mine is 3.5" coming off the turbo and it splits into dual 2.5" exhaust under the car. IMO, dual exhaust sounds better and is a little quieter.

To answer your question, there would be nothing wrong with splitting the exhaust after the downpipe into duals.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

^^^ thank you thank you. =]

so technically the stock exhaust on the TL would be fine? or would there need to be some slight modding done near the front of the car?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts

Good question, imo.

@I Hate Cars:
You're probably one of the people who can give me a clear answer, but is it possible for this turbo to run on the Type-S guys? Or would the 3.5L engine need more work & tuning? People have already said the Type S is everything Honda could squeeze out of the TL.

So, I'm mainly curious as to if this turbo kit for the TL could easily be adapted to the Type-S model.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen, they first off all haven't even got this fully working with the base TL ECU, the TL-S ecu is diff, and much harder to crack this is why they dont have a s/c for the tl-s yet.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Good question, imo.

@I Hate Cars:
You're probably one of the people who can give me a clear answer, but is it possible for this turbo to run on the Type-S guys? Or would the 3.5L engine need more work & tuning? People have already said the Type S is everything Honda could squeeze out of the TL.

So, I'm mainly curious as to if this turbo kit for the TL could easily be adapted to the Type-S model.
Only difference would be the ECM. I'm not sure what type of engine management we're going to see used for either TL. As an example of mine, all I had to do when I went from a 3.8L to a 4.2L was add 10% more fuel across the board. It was that easy. So if we end up with something that is tunable, adding roughly 5% fuel across the board should get you in the ballpark with the type S.

Will a 3.2L ECM plug in to a type S or are there other differences?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

^^^ thank you thank you. =]

so technically the stock exhaust on the TL would be fine? or would there need to be some slight modding done near the front of the car?
Stock would choke it down. But the basic routing is fine. You could copy it with larger piping.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

^^^ i see.

well i asked the guy with the car, he said the exhaust is a custom magnaflow with dual exits =] w00t w00t. can't wait to see this beast unleashed. just gotta work the lock on its cage xP
Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by sunny201
This page just taught me alot lol.. Thanks to I Hate Cars, NVA-AV6, 04Accordcpe, and the questions of Elegant Type S.. I usually skip all the posts until I see one of your names
Glad to be the token dumb bitch in the performance mods section of this forum..

Actually I myself learn alot by reading other posts and reading the web but.. there are just those things that don't make sense unless you ask one of these power modding nuts like "i supposedly hate cars" and "NVA", "04accordcpe" and some others, you won't figure it out.

I'm not one to be taking glory in getting boosted right away, but once sufficient testing is done and its safer than what it is now, I'm getting it done.. so to me research is key. I commend the rest for actually taking the plunge.. its a huge sacrifice for the rest of us.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Glad to be the token dumb bitch in the performance mods section of this forum..

Actually I myself learn alot by reading other posts and reading the web but.. there are just those things that don't make sense unless you ask one of these power modding nuts like "i supposedly hate cars" and "NVA", "04accordcpe" and some others, you won't figure it out.

I'm not one to be taking glory in getting boosted right away, but once sufficient testing is done and its safer than what it is now, I'm getting it done.. so to me research is key. I commend the rest for actually taking the plunge.. its a huge sacrifice for the rest of us.
It definitely is a huge sacrifice theyre making. If it wasnt for all the people who have taken the plunge on stuff on this site, and me finding acurazine.com, I wouldnt have done anything other than tint, a system, and 20"s. Now I have alottt more. Ive learned so much from everybody here and now I cant wait for this turbo to come out and be proven successful and reliable so I can throw it on too.
All these people got me so into cars and performance that im working on a J35 civic . Stillhere153(AL) started me off on this performance thing and now "I hate cars", and this thread, has me way more into it because sometimes it just amazes me how much he knows about cars when I read his post and it just gives me enthusiasm to try new stuff. What sucks is that I either put this turbo on my TL, or the civic lmao I dont have enough funds for both... TL FTW!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i got a goood feeling about this turbo thread
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
me too... ive never been so interested in a thread for a long time... cant believe i read all 11 pages
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM
2008 NBP

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggested an STS Kit and every one shut me down If I had the funding I know I could make it work
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by xrvman
I suggested an STS Kit and every one shut me down If I had the funding I know I could make it work
There were several STS threads in the past...
Each one of them got 'shut down' by other members because of the lack of tune...
The talk was there in the threads but not many people actually bothered bolting it up while making discussion about it.

