QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why the heck does this forum continue to stop emailing me about new posts even though I have it set to instant email notifications...

Pm sent to you peripheral. Also interested in group buy.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
add me to the group buy if there is one when the new kits come out;and if there is no group buy i will still buy one at full price as long as you guys fixed the lag.so now that you sent out the 2 new Harness what's next.when will you get more in stock.can you also take a pic of what the new Harness looks like so we can see how it hooks up.

Last edited by acura911; 10-02-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
6th Gear

on the pausing, every time I turn the system off it resets the ipod when I turn it back on. So that does no good since I have to navigate through the list again just to get back to the song I was listening too, much less the part of the song I was listening to.

It does that often when I turn the car off, too. Sometimes it will pick back up where I left off, sometimes it just resets to "IPOD CONNECTED" and I have to go through the music list again to select what I want to hear.

I don't know if it's a firmware issue or not or whether or not it can be addressed in future firmware updates. I checked the sticker and my firmware looked up to date. Maybe I should try reflashing it?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
What's the progress with this?

08 TL-S
Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
What's the progress with this?

08 TL-S

No idea, I haven't got much response from questions pm'd or emailed.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I want in on a group buy for a new unit, but I don't have anything special: 2005 TL...
Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
not sure what the progress of the GB is, but a new harness has been created for the 08 tl-s and is going to be tried out by a couple of members. i think the harness is installed at the SAT input in the trunk and not to the radio so hopefully this solves the lags and freezing. we'll find out soon enough.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by playa4real
not sure what the progress of the GB is, but a new harness has been created for the 08 tl-s and is going to be tried out by a couple of members. i think the harness is installed at the SAT input in the trunk and not to the radio so hopefully this solves the lags and freezing. we'll find out soon enough.

i thought that the firmware update already got rid of freeze/lag? I was under the impression that navtraffic systems wouldn't work at all with peripheral until the new harness was installed. Somebody summarize and also tell me how the new firmware is working because I have so far been too lazy to install it.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Just chiming in to say I'd be in for a group buy. Mainly for iPhone 3g charging.

-apnar
Old 10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Looks like "playa4real" and "osceola" will be receiving the cable next week. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peripheral
Looks like "playa4real" and "osceola" will be receiving the cable next week. Thanks for all the help.
when are you getting more cables in;and what's next?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Instructor

half a dozen replies I was not notified of... What's the trick to this forum?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
10th Gear

I bought the isimple from best buy and had them install it - assuming too much when I thought they were aware on how to do it correctly. They told me that they CANT have both XM and ipod working - and I'm not sure on the controls yet - but I need to bring them instructions on how to do this right... is there a place I can print out instructions for these guys? I have an 04 TL w/ navi -and I want it all - xm-ipod-on screen text for both... etc. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. (I wouldn't have gone to best buy - but I had a large gift card

Also - do I need to prchase any other peice for them to get it to work right? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
10th Gear

BTW - the isimple unit does not show info on songs - only "AUX1" and "Aux 2"

Did I get an old unit perhaps? I figure I bring the car back and tell them to remove it and figur it out from there - but the directions inside the box said on the sheet "Not compatible with TL w/ Navi"
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Ok since you ar ein AUX1 and AUX2 mode you will not be able to see artist/track info. you will need to switch mode to be able to see that. Also they should have installed the ipod cable which plugs into the bottom.

To switch modes exit the XM mode and re enter the XM mode (do this by pressinf the AM/FM button then the XM button). Within 6 seconds turn the tune knob and you should see the options. AUX1, AUX, and iPod. Once the screen displays "iPod" press preset number 6 or simply let it time out. You will then be able to browse and view artist/album information.

The guys at BBY must not have done many of them. They will need to leave the XM Tuner connected at the tuner and plug in the factory plug to our harness that they had to remove when they installed the new harness. once they do that they will need to reset the module (the procedure is noted in the previous pages. Then "SAT" will be an option in the mode menu.

Make sure you update the module unless the serial number on the side ends in .36 .
Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
10th Gear

it worked - - SAT was already an option - works nice - so glad I didn't have to go back. Not sure on the version but i won't try to fix what isn't broken - I appreciate it.

