Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:23 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Will be sending my Unichip back today to be reflashed. He requested a copy of the A/F traces from GRD. Jack said he is not sure what is causing the A/F to be too lean. He did ask about the Mugen thermostat and fan switch, which I have and listed on my mods when I submitted to Todd.

I will be going back to GRD to verify the A/F when I get the reflashed chip. This mod is starting to get a little pricey.

Anyone want to buy a Unichip?
Old 07-28-2004 | 12:43 PM
Not Asian

Any updates for today?
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:51 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Myopic vision and why MrSteve has too much hot sauce up his tailpipe

Originally Posted by mrsteve
And no one is "losing power" they just aren't gaining power throughout the powerband like they should. Some people, myself included lost less than 2 whp in the upper RPM range yet they made power down low. So your rant about your "do nothing" box was pretty useless. I guess you'll be left looking for a place to stick your "Nada-Chip"; I could give a suggestion although the "optional salsa" might make it a little messy.

You seemed pretty worked up over your $600 purchase...

If you were so confident in all of this, perhaps you wouldn't act like an infant and relating everything through your own myopic view.

Seriously, if your happy with your performance -- great. There are just more options for people to try.

OTOH, at least everyone can have a long hard look at the warranty, and if they don't have the brain power to figure out that they are basically going to be in for the "duration" and going to be "stuck" working until it works -- or until they are willing to indeed spend enough money on another chip, they have basically "dumped" their cash if they are not satisfied.

So, if you look at MattG, he looks like he got some serious bang for the buck.

However, there are others that now have to prove that "something" else makes more power by a) researching it, b) testing it, c) running dynos, and d) spending tons of time to prove to the vendor that they have "met" the warranty.

The warranty looks like something that a “crooked used car dealer” should be using to sell messed-up cars. But, as they say, let the buyer beware… (they should have read the warranty and realized that if things didn’t go right, they would have to be willing to go the long haul or just kiss the $600 goodbye if they didn’t have the stamina to go the distance.)

Some people are happy -- and some other folks are spending a lot of time and money doing "beta" work.

Not everyone is getting stellar results.

Tell me it isn’t so...

I've now presented a firm grasp of the obvious.

If you would like to demonstrate some more ignorance with some misplaced wrath, be my guest. Your tone makes you sound like you work for them at this point and any opposing view that reflects anything other than YOUR Pollyanna-esqe view of some members woes is an idiot.

I certainly didn't say that they aren't trying, are want the item to fail, or that it should NOT have been offered. However:

I think you've got too much habanera sauce stuck up your butt-hole and need to calm down.

Not everyone is willing to spend $600 on an item with shaky results and lack of user applicable mapping software. At the very worst, the user could always store a "default" map to return the unit to "stock"/"factory" settings if they indeed wanked-up the ECUs tables up badly and could then feel free to try again to get the map they need. (They also could easily supply a protected default map that would allow a user to return to factory settings. We’re talking about a few lines of code.)

IMO, part of the problem is the lack of foresight on UNICHIP's part for not supplying field programming gear to allow more testing and modifications ACROSS the entire US (and other regions).

When you reply as such, you appear to be a complete idiot with lack of compassion and feeling for some of the other people that are not having "much luck" with the unit(s) at the moment...
Old 07-28-2004 | 04:57 PM
Not Asian

I don't think that was the update I was looking for.
Old 07-28-2004 | 05:01 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Originally Posted by Ant7701
They should sell us the software!!!!!I would absolutely love to have the software for tuning the uni-chip on a PDA. or if not sell the software they should sell handheld controllers w/ the software uploaded and locked in so members like us can purchase them for a profit to THEM and tune as we please on ANY dyno!!!!!

I'm DEAD BALLS SERIOUS about this. Does anyone think this could be possible w/ some finese talking to Jack???It would make perfect sense....I'd buy one and then they would have NO MORE PROBLEMS FROM ME. They won't lose anymore money by shipping me kit after kit and they could move on to another project.

and BTW...the winter shit is really starting to piss me off!!!Next time I talk to Jack I'm gonna mention that.

