Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
I don't really know too much about meth injections but rodney told me a while ago that I wouldn't need one unless I started to go over the 430whp range. For the time being Im going to stick with the basic tune of 375whp or so and really learn all the in's and out's of keeping my TL running flawlessly on daily basis at this level since this is my DD. Then once I see that everything is running peachy, Ill start upgrading to bigger and better things like a meth kit and so on.

and the other thing is this. my girlfriend is paying for the installation of the kit as my Christmas present and if its not done by around that time shes gonna be pissed lol.

What other advantages does the fic-8 offer over the fic-6 besides what was already mentioned?
I planned on running meth no matter what for the peace of mind of having the extra octane. Looking into this further and based on what Opel said, a Snow Stage II is self contained and to do something using the F/IC would be more complicated.

The main reason to upgrade (to me anyway) would be to have an integrated boost controller along with the ability to store more than 1 map.

I am also going to be installing a carputer so it's not as big a deal for me. If you look at the feature differences, I just figured it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

I've PM'd Rodney and told him to go ahead with the original plan as he wanted us all to agree to it. It's no problem for me.

Last edited by KN_TL; 12-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
On the subject of boost controllers, you can get a slight loss in spool time depending on which wastegate and which boost controller you're using.

Many wastegates begin to crack open way before full boost is reached. You can keep it shut longer with a good boost controller assuming the wastegate is large enough to handle opening later.

For meth injection, my personal preference is to get a progressive kit and forget it. Using the FIC8 to trigger something like nitrous would be a great idea but the meth is already well controlled and progressive kits are available that will control it better than the FIC8 can.

Meth might not be necessary at the lower boost levels but you will make more power and be in a much safer zone.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I planned on running meth no matter what for the peace of mind of having the extra octane. Looking into this further and based on what Opel said, a Snow Stage II is self contained and to do something using the F/IC would be more complicated.

The main reason to upgrade (to me anyway) would be to have an integrated boost controller along with the ability to store more than 1 map.

I am also going to be installing a carputer so it's not as big a deal for me. If you look at the feature differences, I just figured it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

I've PM'd Rodney and told him to go ahead with the original plan as he wanted us all to agree to it. It's no problem for me.

Sounds good. I just want to get kit asap. The ability to run two maps would be nice, but the wait is killin me. I think I might be 2k in suporting parts already and I am making Summit orders daily.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

from reading the posts here and doing some homework on meth kits, i was thinking the same thing in regards to the snow performance kit being a better overall kit with its abilities to have adjustable settings.

the ability to have 2 maps is a really nice feature of the fic-8. i like the idea of being able to cruise all day on lets say 6psi and if want to play with a new m3 i can change to a higher boost with a second map. but like u guys, im so eager to get this kit that i dont want to wait any longer either.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
18psi

hcars;11547640]
For meth injection, my personal preference is to get a progressive kit and forget it. Using the FIC8 to trigger something like nitrous would be a great idea but the meth is already well controlled and progressive kits are available that will control it better than the FIC8 can.

Meth might not be necessary at the lower boost levels but you will make more power and be in a much safer zone.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the same thing about a progressive kit also but wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up. ill be getting a kit in the near future thats for sure.

how much more hp would you see using meth at the same level of boost?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Sounds good. I just want to get kit asap. The ability to run two maps would be nice, but the wait is killin me. I think I might be 2k in suporting parts already and I am making Summit orders daily.
care to share what other goodies you have bought?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
runnin a little boost

Ok
1. Meth kit
2. New engine mounts
3. Boost controller
4. Oil cooler
5. Oil temp gauge W/ carbonfiber gauge cup
6. Coolant temp gauge to used as a IAT gauge
7. Clutch slave cylinder to do removal mod
8. Better rims and tires to help with traction
9. Electric exhaust cut out with 2.5" y pipe. I am keeping the quads.
10. All black 8- AN fittings and nylon braided hose.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

hcars;11547640]

Meth might not be necessary at the lower boost levels but you will make more power and be in a much safer zone.
i was thinking the same thing about a progressive kit also but wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up. ill be getting a kit in the near future thats for sure.

how much more hp would you see using meth at the same level of boost?[/quote]

If you did pure meth, you might see a 5% power gain, sometimes more (that's what I've seen) at the same boost level but again, less chance of detonation especially if you like to run it hard through all the gears.