Ern
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
08 TL-S CBP

I haven't received notifications from this forum in a while and was suprised to see all this progress. I just have few questions: What does the .26 firmware update do and will this new harness disable XM from pushing text over ipod display?

THanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
5th Gear

I am a new owner of the canadian 2008 tl-s and have read this long thread. I am very keen to install the ipod interface which has been discussed as "incompatible with 08 tl-s". I enjoy listening to XM (wife demands she has one installed in her van now) and would like to ensure the XM function remains the same after installing the ipod + aux device. I plan on using the new aux for a dvd player being installed in the front storage compartment. The dvd video will be displayed on the navi display via video to nav converter.

How can I get myself on the group buy for the new harness by peripheral, assuming the tests are successful?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM
4th Gear

Im interested in group buy; but really only for Iphone 3g charging.
Peripheral any updates on that. 2005 tl
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Instructor

it's been a few weeks now, how is the harness working on tls models for the two lucky enough to get them?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ not sure about the other guy, but I havent received mine yet. Peripheral was saying that he would be sending them out at the beginning of this week. Not sure what the status is.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by playa4real
^^ not sure about the other guy, but I havent received mine yet. Peripheral was saying that he would be sending them out at the beginning of this week. Not sure what the status is.
ahh, I thought you would have received them last week.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

I have not received mine yet. I just gave him my address on Monday.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 PM
3GTLS

I have been using my PXAMG unit with the new harness for a couple of weeks now.
Here are the result about the two main issues:
1. My car is a 08 TLS with NavTraffic and XM enabled. With the new harness and firmware, I can use the PXAMG, NavTraffic and XM without problems. In fact, when you are using the NavTraffic and/or XM you can't even tell there is anything else plugged in.
2. I have not experienced any lag in the entire system - Navi and Audio. The only lag that I have seen is when the PXAMG updates the song names/titles. The song would start but it would take an additional second or two to update to the new info.

My experience with the unit in general:
Installation was pretty easy and it took me just about 10 mins (finding a place where to secure the unit is a bit more difficult as I wanted to be able to take it out for any firmware upgrades).
One thing I have to mention is that when you plug in the new harness at the SAT tuner, don't be surprised if your head unit does not have XM without the PXAMG plugged in. You need the PXAMG in the mix for the head unit to see the SAT tunner.
The interface is pretty nice and it is pretty easy to use. WARNING: It is very easy to get distracted while browsing for a song or an artist so I don't recommend you doing that while driving.
The unit displays the artist and song title at the appropriate places on the NAV screen but it does display the song time on the "Channel" line. The sound quality is great and I have not had any noise, buzzing, or anything of the sort.

I did experience a couple of minor issues with the unit about which I've talked to Peripheral and they are trying to reproduce/resolve them. None of these issues are anything that will prevent you from using your head unit or the PXAMG. If anyone is interested in more details, I can write something up.

In general, I am pretty happy with the unit!! It does all I want it to do and it works great.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
8th Gear

Thats great news!

Hey Peripheral, I have an 07 TLS, how can I get the new harness?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Any definitive answers on whether this will work on a Canadian 04 TL w/ NAVI and no XM? Even though we don't have an XM button, I've read that if you cycle through the different inputs via the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel, you are still able to get to the 'XM' input if you have something connected.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
aTL

2008 TL Navi...I WANT THIS... who is selling it... to be able to play and see the ipod through the navi screen almost brings tears to my eyes.
Next some one will tell me there is an update so that the radio station broadcast of songs artist and name will be visible as well...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by TL newbie
who is selling it...
Are you serious? Really? You found and read the thread and you still don't know who's selling this?
Peripheral Electronics

Originally Posted by TL newbie
Next some one will tell me there is an update so that the radio station broadcast of songs artist and name will be visible as well...
No amount of upgrades and gadgets will help you here if the radio station is not broadcasting the info
Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Advanced

WOW this thread has come a long way ... HOW CLOSE ARE we to charging future ipods and the current 3G iphone. Does the current hardware have a step down for the 12v to the new 5v deal apple is running with ?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
TLS LUVA

So I looked up the PXAMG info but it says that 2007-2008 TL/ TL S with nav is not compatible. Now I have 2008 Acura TL type S with NAV + XM and I am looking to get an ipod adapter which would allow me to keep XM text and be able to display Ipod text also. What are my options?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by blue99
So I looked up the PXAMG info but it says that 2007-2008 TL/ TL S with nav is not compatible. Now I have 2008 Acura TL type S with NAV + XM and I am looking to get an ipod adapter which would allow me to keep XM text and be able to display Ipod text also. What are my options?
I really hope that you read my post a bit further up *this* page.

