QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xen-cuts
Did you offer him a free unit or something? I mean, if the guy wants to use another unit he must have serious mental problems.
We offered him a free unit, T Shirt and CASH MONEY..... He finally gave in.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peripheral
Sounds like you did not disconnect the factory plug from the mix.
I wish that was the case. The HON-SC1 hooks where the XM plug is on the factory radio. I unplugged the XM plug and never plugged it back in. It is just hanging loose. I hooked the iSimple to the factory radio and the HON-SC1 to the iSimple and had no Sirius control. Just station 184 playing. Could not change channels and XM info actually shows on the radio. I even tried to hook the HON-SC1 to the factory radio first, then hook the iSimple to the HON-SC1. This worked but when switched to SAT, both the iPod and Sirius played.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
I wish that was the case. The HON-SC1 hooks where the XM plug is on the factory radio. I unplugged the XM plug and never plugged it back in. It is just hanging loose. I hooked the iSimple to the factory radio and the HON-SC1 to the iSimple and had no Sirius control. Just station 184 playing. Could not change channels and XM info actually shows on the radio. I even tried to hook the HON-SC1 to the factory radio first, then hook the iSimple to the HON-SC1. This worked but when switched to SAT, both the iPod and Sirius played.
IT should be hooked up like this......

OUR PXAMG hooked directly to the radio. Then the HONSC1 should be plugged in after that. Then nothing hooked to the input side of the HONSC1 Tee Harness.

You should then be able to work it. I know it works as i had a shop in Tarpon springs install the same stuff in that order.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

IT should be hooked up like this......

OUR PXAMG hooked directly to the radio. Then the HONSC1 should be plugged in after that. Then nothing hooked to the input side of the HONSC1 Tee Harness.

You should then be able to work it. I know it works as i had a shop in Tarpon springs install the same stuff in that order.
Exactly how I had it installed and it did not work for me. I could hear Sirius 184 playing but the screen still showed whatever XM channel cross references with 184. I could rotate the dial and the XM names would change but the radio would still be playing Sirius 184 and the radio would show whatever XM name I had gone to.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
Exactly how I had it installed and it did not work for me. I could hear Sirius 184 playing but the screen still showed whatever XM channel cross references with 184. I could rotate the dial and the XM names would change but the radio would still be playing Sirius 184 and the radio would show whatever XM name I had gone to.
If you were plugging and unplugging it may need to be reset. Anytime you install and the uninstall and the reinstall it it should be reset. Either leave it sit unplugged for ten minutes or short the cap which is described earlier in the thread. do you still have these modules? Ours and thiers??
Old 08-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

If you were plugging and unplugging it may need to be reset. Anytime you install and the uninstall and the reinstall it it should be reset. Either leave it sit unplugged for ten minutes or short the cap which is described earlier in the thread. do you still have these modules? Ours and thiers??
I returned the iSimple kit back to Best Buy. I am still using the HON-SC1 and it works perfectly by itself. I never did the "short the cap" but did let the unit sit for quite a while. Hooked up and not hooked up. Would I be better trying to get the PXAMG and harness rather than the iSimple kit or is it the exact same thing? I am not opposed to giving it another go if I can get support on it. I emailed your tech support department and was emailed that other than letting the unit sit for 5 minutes or so, there was not much more they could offer in support.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
PXAMG GuRu

im willing to bet we could get it working without a problem. The iSimple kit is the same as the PXAMG and PGHHD1 Harness except it has a Toyota harness in the package as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok. I am going to be in Tulsa tonight. I might be able to get by Best Buy and pick up another one and give it a go again. Couple of things I found in this thread from the person who got it to work on his 08 TL/S with navi. Should I disconnect the negative battery cable before installing? Also, he said he disconnected both plugs from the XM tuner located in the trunk. This I did not do. I only left the XM plug unconnected at the factory radio location.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
10th Gear

Thread Condensed

... after MANY pages of reading - finally through this thread.

much love to Peripheral for designing what looks to be the best ipod integration for the Acura we've seen. Of course there are gonna be issues out there... and I hope those who are having the issues do get them resolved. Seems like the rep from Peripheral is working on it and we should be patient. I'm sure it will make them, and their multiple users happy once the issues some are experiencing are resolved.

