QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get the

Originally Posted by cmt1
I hear the neckpain... who ever would have thought adding an ipod would be such an issue. I've got an 08 TL-S (nav traffic), so I'll use the mp3 interface for a while (until this get sorted out). That and I've made about 5 DVD audio disks using Adobemans GUI (all dual layer).

Dude, where did you get the DVD audio software? What was your source for the DVD-A? (meaning, where did you get HD music to put ON the DVD-A)?d
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TulsaTL6
Dude, where did you get the DVD audio software? What was your source for the DVD-A? (meaning, where did you get HD music to put ON the DVD-A)?d
Here is a link, this has everything you need to make a DVDA.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133281

Love the fact that i can have so much music on one disk.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelTL05
When do you think this next run of hardware will be available?

Also, really appreciate you being on board, listening to concerns and working to get things fixed
yeah im interested as well. im looking to pull the trigger, but i dont mind waiting for the new release given that its not a long ways away
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 AM
PXAMG GuRu

When do you think this next run of hardware will be available?
The rework is being designed right now. We then send off for a sample, and provided its to spec we order them. It will probably be a few months from now. i will announce when its available. We do all of our hardware design in-house

Also, really appreciate you being on board, listening to concerns and working to get things fixed
No problem, I try to help all end users as i used to be one The wheels turn but unfortunately they dont turn as fast as i would like them too. Thanks to those of you that have given us the time to fix issues that we didnt see durring development.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Peripheral
The rework is being designed right now. We then send off for a sample, and provided its to spec we order them. It will probably be a few months from now. i will announce when its available. We do all of our hardware design in-house

No problem, I try to help all end users as i used to be one The wheels turn but unfortunately they dont turn as fast as i would like them too. Thanks to those of you that have given us the time to fix issues that we didnt see durring development.
Will the rework be compatible with 2007-2008 Acura TL / TL Type-S equipped with nav. traffic?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM
5th Gear

Once the update/rework is done.... any way we can order directly? Or work out some quantity discount for the group?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey Peripheral any update's yet on the lag on the 07-08 tl maybe before the 2009 tl come's out;or is the car going to come out before the update.haha
Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Not sure if this has already been asked, but I want to use my ipod video to display video on my navi screen. All other aux input options will disable XM. Can I use the aux input of this unit along with the DOM's unit to allow both video and audio while still maintaining the factory XM?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by acura911
hey Peripheral any update's yet on the lag on the 07-08 tl maybe before the 2009 tl come's out;or is the car going to come out before the update.haha
We are currently testing a fix right now. once we are certian it fixes the issues it will be offered here first.

Not sure if this has already been asked, but I want to use my ipod video to display video on my navi screen. All other aux input options will disable XM. Can I use the aux input of this unit along with the DOM's unit to allow both video and audio while still maintaining the factory XM?
Yes you can.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced

OK, so I have the Peripheral installed and have used it for 2 months now and LOVE it. However, I bought the Iphone 3g yesterday and when I plug in the cable it works perfectly, but will not charge. Any solutions for that problem?

Also, where can I get this DOM unit
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

OK, so I have the Peripheral installed and have used it for 2 months now and LOVE it. However, I bought the Iphone 3g yesterday and when I plug in the cable it works perfectly, but will not charge. Any solutions for that problem?

Dom is in the black market area of azine.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
9th Gear

Subscribing to see the answer to this question.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

bump!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Peripheral , on post 317 you were trying it on a rl, did it work?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a problem I've been experiencing with this unit.
Vehicle is a 2006 TL w/NAV, automatic.

Unit worked fine for the first three weeks. No problems at all.

Sometimes the unit works ok now. When it does work sometimes it's 100% other times it plays but just shows IPOD as the text.

Most of the time it doesn't work at all.
It freezes my radio. Buttons don't work almost at all. If they do they are very lagged. SAT/iPOD can't be accessed. I've tried using different iPods as well, no luck. This happens even when the iPod isn't connected. It's actually been non stop like this for 4 days now. Shutting off the car/radio has no effect.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RuMIROCZ
Here is a problem I've been experiencing with this unit.
Vehicle is a 2006 TL w/NAV, automatic.

Unit worked fine for the first three weeks. No problems at all.

Sometimes the unit works ok now. When it does work sometimes it's 100% other times it plays but just shows IPOD as the text.