In the winter less of a gain but in the summer it feels the same as winter.....almost.

Turbo cars slow down more in the summer and get much faster in the winter. Heck, they're much faster at night vs the day. More of a difference than when you're NA. The meth makes it much more like winter all the time.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 PM
18psi

Ok
1. Meth kit
2. New engine mounts
3. Boost controller
4. Oil cooler
nice list!!

IM 75a?

heres something im not quite understanding. if we are getting one map pretuned and installed to lets 7psi making 375whp, then why do you need a boost controller? can u up to the boost to lets say 10psi for example and still use the current map without problems?

...still educating myself here
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
If you did pure meth, you might see a 5% power gain, sometimes more (that's what I've seen) at the same boost level but again, less chance of detonation especially if you like to run it hard through all the gears.

In the winter less of a gain but in the summer it feels the same as winter.....almost.

Turbo cars slow down more in the summer and get much faster in the winter. Heck, they're much faster at night vs the day. More of a difference than when you're NA. The meth makes it much more like winter all the time.
thats a good way to descirbe it. makes sense to me.

IHC, i made a DIY thread for the tranny cooler. i just found out that there is only 1.5 inches max between the intercooler and the a/c condenser. my trans cooler is 1.5 inches thick already. what are my options here? ive seen some coolers that are .75 inches thick. should i get a thinner one but longer and wider to compensate? what do you think?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
runnin a little boost

thats a good way to descirbe it. makes sense to me.

IHC, i made a DIY thread for the tranny cooler. i just found out that there is only 1.5 inches max between the intercooler and the a/c condenser. my trans cooler is 1.5 inches thick already. what are my options here? ive seen some coolers that are .75 inches thick. should i get a thinner one but longer and wider to compensate? what do you think?
You could go with a Earls cooler that sits down in the bumper opening. That is what I am doing with my oil cooler.

As far as the boost controller. I think I will need it as I get higher power tunes. I am not sure if I can turn the boost up or down without a new tune. Not that I would let this happen, but say the wife drove the car and the boost needed to be turned down. I am almost thinking 85 A since tripplebets is having so much trouble with the softer bushings. I would like to wait for Excelerate's mounts but I don't think I can wait.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this is what it should look like in full sleeper mode.... all engine panels
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silva-type-s

I have to give it to you guys, that's amazing. If you didn't know the TL well you would not know there was a turbo in there. It looks pretty stock at double the factory hp. Amazing.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am almost thinking 85 A since tripplebets is having so much trouble with the softer bushings. I would like to wait for Excelerate's mounts but I don't think I can wait.
85's are track only bushings, they might be too stick for your daily driver. I'm really happy with my 75's, i would just stick to those if i were you.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by ussi
85's are track only bushings, they might be too stick for your daily driver. I'm really happy with my 75's, i would just stick to those if i were you.
Thanks, I will pick up a set.

On a unrelated note, how is you liteweight FW and CM set up?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I (don't) whine.

Thanks, I will pick up a set.

On a unrelated note, how is you liteweight FW and CM set up?
it's awesome, i think they FINALLY got it right. The thing is you have to get the entire CM kit for it work. What are you going to do for a clutch? Isn't rodney providing a relatively cheap option?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 AM
18psi

looks awesome. cant even tell thats it not stock if you didnt know the car.

will the turbo melt that battery cover?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok
1. Meth kit
2. New engine mounts
3. Boost controller
4. Oil cooler
Keeping the quads huh? Damn. I needed to sell mine to finance this whole thing. What are you going to do on the mufflers? the inlets are 2.25" I believe.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree that using a advanced Meth controller would be better, my thought was more of a control for the controller where again if just doing mild street crusing/daily driving you can use the FIC to completely shut off the controller so that it completely turns off the injection system thru a relay.

I don't know about most of you, but building FI vehicles for a number of years I have been waiting for such a simple way of having a dual tune as the FIC-8 provides, think of it this way, do you really want to push everything to it's limit on the street all the time while going back and forth to work/school or would you rather save the extra stress until you really want it for theat weekend track session. Thru a simple process of shutting off the car, flicking a switch and re-starting you can completely change the vehicle.