Freezing issue seems to be the most apparent and set-ups with the NEW 08-09 models with NAV Traffic are having some problems as well. (Please correct me if I'm wrong- after reading the 13 Pages_ -I don't know what the hell is going on anymore)

There was an interesting question I dont believe I saw the answer for.... and I've got a couple of my own.

Video? Wow - wouldn't that be great if we could get video capabilities through the NAV Screen? Saw some talk about Video - but no audio - but then I was lost in the other complaints... never saw a real answer. Any thoughts/ideas for us that might want video capabilities for the TL NAV Screen Peripheral?

iPhone 3G - As far as I can tell - I should wait for the next unit for the ability to Charge the 3G... correct? I have a 60 Gig ipod classic, but I'd like the ability to link that iphone too - and charge it. When might we see the iPhone charge ready unit?

I have been waiting a while for the "right" solution - this seems to be the best so far... I'll wait a little longer for the iPhone charge unit if I must - but I'm ITCHING to give Peripheral my money for one of these units....

ErnRen

PS... in an off the subject question - My wife has a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with the BOSE system... which is a wrench to any add on... does Peripheral SOMEHOW have an ipod unit that works with her system?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Instructor

patiently waiting for an answer to my 07 tls iPod needs.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Peripheral:

I picked up another iSimple kit last night and started to work on it this morning. Here are the things I have done so far with still no Sirius control and only playing channel 184.

1) Unhooked the HONSC1 from the back of the radio. Plugged the iSimple cable to the back of the radio. Hooked the HONSC1 go the iSimple cable. Left the factory XM plug unplugged and hanging loose. Plugged the iPod cable in to the gateway and in to the iPod. Plugged the iSimple cable in to the gateway. Results same as before. iPod works and complete control. When in SAT mode, radio shows XM stations and plays Sirius 184. I can switch stations on the radio but the sound does not change. It shows me switching between XM stations but still plays Sirius 184

2) Unhooked negative battery cable. Reset navi and radio with codes. No change. Does the same as above

3) Unplugged both connectors at factory XM tuner location in trunk. Radio went in to crawl mode and we not even let me get back to audio screen. Basically a lockout.

4) Plugged one XM tuner cable in at a time and now radio does not even play 184. iPod still works.

5) Unhooked cable at gateway. Unhooked negative battery cable. Plugged gateway cable back in. Hooked negative cable back up. Reset navi and radio codes. Radio plays 184 again and is currently in XM loading mode. iPod works like a charm. XM loading goes away and same result. Radio plays Sirius 184 when in SAT mode but display shows XM stations. I can turn the dial and go to any XM station I want but radio still plays just Sirius 184 and shows XM info.

What next??
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok we have a guy in our building who works for a different company who has a 07 type S. We approached him with the idea of being our guinea pig and testing for issues. He didn’t want to due to the fact he spent $200 on a different adapter which only give him limited functionality. He did how ever hook us up with one of his buddies who has an 05 TL w/ Navi. We installed it into the 05 and had no issues. We left it in there and hopefully we will see the lag issue so that we can address the issues. Unfortunately we can’t fix what we don’t see. So now we wait.

But the guy with the TL Type-S did see the functionality of our unit and may want ours. If so we may be able to kill two birds with one stone. Sorry this is taking as long as it is but I'm trying my hardest to get these issues worked out.

I got a couple of PM’s about the iPhone 3G and its charging. Unfortunately the board and cable need to be modified for the phone to work. After doing some thinking I'm pretty sure how we are going to address this and hopefully will be fixed within the next couple of months.

Thanks,

TT.

pretty sweet. ive been dying to buy one of these, but i dont want any issues with my car (08 tl-s don't use the XM)..im glad u can finally get on it. hopefully the new release will be soon!

thanks for all of ur help!!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Just a couple more notes:

jimenezlee mentions unplugging both connectors at the XM tuner. If I do this, my radio is pretty much non working. The navi crawls and it will not even switch to audio mode. He also mentions the screen "fighting"between XM and iPod. Mine does this as well. I can rotate the dial to go thru the options but half a second later, it goes back to the XM name. Not a big deal but would take some getting used to. Right now I am letting the gateway sit for a while to see if it will reset itself and then try again.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by ErnRenner
PS... in an off the subject question - My wife has a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with the BOSE system... which is a wrench to any add on... does Peripheral SOMEHOW have an ipod unit that works with her system?
We make a generation one ipod adapter for that vehicle. Visit our website. www.peripheralelectronics.com and put your vehicle in the drop down box it will show you all that we offer for that vehicle.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

And the iPhone?

