QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you tell the firmware version?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Both. Tried myself and then I had Car Toys install it. I think this problem is limited to 2008 Navi's, nothing widespread so far from what I can tell.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey YanN1ck what number did you call and who did you talk to in tech?what time are you going to call so i can call too
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by YanN1ck
Both. Tried myself and then I had Car Toys install it. I think this problem is limited to 2008 Navi's, nothing widespread so far from what I can tell.
i have a 2007 with nav
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
How do you tell the firmware version?
You need to look at actual unit at the serial number, look at last part where the last two digits after period indicate firmware version.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by acura911
hey YanN1ck what number did you call and who did you talk to in tech?what time are you going to call so i can call too
I have called Ph. 800-477-2267 ext. 230 I will call them tomorrow around 10 CST unless there is some emergency in office
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Damn you guys for talking me into this. More money gone!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Pro

hey dhasselbacher do you know what firmware you have is it .24 or .25 thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

hey dhasselbacher do you know what firmware you have is it .24 or .25 thanks
Funny you ask about firmware version! I just started having some problems with the unit over the weekend on my 05 Navi. I would turn the car on and would not have any radio function - no XM, no AM/FM, no ipod but the Nav would work just fine. If I leave it alone for a while and hit the radio power knob it comes on and everything is fine. It is not doing it everytime, but when it does it's like the radio freezes up and has no functionality during that period.

I figured I would checkout the Peripheral site for firmware updates and instructions. I noticed they had a recent update posted as of 4/8/08 that says it addresses issues with Honda/Acura along with some other models. I downloaded the files and the update says .25. I checked my unit and the sticker said xxxxx.25 but I tried to hookup and flash anyway. I couldn't even get the unit to communicate via USB hookup to my laptop so I couldn't do the update. I'm sure it wouldn't do anything anyway since it looks like my unit had the latest installed but it's usually worth a try.

Those of you who have updated the firmware - do you have to have the ignition turned to accessory or have the car running in order for the unit to connect via USB? Any thoughts there?

Thanks.

P.S. When it works the sound is excellent coming from the ipod
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
Those of you who have updated the firmware - do you have to have the ignition turned to accessory or have the car running in order for the unit to connect via USB? Any thoughts there?
I didn't even have the key in the ignition when I updated mine. Just make sure the black harness is attached to give it power.

Download the two files from the firmware update page and extract them to the same folder on your computer. Then plug in the usb and windows should detect the new hardware. When it asks to install software for the new hardware, tell it to look in the folder where you extracted your files.

Once the device is installed, run the usbprog. Click the |...| button and choose the xuf file. You can hit |Read Version| to check what version is already on your device. Then just hit |Program|
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
08 TL-S CBP

I just talked to their tech support and they told me that they haven't tested it at all on TL's with Navi. They will look into it but recommended that I return the unit. I got mine through eBay from oemintegrators. Will see what happens. I am not looking into taking it out at all.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Pro

I have called Ph. 800-477-2267 ext. 230 I will call them tomorrow around 10 CST unless there is some emergency in office
did you call them yet and what did they say to do.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Anyone who had this installed, please let us know year, Navi (Y/N), Working (Y/N) and firmware if known

YEAR - 2008 TL-S
NAVI - Yes
Working? - No
Firmware - .25
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Pro

no go on 2007 tl types with nav
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
08 TL-S CBP

no go on 2007 tl types with nav
Did you try to call them?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro

not yet i was just about to call them when i read what you said.i'm going to call them and see if they tell me the samething.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Pro

i just call them and they told me the samething to return it.this sucks
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Tell me about it. Taking it out will be headache.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Pro

that was so much fun taking the car apart and going but to stock well it's all done.if any one that has a 04/06 i'm going to be saleing it. let me know if anyone needs one.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

I tried again today and this time I was able to get my unit to communicate to the laptop via USB after downloading the software and drivers. This time I actually disconnected the brain box completely and took it inside, then hooked it up via the USB connection and it recocnized it right away.