Of course have different fuel and timing maps.
Since boost control is built in you can got from a 4-5PSI street to a 10+PSI race.
Thru the analog channels on the car you can control and even tune.....
----Turn on and off meth injection.
----Control fans to provide xtra cooling
----Open a exhaust cutout at high RPMs
----Even have a fuel cell in the trunk with it's own pump filled with C16 and use a flow control solinoid to select between street gas and race gas.

The flexability avalible allows for a mild mannered street machine that then with a single switch throw can change to a real beast, a true Jeckel and Hyde, with good daily driving gas milage and higher reliability.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
I agree that using a advanced Meth controller would be better, my thought was more of a control for the controller where again if just doing mild street crusing/daily driving you can use the FIC to completely shut off the controller so that it completely turns off the injection system thru a relay.

I don't know about most of you, but building FI vehicles for a number of years I have been waiting for such a simple way of having a dual tune as the FIC-8 provides, think of it this way, do you really want to push everything to it's limit on the street all the time while going back and forth to work/school or would you rather save the extra stress until you really want it for theat weekend track session. Thru a simple process of shutting off the car, flicking a switch and re-starting you can completely change the vehicle.

Since boost control is built in you can got from a 4-5PSI street to a 10+PSI race.
----Even have a fuel cell in the trunk with it's own pump filled with C16 and use a flow control solinoid to select between street gas and race gas.

The flexability avalible allows for a mild mannered street machine that then with a single switch throw can change to a real beast, a true Jeckel and Hyde, with good daily driving gas milage and higher reliability.
Agreed. On a car like the TL you could have nearly 100hp between a mild street tune and an aggressive race gas tune.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 698 Posts
"Turbo? What turbo, man?"
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
BANNED

I would definatly add some heat shielding to the underside of that plastic pannel......
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah ^^ agreed. i can't wait to hear the reviews and see what this kit can do. hey paul the j36 u build will it handle 10psi? just making sure, and what do i need to do to make it push more psi, like 12-14 psi?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM
BANNED

Yes, a J36 will handle 10PSI, with rod and piston upgrades 15 should also be doable.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

I would have been willing to wait but don't want to hold up people who don't. Maybe I'll try to sell the original right off the bat and upgrade but not having the benefit of having J&R test it beforehand will be missing.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
BANNED

I would have been willing to wait but don't want to hold up people who don't. Maybe I'll try to sell the original right off the bat and upgrade but not having the benefit of having J&R test it beforehand will be missing.
Go ahead and run at first with what they send for now, latter when you upgrade to the 8 let me know and I am sure I can find a good home for your 6, I am building plenty of NA/SC Js.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

Go ahead and run at first with what they send for now, latter when you upgrade to the 8 let me know and I am sure I can find a good home for your 6, I am building plenty of NA/SC Js.
Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
runnin a little boost

This is exactly what I am thinking. Can the maps from the FIC-6 be tranfered to the 8? I will pick it up once I get some miles on the kit.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
BANNED

This is exactly what I am thinking. Can the maps from the FIC-6 be tranfered to the 8? I will pick it up once I get some miles on the kit.
I believe so, but have not done that yet myself.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

So you don't think it's worth a few weeks of time to have the best people test it out for us?

I'm a little different than libert69 and yourself where I haven't done or bought anything yet. But with this, since it is something we all would do 'eventually', I just think we're missing an opportunity to make sure it's right by the very people who are taking such care to make sure we get working it as it should.

Last edited by KN_TL; 12-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ussi
it's awesome, i think they FINALLY got it right. The thing is you have to get the entire CM kit for it work. What are you going to do for a clutch? Isn't rodney providing a relatively cheap option?
USSI, can you tell me what you got from CM? I assume you had to send in a stock FW to get the ring swapped?

Right now, J&R has a friction disc and I think they're going to be working on a full kit.

But it would be good to know there's an alternative if I eat mine before they have something ready.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
runnin a little boost

So you don't think it's worth a few weeks of time to have the best people test it out for us?

