QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xerlude
Here is the deal, I'm testing the unit before I run the ipod cable to the center console. Now the car can see the ipod and track info but I'm getting really low sound, so low that I have to rise the volume to the max and still cant really hear the music. Here is what I’ve done so far
1. installed the latest firmware
2. soft booted the ipod(video 5thGen)
3. used another ipod
4. disconnected the 20 pin connecter from the unit for 5min
5. disconnected the unit from the XM unit in the trunk
6. turn the car off like 20 times
7. checked to make sure the ipod cable was connected in the port furthest from the dip switch.
8. have all the dip switches in the off position

I picked this unit up at bestbuy.com, and I just don’t know what else to try, I think installing my rear view Camera was quicker then this for me. thanks for the help.

forgot to add that dont get that XM promo any more.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb new harness

Originally Posted by Peripheral
Initial shipment is 200 we will adjust from there if needed.

Glad to see you worked this out, now, how will I be able to get one? I do not own the unit as it does not work in a Type-S without the new cable, so I'd like to buy the unit and the new harness together, or just the new harness and I'll buy the unit retail.

THANKS !!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find the 0.26 firmware on the peripheral website, can someone send a link? I can pm you my email address as well
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

nevermind, got it from tony....
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

Here is the deal, I'm testing the unit before I run the ipod cable to the center console. Now the car can see the ipod and track info but I'm getting really low sound, so low that I have to rise the volume to the max and still cant really hear the music. Here is what I’ve done so far
1. installed the latest firmware
2. soft booted the ipod(video 5thGen)
3. used another ipod
4. disconnected the 20 pin connecter from the unit for 5min
5. disconnected the unit from the XM unit in the trunk
6. turn the car off like 20 times
7. checked to make sure the ipod cable was connected in the port furthest from the dip switch.
8. have all the dip switches in the off position

I picked this unit up at bestbuy.com, and I just don’t know what else to try, I think installing my rear view Camera was quicker then this for me. thanks for the help.
I was kinda having this problem also. One thing to check is make sure "sound check" is off on your ipod...that normalizes all your song volumes. Another thing, which turned out to be my problem is that I had the dolby something on, so once I switched that to off on my acura sound system, the sound went a lot better...I used to avg at 30, now I'm at 12 on a freeway. The dolby thing is found under your sound options..you'll see bass, treble, etc...keep scrolling till you see it. Hope that was your problem too!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tsingh
Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find the 0.26 firmware on the peripheral website, can someone send a link? I can pm you my email address as well
I just bought this unit for my 2005 TL w/ NAV. Serial number ends in .25. Where do I find the updated firmware? Do we just follow the link for the general gateway update on this page(http://www.peripheralelectronics.com.../xp/index.html) since our vehicle isn't specified?

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Advanced

I keep reading about you guys picking these up at BestBuy, but it appears the only one they say they carry is the GM model. Are you guys getting lucky at your local to find an Acura one??

Also, I have a 2006 5AT Navi (no traffic, but yes to XM) and this seems like what I've wanted for a long time. Do I need a special cable for it?? Anything in particular I should know??
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by brassai
I keep reading about you guys picking these up at BestBuy, but it appears the only one they say they carry is the GM model. Are you guys getting lucky at your local to find an Acura one??

Also, I have a 2006 5AT Navi (no traffic, but yes to XM) and this seems like what I've wanted for a long time. Do I need a special cable for it?? Anything in particular I should know??
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650467149

I bought mine at BestBuy. Theres a couple of BestBuys in my area and only one had it. Just use the store pickup option to check inventory at a store.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Save yourself a bit of money with the GB.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by goofy1641
I was kinda having this problem also. One thing to check is make sure "sound check" is off on your ipod...that normalizes all your song volumes. Another thing, which turned out to be my problem is that I had the dolby something on, so once I switched that to off on my acura sound system, the sound went a lot better...I used to avg at 30, now I'm at 12 on a freeway. The dolby thing is found under your sound options..you'll see bass, treble, etc...keep scrolling till you see it. Hope that was your problem too!
thanks for the suggestions, i'll give it a try this weekend. one question, where did you install it? in the trunk to the XM unit or in back of the radio?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Picked up the PXAMG\PGHHD1 to put in my 06 no navi. I went with the rear installation (Y harness into xm unit instead of cd player). When I choose the IPOD input it hops back and forth between something like XM1-001 and the correct text, but I dont get any sound. Running latest firmware on the perpherial and latest software on the ipod.

I think I remember reading someone had the same issue and found that you have to install it in the front connected to the cd unit. Am I right on this?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Save yourself a bit of money with the GB.