Most of the time it doesn't work at all.
It freezes my radio. Buttons don't work almost at all. If they do they are very lagged. SAT/iPOD can't be accessed. I've tried using different iPods as well, no luck. This happens even when the iPod isn't connected. It's actually been non stop like this for 4 days now. Shutting off the car/radio has no effect.
You might read back through this thread, I think we discovered that the problem was due to having an older version of the firmware. You might try taking the unit out, hooking it up to your computer and running the updater. All of which is described in previous posts. Just an ida.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
How about this unit with text? Legit?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
According to the eBay site, this unit is not compatible with Nav systems that have NavTraffic.
I might be confusing issues here but I don't see how this unit would be compatible with 2008 TLs since it seems that 2008s have different harness for the NavTraffic.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
I just got this unit installed yesterday

The thing freezes my entire radio...
You can't even turn it off and it takes about 10 second to work
Is anyone sure that the firmware upgrade will fix this and if so where do i download it?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hey peripheral - any updates on the new firmware?

Originally Posted by lucnex
I just got this unit installed yesterday

The thing freezes my entire radio...
You can't even turn it off and it takes about 10 second to work
Is anyone sure that the firmware upgrade will fix this and if so where do i download it?
read back through this thread people have solved it by updating the firmware
Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by playa4real
hey peripheral - any updates on the new firmware?
read back through this thread people have solved it by updating the firmware
it "mostly" fixes the problem. The radio still freezes sometimes.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by lucnex
so where do i download it?
I guess you probably figured this out (because it's in the instruction manual) but you need to just go to peripheral's website. Here is the current linky for updates: http://peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/index.asp

I wish the Peripheral guy would get back to us on the iPhone 3G.... I want to get one, but I don't want to lose functionality in my car!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I guess you probably figured this out (because it's in the instruction manual) but you need to just go to peripheral's website. Here is the current linky for updates: http://peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/index.asp

I wish the Peripheral guy would get back to us on the iPhone 3G.... I want to get one, but I don't want to lose functionality in my car!
As far as functionality, the 3g works with the Peripheral perfectly, it just does not charge. It's true for many external devices that worked with Iphone & Ipods in the past, they won't charge the 3g.

Peripheral, if you do come back, can you tell me whether you could hook a second Ipod cable up to the Aux 2 channel and run an Ipod on aux1 and an Iphone on Aux 2, assuming you develop something to make it charge?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

I have an '08 TL with Nav. I just bought this unit from Best Buy (where it's sold as the iSimple ISIM71). My problem is that the audio/Nav system doesn't even recognize that the unit is connected. XM and Nav work normally, but there's no indication that the car even detects the presence of the unit. It charges my iPod, but that's about all it seems to do; I can access the iPod's menus and controls just as if it was simply plugged into the wall. Playing a track using the iPod's controls has no effect on the TL's audio system.

I tried upgrading the ISIM71's firmware, but that led to another bizarre kink; although the unit is labeled as having the .15 version; when I tried to upgrade to .25, it told me (essentially) that the firmware version I'm trying to upload is the same as the one that's already on the unit. This doesn't seem right, since (according to the USB firmware tool) both of them are dated 2/29/08, and (according to Peripheral's firmware website) the .25 version was rolled out on 4/8/08. I'm not sure if the file on Peripheral's site is mislabeled or if this is due to a problem with the unit, but it's pretty weird.

In any event, I'll call their tech support department on Monday, but in the mean time, has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it possible that the Nav Traffic feature makes the unit completely incompatible with the '08 TL w/ Nav?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Just talked to guys at local Best Buy store - what idiots. The manufacturer states it works with 2005 Acura TL w/NAVI (which I have), but Best Buy state on their website that it doesn't. WHo to believe. And I don't have the time to spend installing the product myself. So to those that have the 2005 TL w/NAVI, have you had success with this product? Or should I look elsewhere for a viable solution?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FrankMurphy
I have an '08 TL with Nav. I just bought this unit from Best Buy (where it's sold as the iSimple ISIM71). My problem is that the audio/Nav system doesn't even recognize that the unit is connected. XM and Nav work normally, but there's no indication that the car even detects the presence of the unit. It charges my iPod, but that's about all it seems to do; I can access the iPod's menus and controls just as if it was simply plugged into the wall. Playing a track using the iPod's controls has no effect on the TL's audio system.

I tried upgrading the ISIM71's firmware, but that led to another bizarre kink; although the unit is labeled as having the .15 version; when I tried to upgrade to .25, it told me (essentially) that the firmware version I'm trying to upload is the same as the one that's already on the unit. This doesn't seem right, since (according to the USB firmware tool) both of them are dated 2/29/08, and (according to Peripheral's firmware website) the .25 version was rolled out on 4/8/08. I'm not sure if the file on Peripheral's site is mislabeled or if this is due to a problem with the unit, but it's pretty weird.

In any event, I'll call their tech support department on Monday, but in the mean time, has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it possible that the Nav Traffic feature makes the unit completely incompatible with the '08 TL w/ Nav?
Okay, so I just spent the past hour or so reading through the entire thread and found answers to many of my questions.