I talked to him and he said no.

However, anything is possible. Perhaps if you can work out an agreement and explain that there were no downsides, you could prevail.

You might try to "proffer" an agreement that gives them clear access and rights to any tables (maps) you make that get you working and making power; they could be handed back to Jack along with a complete set of dyno graphs and your car's current configuration. You could also offer to be sign a confidentiality agreement regarding various features

At the worst, you give it your best shot and make the case of what would be in their best self interest.

After all, if the people that are NOT having good results could be "fixed-up", what would that do for sales?

Old 07-28-2004 | 05:17 PM
Team Owner

The only reason I'm "worked up" is from the very beginning people like you, who did not participate in this endeavor, have done nothing but post negative comments about UniChip and the product they offer. It's almost like a group of you would feel joy from seeing this fail. Your sarcastic post about the "Nada-Chip" was uncalled for and not necessary.

So, if you look at MattG, he looks like he got some serious bang for the buck.
His car also runs a different map than the rest of the members who received the chip. His car, like mine, received custom tuning. That's really beside the point.

However, there are others that now have to prove that "something" else makes more power by a) researching it, b) testing it, c) running dynos, and d) spending tons of time to prove to the vendor that they have "met" the warranty.
How else could you prove the UniChip or any modification does what it claims other than research, tests, etc? Prior to the UniChip's debut there was no other ECU controller available for the CL/TL Type-S. Remember? And it doesn't cost ANY MONEY to figure out if the chip isn't working. If you plug in the chip and get a CEL, you need to get an adjustment. If you plug in the chip and hear knock or ping, you need an adjustment; simple as that.

Not everyone is getting stellar results.
Tell me it isn’t so...
I've now presented a firm grasp of the obvious.
Where did I ever dispute this?

Not everyone is willing to spend $600 on an item with shaky results and lack of user applicable mapping software. At the very worst, the user could always store a "default" map to return the unit to "stock"/"factory" settings if they indeed wanked-up the ECUs tables up badly and could then feel free to try again to get the map they need. (They also could easily supply a protected default map that would allow a user to return to factory settings. We’re talking about a few lines of code.)
None of this information was withheld prior to the purchase of the UniChip. If they did not feel happy with end-user functions of the UniChip they did not have to send in their $100 deposit. The fact that some people, myself included, had problems is disappointing; although UniChip is taking the right direction in correcting these unforeseeable mishaps.

IMO, part of the problem is the lack of foresight on UNICHIP's part for not supplying field programming gear to allow more testing and modifications ACROSS the entire US (and other regions).
UniChip can't force vendors to purchase the equipment or to go through the training to tune cars with the UniChip. Obviously they have a marketing staff that handles this area of the business though. Currently UniChip has distributors in 41 countries and over 130 dealers in the United States, I don't see how they are lacking the supply of "field programming gear."

If you would like to demonstrate some more ignorance with some misplaced wrath, be my guest. Your tone makes you sound like you work for them at this point and any opposing view that reflects anything other than YOUR Pollyanna-esqe view of some members woes is an idiot.
I wouldn't call my optimism "Pollyana-esqe"; it is foolish by no means. Through a UniChip dealer my UniChip is now working properly. UniChip knows what the problem is and is actively working on a solution.

When you reply as such, you appear to be a complete idiot with lack of compassion and feeling for some of the other people that are not having "much luck" with the unit(s) at the moment...
I would bet half of the members of the group buy have yet to install their UniChips yet a few have come out to voice their concerns on whether or not the UniChip is going to cause them problems or do as it is supposed to. If they haven't even taken the time to install the UniChip why waste the time questioning the performance of their unit? There is no way to tell one without doing the other.
Old 07-28-2004 | 05:21 PM
Team Owner

They should sell us the software!!!!!I would absolutely love to have the software for tuning the uni-chip on a PDA. or if not sell the software they should sell handheld controllers w/ the software uploaded and locked in so members like us can purchase them for a profit to THEM and tune as we please on ANY dyno!!!!!

