QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
I paid $150 for the PE iPod unit, plus $50 for the install. They ran the wire up through the lower center console.
i took your advece and got he PE unit as well,$129.....figure it should take me less than an hour to install,
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nick337
this might be a dumb question, but does the car kit let you use the touch screen navi?
Not sure what you mean? Do you say that because I push the buttons in the video instead of using the touch screen? The touch screen works just fine, didn't lose any functionality in audio or navi mode. I just use the buttons because they're a little easier.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimenezlee
Not sure what you mean? Do you say that because I push the buttons in the video instead of using the touch screen? The touch screen works just fine, didn't lose any functionality in audio or navi mode. I just use the buttons because they're a little easier.
where did you guys order it from and what was the cost for it;also if i keep xm will the NavTraffic work.how does it sound coming out of the xm port does it sound loud or is it low like xm is.thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Ok I have a few questions for you all on this subject...the PE device and the navi screen.

Actually, first, for 2008 Acura TL...I have a 2004 Acura TL w/Navi...my screen doesn't look like yours, is yours modded or is that the new 2008 look? Your text scrolls, mine doesn't, is that something I can upgrade to?

The HD Radio portion of this unit, what does that give you? All your local stations in HD or just certain stations who are broadcasting in HD? Do you lose all the normal AM/FM stations that are not HD? Doesn't HD stations broad cast a text feed on the station/song/artist?

Other than that, the iPod PE device looks sweet! Thanks for showing us this!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:03 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Also, the steering wheel controls still work for all standard radio features plus this new iPod features?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

Originally Posted by murkedout-typeS

this is the guy that i got mine from
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Pro

this is the guy that i got mine from
did all the wires come with it and does your NavTraffic still work.did you get the hd kit too
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Yeah does that include everything needed to install? Could I just take it into a car audio store and they'd have everything to install?

I called a local audio store there and they wanted $149 for the PXAMG and I guess another $50 for the "cables" he called it, I'm assuming that was the PGHHD1 (Harness). So $200 for the equipment and $35 for install...$235 total...

I called another place they wanted $169 for all the equipment, and $30 to install.

This ebay price is good, if it includes everything...?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro

chrismc73 did you order it from him and what year is your car.i hope i don't lose my NavTraffic.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

No I just ordered it form a local shop, Jackie Cooper Electronics, here in my home town, OKC, and its $235 installed, $170 for the unit, $20 for the harness/wires/ and $35 for the install...setup to be installed next Tuesday.

I have an 04 TL, so don't know about the NavTraffic, if its an issue. Sorry.
I'm curious to know if in that YouTube video, the nav screen or skin is a red look, is that the standard for the 08 TLs? Or did he mod that? And can I mod my 04?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
No I just ordered it form a local shop, Jackie Cooper Electronics, here in my home town, OKC, and its $235 installed, $170 for the unit, $20 for the harness/wires/ and $35 for the install...setup to be installed next Tuesday.

I have an 04 TL, so don't know about the NavTraffic, if its an issue. Sorry.
I'm curious to know if in that YouTube video, the nav screen or skin is a red look, is that the standard for the 08 TLs? Or did he mod that? And can I mod my 04?
no on the 07 and 08 nav you can change the color of the screen.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

So there is no way for me to MOD mine?
Or upgrade my system to do that?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Pro

So there is no way for me to MOD mine?
Or upgrade my system to do that?
yes and no you would need to change or nav drive,cd,and some wiring.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Do you have any links or know where I can look for this information?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Pro

Do you have any links or know where I can look for this information?
no but you can do a Search at the top of this page.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Pro

just order mine from ebay hope it works.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Also, the steering wheel controls still work for all standard radio features plus this new iPod features?
Yup.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Is the ipod locked when connected to this device? Also what is the interface on the headunit like. Can you change playlists? See the playlist name?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I'd like to see how this works on a 04' TL Navi...anyone know of someone who's done this on an 04? I might be the first, mine is scheduled to go in on Tuesday!

I'm curious to see how it works with 04, since all I've seen is the 08 navi/gui on that YouTube video we have in this thread. The 04 and 08 GUI's are so different...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by borgit
Is the ipod locked when connected to this device? Also what is the interface on the headunit like. Can you change playlists? See the playlist name?
you can see playlists, albums, artists, genre, song titles, tracks, song times etc., same as the ipod. If I remember correctly, you can use the ipod to control everything as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

Originally Posted by acura911
did all the wires come with it and does your NavTraffic still work.did you get the hd kit too

everything came with it,did not get the HD kit.I think with XM,cd,Ipod i have more than enough music,lol
Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

You have to buy two things for this:

PXAMG
MSRP: $169.95
Product Overview
Universal iPod adapter with HD Radio and auxiliary audio capabilities. (vehicle specific harness required)

PGHHD1
MSRP: $19.95
Product Overview
PXAMG vehicle specific harness for Honda/Acura vehicles

The HD kit is optional, if you want HD Radio.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Pro

everything came with it,did not get the HD kit.I think with XM,cd,Ipod i have more than enough music,lol
thanks i just ordered it from him.what about the NavTraffic does it still work like before.thanks did it take long for you to get it from him?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Are there any more threads on this product, I'm wanting to see how well this works with an 04 TL, the 2008's have a different GUI on the navi, so I'm sure it works similar but not the same, and I've seen 2008 Acura TL's YouTube video, which is great, just not comparing apples to apples there...04 vs 08 will have a different GUI and functionality.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

Originally Posted by acura911
thanks i just ordered it from him.what about the NavTraffic does it still work like before.thanks did it take long for you to get it from him?

i havent installed it yet.no time with work ,kid and wife.i will try sometime next week to get it in.i got mine in 4 days.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Pro

i havent installed it yet.no time with work ,kid and wife.i will try sometime next week to get it in.i got mine in 4 days.
cool thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

I received my PXAMG Peripheral iPod adapter this Tuesday along with the PGHHD1 harness. I ordered it on eBay from the following vendor, OE Integration in the L.A. area. They shipped it out next day and ship free if you buy it now on ebay.

I have a 2005 with Navi, XM and wanted to keep everything as is. After researching all the various posts regarding dash removal to get to the head unit, I decided to take the approach posted by jmbnova. It really is not necessary to completely disassembe the dash and remove the head unit. His .pdf that shows how you can just remove the driver's side carbon fiber trim, driver's side knee panel and steering column cover is right on the money; at least for owner's with Nav, XM, etc.

It really isn't that bad of a job and I would recommend doing the job yourself if you have the time. The whole install took me about 3 hours but that includes interruptions required to pick my son up from school, etc. The disassembly took about an hour because I really wanted to take my time and not break anything! It then took about 5 minutes to disconnect the factory XM harness, connect the new harness to the back of the head unit, then connect the factory harness and the new harness together to the Y cable that's included.

I was able to install the unit where it's easily accessible if you pull down the carpet by the accelerator; this will eliminate the need for tearing the car apart just to get at the brain box in the future. Also, a key thing to keep in mind here is that the harness is not long enough to install the box under the seat. You really need to leave it somewhere around the radio or below it next to the ductwork. On the other hand, they give you an 11 foot cable to run from the box to your iPod so that's really cool.

Testing and reassembly took about an hour or so and voila! I now have the closest thing to the holy grail for aftermarket iPod integration. I'm happy to report that aftert 2 days it's working flawlessly. You can control it via the Nav touchscreen (by touching the 6 preset buttons); via the head unit controls; via the steering controls; supposedly by the iPod itself but so far mine is locked when connected. This really doesn't matter though because this is the whole point - I don't want to use the iPod; I just want to connect, stow and go.

It takes awhile to figure out the controls, but so far I like the navigation. You can search by Playlist, Artist, Song, Genre and you can even scroll through your artist listings using the station tuner knob on the head unit. You can also do this using the tune +/- on the steering wheel.

You access the device by cycling in/out of AM/FM and back to XM. For example, if you are in XM mode listening to satellite, you click the AM/FM button or cycle through the Modes via the Mode button on the steering wheel. Once you get back to XM mode, you can use the radio tuning knob to access the various inputs on the PXAMG - ipod, aux 1, aux 2, etc.

Scrolling through artists, songs, etc is really fast and there is not much of a delay. The sound quality is INCREDIBLE and plenty loud. I have not heard any skipping, popping, etc. It remembers where you left off when you turn the car off and back on again too.

If you have my setup - 05, navi, xm then this is the solution for you if you want to keep XM and have text display on the nav screen. It's early on but I really think these guys have hit it out of the park with this one.

Good luck with your installs!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by dhasselbacher
I received my PXAMG Peripheral iPod adapter this Tuesday along with the PGHHD1 harness. I ordered it on eBay from the following vendor, OE Integration in the L.A. area. They shipped it out next day and ship free if you buy it now on ebay.

I have a 2005 with Navi, XM and wanted to keep everything as is. After researching all the various posts regarding dash removal to get to the head unit, I decided to take the approach posted by jmbnova. It really is not necessary to completely disassembe the dash and remove the head unit. His .pdf that shows how you can just remove the driver's side carbon fiber trim, driver's side knee panel and steering column cover is right on the money; at least for owner's with Nav, XM, etc.