Interesting thing though, it said I already had the latest firmware when I ran the flash program. I checked my serial and it does indeed end in .25. I would definitely recommend anybody with an '04 to '06 with navi to make sure you run the firmware update to bring it up to .25. It says right on the download page that the version posted on 4/8/08 fixes a number of issues with Honda/Acura systems, among others. Based on comments posted here, this doesn't seem to be helping, though, with owners of late model TL's; I hope they get the bugs worked out for the newer navi models.

I hooked it back up and tested it and everything seems to be back to normal for now. I'll keep an eye on it and report back when and if any further suspicious behavior pops up.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

I purchased the iSimple kit (reboxed Peripheral brand) from Best Buy today and installed the unit in about 1.5 hours. Fairly simple install....the longest part of it was taking all the trim/panels off...and freaking out that I was going to break something. One thing the instructions were lacking were that the dipswitch settings...I had to put dipswitch 1 on. I was kind of worried at first when I started the car and nothing but XM played. I then started fooling around with the connections and still the same result. I was about to uninstall everything and then thought, what the hell...let's screw around with the dipswitches....flipped one down (on) and voila...sounds amazing.

One thing I noticed.....the cable that goes from the iPod to the media gateway seems really loose. I'm worried it will come undone during my drive...we'll see if that happens.

Another thing I might be worried about...

I placed the media gateway on top of a silver box on the right side of the gas pedal behind the carpet. I'm not positive what that silver box is but I am worried that it could overheat? Has anyone put their box thing there?...any issues?

all in all, I give this product a . First mod to my new (used) 2004 TL (non Nav.)

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I really want to have a step-by-step dyi
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

vw2xb,I thought all dipswitches had to be turned off for proper operation as per page 3 on the owner's manual. Are you getting the text working OK for song title/artist? Only Ford Models that you have to change the dipstick settings to on,maybe were on to something for a quick fix...Hopefully! Keep us updated vw2xb
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Originally Posted by xen-cuts

You should look at these:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151264
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130713

or look at actual instructions from Acura: https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...lMusicLink.pdf
Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ds42968
vw2xb,I thought all dipswitches had to be turned off for proper operation as per page 3 on the owner's manual. Are you getting the text working OK for song title/artist? Only Ford Models that you have to change the dipstick settings to on,maybe were on to something for a quick fix...Hopefully! Keep us updated vw2xb
I was reading the manual over and over and thought all dipswitches had to be OFF (Up position) but since that didn't work, I played with the switches...luckily 1 ON (Down position) worked for me. I do have text (on a NON Nav)...for the most part it does OK. Occasionally when I change songs, the text for the new song doesn't pull up....just ocassionally so I can live with that.

If you are having issues getting the unit to work, try to flip dipswitch 1 down....

I am pondering getting the HD Radio unit ...but thinking about things after this install, there is absolutely no room behind the center console unless you do some modifying/hacking...which I will not do. Another thing I didn't like about the HD radio unit is that the factory AM/FM radio will lose the antenna, so if you want to listen to the radio, it HAS to go thru the HD Radio unit....

One more review...the sound from the iPod is 10x better than CD's...IMO. Almost sounds like a brand new system was installed in the car....and I am an car audio freak in my prior cars.

Ok, sorry for the long post...I am just very happy and excited about installing this myself and did it with out F'ing up the interior...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Dood, look thru these forums and with all the different, DYI's you will be able to tackle this...I was scared $hitless about screwing up my interior...just take your time and follow the DYI's...

I think there is a short shift DYI that I used to take apart the panels....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151264
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130713
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Many thanks to wv2xb and YanN1ck!!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much, guys! Sometimes I just do not pick good words to search with...lol...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

edit: is the steering wheel control hard to hook up? I don't see instructions in these threads but I'm guessing that the device comes with instructions. Also, I have NO idea what this guy is talking about with flipping paddles or something. Where do I even find those? I've only seen one poster talking about them. TYIA.

