Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also if anyone wants to know why J&R clutch kit wasnt used, the clutch will be available soon but since we're pressed for time we went ahead with the P2R disc to get things moving. i know a few members are waiting for the clutch setup and we will have it as sooon as we put the tranny back in...ETA is late January and will include the flywheel
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
are you guys willing to sell the tranny case half? pic below.

if so i can have u some money asap. lmk via pm

Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
That is too bad.

Will J&R possibly look at that failure and develop something that will hold up over time?

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
As a related note, 04accordcpe has had similar failures with his manual trans. Check page 50 of this thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Straight cut gears..
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

^ Is there anything in between? Although I love the sound of a tranny with straight cut gears, I think it would get on my nerves as a DD.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
^ Is there anything in between? Although I love the sound of a tranny with straight cut gears, I think it would get on my nerves as a DD.
Sort of.... But I suspect the real problems are both the shafts and gears. Straight cut gears don't put as much stress on the shafts and are stronger. Once the shafts start flexing it can cut the torque capacity of the gears by half or more.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sort of.... But I suspect the real problems are both the shafts and gears. Straight cut gears don't put as much stress on the shafts and are stronger. Once the shafts start flexing it can cut the torque capacity of the gears by half or more.
I am talking from a totally noob perspective here so please forgive me if this is a really stupid question.

If it is a problem with the materials flexing, can a stock set of shafts and gears be put through additional heat treating to help with that or will it make things too brittle and subject to simply exploding?

If nothing like that is possible, what would it take to create a stronger set of components in our transmissions? What type of shop is capable of something like that?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Shafts are pretty damn solid, but the housing itself, especially around the diff bearings could get interesting......
Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by phee
are you guys willing to sell the tranny case half? pic below.

if so i can have u some money asap. lmk via pm

what about the whole kidney trade transaction?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Shafts are pretty damn solid, but the housing itself, especially around the diff bearings could get interesting......
by interesting I hope you don't mean hazardous..
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Silva types has helped out by agreeing to keep you guys fully updated until i can get time to keep up with the thread and I hate takinglong to answer you guys question so feel free to ask silva types & if he's not sure he'll get a sure answer from me to post ... And please guys all your resources put together migh help us with a solution ..... I'll let silva types carry on oh by the way I hate cars when ure ready we already have worked out something to get u a ki so u possibly can help out the auto guys with higher line pressure ect.....
Old 01-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by pass427
Silva types has helped out by agreeing to keep you guys fully updated until i can get time to keep up with the thread and I hate takinglong to answer you guys question so feel free to ask silva types & if he's not sure he'll get a sure answer from me to post ... And please guys all your resources put together migh help us with a solution ..... I'll let silva types carry on oh by the way I hate cars when ure ready we already have worked out something to get u a ki so u possibly can help out the auto guys with higher line pressure ect.....
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

I HATE CARS

IHC - Important message above. Please don't overlook.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
a baller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm sure this is answered somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. What is the highest whp the tranny on a 5AT has been tested at?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I HATE CARS

IHC - Important message above. Please don't overlook.
Thank you sir. My eyes are getting bad in my old age.

For the poster above I believe the trans has been tested to slightly over 300whp but don't quote me on that.

What I'm going to do is find a way to have a proper line pressure rise that follows boost. This should add tons of durability. I believe the TL uses high energy clutches which should hold up well with a normal fluid (not Z1) in a higher power application. How well the hard parts will hold is anyone's guess. The planetary gearsets tend to be stronger than manual transmission helical cut gears but the weak link is the clutches or sprag clutch many times.

The obstacles I can think of off the top of my head are:

Clutches won't take the power/pressure
Hard part/case failure
Pump volume/pressure/reliability @ 1.5 times stock pressures

If the weak link turns out to be clutches it's a super easy fix.
If the weak link is the pump, there are many ways to "help out" a stock pump.
If it's a hard part failure, there are options. People have been hardening stock planetaries, sunshells, input shafts, etc. for 50 years. If it's the case, well, we may be out of luck. The cost even if it were upgradable wouldn't be far from the cost of the turbo kit.