So when / where is the group buy? Is the new harness out yet ?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for the suggestions, i'll give it a try this weekend. one question, where did you install it? in the trunk to the XM unit or in back of the radio?
little late, but I installed mine into the back of the radio head unit then routed the pxamg to near my gas pedal and the ipod adapter into my ashtray thingy
Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just upgraded to the .36e firmware and now I'm having an issue with it displaying IPOD instead of the artist name. Sometimes I can change songs and get it to work but it's pretty random. Everytime I upgrade this firmware there is some new bug. I need to use it for a few days to see if it's fixed the freezing issue with the larger ipods, but this is getting frustrating.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by neo6205
Picked up the PXAMG\PGHHD1 to put in my 06 no navi. I went with the rear installation (Y harness into xm unit instead of cd player). When I choose the IPOD input it hops back and forth between something like XM1-001 and the correct text, but I dont get any sound. Running latest firmware on the perpherial and latest software on the ipod.

I think I remember reading someone had the same issue and found that you have to install it in the front connected to the cd unit. Am I right on this?
I think that I am having the same issue. Just bought from Best Buy and tried to install in the trunk by the XM box in my 2004 TL w/ Navi. Inputs cycle through iPod, Aux1 and Aux 2, but does NOT show 'SAT'. Navigation of the iPod appears to work, but no audio at all.

Did the front install fix your problem?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ando1brett
I think that I am having the same issue. Just bought from Best Buy and tried to install in the trunk by the XM box in my 2004 TL w/ Navi. Inputs cycle through iPod, Aux1 and Aux 2, but does NOT show 'SAT'. Navigation of the iPod appears to work, but no audio at all.

Did the front install fix your problem?
Well, thought I'd let y'all know that the front install was 10x more difficult, but works perfect. I think the rear install that I saw was using an updated wire harness, which is why it wasn't working.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced

has anyone had any freezing/ lag issues with your 04 Navi TL after the PXAMG install?
Everytime I start up my car, with the ipod connected or not, the whole system takes awhile to respond to any of the controls, volume/ power/ change inputs. The volume changes don't seem to appear as well.

Any suggestions? It was working fine a couple of days ago, I don't know what could have happened. The firmware is the newest as well.
Thansk!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by morphguy12
has anyone had any freezing/ lag issues with your 04 Navi TL after the PXAMG install?
Everytime I start up my car, with the ipod connected or not, the whole system takes awhile to respond to any of the controls, volume/ power/ change inputs. The volume changes don't seem to appear as well.
No problems here - I also have a 04 Navi TL. Installed it about 2 months ago, updated it with the version out at that time (.36b) and it mostly works fine. I have an old disk-based iPod and it will sometimes cut out for a few seconds, but I assume thats because of the disk access. With the iPod connected, it starts up immediately after I start the car.

I've downloaded .36e version, but haven't updated the PXAMG to that yet.

-- Andy
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Advanced

Hello every1. Just purchased a 2005 acura tl NAVIGATION and have a question .
Am from Canada cc7 so I don't have xm radio in my navigation system , from what i see.
Can i still use this product to connect or I absolutely have to have a xm button that I don't see anywhere in my car .
If not any suggestions of what i can use to plugg my iphone so i can listen to my music from iphone

thank you in advance

Last edited by naser075; 06-24-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Peripheral
Guys and Gals,

It's official, The PGHHD2 harness is comming to market. This harness is only for vehicle equipped with NAV Traffic! This harness should hit our doors in mid June and be available no later the July 1.

The ipod cable is still a toss up, not sure if we will have them by then but you can always buy two and make one long one.

Enjoy
TT.
Any updates on this harness?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by emoney$
Any updates on this harness?
Uncald4 has some, and is shipping them right now I think.
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/isimple-group-buy-707785/
Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Question

I'm on firmware 36e, went to install mine this weekend (2007 TL Navi w/ XM) . Got everything plugged in (at the front, not the trunk) and it did not recognize the iPod at all. Ipod and PXAMG are both at latest firmwares. Tried connecting in the trunk, and if I leave the XM unplugged it does recognize the iPod, but there is no sound. If I hook up the XM as well , it just plain doesn't work. After two days of banging my head and killing my back, I gave up. Never been beaten by an electronics problem before but this one has me baffled.

Originally Posted by neo6205

Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alright well if someone could break this down for me it would be great, ive read through lottsss of the pages but theres just alot of disscusion back and forth thats got me confused... i have 06' TL no nav. and i would like to have xm radio and ipod connection.. what do i need to acheive this.. while still having steering wheel controls, and the bluetooth handsfree phone incar.
Thank guys
Old 07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

Dear Peripheral-- Recently, I upgraded my iPhone to Operating System 3.0, which killed its compatibility with the PXAMG. I see from your website that you're aware of this issue. Any sense of when a fix for this will be available? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tarheelblue
Dear Peripheral-- Recently, I upgraded my iPhone to Operating System 3.0, which killed its compatibility with the PXAMG. I see from your website that you're aware of this issue. Any sense of when a fix for this will be available? Thanks!
What does your iPhone not do now that you upgraded? I have the 3gs with 3.0.1 and it works fine on mine but I do have the navtraffic version, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 AM
5th Gear

Well the PROBLEM is that the unit doesn't recognize the iphone--"no ipod connected"--and whether or not I can make it play or not at all is very erratic. See the Peripheral website for how they see the problem.