I'm DEAD BALLS SERIOUS about this. Does anyone think this could be possible w/ some finese talking to Jack???It would make perfect sense....I'd buy one and then they would have NO MORE PROBLEMS FROM ME. They won't lose anymore money by shipping me kit after kit and they could move on to another project.

and BTW...the winter shit is really starting to piss me off!!!Next time I talk to Jack I'm gonna mention that.

I would think this would void all warrantys offered by UniChip.
Old 07-28-2004 | 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by EL_CLS
I talked to him and he said no.

Were you apart of this Group Buy ?
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:01 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

The only reason I'm "worked up" is from the very beginning people like you, who did not participate in this endeavor, have done nothing but post negative comments about UniChip and the product they offer. It's almost like a group of you would feel joy from seeing this fail. Your sarcastic post about the "Nada-Chip" was uncalled for and not necessary.

I guess a mans sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest. I guess if I don't buy an header I can't make comments about it. And, if I offer both negative and postive comments, your perception lets you only see the negative.

You keep harping on the "... feel joy from seeing this fail" issue and fail to forget that there are people who ARE TRYING to get their stuff working and are having difficulty. You seem to have some perceptual difficulties here.

It would be nice to see more options (I've said this) and it's not my fault that UniChip is shooting themselves in the foot by not providing user manuals and other tools that allow individuals without a direct association to program the unit.

In my little world I call this a suggestion, and if they don't want to do this, fine, it's their company and their toys. Unfortanatly, there is a good possiblity that some creative people might just be able to program the chip and there is no good reason to not let people do this. Engine management piggy-backs and add-ons are old news and interface software does NOT require any internal/propriatory hacks that they use to be "displayed" to the programmer/end-user.

Does that make sense to you? Do you finally get it?

When I talked to them, they didn't claim that they didn't want to distribute the software due to incompetence issues, they claimed:

1. That by letting end users use the software they would just cause more problems.

2. That their software was propriatary and would cause them to loose business if they allowed users to have the software.

His car also runs a different map than the rest of the members who received the chip. His car, like mine, received custom tuning. That's really beside the point.

No, that is were you have perceptual difficulties. When you create an add-on chip, you are basically assuming that everyone is going to be using a set of fixed map. There is no wideband O2 sensor to pull the loop in, and there is only a finite set of maps they can predict.

The fact that it works for some people is relevant. The thread wouldn't be over 20 pages long if everyone had their cars' tossing diag codes.

You completely blow off a postive comment I made about how SOME folks are befitting with the mod. But, in your hopeless view, you insist on only seeing what you want to see -- NEGATIVE. IOW, any critisizm and/or discussions that isn't a "pro-forma" butt-lick of UniChip is "negative."

How else could you prove the UniChip or any modification does what it claims other than research, tests, etc? Prior to the UniChip's debut there was no other ECU controller available for the CL/TL Type-S. Remember? And it doesn't cost ANY MONEY to figure out if the chip isn't working. If you plug in the chip and get a CEL, you need to get an adjustment. If you plug in the chip and hear knock or ping, you need an adjustment; simple as that.

Look you either make a warranty that offers the users a money back warranty without proviso, or you lock them in a real clever way. That warranty looks like something I'd find on a FTC or BBB site as what to look out for if you never want to see your money back.

Be realistic: you'd have to need brain surgery to spend so much money as to try and get your money back with that warranty.

As for any other chip being available at the time, fine. If they were concerned that they were going to be in over the heads, the warranty sure goes along way of demonstrating that point. If they were NOT concerned about their ability to prevail, they would just offer their money back and that would be the end of it. But, this is old news and the warranty in force at the time of the group buy is the one people agreed to. So, caveat emptor...