This thread has got everyone on their toes now.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xrvman
STS = turbos for babies.

if 'you' are gonna spend the time and $$ to fab in a turbo setup then it should be done right, which means the turbo needs to be as close to the head as possible, and short intake runs, etc.

in OEM form the TL is not a suitable platform for a turbo. compression is way to high, cast-in-head exhaust manifold, and the blackhole ECM. and thats just engine stuff, drivetrain might prove futile and/or require lots more $$.

but hey, i said it before, time and $$ yields anything. lets see what becomes of this. however, time-to-market is also very important as i dont think there will be much interest if this project finally gets finished 14 months from now.

i would like to see actual costs associated with each task of this project, from parts to transporting to fabrication, etc...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please...i think im the only person that has seen, and partially installed a sts twin turbo system. but of course, it wasnt on the TL so i really cant give any input. all i have to say is the kit was VERY well put together and STS used garret turbos
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Listen, they first off all haven't even got this fully working with the base TL ECU, the TL-S ecu is diff, and much harder to crack this is why they dont have a s/c for the tl-s yet.
According to I Hate Cars, the only difference is the ECM. Second, a supercharger has been done for the Type-S. They may have used the s/c for the 3.2L, but the fact is that someone got it running, so we know it's possible if someone wants to develop a kit.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

[quote=Turbo_Kid;10892991]STS = turbos for babies.

if 'you' are gonna spend the time and $$ to fab in a turbo setup then it should be done right, which means the turbo needs to be as close to the head as possible, and short intake runs, etc.

quote]

LOL. That's what I've been saying for a while now. Spool suffers big time the further the turbo gets from the heads. The longer intake runs don't hurt it as bad as you would think but it's always a good idea to keep them short when possible.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Instructor

it may hit full boost at 5500 rpm, but by no means does it SPIKE. like i said in my earlier post, its a very smooth power delivery and much easier on the motor.
i think what you are talking about is VTEC cross over. The CT Blower kit has VTEC start around 3000 rpm, which is wierd when you are cruising on the Highway, because you are rolling in and out of VTEC (surging)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
According to I Hate Cars, the only difference is the ECM. Second, a supercharger has been done for the Type-S. They may have used the s/c for the 3.2L, but the fact is that someone got it running, so we know it's possible if someone wants to develop a kit.
Rick-
I am the guy that got the Type-S car running....Sean too

Anyways. I never would have had the balls to do it, if someone had not said "Acura ECU's are so smart, block learn will keep the car safe" and "besides it only 5 pounds"

I spent weeks learning about the ECU in these cars, and talked to everyone out there. The truth is run it, see what happens, get yourself a CT ACM, and try it, it is a hell of a lot cheaper the Emanage, or the AEM. And with these stand alone units, you will spend thousands of dollars, if you can find anyone good enough to tune the thing..... When on a dyno, you will see HP numbers go up with every pull, and you never get the same number twice

if you want to get crazy, get an ACM from CT, and a set of RSX injectors,

if you do want to tune a stand alone unit, let me know, I am still interested in unleashing the beast in the type S from a better tuned ECM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo_Kid
STS = turbos for babies.

in OEM form the TL is not a suitable platform for a turbo. compression is way to high, cast-in-head exhaust manifold, and the blackhole ECM. and thats just engine stuff, drivetrain might prove futile and/or require lots more $$.

but hey, i said it before, time and $$ yields anything. lets see what becomes of this. however, time-to-market is also very important as i dont think there will be much interest if this project finally gets finished 14 months from now.

i would like to see actual costs associated with each task of this project, from parts to transporting to fabrication, etc...
STS Turbo + STS Turbo= big HP Numbers

as for the drive train, we are putting up around 350 Hp, and have no drive train problems on a Type S

And you can not put a price on developing something like this first. the attention this car will get is priceless.

Good Luck, and can I get a ride when this car is finished"?

Last edited by subsonicman; 05-13-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08