This version WORKS with the 3G iPhone - just doesn't charge... correct?

Working on a 3G compatible one too, timeframe?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
PXAMG GuRu

This version works with the 3G but doesnt charge. The fix should be available for both parts at the same time. Shouldn't be to long. The adapter mentioned above will allow it to charge.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

More trial and no fixes yet. Tried the reverse order again. Hooked up the HON-SC1 to the factory radio and then the iSimple to the HON-SC1. Sirius and iPod both function but when you switch to iPod you can still hear Sirius. That is as close as I have been able to get to getting both sources to play.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
PXAMG GuRu

The reason that is is that we interupt the audio and pipe the ipod in. If the HONSC1 is before our adapte it will do that. Have you tried shorting the CAP? let me know if not.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I have not tried that yet. I will try it per the instructions a few pages back?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

The gateway has been sitting not hooked up for at least an hour. Took the unit apart and did the hard reset. Hooked the iPod cable back to the gateway. Hooked the main cable to the gateway and turned on the car. No change. Exact same thing.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
PXAMG GuRu

hopefully jimenezlee will chime in and let us know what we are doing wrong. I called my buddy who works at a local shop to see how he did it but no answer.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I would hope so but he has not been on the board in over a month. Could be a return trip to Best Buy.

Kinda odd though. Your adapter does what it is suppose to in allowing the iPod to work. The trouble is it will not let the HON-SC1 and Sirius tuner pass thru to the radio like it does without the gateway.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
PXAMG GuRu

OK SO.....

With the new harness which will be available in a couple months and a software change we were able to get the 2007 TL TYPE S to work flawlessly.... now we only tested it for today but it was left in the vehicle. He is going to let us know if anything changes.

I need someone to PM me or email me tony.tassillo@aampofamerica.com if you currently have our module in your TL without nav traffic and have the delay issues. I want to send this firmware to you so you can program it and see if it has any impact on your vehicle. We made some changes to hopefully rid the delay. Let me know.

BTW. As soon as some sample harnesses become available i will send them out to people who want to install this in thier vehicle. You will need to buy the module but i will provide the harness and instructions for installation at the SAT tuner fot hose with the Type-S.

Thanks,
TT
Old 08-16-2008, 12:40 AM
10th Gear

This version works with the 3G but doesnt charge. The fix should be available for both parts at the same time. Shouldn't be to long. The adapter mentioned above will allow it to charge.
I'm not sure of the answer... can I buy the Current unit for my TL and Add the updated pieces later for 3G iPhone charging? Sorry- I don't understand the answer you gave...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Ern,

If you buy the PXAMG for your TL the control portion of the module will work. It just will not charge. Apage or so agao a small adapter which is plug-n-play for the end of the docking cable will then allow chraging for the 3G.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 PM
10th Gear

Thank you... sorry for bugging you about it - I am easily confused
Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
10th Gear

Peripheral,

Found the accessory... $40 seems a bit steep (not to mention waiting til' end of Aug or Sept for the piece. I can wait for your updated product - or - if this pice will also will charge a 5th gen ipod - I my have to fork over the extra $40

I know it's not your accessory - but do you think that accessory will be able to be "left on" and still charge my ipod (5th gen) or will it need to come off and on?

You said that your company was working on a fix for the 3G iPhone... are you looking at a fix that converts power to work only on 3G iPhone OR will it charge both?

I don't mean to be a pain in the ARS -- but I really am sick of my FM Transmitter... REALLY sick of it
Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
PXAMG GuRu

All ipods / iphones have charged Via 5v (USB) and 12v (firewire) until recently. They have done away with the 12v charging on the iphone 3G and went strictly with 5v which they will probably do on all future ipods from this point foward. Since passing 12v through for charging is alot easier and cheaper than using a step down to step down the voltage from 12v to 5v we decided to use that route. just about all manufacturers did as we did and used 12 v. Now we need to change our product to use 5v which will allow all ipods/phones to include the new 3G to charge. Hope this is a little more clear. also the 5v lead is on a differient pin than the 12v pin in the 30 pin docking connector.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Cruisin'

OK SO.....