None of this information was withheld prior to the purchase of the UniChip. If they did not feel happy with end-user functions of the UniChip they did not have to send in their $100 deposit. The fact that some people, myself included, had problems is disappointing; although UniChip is taking the right direction in correcting these unforeseeable mishaps.

There is an implied warranty with regard to functionality. As to the legal issues, I'll let someone else waste their time.

Of course, if they figure all of this out, no one would waste anytime and it would be like other mods that seem to work out pretty well with some minor exceptions.

UniChip can't force vendors to purchase the equipment or to go through the training to tune cars with the UniChip. Obviously they have a marketing staff that handles this area of the business though. Currently UniChip has distributors in 41 countries and over 130 dealers in the United States, I don't see how they are lacking the supply of "field programming gear."

Well, I can sure comment on interface issues. Do you realize that it is not that difficult or expensive to add a bridge chip to handle USB, serial, and myriad other protocalls. So, the field gear of choise, these days, for a ton of gear is "A LAPTOP." Hell, you don't even need a Pentium.

You simply supply a manual and if the user can't figure it out, they default to "protected map." Does that make sense to you?

IOW, if you are too clumsy to improve on the A/F, timing, or any other issues, you revert to a "safe"/"protected" map that is write protected.

I would bet half of the members of the group buy have yet to install their UniChips yet a few have come out to voice their concerns on whether or not the UniChip is going to cause them problems or do as it is supposed to. If they haven't even taken the time to install the UniChip why waste the time questioning the performance of their unit? There is no way to tell one without doing the other.

Can you blame them?

You'd need rocks for brains to see that a number of rather intelligent people are hanging-up their daily drivers. So, this is just like any supply-demand/commodities issue. If everyone who tried it, said, "Hey, this thing was so easy .. and I got 5 HP" everyone who was hesitating due to technical dread would have the sucker installed. I could give you 80,000 analogies about different products and acceptance that all revolved around "user acceptance." At this moment in time, UniChip doesn't have the answers and people are going to have to plan accordingly. A why not wait for a better map approach is certainly not foolhardy if a person is busy enough to not want to be tossing error codes and running around chasing down the UniChip folks for answers. Now add in the number of people that are not "happy" and thrilled to be diagnosing problems and being "de facto" beta testers and you've figured out why people are going to take a "wait and see" approach.

You got yours to work. You should try putting yourself in the position of someone who is looking at this from outside and STOP just telling people that they are negative or assholes for trying to look at some of the other sides of what's going on here.

IMO, if UniChip can write the warranty they did that you presented above, they can sure write one that can tell the end-user that they are responsible for any engine damage caused by faulty user-supplied data. Everything is a balance. As for damaging the unit -- please, you are NOT going to damage a chunk of non-volatile memory by programming. Even the programming software can contain a set of backup maps.
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:07 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

A part or "apart"

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Were you apart of this Group Buy ?

If you mean was a "a part" of the group buy: NO.

If you mean apart (as in separate) then: YES.

I wanted to find out what was involved in getting the programming software to allow the end user or local shop to program the unit and reduce dependence on unusual configurations, local fuel, altitude, and other factors that *could* influence its ability to perform well *and* be able to "grow" with additional modifications.
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:08 PM
Team Owner

^ How is your UniChip working?
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:17 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

^ How is your UniChip working?
Money isn't going anywhere for now....
Old 07-28-2004 | 06:27 PM
Team Owner

It would be nice to see more options (I've said this) and it's not my fault that UniChip is shooting themselves in the foot by not providing user manuals and other tools that allow individuals without a direct association to program the unit.
They have never done this on any of their other applications. Our cars are obviously very sensitive and can vary greatly from one to the next. How could UniChip have expected this to happen? All the cars they tested at their shop worked fine... others are having problems.