Unit is ordered. I have no idea why, but I also wasted money on this HD radio thing. That was probably a useless purchase I'm guessing...? I've never even heard an HD radio.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

edit: is the steering wheel control hard to hook up? I don't see instructions in these threads but I'm guessing that the device comes with instructions. Also, I have NO idea what this guy is talking about with flipping paddles or something. Where do I even find those? I've only seen one poster talking about them. TYIA.

Unit is ordered. I have no idea why, but I also wasted money on this HD radio thing. That was probably a useless purchase I'm guessing...? I've never even heard an HD radio.

What device did you order? I'm not sure what paddles you are talking about. if you are meaning to say dipswitches, its on the side of the unit of the iSimple device....the steering wheel controls work normally...theres nothing you have to do with that during the install...I've heard HD radio is CD quality radio...I've never heard it though...Good luck finding a spot to install it though.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
08 TL-S CBP

Mine fit fine behind the head unit. Gave me enough cable slack to run it to PXAMG under the steering wheel. Only thing is that you have to get adapter to tap into the factory antenna. HDRT comes with regular old style plug.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by vw2xb
What device did you order? I'm not sure what paddles you are talking about. if you are meaning to say dipswitches, its on the side of the unit of the iSimple device....the steering wheel controls work normally...theres nothing you have to do with that during the install...I've heard HD radio is CD quality radio...I've never heard it though...Good luck finding a spot to install it though.
I meant to say dipswithces. Thanks for the heads up on space to install this radio thingie... I will try to take photos and post them here. This is going to happen in about 3 weeks. Um, please hang around in case I need some help, lol...
Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Mine fit fine behind the head unit. Gave me enough cable slack to run it to PXAMG under the steering wheel. Only thing is that you have to get adapter to tap into the factory antenna. HDRT comes with regular old style plug.
How does HD radio sound in Dallas? I live in the same area you do...

Is it strange not being able to hit AM/FM to listen to the radio and instead doing it from the media gate thing? How are the controls for the radio portion? I might need your help!

I live in the same area.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
08 TL-S CBP

I wish I could say, but if you looked at previous page , this device is not working on 2007/08 TL's with Navi. Right now I am looking into hew Dice HD unit with ipod support.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Is it strange not being able to hit AM/FM to listen to the radio and instead doing it from the media gate thing? How are the controls for the radio portion? I might need your help!
Wait, HD radio install negates use of regular radio?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
08 TL-S CBP

Yes, you have to connect factory antenna to the HD unit. However, per manual you can still listen to regular stations through the device if they have no HD feed.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

I purchased the iSimple kit (reboxed Peripheral brand) from Best Buy today and installed the unit in about 1.5 hours. Fairly simple install....the longest part of it was taking all the trim/panels off...and freaking out that I was going to break something. One thing the instructions were lacking were that the dipswitch settings...I had to put dipswitch 1 on. I was kind of worried at first when I started the car and nothing but XM played. I then started fooling around with the connections and still the same result. I was about to uninstall everything and then thought, what the hell...let's screw around with the dipswitches....flipped one down (on) and voila...sounds amazing.

One thing I noticed.....the cable that goes from the iPod to the media gateway seems really loose. I'm worried it will come undone during my drive...we'll see if that happens.

Another thing I might be worried about...

I placed the media gateway on top of a silver box on the right side of the gas pedal behind the carpet. I'm not positive what that silver box is but I am worried that it could overheat? Has anyone put their box thing there?...any issues?

all in all, I give this product a . First mod to my new (used) 2004 TL (non Nav.)

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
vw2xb - I had the same concerns regarding the 2 items you mentioned. First, I don't like the connector they use on the end of the ipod cable that connects to the PXAMG. Mine slips in way too easy and I'm sure it will work its way loose over time. I actually secured it a bit with some electrical tape while I had it out yesterday to flash the firmware; I don't think it will be a problem at all.

