Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
+1 on the PCV valve, the stock honda ones are nto real stron especially under boost conditions. For my SC builds I usually put a catch can on it and route it to the intake side of the SC.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
None of those look bad. The variance is likely due to air distribution in the intake manifold. This is another reason not to tune to "the edge". You might have an overall race tune AF ratio of 13:1 but you could have one cylinder that's 14:1 and another that's 12:1.

Oil is almost surely from the turbo. Next time you pull the plugs, give it a few good runs first and then shut it down (after appropriate cool down of course). The plugs will probably be perfect. Remember, you're running quite a bit richer on average than stock so slightly dark plugs are fine.

As for the type of plugs, please don't take this as an insult to anyone because it's not... But the turbo Honda guys are the last group I would follow. They're about 15 years behind in the tech arena. You don't necessarily need to get the AC Delco brand but it's usually best to go with a plain copper plug with large center electrode for the higher hp applications. I know some turbo cars come with iridiums because they do work but they're not necessarily the best for performance.

Last, are you getting boost past the PCV valve?
was speaking to rodney about plugs and he tried using regular copper plugs 2 steps colder with a resistor when he was tuning that 550whp white tl (that crashed 2 weeks after it was finished). the car ran fine on the dyno but when it hit the street it wouldnt rev past 5000 (or something like that) and it was causing some problems with the ms3 ecu.

he switched to the ngk 2668 iridium and everything worked fine without changing anything else.

what does "boost pass the pcv valve" mean exactly? blow by?

if so, then no. i still have the oem pcv valve in place and we also welded a -10 bung off the front and rear valve covers that runs to a catch can. theres a breather tube that that comes off the can and pulls in air from the turbo inlet.

catch can is dry

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
+1 on the PCV valve, the stock honda ones are nto real stron especially under boost conditions. For my SC builds I usually put a catch can on it and route it to the intake side of the SC.
a while back i had a small little catch can hooked up in between the stock pcv breather tube. now, the tube is still in stock location

im wondering if i should remove the stock pcv tube and cap off the front valve cover and manifold since im running a catch can off the other sides of the front and rear valve covers?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
WDP Type-S sitting on air

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
i know this is a little off topic from your current discussion but i need some azine insight on a decision i am struggling to make and i dont want to start another thread so i apologize in advance for thread jacking.

i am SERIOUSLY debating if i should turbo my 08 type S or if i should take that money (saved up enough to do the full turbo build) and start a time attack project car on another platform probably an IS300. my current "direction" with the TL is VIP but id love to have a VIP style car that can really haul ass. i already understand that taking on another project car would be alot more money than a turbo type s but at the same time its something that i can work towards for a long time. most people (non-aziners) are telling me to start another car but no one I have talked to understands what its like to have a turbo TL except for you guys so i thought id ask.

ive been following this thread on and off since day 1 and i have to admit that i am extremely impressed by some of the numbers you guys have achieved.

any thoughts guys?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
was speaking to rodney about plugs and he tried using regular copper plugs 2 steps colder with a resistor when he was tuning that 550whp white tl (that crashed 2 weeks after it was finished). the car ran fine on the dyno but when it hit the street it wouldnt rev past 5000 (or something like that) and it was causing some problems with the ms3 ecu.

he switched to the ngk 2668 iridium and everything worked fine without changing anything else.

what does "boost pass the pcv valve" mean exactly? blow by?

if so, then no. i still have the oem pcv valve in place and we also welded a -10 bung off the front and rear valve covers that runs to a catch can. theres a breather tube that that comes off the can and pulls in air from the turbo inlet.

catch can is dry

a while back i had a small little catch can hooked up in between the stock pcv breather tube. now, the tube is still in stock location

im wondering if i should remove the stock pcv tube and cap off the front valve cover and manifold since im running a catch can off the other sides of the front and rear valve covers?
Regular copper plugs causing an issue like that is all but impossible. It was probably a variable that was overlooked such as the gap. Regular copper is all I run in my TL. Obviously ignition demands are quite a bit lower in mine but no issues with misfires. If the plugs you have are working, no need to change and I don't think there's any hp to be gained by changing plugs with a mild street tune. But under most conditions, the copper plug will be less prone to detonation and will last longer with some exceptions.