No, that is were you have perceptual difficulties. When you create an add-on chip, you are basically assuming that everyone is going to be using a set of fixed map. There is no wideband O2 sensor to pull the loop in, and there is only a finite set of maps they can predict.
Matt's chip is totally different that everyone elses... his set up runs N20 and the UniChip controls the delivery from the ZEX kit. Matt's car was at UniChip for a week or so and was fine tuned for his application. He has different modifications than other members of the groupbuy; nothing major that would cause great differences (besides N20) but his chip is much different. In tuning Matt's car I'm sure they started with the baseline map from Brian's car and tweaked it for Matt. Adjustments in fuel delivery can be made every 300 rpm I believe. Comparing Matt's results to everyone else's doesn't seem to make sense.

Well, I can sure comment on interface issues. Do you realize that it is not that difficult or expensive to add a bridge chip to handle USB, serial, and myriad other protocalls. So, the field gear of choise, these days, for a ton of gear is "A LAPTOP." Hell, you don't even need a Pentium.
Ugh... yes actually I do realize this. The UniChip is tuned by using "A LAPTOP."

You simply supply a manual and if the user can't figure it out, they default to "protected map." Does that make sense to you?
Supplying software along with the UniChip package would most definitely increase the cost of the unit. A cost that would most likely exceed the cost of having a UniChip dealer custom tune the chip. Much easier for a UniChip dealer to tune the chip on a dyno than have the end user do it himself plus pay for dyno rental fees. Does that make sense to YOU?

You got yours to work. You should try putting yourself in the position of someone who is looking at this from outside and STOP just telling people that they are negative or assholes for trying to look at some of the other sides of what's going on here.
I got mine to work through a custom tune yes. I could have sent the chip back to Jack and he would have went back and added more fuel to the mixture to reduce the lean condition; all free of charge. I was unaware until I had my inital dyno performed that there was a UniChip dealer so close to me. If I would have known that from the beginning I would have had the chip programmed there from the beginning. I don't think i've called anyone an asshole yet, but you are testing the waters.

How would you like the warranty to read? "Install the chip, drive around for a week, and if you don't like it send it back." This isn't a Dirt Devil Vaccum, try and see what Comptech or AEM says when you call and say "I installed my intake about a week ago and I was expecting 15 horsepower but I don't feel it."

On a side note, is it possible for you to not triple space between your paragraphs? It makes it more difficult to read and takes up way too much space in the thread.
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:22 PM
///M POWER

ok i just got the re maped chip in today

first impressions:

car pulled pretty good for being 80 degress out, but i could of swore i heard some knock through vtec in 2nd gear, maybe i am just being paranoid about it though

but overall i ant say there is any gains yet, i will have to drive around a lil more tonight

but i really dont feel like spending another 100 to check if this chip is really working, thats why i regreting ever getting in on this GB
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:29 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

They have never done this on any of their other applications. Our cars are obviously very sensitive and can vary greatly from one to the next. How could UniChip have expected this to happen? All the cars they tested at their shop worked fine... others are having problems.
The cars are very sensitive with THE UNICHIP. Obviously there is something going on with their programming. And, this gets back to finding a root cause.

What do you want to help you with finding out what's wrong? More options or less options?

Matt's chip is totally different that everyone elses... his set up runs N20 and the UniChip controls the delivery from the ZEX kit. Matt's car was at UniChip for a week or so and was fine tuned for his application. He has different modifications than other members of the groupbuy; nothing major that would cause great differences (besides N20) but his chip is much different. In tuning Matt's car I'm sure they started with the baseline map from Brian's car and tweaked it for Matt. Adjustments in fuel delivery can be made every 300 rpm I believe. Comparing Matt's results to everyone else's doesn't seem to make sense.
Yes, I know what Matt has runing -- OK?

The fact is, it is working well. That makes for one interesting and very simple observation -- they tuned and tweaked the map.

Does that get to the heart of the matter or what?

UniChip is tuned by using "A LAPTOP."
Glad you realized this... No Cray mainframe or custom silicon necessary. Don't even need a small plutionium powered reactor to get it up and running -- hey?