But the number one issue to get out of the way first is proper line pressure rise. This is what causes the clutches to burn up. At half pedal the turbo TL is making at least stock hp levels yet the transmission is only getting half of it's full line pressure. It needs to see the (stock) full line pressure at 0-1psi boost and ramp up even more from there to keep clutches from slipping.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-19-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
Also if anyone wants to know why J&R clutch kit wasnt used, the clutch will be available soon but since we're pressed for time we went ahead with the P2R disc to get things moving. i know a few members are waiting for the clutch setup and we will have it as sooon as we put the tranny back in...ETA is late January and will include the flywheel
eta of late january is for the new clutch and flywheel or the actuall shipment of the whole turbo kit?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I got the Shifts

what about the whole kidney trade transaction?

seriously though. i need a case.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by libert69
eta of late january is for the new clutch and flywheel or the actuall shipment of the whole turbo kit?
pretty sure he means whole turbo seeing as its almost the 20th
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by libert69
we're working on that... i want everysingle member that posted in this thread to know that nothing disappoints than not meeting the promised deadline... we're literally ruing business relationships by stressing how important it is to keep our word and promise dates to you guys.... our reputations are on the line so please forgive us for the delays. once you get the kit it will be a bold on because we will advise you of what needs to be done in order to not go through what we have been through with the TL...

Thank you for your patience... we also want you guys to know that we also went through delays to get everything up and running.....

Phee. i dont belive we have just the haf case up for grabs until we get another tranny.... if it doesnt go into my car you will be the first to know..... i will actually be the prototype for the 2G if they to go with the kit... the manifold will most likely be the only difference..

Once again thank you for your patience and understanding
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Team Owner

we're working on that... i want everysingle member that posted in this thread to know that nothing disappoints than not meeting the promised deadline... we're literally ruing business relationships by stressing how important it is to keep our word and promise dates to you guys.... our reputations are on the line so please forgive us for the delays. once you get the kit it will be a bold on because we will advise you of what needs to be done in order to not go through what we have been through with the TL...

Thank you for your patience... we also want you guys to know that we also went through delays to get everything up and running.....

Phee. i dont belive we have just the haf case up for grabs until we get another tranny.... if it doesnt go into my car you will be the first to know..... i will actually be the prototype for the 2G if they to go with the kit... the manifold will most likely be the only difference..

I fully understand how these things go. I've missed my own date by a year and that was working nearly 5 hours a day on the car. So many unforseen things that can come up. You guys have done great in not just throwing a half assed kit out there like Comptech did. The delays show that you guys are more thorough than most. I've seen some of the small changes that you didn't have to do but you did to improve on the kit. You probably could've released a kit months ago if you didn't care about it being perfect so I think it's great.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I spoke to Rodney yesterday about the failure, sorry to hear about that. Just to let you guys know , we have been useing a Spec clutch built in Bessemer Al. for almost 3 years. We have NEVER had any slipping issues and it still works fine and the last dyno WHP #s were 532HP.

As for the transmission it looks like the same issue we have had on our Odyssey. We have taken some time off but are at present starting to look at our issue again. I hope together we can find the solution. We have blown 3 or 4 transmissions so far I lost count.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

As we all know jandr will be working alongside Honda Racing this year with a few new projects , but just to show how dedicated we are (I'm glad
Honda racing team posted ) to let u guys know as soon as trans broke we contacted them , which as they posted we are glad to know there budget is coming back I'm sure between honda , jandr and forum we will be able to rectify this problem ,which I'm sure we will be plagued with when tring to make power and we are tring to do this reliably which can be done, we already have overcome issues of turbocharging the motor which have been addressed thoroughly.....
The only sole reason we are behind is due to our breakage which was totally out of our hands ... Know I know as a customer myself nothing I'd love to be compensated for my wait which we will do everything in our power to do because honestly I know you guys are anxiously waiting and have been patient.........
We ourselves are a little dissappointed , not that we didn't expect or wasn't aware , we were just hoping this would happen after all tuning ect was completed ,but instead of sitting around and bickering we are working on it taking it out and a quick rebuild then after we will focus on upgrade ..
On a better note we took posssesion of our loaner 2007 Acura tl manual type S .thanks to (Xiomaro) which will be at nscra event in march with kit installed ..................................
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Thanks Xiomaro for contributing your ride ! I am sure that I speak on behalf of all of us, especially the Type-S members.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Thank you sir. My eyes are getting bad in my old age.

For the poster above I believe the trans has been tested to slightly over 300whp but don't quote me on that.

What I'm going to do is find a way to have a proper line pressure rise that follows boost. This should add tons of durability. I believe the TL uses high energy clutches which should hold up well with a normal fluid (not Z1) in a higher power application. How well the hard parts will hold is anyone's guess. The planetary gearsets tend to be stronger than manual transmission helical cut gears but the weak link is the clutches or sprag clutch many times.