I'm a little different than libert69 and yourself where I haven't done or bought anything yet. But with this, since it is something we all would do 'eventually', I just think we're missing an opportunity to make sure it's right by the very people who are taking such care to make sure we get working it as it should.
My concern is not the wait time, but the additional cost to Rodney for having to test and maybe retune. How long are we talking if we go with the FIC-8? It is just a matter of pluging the tunes into the FIC-8 and maybe playing with the other fuctons, this wouldn't push back the delevery date too much and that would be fine. If it is going to add significant time to the kits release date maybe just stick to the FIC-6.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Safety Car

My concern is not the wait time, but the additional cost to Rodney for having to test and maybe retune. How long are we talking if we go with the FIC-8? It is just a matter of pluging the tunes into the FIC-8 and maybe playing with the other fuctons, this wouldn't push back the delevery date too much and that would be fine. If it is going to add significant time to the kits release date maybe just stick to the FIC-6.
It's all good. We can stay with what you guys want. Like I said, I don't have anything sitting there waiting and snow started flying up here, so I have a lot of time to get mine in.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Missed the 5min window. Rodney had already said they were willing to test it for us and it was just a matter of time since it is the end of year with the holiday's and vacations.

I am anxious but not as much as you guys so it's ok.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thumbs up for testing for a perfect tune. PAUL u are a true genius i love the idea of being able to switch from a DD 5psi tuned car to a Track 10+psi tuned car with a flip of a switch! this will make for a very practical yet fun car!! i love it guys keep the ingenuity going, im learning alot just from this thread
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 434 Likes on 320 Posts
I'm almost 90% sure I will buying this turbo and instead of getting a M3. I will pursuing a custom built LS7 car as my project and my Turbo TL as my DD. Going to start getting some essentials for some good track runs such as RSB, Strut Bar, and suspension. Just not 100% sure when I will be putting deposit/full payment for the turbo.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I (don't) whine.

USSI, can you tell me what you got from CM? I assume you had to send in a stock FW to get the ring swapped?

Right now, J&R has a friction disc and I think they're going to be working on a full kit.

But it would be good to know there's an alternative if I eat mine before they have something ready.
They have an updated pressure plate so my clutch pedal feels pretty close to stock. I live within driving distance of CM so they swapped my ring gears. I haven't talked to them lately but i know aasco makes their flywheels and I think they've corrected the problem. Despite all the shit i had to go through with their clutch, they've been pretty cool about it. They even built me a custom flywheel for my 3.5 crank in a matter of days
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I'm almost 90% sure I will buying this turbo and instead of getting a M3. I will pursuing a custom built LS7 car as my project and my Turbo TL as my DD. Going to start getting some essentials for some good track runs such as RSB, Strut Bar, and suspension. Just not 100% sure when I will be putting deposit/full payment for the turbo.
Now that's a plan.

What are the goals for the LS7?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 434 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Now that's a plan.

What are the goals for the LS7?
Well, here is a teaser. I actually got a good deal on a LS7 engine and have it in my garage.

The 2300 LB LS7 custom car.

Last edited by TheChamp531; 12-07-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM
18psi

I hope I'm not being stubborn here when I say Id rather stick with the 6 over the 8 and prevent you guys from getting what you really want. If both of you want the 8 then why couldn't Rodney just send my kit with the 6 (since its basically done) and work on incorporating the 8 for you guys?

Like i said before....2 maps seems like a great idea. But for me, I don't see it being practical. I'm scarred sh*tless as it is with my auto tranny getting an extra 175hp or so. Only time will tell how it handles the extra power. Anything more then that and I feel like im asking for trouble. We'll just have to wait and see. If you guys remember way back when this thread started, Banelba destroyed his auto trans only a few days (I believe) after having his turbo installed. I don't even know what kind of power he was putting down.

The other reason is this. I don't go to the track or autoX my car. The only times I really get on my car is on the highway with other drivers. If I had 2 maps installed, I think I would be very tempted to use the more powerful tune more times then not when daily driving and I would probably run into more problems that I can handle.

On a another note, I said before that I have to change my tranny cooler because i found out it wont fit with the intercooler. I found a few plate coolers that are .75" thick and I think that will give me enough clearance. From what Ive read, it seems that plate coolers achieve lower temps and tube and fin achieve better flow. B&M has the same cooler i have now but with a thickness of .75" vs 1.5". Would this be a wise choice or should I go for something that Hi Speed recommend which is long narrow cooler? most of the longer coolers are tube and fin design though..what to do what to do...........

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08