I put my PXAMG unit in the exact same place you did - on that large thin metal box to the right of the accelerator behind the carpet. I don't think it will be a problem regarding overheating, but I'm not quite sure what that box is. All I know is that the edge is sharper than heck and I cut my thumb and fingers 3 times trying to get the box mounted on top of it! I used some heavy duty velcro and stuck it to the top of that thing so I know it's not going anywhere.

So far mine is working very well again after I removed it, flashed the firmware, and reconnected everything. I might have had a loose connection before so we'll see how it goes.

I'm not really sold on the HD radio thing, but I guess it does make sense compared to paying for XM. I defintely do not want to lose normal AM/FM to get HD though, as there are times when the gold old radio is the way to go. Having said that, I am always listening to XM on short trips around town so I get my money's worth every year on the XM subscription (those of you who are familiar with the discounted XM deal certainly know what I'm talking about!)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Yes, you have to connect factory antenna to the HD unit. However, per manual you can still listen to regular stations through the device if they have no HD feed.
I would like to split the antenna feed into the HD and factory units. I'm skeptical about this HD radio and about its functionality.

I've been searching for a splitter cable...and ideas? I haven't come up with anything yet.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
Interesting thing though, it said I already had the latest firmware when I ran the flash program. I checked my serial and it does indeed end in .25. I would definitely recommend anybody with an '04 to '06 with navi to make sure you run the firmware update to bring it up to .25. It says right on the download page that the version posted on 4/8/08 fixes a number of issues with Honda/Acura systems, among others.
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Haven't done anything with it yet, other than check the serial number on the sticker, which DOES end in .25. Do we know for sure that means I DON'T need to update the firmware? I ordered it on 4/12 from the Elektech store on eBay, so technically they had enough time to upate it with the 4/8 patch. I just wish I knew for sure whether the 4/8 patch IS version 2.5, or whether it's only a patch that needs to be applied to version 2.5.

Guess the only real way to find out is to hook it up to my laptop and try the firmware update...

FYI, I have an '04 TL with Navi, so I'm hoping that bug that some of you are seeing, where all of the radio and navi functions slow to a crawl, is just an issue with the NavTraffic systems on the 07's and 08's. I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to do the install.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
08 TL-S CBP

I would like to split the antenna feed into the HD and factory units. I'm skeptical about this HD radio and about its functionality.

I've been searching for a splitter cable...and ideas? I haven't come up with anything yet.

You can find regular antenna splitters, but I haven't seen any that would split Honda connectors. You might have to find some regular car antenna (windshield mount) and use that instead.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elessar
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Haven't done anything with it yet, other than check the serial number on the sticker, which DOES end in .25. Do we know for sure that means I DON'T need to update the firmware? I ordered it on 4/12 from the Elektech store on eBay, so technically they had enough time to upate it with the 4/8 patch. I just wish I knew for sure whether the 4/8 patch IS version 2.5, or whether it's only a patch that needs to be applied to version 2.5.

Guess the only real way to find out is to hook it up to my laptop and try the firmware update...

FYI, I have an '04 TL with Navi, so I'm hoping that bug that some of you are seeing, where all of the radio and navi functions slow to a crawl, is just an issue with the NavTraffic systems on the 07's and 08's. I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to do the install.
I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and flash the firware; that's why I did it. I don't think it installed any new updates as the dialog came back on my laptop screen saying "Firmware already updated" or similar message. It's worth a try though since there are some issues out there.

I haven't seen any of the crawl issues with my '05 Navi like the 07/08 owners are talking about. The biggest problem I seem to have is every once in awhile when I turn the ignition on the radio won't power on - I get nav screen and functionality no problem. I don't get any sound or stations on AM/FM or XM until after a few minutes and then it fires up and works normally. This does not happen everytime nor does it happen often but only infrequently and with no apparent pattern.

I've said it a few times now and I'll say it again - when this thing works it really sounds great! The ipod sound almost rivals the DVD-audio disc sound in my opinion and really shows off the Acura sound system as it should be.

Good luck on that antenna splitter problem. I'm sure you can find one somewhere - if not on ebay then somewhere else on the web.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4