Firmware: apparently the .15 firmware is the same as the .25 firmware. The .25 version is for recently-manufactured units that can be programmed via USB without having to connect to an external power source. Aside from that, the software is the same (right, Peripheral guy?), which would explain why I was getting the "Firmware already programmed" message.

Detection: resetting my iPod caused the unit to freeze the car's audio system, freeze the Nav touchscreen, prevent me from accessing the audio system, or freeze both the audio system and the touchscreen. Unplugging XM from the harness solves the freezing issues, but doesn't get the unit to work (and obviously disables XM). it appears that the NavTraffic feature renders this unit completely incompatible with 2007/2008 TLs w/ Nav. I saw the note on Peripheral's website about 2007/2008 TLs w/ NavTraffic, but I thought this meant that the unit simply disabled the NavTraffic feature (which wasn't a big deal to me, since I never use it anyway). However, from reading prior posts in this thread, it seems as if the '07/08 TL navigation systems are wired differently due to NavTraffic. Poster jiminezlee (who posted a YouTube video of the PXAMG in action on his '08 Type-S w/ Nav) was able to get his unit to work by swapping the XM tuner for a Sirius one. Unfortunately, those of us who have an '07/'08 TL w/ Nav and want to keep our XM are likely SOL for the moment.

Peripheral guy - you mentioned in your post above two weeks ago that you're currently testing a fix. What's the status of that ?

(thanks for helping us out, BTW)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigman606
Just talked to guys at local Best Buy store - what idiots. The manufacturer states it works with 2005 Acura TL w/NAVI (which I have), but Best Buy state on their website that it doesn't. WHo to believe. And I don't have the time to spend installing the product myself. So to those that have the 2005 TL w/NAVI, have you had success with this product? Or should I look elsewhere for a viable solution?

I have 05 TL with Nav and have it installed and working perfectly.
Best Buy probably picked up the Peripheral unit before they certified it to work with Navi equipped TLs.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear

Update

Peripheral Guy... please help.

It seems like 07/08 TL owners are SOL. How did that YOUTUBE guy with a 08 TL-S get his to work without any issues? I wonder if his unit is still working properly...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by AcuraBoyNC

It seems like 07/08 TL owners are SOL. How did that YOUTUBE guy with a 08 TL-S get his to work without any issues? I wonder if his unit is still working properly...

If you read this thread (actually just a few posts back) you'll find out that they are working on a new hardware that is supposed to fix the unit for 07/08 TLs. As Peripheral mentions in his post, it will take a month or two.

I am sure that when the units are ready, Peripheral will be more then happy to let us know.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraBoyNC

See my post above. He got it to work by swapping his XM tuner for a Sirius tuner (which he was apparently planning on doing anyway). So those of us who have an 07/08 TL w/ Nav and want to keep our XM are indeed SOL for the moment.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Guys,

Ok heres the deal. I've been dong everything in my power to get these issue resolved. I tried sending a unit to a member on this forum with a reverse harness which plugs in at the sat tuner just to find out that the connectors are differient. He was very helpfull and took pictures and i sent them to a few of our vehdors in china and one of them had the 20 pin black connector which i recieved today. I am going to make a Mock up harness for the guy and have him install it at the SAT tuner to see if i can get all the issues resolved with NAV TRAFFIC.

As for the guys with the TL's with nav or non nav who are experiencing a freeze or lag.... We were able to visit the local Lexus dealer and test in a few of thier used Acuras that they had on the lot. We got into a 2005 TL w/o nav and a 2007 RDX with nav and nav traffic. The TL seemed to work fine and i never saw the lag issue unfortunately i can leave the module in the car for extended ammount of time but we did test in that vehicle. As for the RDX i found that for some reason when our interface was installed the NAV traffic no longer worked and it put the XM into preview mode. Not sure why but we are going to do more research on this.

The iPhone 3G will not charge with our module as it no longer accepts 12v charging only 5v charging which is supplied on a differient pin of the docking connector and will be implemented in our next run of hardware.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys,

Ok heres the deal. I've been dong everything in my power to get these issue resolved. I tried sending a unit to a member on this forum with a reverse harness which plugs in at the sat tuner just to find out that the connectors are differient. He was very helpfull and took pictures and i sent them to a few of our vehdors in china and one of them had the 20 pin black connector which i recieved today. I am going to make a Mock up harness for the guy and have him install it at the SAT tuner to see if i can get all the issues resolved with NAV TRAFFIC.

As for the guys with the TL's with nav or non nav who are experiencing a freeze or lag.... We were able to visit the local Lexus dealer and test in a few of thier used Acuras that they had on the lot. We got into a 2005 TL w/o nav and a 2007 RDX with nav and nav traffic. The TL seemed to work fine and i never saw the lag issue unfortunately i can leave the module in the car for extended ammount of time but we did test in that vehicle. As for the RDX i found that for some reason when our interface was installed the NAV traffic no longer worked and it put the XM into preview mode. Not sure why but we are going to do more research on this.

