QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the prototype harness today. I won't have time to install it until this weekend but I will let everyone know how it works.

Peripheral - are there instructions for installation. I know you said it hooks up through the trunk, but how is it installed?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont have the harness yet, but you'll have to start by removing the trunk liner (just passenger side should be fine). on the passenger side of the car there is the OEM SAT tuner, that's where you want to connect one end of the harness Peripheral sent you, i'm not sure if its an in-line or if its split, but you want to install it between the SAT tuner and the peripheral module. its your choice if you want to install the module behind the liner or not. if i were you I would not install the module behind the liner so that it cab be easily accessible to update firmware anytime. You can attach the module just about anywhere in the trunk (dependent on wire length) by using some velcro. once done installing that you connect the ipod cable to the module and route to the front of your car - either by going under the rear seat or around it. Now, you can just connect your ipod and you should be good to go!

i'm going to route the ipod cable through the rear-seat pass-through in case I need to troubleshoot or there are other issuses - essentially a temporary install. if everything works out perfectly, then I will do a more permanent install and either go around the seat (along the doors) or go under the rear seat (which would require removal of the seat).

I hope this helps
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Harness

I like Blue99 i also have an 08 TL S with NAV/SAT/and Traffic could i get on some sort of list to notify me what it is in production. Went to my local stereo/tint shop guy said that it worked with i pod but from what i read here it don't, maybe he has something different. either way how would it be packaged unit and cable or unit and depending on what you got a model specific cable. if so get the cable from you guys and then just get unit from him so he can install it too.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro

^ the current unit works with the TL, however there are issues with the XM/NavTraffic. To fix this issue Peripheral is developing a new harness that would solve each of the issues. He has sent out the harness to a few people of which only voidtrance has had a chance to try out - so far it has been a success. you can buy the module by itself, just make sure you get one with a firmware of .25 or higher. im not sure if Peripheral is improving the module at all (hardware wise), but the harness (if all goes well) will be released for the TLs with XM/NavTraffic. Currently, Peripheral had asked if people would be interested in a groupbuy for the new unit to see how much interest there is. I am not sure about pricing, but until all of the harnesses are tested and verified we probably won't see something official.

the install shouldn't be bad, i don't think you need to have somebody do it for you. if you are a DIY'er you should be fine, if you're not this is a good time to try. It's a good learning experience and you can become much more familiar with your car!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by playa4real
^ the current unit works with the TL, however there are issues with the XM/NavTraffic. To fix this issue Peripheral is developing a new harness that would solve each of the issues. He has sent out the harness to a few people of which only voidtrance has had a chance to try out - so far it has been a success. you can buy the module by itself, just make sure you get one with a firmware of .25 or higher. im not sure if Peripheral is improving the module at all (hardware wise), but the harness (if all goes well) will be released for the TLs with XM/NavTraffic. Currently, Peripheral had asked if people would be interested in a groupbuy for the new unit to see how much interest there is. I am not sure about pricing, but until all of the harnesses are tested and verified we probably won't see something official.

the install shouldn't be bad, i don't think you need to have somebody do it for you. if you are a DIY'er you should be fine, if you're not this is a good time to try. It's a good learning experience and you can become much more familiar with your car!

For sure would like to be added to group buy list, darn if possible get the control unit if possible too could package a combo for a good price. 08 TL S/Auto/WDP.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Peripheral - You can add me to the list for the harness and for extended cable to hook up HD radio unit.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro

Hey Peripheral, you got PM
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM
PXAMG GuRu

replied to PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey Peripheral any new news yet on the new kits and harness for the type s

Last edited by acura911; 10-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by acura911
hey Peripheral any new news yet on the new kits and harness for the type s
i got one of the development harnesses, i put it in yday, but I havent got it to work. I am currently working with Peripheral to get everything straightened out. As soon as I get it working i'll put up more info and a DIY.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Instructor

i got one of the development harnesses, i put it in yday, but I havent got it to work. I am currently working with Peripheral to get everything straightened out. As soon as I get it working i'll put up more info and a DIY.
please keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

I also received the new harness and it does not work! The unit will not switch between XM1, XM2, and AUX.

Here is a video of what is happening (sorry for the shaky vid):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...l+type+s&hl=en

Note: The software is updated to .26 and I turned dip switch 1 to on.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar thing going on with my modified harness (I'm doing my own experimentation). I don't have the test harness.
Try this: immediately after you turn your car on (as the navi is still loading), keep hitting the XM button until it changes to XM. And then, this part is a little tricky, as soon as you see it change to XM mode you have to turn the scroll wheel and change it to IPOD or AUX1 or AUX2 mode. This may resolve your problem, I hope.