About the PCV, what I'm talking about is the valve not holding so you end up pressurizing the crank case with boost. This would explain both the valve cover leak and the turbo drain issue. It would also make it more likely to get oil past the rings.

You can go to just a breather setup and no PCV. Just be sure to change the oil more often as without a crossflow with fresh air, acids are going to build up quicker. With more frequent oil changes and since you're running a great oil already it won't hurt anything.

There's an upgraded PCV valve that's rated to hold over 30psi of boost for the GNs. I'm sure you could get it to work on the TL. Back when I was looking for this stuff, the GN "heavy duty" PCV was the only one around. There might be some Honda specific ones now, if anyone would know, it would be NVA-AV6. You can imagine the problem of 17psi blowing through a 1/2" hose (or whatever size the PCV hose is) into the crank case.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I thought you were running a catch can bert.. or was that another member.

edit: had the page open too long, read your reply.. I thought you did.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:26 AM
18psi

Regular copper plugs causing an issue like that is all but impossible. It was probably a variable that was overlooked such as the gap. Regular copper is all I run in my TL. Obviously ignition demands are quite a bit lower in mine but no issues with misfires. If the plugs you have are working, no need to change and I don't think there's any hp to be gained by changing plugs with a mild street tune. But under most conditions, the copper plug will be less prone to detonation and will last longer with some exceptions.
my reason for changing was to save some coin. with copper, i would change the plugs every oil change and at 2$/plug it makes sense. the iridium's im running now work but at 8$/each its costly to change them every couple thousand miles. not sure how much longer they would last vs regular copper.

About the PCV, what I'm talking about is the valve not holding so you end up pressurizing the crank case with boost. This would explain both the valve cover leak and the turbo drain issue. It would also make it more likely to get oil past the rings.

You can go to just a breather setup and no PCV. Just be sure to change the oil more often as without a crossflow with fresh air, acids are going to build up quicker. With more frequent oil changes and since you're running a great oil already it won't hurt anything.
i gotcha. heres my setup. -10 off front/rear cover to baffled can with a breather hose that goes into the intake tube off the turbo inlet. thats the correct way no?

now my question is, should i cap off the front valve cover and intake manifold with a rubber grommet where the oem pcv tube is and throw away the hose? or leave it in place? i see no need for it with my current setup but rodney left it in place.

how about the actual pcv valve...can i remove it and cap that off as well?

trying very hard to get these spark plug seals in. they are a bitch. i can get them flush with the valve cover opening but i cant get them to fully seat. its about another 1-2mm for them to fully seat.

i noticed that the rubber sleeve from the seal does not cause a snug fit around the coil pack. is it supposed to be like that? (paul ) im thinking the spark plug well makes contact with the outer edge of the seal.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 AM
BANNED

There's an upgraded PCV valve that's rated to hold over 30psi of boost for the GNs. I'm sure you could get it to work on the TL. Back when I was looking for this stuff, the GN "heavy duty" PCV was the only one around. There might be some Honda specific ones now, if anyone would know, it would be NVA-AV6. You can imagine the problem of 17psi blowing through a 1/2" hose (or whatever size the PCV hose is) into the crank case.
Not for these cars, it is a weak plastic piece made specifically for our valve covers. The tubing is only 5/16" for the PCV system.

On my SC setups there are several things that I make damn sure are connected to the inlet side to protect them from boost. EVAP, PCV, Brake Booster, and Breather. Yes it's a PITA, but it saves alot of headaches down the road. Now for you turbo guys I would look into maybe a vac manifold connected to the brake booster connection with a upgraded checkvalve between it and the intake. It's the little crap like this that makes major mods work for the long haul.