It really isn't that bad of a job and I would recommend doing the job yourself if you have the time. The whole install took me about 3 hours but that includes interruptions required to pick my son up from school, etc. The disassembly took about an hour because I really wanted to take my time and not break anything! It then took about 5 minutes to disconnect the factory XM harness, connect the new harness to the back of the head unit, then connect the factory harness and the new harness together to the Y cable that's included.

I was able to install the unit where it's easily accessible if you pull down the carpet by the accelerator; this will eliminate the need for tearing the car apart just to get at the brain box in the future. Also, a key thing to keep in mind here is that the harness is not long enough to install the box under the seat. You really need to leave it somewhere around the radio or below it next to the ductwork. On the other hand, they give you an 11 foot cable to run from the box to your iPod so that's really cool.

Testing and reassembly took about an hour or so and voila! I now have the closest thing to the holy grail for aftermarket iPod integration. I'm happy to report that aftert 2 days it's working flawlessly. You can control it via the Nav touchscreen (by touching the 6 preset buttons); via the head unit controls; via the steering controls; supposedly by the iPod itself but so far mine is locked when connected. This really doesn't matter though because this is the whole point - I don't want to use the iPod; I just want to connect, stow and go.

It takes awhile to figure out the controls, but so far I like the navigation. You can search by Playlist, Artist, Song, Genre and you can even scroll through your artist listings using the station tuner knob on the head unit. You can also do this using the tune +/- on the steering wheel.

You access the device by cycling in/out of AM/FM and back to XM. For example, if you are in XM mode listening to satellite, you click the AM/FM button or cycle through the Modes via the Mode button on the steering wheel. Once you get back to XM mode, you can use the radio tuning knob to access the various inputs on the PXAMG - ipod, aux 1, aux 2, etc.

Scrolling through artists, songs, etc is really fast and there is not much of a delay. The sound quality is INCREDIBLE and plenty loud. I have not heard any skipping, popping, etc. It remembers where you left off when you turn the car off and back on again too.

If you have my setup - 05, navi, xm then this is the solution for you if you want to keep XM and have text display on the nav screen. It's early on but I really think these guys have hit it out of the park with this one.

Good luck with your installs!

Thanks dhasselbacher!
I have an 04 TL, I think our Navi's are same? Good to hear it works great.
Do you think you could post some pics or a quick vid of how it works?
I'm curious to see this on something other than an 07/08...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Instructor

ChrisMc73,

Which generation Ipod do you have? I think the latest gen Ipods are always locked when connected through the docking port. The previous gen though could stay unlocked. At least that is the case with Dice.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
you can see playlists, albums, artists, genre, song titles, tracks, song times etc., same as the ipod. If I remember correctly, you can use the ipod to control everything as well.
You can see even the song times? That is pretty cool because there is no field in XM display for song times.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I have the newest gen iPod...thats why I'm curious to know how this thing works with my 04 Navi screen, its a lot different than the 08 Navi Gui...which is what is show in the YouTube video link above...08 Navi Gui has scrolling text, so you can see long titles/songs/etc...mine doesn't do that.

You'd think with technology they could upgrade the GUI in the older models?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor

I have the newest gen iPod...thats why I'm curious to know how this thing works with my 04 Navi screen, its a lot different than the 08 Navi Gui...which is what is show in the YouTube video link above...08 Navi Gui has scrolling text, so you can see long titles/songs/etc...mine doesn't do that.

You'd think with technology they could upgrade the GUI in the older models?
The 04-06 Navi is the same technology I believe. I got an 06 and mine does 16 character scrolling with the DICE adapter. The newer 07 08 gui has tabs and xm traffic, but other than that its not really that much different than the 04-06.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

So do you think this adapter does the scrolling too? I guess you wouldn't know since you are using the dice adapter, but I'm sure it probably does, guess I'll find out Tuesday.

I haven't update my DVD, still have the one I got in 04, that only updates the maps right?
Not the GUI?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Intermediate

ChrisMC73,

I'll post some pics and maybe a video clip of the nav screen on Youtube tomorrow. My nav screen on the 05 TL does not scroll so long titles are truncated when in XM mode listening to satellite. This is the same with the iPod text - long artist names and song names are cut off and you do not see the whole line. It would be great if the text scrolled to show the whole line but I can live with it as is.

I have an old 4th generation click wheel iPod 40GB model and it seems to lock the ipod controls when connected. As I mentioned in my long post, this is not that big of a problem but in a perfect world I would like to have access from the ipod too.