The iPhone 3G will not charge with our module as it no longer accepts 12v charging only 5v charging which is supplied on a differient pin of the docking connector and will be implemented in our next run of hardware.
when do you think you will get it to work in the 07/08 tl with nav and have no lag.i've been waiting forever for you to fix this i have the 150 set a side to buy it when you get it to work with out the lag.i had one back in may but had to return it because the bad lag.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear

Peripheral,

Thanks for your efforts. However, your assessment that the unit works well in the TL is not quite correct. I have a 04 non/nav TL and have tried two different units in it and the lag was present with both of them. Both units had the latest firmware. Your assistance in resolving this issue would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Instructor

I'm waiting for the unit to be ready in an 07 type-s as well. If I can offer any assistance I'd be more than willing...
Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Ok we have a guy in our building who works for a different company who has a 07 type S. We approached him with the idea of being our guinea pig and testing for issues. He didn’t want to due to the fact he spent $200 on a different adapter which only give him limited functionality. He did how ever hook us up with one of his buddies who has an 05 TL w/ Navi. We installed it into the 05 and had no issues. We left it in there and hopefully we will see the lag issue so that we can address the issues. Unfortunately we can’t fix what we don’t see. So now we wait.

But the guy with the TL Type-S did see the functionality of our unit and may want ours. If so we may be able to kill two birds with one stone. Sorry this is taking as long as it is but I'm trying my hardest to get these issues worked out.

I got a couple of PM’s about the iPhone 3G and its charging. Unfortunately the board and cable need to be modified for the phone to work. After doing some thinking I'm pretty sure how we are going to address this and hopefully will be fixed within the next couple of months.

Thanks,

TT.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I posted in another thread but in my 2008 TL with navi, I could not get the unit to work. I could get the iPod to work but, I could not get access to the Sirius tuner. I replaced the XM tuner with a Sirius tuner using the HON-SC1. The iPod works great but, all I get when I switch back to Sat. is Sirius 184. I have no control over the tuner and can not switch stations or anything. I know one person on here says they got it work after replacing the XM tuner for Sirius but, he has not been on in a while and has not responded. I ended up returning the iSimple kit after trying my best to get it to work.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick question: Is the PXAMG kit different than the iSimple kit? I watched the video of the person who had it working in the 08 TL-S and mine did not work that smooth nor did it allow me to access Sirius. Are there any differences that might allow the PXAMG kit to work since I switched to the Sirius tuner?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Did you offer him a free unit or something? I mean, if the guy wants to use another unit he must have serious mental problems.

Ok we have a guy in our building who works for a different company who has a 07 type S. We approached him with the idea of being our guinea pig and testing for issues. He didn’t want to due to the fact he spent $200 on a different adapter which only give him limited functionality. He did how ever hook us up with one of his buddies who has an 05 TL w/ Navi. We installed it into the 05 and had no issues. We left it in there and hopefully we will see the lag issue so that we can address the issues. Unfortunately we can’t fix what we don’t see. So now we wait.

But the guy with the TL Type-S did see the functionality of our unit and may want ours. If so we may be able to kill two birds with one stone. Sorry this is taking as long as it is but I'm trying my hardest to get these issues worked out.

I got a couple of PM’s about the iPhone 3G and its charging. Unfortunately the board and cable need to be modified for the phone to work. After doing some thinking I'm pretty sure how we are going to address this and hopefully will be fixed within the next couple of months.

Thanks,

TT.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Instructor

after my XM expired for about a month, I no longer have the lag issue with my unit. I presume the lag issue has to do with switching around the XM1 and 2 channels.

For the ones who has an iphone 3g, i suggest you purchase a $40 adapter:
http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connipod.htm
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
I posted in another thread but in my 2008 TL with navi, I could not get the unit to work. I could get the iPod to work but, I could not get access to the Sirius tuner. I replaced the XM tuner with a Sirius tuner using the HON-SC1. The iPod works great but, all I get when I switch back to Sat. is Sirius 184. I have no control over the tuner and can not switch stations or anything. I know one person on here says they got it work after replacing the XM tuner for Sirius but, he has not been on in a while and has not responded. I ended up returning the iSimple kit after trying my best to get it to work.
Sounds like you did not disconnect the factory plug from the mix.

We are currently in a 2007 Acura TL Type S (yes the guy in our building) and we are seeing the issues with the lag. We couldnt even get our unit to work. The radio portion wouldnt function properly and the audio button when pressed would not show the audio screen. We found out the the data line cross paths somewhere in the mix and that is why the slow lag (alot of errors generated on the bus due to this). We are looking into an option to install it at the SAT tuner in the trunk. So far it looks promising. Ill keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4