Last edited by NVA-AV6; 07-14-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Not for these cars, it is a weak plastic piece made specifically for our valve covers. The tubing is only 5/16" for the PCV system.

On my SC setups there are several things that I make damn sure are connected to the inlet side to protect them from boost. EVAP, PCV, Brake Booster, and Breather. Yes it's a PITA, but it saves alot of headaches down the road. Now for you turbo guys I would look into maybe a vac manifold connected to the brake booster connection with a upgraded checkvalve between it and the intake. It's the little crap like this that makes major mods work for the long haul.
Just when I think I am done....

Thanks for the pointers Paul
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

A bit off topic but when my car was stock and I was climbing the grapevine which is many miles of steep uphill with no level spots, eventually my cruise control would stop working. With the car in 4th gear, TCC locked, 2,000rpms it required 1-2psi of boost to maintain speed and the vacuum operated cruise control would use up all of the reserve vacuum. That's part of the reason my car came with hydroboost brakes and the later ones with electric brakes. The odds are against it but as in my father's car who converted to vacuum, pulling that hill for several minutes meant the brakes lost vacuum assist and you had one stop. The good thing is most of the time you need the brakes, you're probably not under boost lol.

Probably something for those doing extended boost runs, there's the chance that if you go quickly from boost to brake, you may not have full assist right away.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rptls08
i know this is a little off topic from your current discussion but i need some azine insight on a decision i am struggling to make and i dont want to start another thread so i apologize in advance for thread jacking.

i am SERIOUSLY debating if i should turbo my 08 type S or if i should take that money (saved up enough to do the full turbo build) and start a time attack project car on another platform probably an IS300. my current "direction" with the TL is VIP but id love to have a VIP style car that can really haul ass. i already understand that taking on another project car would be alot more money than a turbo type s but at the same time its something that i can work towards for a long time. most people (non-aziners) are telling me to start another car but no one I have talked to understands what its like to have a turbo TL except for you guys so i thought id ask.

ive been following this thread on and off since day 1 and i have to admit that i am extremely impressed by some of the numbers you guys have achieved.

any thoughts guys?
IMHO, things like stiffer motor mounts takes the luxury out of the ride.

If you want to go get dressed up and go to a nice place, you'll smell like you just came from a dyno session.

I don't regret doing this but I know if someone jumped in my car, I know their first reaction will be WTF. Then I'll scare the daylights out of them.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Took this chic out for a date and had to convince her, nothing was broken and the engine wont fall off before we got back home LOL
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
BANNED

BTW, all a PCV valve is is a check valve for air, it allows vacume to draw air from the crancase into the intake, you do nto need anything real expensive, infact valves like the ones below will work just fine as well as be more than robust enough to handle any boost level you guys will run.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VAR-92833/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VAR-92831/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VAR-92825/
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
shit..
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
18psi

ill bump this for anyone who may know how to get these spark plug seals fully in without damaging them.

i got them fully seated, take a closer look under the lip and they all have slight tears in them
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Oil.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
WDP Type-S sitting on air

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
IMHO, things like stiffer motor mounts takes the luxury out of the ride.

If you want to go get dressed up and go to a nice place, you'll smell like you just came from a dyno session.

I don't regret doing this but I know if someone jumped in my car, I know their first reaction will be WTF. Then I'll scare the daylights out of them.
haha thanks for the info. its prob not a good idea for me because i daily my car
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
18psi

Oil.
i thought about lubing up the seal before putting it in but i was thinking that it wouldnt make a proper seal and be tight. once these seals are in, they do not come out unless you pry them out b/c they have a metal ring inside it. if it didnt make a tight fit with oil on it and you try to get em out to wipe off the oil, you will damage them.

doesnt matter now since i need new ones any. grrrr. ill go with the oil this time
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 AM
BANNED

ill bump this for anyone who may know how to get these spark plug seals fully in without damaging them.