The SOLUTION appears to be the new firmware update that just came available: version 37b. I'll try this as soon as I can find a PC I can can use (their firmware updating doesn't work with mac . . . ).
Old 08-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Well the PROBLEM is that the unit doesn't recognize the iphone--"no ipod connected"--and whether or not I can make it play or not at all is very erratic. See the Peripheral website for how they see the problem.

The SOLUTION appears to be the new firmware update that just came available: version 37b. I'll try this as soon as I can find a PC I can can use (their firmware updating doesn't work with mac . . . ).
Where did you find this 37b firmware? Their upgrade page is still only offering 36e.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIC
Where did you find this 37b firmware? Their upgrade page is still only offering 36e.
37b is on the page now.. I might try the upgrade tonight to see if it solves some of my issues..
Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I see it now.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
just a side note...

I heavily researched this setup for a Nissan Murano without a bose system.
The sound quality is reduced and the biggest complaint was that the volume decreased and the system had to be turned up. But of course the radio (terrestrial) was still at normal levels so there wasn't any normalization. Anyhow, the bottom line for the Nissan was that the OEM was the best option even with the extra $$$
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Instructor

it may be because it's a 12v plug instead of a 5v like the newer iPods and iPhones.

if that's the case, use a 12v to 5v plug... many people work around this issue like that. But, it doesn't work on all setups.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
5th Gear

Thanks, but yes, I have the 3G-compatible 5v cable. The issue OS 3.0 not 3G. And to warn you all, I spent like 6 hours today trying to update the firmware on a PC running Vista (gave up) and the on one running XP, and ran into endless troubles. At one point the tech support person was like, "Try a different PC. We have 4 in the office here and only 2 work with the firmware updater." So that was a bit exasperating. I finally did get the firmware updated, but now the unit will not go into "ipod" mode. After 3 more calls to tech services and twice resetting the unit by dismantling it and short circuiting it (following directions), there was no improvement. "Yeah, it shouldn't be doing that," says the guy. Yes, which is why I'm calling . . . . In the end I was told that I might have a defective unit, but that the couldn't help with that--I would have to take that up with the retailer. So much for a 1 year warranty on a 6 month-old item. I would love to hear a story of success on this subject, but having wasted huge amount of time, I'm thinking maybe Dice or whatever is starting to look good.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor

take it to the apple store since it's only 6 months into the 1 year warranty.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM
5th Gear

??? Why would I take a non-working PXAMG unit made by Peripheral to the Apple store?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Instructor

oh nm, I didn't read your behemoth of a paragraph completely.

I thought your iPhone/iPod was acting up
Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Will the Isimple from bestbuy work with my 06 TL w/nav

Paragraph says wont work with navigation radios.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=39&loc=01
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Instructor

2008 tl-s

So, is the Periphael unit working for the TL-S w/ the new harness or are there still issues? (Ipod is a 4th gen clickwheel no color) thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
8th Gear

I've tried to read through this whole thread and search for others, so sorry if this has been discussed already: Have an 07 TL w/out Navi. This from best buy is the right unit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650467149 and includes PXAMG and the PGHDD1?

Having the 07 TL with no navi means this needs to get installed on driver side behind the console (to right of pedals)?

My car is in the shop now and I've been caught by the mod bug so I really want to get all this ready for when my car is ready.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it from here a little cheaper. Im pretty sure your gona need the PGHHD1 harness. If you want to make sure ask uncald, the OP of the linked thread. Here is the link to buy and info. on this item:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707785

You can also install it yourself. without unscrewing one screw. its pretty simple. Here is a great thread on this, I posted some pictures on post # 310:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-058-just-installed-peripheral-electronics-isimple-ipod-adapter-review-install-tips-697728/

Good Luck.

Rolan

Last edited by rolan04tl; 09-28-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Banned

That's why most of us talk about using the Dice and USA Spec modules (myself included). Collectively, we've looked around a TON and still keep coming back to these two as being the least "compromised" for our cars.

Whatever, you choose though, the direct rout into the back of the head unit is the way to go - controls from the steering wheel, best sound quality, and recharge of the iPod. Honestly, IMO the aux jack is a bit of a short-cut that sacrifices a lot of features (and let's not even mention FM transmitters ).

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4