The obstacles I can think of off the top of my head are:

Clutches won't take the power/pressure
Hard part/case failure
Pump volume/pressure/reliability @ 1.5 times stock pressures

If the weak link turns out to be clutches it's a super easy fix.
If the weak link is the pump, there are many ways to "help out" a stock pump.
If it's a hard part failure, there are options. People have been hardening stock planetaries, sunshells, input shafts, etc. for 50 years. If it's the case, well, we may be out of luck. The cost even if it were upgradable wouldn't be far from the cost of the turbo kit.

But the number one issue to get out of the way first is proper line pressure rise. This is what causes the clutches to burn up. At half pedal the turbo TL is making at least stock hp levels yet the transmission is only getting half of it's full line pressure. It needs to see the (stock) full line pressure at 0-1psi boost and ramp up even more from there to keep clutches from slipping.
I have pulled many of these ATs apart, the cluches are nothing more than std compressed paper and the steels are weak (I cracked all of the 1st gear steels with a 3.5L build NA after 4 mths of hard use). No planetary gears in these, clutch pack drives the actual gear directly which are a cheap machined casting. pump pressure is easy to raise, it is a simple spring loaded plunger that sets max pressure, the 3 linear solinoids control pressure to the clutch packs and TC lockup. There are 2 simple pressure feedback sensors for 2 of the gears (forget which ones off the top of my head). Better clutches will be needed, overall pump pressure is a easy fix, but doing a rising rate on the pump will be fun. The pressure to the clutches can be changes by adjusting the linear solinoids, but it would be much better if we could alter the duty cycle from the ecu to them.

It might actually be much more reliable to swap out the AT ECU for a MT and develop a seperate controller for the AT........
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
BANNED

As we all know jandr will be working alongside Honda Racing this year with a few new projects , but just to show how dedicated we are (I'm glad
Honda racing team posted ) to let u guys know as soon as trans broke we contacted them , which as they posted we are glad to know there budget is coming back I'm sure between honda , jandr and forum we will be able to rectify this problem ,which I'm sure we will be plagued with when tring to make power and we are tring to do this reliably which can be done, we already have overcome issues of turbocharging the motor which have been addressed thoroughly.....
The only sole reason we are behind is due to our breakage which was totally out of our hands ... Know I know as a customer myself nothing I'd love to be compensated for my wait which we will do everything in our power to do because honestly I know you guys are anxiously waiting and have been patient.........
We ourselves are a little dissappointed , not that we didn't expect or wasn't aware , we were just hoping this would happen after all tuning ect was completed ,but instead of sitting around and bickering we are working on it taking it out and a quick rebuild then after we will focus on upgrade ..
On a better note we took posssesion of our loaner 2007 Acura tl manual type S .thanks to (Xiomaro) which will be at nscra event in march with kit installed ..................................
I think we are going to be chasing dominos here is a big way, even if we get stronger stright cut gears I see housing failures next, the trans housing castings are thin around the counter shaft bearings and diff bearings, also of higher concern is that the castings seem to be relly pourus which further weakens them.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Got your mom in

dam i misspelled a lot of words in my last post.... dont drink and post.... on another note..... i cant wait to see Xiomaro's car again... he's a cool dude and he has some crazy custom stuff done to his car
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM

dam i misspelled a lot of words in my last post.... dont drink and post.... on another note..... i cant wait to see Xiomaro's car again... he's a cool dude and he has some crazy custom stuff done to his car
Are you a pilot?.. it's ~9AM

edit: nvm.. I thought you posted this morning.. lol. Drunk posts are the best.. there should be a dedicated thread full of these in ramblings.

Last edited by Majofo; 01-20-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by Majofo
Are you a pilot?.. it's ~9AM
lol... no... i was referring to the post i made at 12:36 am...i was already tipsy at that point and posted via iphone
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I got the Shifts

thank you. im looking to buy it around feb 1-5th so dont forget about me.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I got the Shifts

lol... no... i was referring to the post i made at 12:36 am...i was already tipsy at that point and posted via iphone
dont drink and turbo
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Got your mom in

Originally Posted by phee
dont drink and turbo
i sure dont...... Rodney doesnt drink, so i do the drinking and he does the turbo-ing (if thats even a word)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Thanks Xiomaro for contributing your ride ! I am sure that I speak on behalf of all of us, especially the Type-S members.
No problem guys, i don't mind being a guinea pig! lol
Now if I could just get my fricken Versus Front Bumper i'd be almost 100% done with the ride!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro
No problem guys, i don't mind being a guinea pig! lol
Now if I could just get my fricken Versus Front Bumper i'd be almost 100% done with the ride!
I need one too but this whole, group buy needs 6 more people and this body kit site says they have it one day and the next is saying you must be crazy, has stalled that. Another issue is the front plate mounting.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Xiomaro,

Are you 5AT or 6MT?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Got your mom in

^6mt and his car sounds pretty mean
Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^6mt and his car sounds pretty mean
Oh Silva, you make me blush! LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Got your mom in

^
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Burning Brakes

**official update***

So its 2;40am should be in bed ,however earlier i spoke with hondata i know everyone has spoken to them and the answer is always .........
However i spoke with Dough and we had a long talk which led to him letting me know hes WILLING TO HELP JANDR WITH THE ECU PART OF THIS TURBO KIT yes you read right, weve been calling nd calling and finally hope ,i have info in the next paragraph so grab a seat....