Supplying software along with the UniChip package would most definitely increase the cost of the unit. A cost that would most likely exceed the cost of having a UniChip dealer custom tune the chip. Much easier for a UniChip dealer to tune the chip on a dyno than have the end user do it himself plus pay for dyno rental fees. Does that make sense to YOU?
Ok, so if I send you some compression software I have, how much do you think it costs me to send it to you? How about zero dollars.

If you think that they are going to spend too much money on http or ftp downloads *or* think that the buring a CD is really expensive, I've got some more parts to sell you.

Software -- once it is developed and sold "AS IS" -- costs nothing from that point on. If you support it, market it, and or update it, that is something entirely different.

Please toss the software is expensive argument out the window.

I got mine to work through a custom tune yes. I could have sent the chip back to Jack and he would have went back and added more fuel to the mixture to reduce the lean condition; all free of charge. I was unaware until I had my inital dyno performed that there was a UniChip dealer so close to me. If I would have known that from the beginning I would have had the chip programmed there from the beginning. I don't think i've called anyone an asshole yet, but you are testing the waters.
Well, let's see. I've made some simple arguments about what can be done *and* debunked a number of your premises, and that merits some threat about calling me an asshole. I guess this follows the same thread and if anyone has some “tough” questions or challenges your premises, they are “in for it.”

Yes, I've looked over the thread, and am quite aware of what's in there. And, I would presume that there would be a number of people that would be "assisted" if they had only had a problem with A/F errors and weren't throwing MIL lamps and having "strange" problems with the PNP harness.

So, you have just made yet another case for the software being available *or* at least having someone close to a dyno shop that has the software.

Look, if you are the one facing a lose-lose situation, what's the harm in giving someone the option of using the software "AT THEIR OWN RISK?"

How would you like the warranty to read? "Install the chip, drive around for a week, and if you don't like it send it back." This isn't a Dirt Devil Vaccum, try and see what Comptech or AEM says when you call and say "I installed my intake about a week ago and I was expecting 15 horsepower but I don't feel it."
Well, I'm just waiting to see how you are if and when you have a problem with your car? And, I'll be interested in seeing how you respond if and when you have some other issues?

Warranty Analogy time (here is one they might consider if they build homes):

"If the buyer of this house finds another house with more problems, cracks, leaks, and or other problems, they may seek remedy for their problems. HOWEVER, unless they can prove that the new replacement house they’ve purchased is worse than the current one, they agree to hold UniHome harmless for any problems they encounter."

Shall I continue?

You want to draw the line, fine.

What's acceptable?

5 HP, 0 HP, area under the curve > 3%, peace of mind, no more tranquilizers, no bridge jumping?

On a side note, is it possible for you to not triple space between your paragraphs? It makes it more difficult to read and takes up way too much space in the thread.
Ok, just to save some virtual space (LFs or CR/LFs), I've reverted to the standard editor. Be sure not to use the WSIWIG editor anytime soon or the "triple space" police will come a'nocking?
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, I'm ending this feud here and now..

This thread is for the purpose of everyone with a UniChip to get updates til we get things resolved.. People cluttering the thread with arguments and/or discussions can take it to PM or start a new thread.. But STOP..
Old 07-28-2004 | 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to add a bit about releasing their software. As many know I have the GReddy E-manage running in my car but that is a different story being forced induced.

What is relative is that the software and interconnect cable is available. It isn't free as GReddy must be proud of their cable; about $130 for the set. Also, initially they didn't want to release this to anyone other than dealers. But after pressure, common sense and conversion to English (from Japanese and still isn't 100%) kicked in it became available.

Now, with complete turbo, etc. kits that GReddy sells they password protect the program. However, for simple use and tuning anyone can do it. And guess what, there is a big disclaimer in the manual and in the software stating that engine damage can occur if not properly used. Heck, you can kill the engine with the VAFC too.