i got them fully seated, take a closer look under the lip and they all have slight tears in them
Put a little oil on them where they contact the spark plug tubes and when putting the valve cover on use your finger to make sure they are around the outside of the tubes. DO NOT force the valve cover down until you are 100% that the seals are around the outside of the tube.
The following users liked this post:
libert69 (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
18psi

Put a little oil on them where they contact the spark plug tubes and when putting the valve cover on use your finger to make sure they are around the outside of the tubes. DO NOT force the valve cover down until you are 100% that the seals are around the outside of the tube.
got it. i wound up using some lucas assembly grease i had

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...d=291&loc=show

when setting the cover, the seals should be in the number 2 position right?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
BANNED

got it. i wound up using some lucas assembly grease i had

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...d=291&loc=show

when setting the cover, the seals should be in the number 2 position right?
Correct, gently sit the valve cover on and use your finger to get the lip of each seal over the tube.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

i made my own. it attaches to the passenger head rest and basically sits eye level over the center console arm rest

yes, i took the check valve out. i went back and forth debating if i should and it boiled down to this (after talking to a 2 people that have had the twin disk for a while)...

heres their words

TLDREAM (N/A j35 swapped prelude)
I love the clutch. On my prelude it kind of killed the streetability of the car. I had the check valve removed at first, and with solid mounts, it made it a little rough to drive in stop and go traffic.

I just put a new slave cylinder on the car with the check valve still in it, and it returned much of the driveability. I would leave the checkvalve in. With the TL's built in dampaner in the master cylinder, and the checkvavle intact, it will make for a much less harsh engagement. Shouldnt be to bad for stop and go.

BMEYER (built j36 motor w/turbo)
I could see Rich's (TLDream) view about the check valve, but keep in mind that he's not pushing the sort of numbers that we are. He can afford to deal with a little bit of slippage because it's an all around stronger clutch than the stock setup. In our case, if we try to apply the power before the clutch is fully hooked up, we're going to burn up parts like crazy. That's the last thing
I want to do with a $2k clutch and flywheel.

so after that, i decided to have no check valve from the beginning. it is a little rough to drive this thing in stop and go but i guess thats another trade off if you want big power.
I've been doing a lot of searching on the Tilton products in the clutch area and found that they actually sell a flow control valve that does what the checkvalve does from the Honda factory. The difference is that you can change the orifice to tune the response.

They say that it will save you from drivetrain shock because of the difference in crank to input shaft speeds. I know these clutches are really designed for racing applications but I wonder if slipping the clutch a little is better than shocking the tranny internals.

On a different note, I ordered a baffled catch can.

Is welding the fittings to the valve covers the only way to go or can the covers be drilled/tapped and then use an NPT to AN fitting? Also thinking of using a fuel tank bulkhead fitting on my intake tube instead of getting everything tig'd.

Last edited by KN_TL; 07-17-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
BANNED

Is welding the fittings to the valve covers the only way to go or can the covers be drilled/tapped and then use an NPT to AN fitting? Also thinking of using a fuel tank bulkhead fitting on my intake tube instead of getting everything tig'd.
I have done both.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

I have done both.
So I do this correctly......

Run the two valve covers to the catch can and it runs to the intake side of the turbo.

Run the brake booster to the intake side of the turbo.

All of the lines going to external MAP sensors (WMI, MS3 and Boost Gauge) and Blowoff Valve to the intake fitting?

What about the existing PCV valve and cross piping on the belt side?

Where would the check valve be placed that you mention?

Right now, all I have is a small air filter on the rear valve cover where I removed the hose that went from it to the intake. Everything else is in place and all of the vacuum lines are tied together along with the factory location for the brake booster hose.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Run the two valve covers to the catch can and it runs to the intake side of the turbo.

All of the lines going to external MAP sensors (WMI, MS3 and Boost Gauge) and Blowoff Valve to the intake fitting?