So, my PXAMG and harness works but I don't have text. Also, I cannot leave my pxamg in SAT mode or it will lock me out (similar to what you are experiencing.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by osceola
I also received the new harness and it does not work! The unit will not switch between XM1, XM2, and AUX.

Here is a video of what is happening (sorry for the shaky vid):

Note: The software is updated to .26 and I turned dip switch 1 to on.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM
5th Gear

osceola....that sucks! hope playa4real has better luck working with peripheral. thanks for trying.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Pro

ok so here's an update.

Turns out some of the harnesses that peripheral had made were wired incorrectly. That was the issue with mine, so I sent it back to him - he should be fixing it and sending it back to me hopefully by the first week of November.

zepplin and osceola..

After updating the firmware or before connecting the peripheral module did you reset the module? I believe you need to reset it every time it is disconnected from the car. What you guys want to do is after disconnecting all wires that go to the module, open the module by removing the 2 screws and remove the circuit board. Look for a group of i believe 8 or 9 capacitors, one of them is larger than the rest (it has a + sign) - you want to short that capacitor. You can do this by just touching the 2 leads of the cap together with either a flat-head screwdriver or using some other sort of conductor. Put the circuit board back into the module, ensure dipswitch 1 is on the ON position and then reconnect all of the wires.

Next, put the ignition in the ON position and let the module initialize for about a minute (dont do anything with the radio). Turn the car off and then turn the key back into the ON position. Now you can play with the radio. Zepplin is right where the next part is tricky. Once you see the CH Name, you want to tune to IPOD using the knob opposite the volume knob. I found it easier to leave the radio on XM and then turn the ignition on/off (because there was a huge lag when I clicked on XM and the display wouldn't change until it was too late.) Took me a few tries but I was able to cycle to IPOD.

Try doing this and see if your guys harnesses work. You may also want to try resetting your ipod once connected and see if that does anything.

Osceola - is your ipod charging? if its not then the harness is def. the problem.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

The iPod is charging when it is plugged in.

To be honest though, I really don't feel comfortable shorting out the capacitor. Is there another way to reset it through my computer? I would have to get the okay from peripheral before I go this far!

As you can see from the video it makes the whole system sluggish and won't let me switch to xm1 or xm2.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor

You can also reset it by disconnecting the negative terminal of the car battery for 10 minutes.
My PXAMG has been working perfectly fine for the past week in my 08 TL navi system. But you just have to understand that the unit can get "stuck".
To get it unstuck, you have to get PXAMG into iPod mode with the instructions I've provided. I don't know if it will fix your particular problem but it worked for me.
The unit works great ... when it's working. I know it can be really frustrating.

Have you gotten the IPOD function to work once? I think once you get it initialized, it'll be smooth sailing.

The iPod is charging when it is plugged in.

To be honest though, I really don't feel comfortable shorting out the capacitor. Is there another way to reset it through my computer? I would have to get the okay from peripheral before I go this far!

As you can see from the video it makes the whole system sluggish and won't let me switch to xm1 or xm2.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro

Peripheral mentioned shorting the cap earlier in this thread so don't stress it. It's pretty easy, but yeah as Zepplin said you can remove the negative terminal of the battery for 10 minutes.

zepplin - i saw you're other thread when you first put it up - that's pretty cool how you got it to work. are you having any other issues with it?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM
5th Gear

Peripheral, I have a Acura TSX 06 with Navi.

Can I have the Harness that can be installed in the trunk?

Will the standard harness work in the trunk?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

peripheral guy has been gone for a while. Still, I love this thread.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Cruisin'

So I tried the suggestions from zeppelin77 and playa4real and no luck.

zepelin77 - I can get to the point where it xm is displayed but it just locks up and then automatically turns to aux. I don't get any ipod, aux1 or aux2 to come up.

playa4real - I tried resetting it twice and then tried zeppelin77's suggestion, again, no luck.

Peripheral - I need your help on this!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
peripheral guy has been gone for a while. Still, I love this thread.
he's around. i think he's just waiting for us to test out the harness before he starts giving us some real feedback in this thread.

off-topic - i saw you on slick.. i must say you got a taste in forums

So I tried the suggestions from zeppelin77 and playa4real and no luck.

zepelin77 - I can get to the point where it xm is displayed but it just locks up and then automatically turns to aux. I don't get any ipod, aux1 or aux2 to come up.

playa4real - I tried resetting it twice and then tried zeppelin77's suggestion, again, no luck.