The software costs are done, there may be cable costs but that can also become a profit center. I highly doubt that a dealer undergoes extensive training, if any, on implementing the Unichip. In fact, there may be some individuals who are better suited at tuning the unit. I wonder if it is more about market capitalization rather than risk??
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:19 PM
Team Owner

The cars are very sensitive with THE UNICHIP. Obviously there is something going on with their programming. And, this gets back to finding a root cause.
Not exactly true, my car dyno'd a full point LEANER in stock trim than Brian's or Matt's car. I'd be willing to bet other cars are running just a lean in stock trim... actually this has been verified by the dynos they have submitted. Thus, if the UniChip leans the A/F out around 2 full points or more, adding 2 points to my A/F is too lean. Adding 1 to 1.5 points is much more along the lines of what my engine needed to make more power.
Old 07-28-2004 | 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Remember the Toyota Tundra Group Buy that slowed ours up? Well I tracked down the guy who ran the group buy and asked him about their experiences with the UniChip.

Hi Steve,

I ran the group buy, and also was a test truck for mapping. Out of 45 persons I've only heard one person claim power loss, and he is has a 1/4 time to back it up. He is at high altitude (6500ft) and is running a K&N intake that only 2 others are....so we are considering this an unique isolated case. There are however other issues....and many of these IMO are the result of Jack operating from memory and not taking notes....right up to the price he attemted to charge AFTER there was an agreement in place...in writting.

I like Jack, and most are very satisfied with results....they could avoid many issues with better organisational skills....thats my main complaint.

There are many different configs with this group buy, 2 different harnesses, Supercharger modules with 9th injector and pop off valve on 00-02 and 9th and 10th on 03-04....on and on. Their job was difficult....all in all I give a B+ to A-.

Kevin
Old 07-28-2004 | 11:21 PM
Team Owner

Another Toyota Tundra UniChip member. He is running a S/C with his UniChip and making excellent power:

I started the Unichip deal with Jack and worked with him very closley from start to finish. I too find Jack to be a very nice, friendy and honest person. The Tundra Unichip offering was a very long process. A PnP harness was made and SEVERAL year and types of trucks were mapped. Jack and Tony too extra care to map as best they could. The maps were for a large offering, so I guess a bit of caution was built into the maps. I have not had any lean condition nor has anyone I have spoken to. The major problems were tranny shift points were off due to the improper clamp frequency being programmed. Jack promptly addressed the situation and corrected it free of charge. We too have a few radical bomb throwers and words were tossed. I tried to calm them down as best I couls without getting into a flame word war. You know what I mean. So, to answer your question, no... there is no lean / retard condition on the Tundra offering. I am pleased and eventually will go for a custom tune, but for now.. I am happy. I am in the early stages of getting my Truck ready to sell, and will be getting a G35 coupe and Jack will be doing a custom tune on that one! I guess I can not leave well enuf alone!

Please, keep in touch and let me know what happens or if I can be of more assistance!

Sincerely,
Scott Davis
SCDTRD
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:12 AM
Sweet as Gold

Originally Posted by scalbert
Just to add a bit about releasing their software. As many know I have the GReddy E-manage running in my car but that is a different story being forced induced.

What is relative is that the software and interconnect cable is available. It isn't free as GReddy must be proud of their cable; about $130 for the set. Also, initially they didn't want to release this to anyone other than dealers. But after pressure, common sense and conversion to English (from Japanese and still isn't 100%) kicked in it became available.

Now, with complete turbo, etc. kits that GReddy sells they password protect the program. However, for simple use and tuning anyone can do it. And guess what, there is a big disclaimer in the manual and in the software stating that engine damage can occur if not properly used. Heck, you can kill the engine with the VAFC too.

The software costs are done, there may be cable costs but that can also become a profit center. I highly doubt that a dealer undergoes extensive training, if any, on implementing the Unichip. In fact, there may be some individuals who are better suited at tuning the unit. I wonder if it is more about market capitalization rather than risk??