Originally the unit wasn't compatible but Peripheral Electronics has been able to get it modified and working.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Peripheral has at least two harnesses in peoples cars being tested but I'm not sure how long before the rest of us can buy a harness or the kit with harness.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:03 PM
TLS LUVA

Thanks 'thrlride' and 'voidtrance' for your help. The question still remains unanswered though. @ voidtrance: would you suggest buying PXAMG or should I contact 'Peripheral' first and find out if they are sure it will work consistently in 08 TLS ?? I really want to get this but just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time n money. How much did you pay for installation ?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:20 PM
3GTLS

Thanks 'thrlride' and 'voidtrance' for your help. The question still remains unanswered though. @ voidtrance: would you suggest buying PXAMG or should I contact 'Peripheral' first and find out if they are sure it will work consistently in 08 TLS ?? I really want to get this but just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time n money. How much did you pay for installation ?
I don't doubt that the unit will work "consistently" in 08 models as there is nothing special about my car that would make it different.
I would hold off on ordering a unit yet as I am not sure whether Peripheral has the new harness in production yet. I would wait for Peripheral to announce the new unit/harness first. When I say "wait", I really mean "wait". I know that you can go buy the Dice or another unit right now but with the Peripheral you don't have to lose any of your existing audio options as with the others.

I didn't pay anything for the install as I did it myself. The hardest part was routing the iPod cable from the trunk to the center console and that took about 30 mins (that's including taking the back seat out).
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best place

newB here, just read the ending of thread long one. So i gues the Peripheral would be the best choice. Now where would be the best place to bad boys up along with the necessary updates and cables.. oh8 TL S.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
6th Gear

Hello Everyone,

I just got the PXAMG + PGHHD1 but I wasn't able to make it work yet. I have a 2008 TL-S and the iPOD Touch 2nd Gen. I am aware the PXAMG won't charge the iPOD but I was hoping that I would be able to control the iPOD thru the Radio/Steering wheel.

Before install the PXAMG I updated the firmware and disconnected the XM in the trunk but the Radio doens't find the PXAMG. From what I read here it should work.

Any ideas? I will try a different unit from a friend this week and confirm if my unit has any problem.

Peripheral - how can I get the new harness?

Voidtrance - Did you install the unit in the trunk? Is the connectors on the new harness compatible with the ones in the trunk. Please share more details about your installation.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by NEOSPO
I just got the PXAMG + PGHHD1 but I wasn't able to make it work yet. I have a 2008 TL-S and the iPOD Touch 2nd Gen. I am aware the PXAMG won't charge the iPOD but I was hoping that I would be able to control the iPOD thru the Radio/Steering wheel.
2nd gen should charge--at least I think you are using the same pin config as the original touch??? If it's the same as 3G iPhone then it won't charge. ALL iPods should be controllable. It sounds like you did something wrong or that your unit is dead.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 AM
TLS LUVA

Gb

I'm up for group buy. I've got an 08 TL-S with Nav/XM. @Peripheral Please let me know.
I appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Instructor

neospo,

You're waiting on the same harness as the rest of us. Hopefully the test harnesses will be finished soon and the can go in to production.

I have no idea about the second generation touch but I can only assume it will not charge like the rest of the line. If I'm not mistaken though, it will not lose charge while plugged up.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by NEOSPO
Voidtrance - Did you install the unit in the trunk? Is the connectors on the new harness compatible with the ones in the trunk. Please share more details about your installation.

Thanks
I've had several questions about how and where the unit is installed with the new harness. I did take a few pics and I can do a small write-up but I don't seem to be able to post attachements on this board.

In any case, the unit is installed in the trunk because the new harness requires you to connect the unit to the SAT tunner and *NOT* the head unit.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4