BTW. As soon as some sample harnesses become available i will send them out to people who want to install this in thier vehicle. You will need to buy the module but i will provide the harness and instructions for installation at the SAT tuner fot hose with the Type-S.

Thanks,
TT
I am more than willing to test the the sample. I have been waiting for a few months now for the TL-S fix! Should I send you an e-mail?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Sure. ill flag it and when we get the new samples you can drive over if you wish and we'll put it in for ya. that way if you have issues we can address them at our office.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Great. Just let me know and I will drive over.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

iPod TOUCH: does anyone use their ipod touch with this? just wondering if the audio plays when watching a video. also, does it play when on youtube (in a hot spot of course)?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by osceola
Great. Just let me know and I will drive over.
Keep us up to date on how it works with the TypeS! I would be happy to test as well, but if you're close to them, it makes much more sense for you! Im sick of my DICE unit not working!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Peripheral - I'll take a sample harness and install in my car. I have a 2007 TL-S. Just let me know what we need to do to set this up when you are ready.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Making the mighty dollar

Peripheral - i went to have mine installed this past weekend in a 05 Acura TL with navi at best buy and they couldn't get it to work. It would charge but would not connect. They couldn't figure it out so they took it back out and told me to return it. They said of the many they put in about 3% percent actually work and the others they evidentually have to take back out. What can i do.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by 3gLT
Peripheral - i went to have mine installed this past weekend in a 05 Acura TL with navi at best buy and they couldn't get it to work. It would charge but would not connect. They couldn't figure it out so they took it back out and told me to return it. They said of the many they put in about 3% percent actually work and the others they evidentually have to take back out. What can i do.
Not sure if its a matter of a bad interface or lack of knowing whats going on. I find alot of these guys at BB as i go in there as a customer and ask them about this piece. I once had a guy tell me that the ISFD73 (gateway for Ford) would work in my vehicle eve if i had a after market Pioneer AVIC-Z3.

Do the guys actually sound and/or look like they know what they are doing? If not, I would honestly go somewhere else where the guys actually know what they're doing.

How as a company could we release this module with a 97% failure rate... we couldnt and still stay in business. Just sayin.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hey peripheral, any word on the lag and freezing issues? any new hardware or firmware coming out soon?

hopefully its out very soon, im sick of using the auxillary jack...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
4th Gear

2005 rl?

OK SO.....

With the new harness which will be available in a couple months and a software change we were able to get the 2007 TL TYPE S to work flawlessly.... now we only tested it for today but it was left in the vehicle. He is going to let us know if anything changes.

I need someone to PM me or email me tony.tassillo@aampofamerica.com if you currently have our module in your TL without nav traffic and have the delay issues. I want to send this firmware to you so you can program it and see if it has any impact on your vehicle. We made some changes to hopefully rid the delay. Let me know.

Thanks,
TT

Peripheral TT,

I bought the isimple version ISIM71 with the Acura harness in the box. I could not get this to work with my 2005 Acrua RL. I have the NAV with traffic, XM, and XM traffic(not subscribed though). I would like to use the PXAMG with this car and keep just the XM(music) and still use the bluetooth part of the system. I did a search and found nothing on the RL forum but found this thread here on the TL forum. I read the entire thread and it seems the TL typeS system is like the RL system. Is this true? Will it work in the RL with the new harness and software update? I would be willing to try for you. I could send you the old harness in exchange for the new harness. Let me know so I can still return the adapter within the exchange period.

Craig
Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
7th Gear

I have a couple of questions--point me to the post if these have been answered already in this thread:

Does the Peripheral Electronics unit allow the ipod to be controlled from the ipod's interface as well?

Did anyone confirm whether the PE unit pauses the ipod when using the HFL?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Back w/ WDP RDX

Originally Posted by sawzalot
I have a couple of questions--point me to the post if these have been answered already in this thread:

Does the Peripheral Electronics unit allow the ipod to be controlled from the ipod's interface as well?

Did anyone confirm whether the PE unit pauses the ipod when using the HFL?

Thanks,

Tom
after watching the video of the unit it is confirmed that the ipod CAN be controlled from the ipod AND the dash/wheel controls. we are also told that it will pause when a call is received. i just received delivery of my unit but i can't install it until i get my head unit replaced (CD track resets to track 1 when i start the engine)

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4