The display does show the song time counting up from 0:00. One thing it does not show is Album title while showing artist and song titles. Once in awhile it shows the word "IPOD" instead of the artist name but usually goes back to artist name if left alone.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2006 TL (NON NAVI) bought mine PXAMG/PGHHD1 together in a package (I SIMPLE) at Best Buy for $129.95.The HD Radio (HDRT) Tuner is $99.95...But I didn't purchase it;still up in the air about the HD Radio. Works Great,easy to get Playist,Artist,Album & Still Keep XM Radio!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Hey everyone, I've seen some of the last posts and some of you are asking how the unit works, whether you can play all playlists or not, etc. The Peripheral website has all the information you need in the manuals. You can browse through all playlists, artists, album, tracks, genre, rewind, forward, random songs, random album (I think) and random off. You can manage all this from the radio interface, using the preset buttons 1-6 when in iPod mode. You can also change to next track or previous track using the steering wheel buttons. I have an iPhone and it does lock all controls on that too. But when the installer was testing it, I did notice it did not lock his iPod, so like its been said here, it will probably depend on your particular version of iPod, but this shouldn't matter, because you can access it all through the interface.

I think the key to understanding this adapter is to think that it will "intercept" the signal that the XM tuner would send to the main radio unit, and then show you the menu to decide whether you want to use the iPod function or let the XM radio go through as normal.

A couple of notes based on my experience. Have your installer do the firmware upgrade, they didn't do mine and I'm thinking of going back to having them do it. Right now I've found a bug or two where even though all functions work okay and I can switch between XM and iPod, the display from the adapter froze until I turned the ignition off then back on.

Another thing is that with the switch to Sirius, the installer had completely disconnected the two plugs that went to the XM tuner. (In a previous post I had mentioned that according to Safe and Sound in Manassas the XM with traffic info has two plugs instead of one and they had disconnected both) Well, this tuner holds something else as well because my phonebook import had stopped working. After scratching my head a little, I went back in there and plugged in both plugs into the tuner and even though there is no signal from this to my radio anymore, the phonebook functionality is again working as before.

This adapter gets my vote as the best one out in the market so far.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimenezlee
Hey everyone, I've seen some of the last posts and some of you are asking how the unit works, whether you can play all playlists or not, etc. The Peripheral website has all the information you need in the manuals. You can browse through all playlists, artists, album, tracks, genre, rewind, forward, random songs, random album (I think) and random off. You can manage all this from the radio interface, using the preset buttons 1-6 when in iPod mode. You can also change to next track or previous track using the steering wheel buttons. I have an iPhone and it does lock all controls on that too. But when the installer was testing it, I did notice it did not lock his iPod, so like its been said here, it will probably depend on your particular version of iPod, but this shouldn't matter, because you can access it all through the interface.

I think the key to understanding this adapter is to think that it will "intercept" the signal that the XM tuner would send to the main radio unit, and then show you the menu to decide whether you want to use the iPod function or let the XM radio go through as normal.

A couple of notes based on my experience. Have your installer do the firmware upgrade, they didn't do mine and I'm thinking of going back to having them do it. Right now I've found a bug or two where even though all functions work okay and I can switch between XM and iPod, the display from the adapter froze until I turned the ignition off then back on.

Another thing is that with the switch to Sirius, the installer had completely disconnected the two plugs that went to the XM tuner. (In a previous post I had mentioned that according to Safe and Sound in Manassas the XM with traffic info has two plugs instead of one and they had disconnected both) Well, this tuner holds something else as well because my phonebook import had stopped working. After scratching my head a little, I went back in there and plugged in both plugs into the tuner and even though there is no signal from this to my radio anymore, the phonebook functionality is again working as before.

This adapter gets my vote as the best one out in the market so far.
Its cool that you can see the song times. That's not something that you get with the DICE adaptor, which I currently have. I wanted to ask, how fast is the scrolling through the playlists/albums/songs? I heard that on the DICE silverline its a bit laggy. I have the older dice, where it just advances to the next playlist without showing the playlist name, but the benefit is that my ipod is not locked.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Ok so from what I've gathered on these threads...

1. Dice adapter gives you text but you lose XM
2. USA gives you XM but you lose text
3. PXAMG Peripheral iPod adapter gives you both xm and text (but not scrolling text?)

I saw scrolling text on the YouTube video from the 2008 Acura TL users post...so is that cause the 07/08 GUI already does scrolling text? Or maybe there is a setting in the PXAMG that needs to be set for scrolling text?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Here are a few pics of my nav screen with the Peripheral unit in use. The first photo shows how the display looks right when you enter into the PXAMG mode after pressing the XM satellite button on your radio. The next photo shows the display while the ipod is playing a track. In this case, it's showing Name - Bon Jovi (artist), and Title - Lost Highway (song title and not album title). The last photo shows my 4th gen click wheel ipod hooked up to the Peripheral cable resting in the center console top section.

I'll try to post a short video clip on youtube of the changing text display as you scroll through the input choices on the PXAMG.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4