Right now, all I have is a small air filter on the rear valve cover where I removed the hose that went from it to the intake. Everything else is in place and all of the vacuum lines are tied together along with the factory location for the brake booster hose.

Thanks.
Brake booster must go to engine side of the throttle body, somewhere on the intake manifold. PCV to function correctly must go on the manifold. The only thing that will work pre-turbo is a fresh air source since there's no real vacuum there.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Brake booster must go to engine side of the throttle body, somewhere on the intake manifold. PCV to function correctly must go on the manifold. The only thing that will work pre-turbo is a fresh air source since there's no real vacuum there.
What is it that Paul is mentioning about isolating these things from boost?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

What is it that Paul is mentioning about isolating these things from boost?
Anything that requires vacuum to operate will require being plumbed into the intake manifold and will have to deal with boost. An additional check valve on the booster is never a bad idea.

You don't need PCV if you're willing to change the oil slightly sooner.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
BANNED

Thanks.
Thats the issue with turbo, with SC the throttle body goes on the inlet of the SC so you can get good sustained vacume. Brake booster evap and PCV all need to be behind the throttle body to get proper vacume under normal driving.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM
18psi

service manual says there is a check valve already built in to the brake booster vacuum hose
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM
BANNED

service manual says there is a check valve already built in to the brake booster vacuum hose
Yes, but it is just a piece of plastic and was not designed to see "pressure" from the mani, only vacume.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM
08 Type-S KBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am new to this thread. Anyone want to give me a quick rundown on the issues found so far with the turbo kit? I am planning on doing this when I reaturn from Afghanistan around January.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM
18psi

finally got my filter done. what a bitch it was. re-routing the main engine harness, dremel this, dremel that. 9" 45 off the turbo into 6" straight pipe, with a 9" amsoil dry filter

sneak peak
The following 2 users liked this post by libert69:
helmsrj (07-18-2012), Inaccurate (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Good $#!+ Libert, I can't wait to get mine done....I have a couple of surprises.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
08 Type-S KBP

So you are upgrading the internals? Are all of these items being made custom? Will they be available to others?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 16,262 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by helmsrj
So you are upgrading the internals? Are all of these items being made custom? Will they be available to others?
you're coming in here to ask questions.
while that is understandable, if you took 2 minutes to read the previous pages, you'll get an idea of whats being done...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM
08 Type-S KBP

I asked because I did not see the parts on BisiMoto's page. There is 140 pages in here so nope I have not quite read them all yet. It is still in progress.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Yes, but it is just a piece of plastic and was not designed to see "pressure" from the mani, only vacume.
Do you have a source for a better check valve?

Would it also be possible to get a diagram of how you plumb up everything?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
So I am new to this thread. Anyone want to give me a quick rundown on the issues found so far with the turbo kit? I am planning on doing this when I reaturn from Afghanistan around January.

None, car runs great. Very civilized in town and a monster when you open it up. The issue I see for you will be getting a kit since the guy who made them has fucked off his business, keeping anyone in their right mind from buying anything from him. One or two turbo kits might show up for sale in our used parts market called the black market, but the few who have them are not likely to give them up. That said, thank you for your service and I am happy to answer any questions you have either by private message or in a thread.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
None, car runs great. Very civilized in town and a monster when you open it up. The issue I see for you will be getting a kit since the guy who made them has fucked off his business, keeping anyone in their right mind from buying anything from him. One or two turbo kits might show up for sale in our used parts market called the black market, but the few who have them are not likely to give them up. That said, thank you for your service and I am happy to answer any questions you have either by private message or in a thread.
I had no idea there were problems with the business. Is there a thread where I can catch up? I can get most pieces at wholesale or at least very cheap. The only thing I can't do is the ECU.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I asked because I did not see the parts on BisiMoto's page. There is 140 pages in here so nope I have not quite read them all yet. It is still in progress.
I have a turbo kit for sale if you want on the black market. I switched to a M/T so I want to do redo everything. It's 480...

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08