Hes advice me that for the 2007 and up Acura tl typeS Acura switched ecu program or something of the sort with this been done he can make flash pro a plug play kit for these years ,yes just like the civics which is an awsome product........

Now for years 2004-2006 unfortunately the flash pro would not be compatible,however he could reprogram the ecu to accomodate larger injector ,timing ,which would in return reduce the amount of control we rely on aem to control ,which in return would require aem for fine tune or high horsepower application..

This is the guy who did ussi ecu, so he explained the complications of the ecus which he can fix but havent due to the demand ,which hes pretty much agreed to help us out we adviced him about our failure and setback which has put us in overdrive to get these delayed kits out and our budget will be larger by february which i hope will allow us to get this up for our cars, which is going to be a big break ,especially for the 2007 up Acura Tl ..................

Q.Did u wake up in a drem and start typin or this for real?
A.This is real and im sure we are going to work on this til we get it done with the help and interest from the forum ....we made it this far im sure were going to make this happen....

Q. So is this another delay for kit ?
A.No this would be done after we fix our shop car and get kits out..

Q.So what if i purchase kit and reflash comes out?
A.For the people who are currently waiting we would accomodate them to any future improvements.

Q.When is this schedule to start been in starting stage ?
A.I would have to say up to DOUGH but im contacting him again in a few weeks to get started on info and possibly testing im saying March for now for beginning stage...

Q.Why was the project dropped in the first place?
A.According to sources tuning became a nightmare with iat temps as high as 170 during driving with high compression kit was incomplete needed an intercooler and a few motor failures led to a hault..

Couldnt have gotten this far without your help so once again
and lets not forget if NVA-AV6 didnt have the skills for the aem fic to work we would all be stuck and i think i speak for all so NVA-AV6.........

Last edited by pass427; 01-21-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
So its 2;40am should be in bed ,however earlier i spoke with hondata i know everyone has spoken to them and the answer is always .........
However i spoke with Dough and we had a long talk which led to him letting me know hes WILLING TO HELP JANDR WITH THE ECU PART OF THIS TURBO KIT yes you read right, weve been calling nd calling and finally hope ,i have info in the next paragraph so grab a seat....

Hes advice me that for the 2007 and up Acura tl typeS Acura switched ecu program or something of the sort with this been done he can make flash pro a plug play kit for these years ,yes just like the civics which is an awsome product........

Now for years 2004-2006 unfortunately the flash pro would not be compatible,however he could reprogram the ecu to accomodate larger injector ,timing ,which would in return reduce the amount of control we rely on aem to control ,which in return would require aem for fine tune or high horsepower application..

This is the guy who did ussi ecu, so he explained the complications of the ecus which he can fix but havent due to the demand ,which hes pretty much agreed to help us out we adviced him about our failure and setback which has put us in overdrive to get these delayed kits out and our budget will be larger by february which i hope will allow us to get this up for our cars, which is going to be a big break ,especially for the 2007 up Acura Tl ..................

Q.Did u wake up in a drem and start typin or this for real?
A.This is real and im sure we are going to work on this til we get it done with the help and interest from the forum ....we made it this far im sure were going to make this happen....

Q. So is this another delay for kit ?
A.No this would be done after we fix our shop car and get kits out..

Q.So what if i purchase kit and reflash comes out?
A.For the people who are currently waiting we would accomodate them to any future improvements.

Q.When is this schedule to start been in starting stage ?
A.I would have to say up to DOUGH but im contacting him again in a few weeks to get started on info and possibly testing im saying March for now for beginning stage...

Q.Why was the project dropped in the first place?
A.According to sources tuning became a nightmare with iat temps as high as 170 during driving with high compression kit was incomplete needed an intercooler and a few motor failures led to a hault..

Couldnt have gotten this far without your help so once again
and lets not forget if NVA-AV6 didnt have the skills for the aem fic to work we would all be stuck and i think i speak for all so NVA-AV6.........

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08