Peripheral - I need your help on this!
i emailed you..check that out
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Peripheral mentioned shorting the cap earlier in this thread so don't stress it. It's pretty easy, but yeah as Zepplin said you can remove the negative terminal of the battery for 10 minutes.

zepplin - i saw you're other thread when you first put it up - that's pretty cool how you got it to work. are you having any other issues with it?

My only issues are:
-no text in IPOD mode
-I have to remember to leave the pxamg in IPOD, AUX1 or AUX2 when I leave the car or it will lock up when I return.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Pro

he's around. i think he's just waiting for us to test out the harness before he starts giving us some real feedback in this thread.

off-topic - i saw you on slick.. i must say you got a good taste in forums

i emailed you..check that out

^fixed
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Sorry guys, Some of the samples sent from China were not wired correctly. I made a mental note to fix them before they were sent out. Well that diodnt happen. Send em back and ill square them away.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peripheral
Sorry guys, Some of the samples sent from China were not wired correctly. I made a mental note to fix them before they were sent out. Well that diodnt happen. Send em back and ill square them away.
hey peripheral do you have any fixed harnes that you can send me so i can try it out.thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM
5th Gear

Hi Peripheral, Please see my post above, I have a TSX 06 with Navigation. I would like to have the Unit installed in the trunk. Can I get a Harness that can be installed in the trunk. Or the standard harness can be installed in the trunk also.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acura911
hey peripheral do you have any fixed harnes that you can send me so i can try it. out.thanks
I agree, I think more test subjects are needed.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

^fixed
Thanks. I use the same avatar everywhere because I'm too stupid to remember a new name or pw. If only sd would find a good deal on some peripheral stuff...
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
PXAMG GuRu

I sent out the only two test harnesses i had. The other one i need to keep here for testing. I was able to send Playa4Real's harness back out today after the modifications were made.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM
5th Gear

I sent out the only two test harnesses i had. The other one i need to keep here for testing. I was able to send Playa4Real's harness back out today after the modifications were made.

Peripheral, Please respond to my posts.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Pro

thanks

Originally Posted by tsx06_owner
Peripheral, Please respond to my posts.

Thanks
Peripheral is not currently selling the harness for the trunk. I and another members are testing them out for him. If they work properly, he'll start selling them. As you have an acura, the harness should work for you as well. If you do not use XM or NavTraffic, you can use the standard harness, but that plugs into the back of the HU and not the trunk
Old 10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
5th Gear

Thanks playa4real.
Thats exactly I understand and looks like will have to wait for this testing to finish. I feel very uncomfertable to remove the radio and prefer a clean install from the trunk. On TSX forums one thread showed how to add a backup camera and I created the small harness and it worked for me perfectly.
Thanks again and I will keep an eye on your test results and see how soon peripheral can sell a harness for installation in the trunk.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

In the mode where i want to control the Ipod from the Ipod, will the basic radio/steering wheel controls still work( like the volume and track +/-)
Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
5th Gear

Peripheral,
Any update on the status of the test harness? How soon can we see the new harness for acura in working and in production for sale?Periphiral are you testing the new cable ( installable in the trunk) for Acura TSX 2006?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 01:01 AM
6th Gear

Im also down for a group buy, as long as the the ipod text will show up along with xm nav traffic. Also, Peripheral, im located in Westchase in Tampa, i heard you were based in clearwater only a few minutes from my house. can i purchase this from your shop and have it installed there? also if you need a test car for your ipod harness, im down (08 tl type s). i hate not having an ipod link!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Well things are not looking good. The harnesses are back to the guys and there having complications. of course im there so i can only help so much. but ill try what i can. So far this harness has only helped one person and its one i installed in the vehicle. he still has nothing but good things to say about it.

hhmmmm....

No we are not testing it in a TSX. in the TSX it works behind the radio no need for a trunk harness. pull the pocket out from under the radio and your done. the plug is right there.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I just want you guys to know that Peripheral does not repair or backup their products. If you don't buy from a seller who will readily do exchanges, you cannot count on peripheral to help you out.

Cool device; shitty customer service.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Racer

[quote=Peripheral;10156769]Well things are not looking good. The harnesses are back to the guys and there having complications. of course im there so i can only help so much. but ill try what i can. So far this harness has only helped one person and its one i installed in the vehicle. he still has nothing but good things to say about it.

what seems to be the problem? are the new harnesses wired differently than the one you installed or have it been compared pin by pin to make sure there is no difference between them. Maybe it can be the way people are installing them,could there be some sequence that after the install that the system has to be powered up or settings on the Head Unit.....either way can"t wait till somebody figures this thing out. It works on just about every other vehicle except our TL's..
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Instructor

I sure hope the problems are figured out soon.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4