Exactly...all I want is to be satisfied. not even 100% satisfied. i'll settle for being 75% right now but I'm not happy one bit about the chip. If Jack has admitted that for one reason or another that our cars are extremely sensitive, HOW WOULD A BASE MAP FOR EVERYONE WORK?????. It's impossible and this ain't gonna stop until everyone either gets tired of fighting w/ them or everyone gets a custom tune. AND as for releasing the software...I don't even want the software. I just want some sort of handheld pre-programmed controller. Whats gonna happen when winter gas comes along. Or when I do a valve adjustment???I know...drive 2 hours away to spend $200 for a custom tune. get the fuck outta here. Uni-chip should realize this and realize it now. I'll tell u one thing though....in my situation...THEY HAVE ONE LAST CHANCE TO MAKE IT RIGHT!!!!!!FOR GOOD!!!!!Or else I will be getting my money back. TRUST ME. I don't care what the warranty says or not. that wasn't presented to us in the orig group buy thread. All that was told to us was 8-12 whp THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RPM BAND!!!!!!!So we all sent in $100 and got locked in from there. We had no hard core information on what we were getting in to. And for them to say we have to prove that another ecu makes more power....how can we do that if there isn't another one available for the CL-S???Makes no sense huh???

Anyways....not to jump into the fight between Mrsteve and EL CLs but steve...remember when u got ur first dyno after the uni-chip. Remember how pissed u were that u lost power and was running lean. Well thats how I've felt for a month now. And i don't see it getting any better.

Scalbert...Steve...hows the e-manage testing going. Cause it looks like I'll be heading that way soon
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Anyways....not to jump into the fight between Mrsteve and EL CLs but steve...remember when u got ur first dyno after the uni-chip. Remember how pissed u were that u lost power and was running lean. Well thats how I've felt for a month now. And i don't see it getting any better.

Scalbert...Steve...hows the e-manage testing going. Cause it looks like I'll be heading that way soon

I understand 100%... it sucks. I went with the custom tune becuase if I would have know a UniChip dealer was so close, I would have done the custom tune from the get-go. It SUCKS ASS that the UniChip hasn't provided what was originally offered, but why is it that some cars are so much more lean than other? Makes no sense to me, we all have the same ECU.

I emailed Jack tonight and asked him to explain what was changed on the new map. I'm waiting for a reply.

I don't want you guys to think that just because I got a custom tune I alienated you guys who are having problems.

One thing though... after all the different cars UniChip has tuned without this problem, how could they have anticipated this problem with ours? We don't really even know what the problem is 100% Sucks...
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:24 AM
///M POWER

if 1 member proves that the e-man makes more power can all of us get a refund or just the 1
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:26 AM
Sweet as Gold

Originally Posted by darrinb
if 1 member proves that the e-man makes more power can all of us get a refund or just the 1

Old 07-29-2004 | 12:29 AM
///M POWER

whats soo funny
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:32 AM
Team Owner

Well considering Matt and Brian made great power with the UniChip I'd doubt 1 member's gains with another system would justify a full, blanket refund to everyone.
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:34 AM
///M POWER

i have had the new map in for about half a day now, i think there actually might be some gains on this map but i think it still needs a custom tune
Old 07-29-2004 | 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

I still need to send my chip back for the new map and then hopefully get the custom tune done at the same place as Steve..
Old 07-29-2004 | 10:39 AM
Revving at 9K...

Originally Posted by darrinb
i have had the new map in for about half a day now, i think there actually might be some gains on this map but i think it still needs a custom tune
Instead of doing it on Dyno, why not take it to the track and do it? If I recall, you take your cars to the tracks quite often, and you should be a consistent enough driver to come up with some decent results that people can make reference to.

In your area, how many runs can you get in from start to finish?

Because if you get lucky, maybe you can have a few warm up runs, and then run the car 2 or 3 passes with Chip, then pull it and run it again.
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:13 PM
Liquid Ice

I still need to send my chip back for the new map and then hopefully get the custom tune done at the same place as Steve..
Maybe we can do a 'group custom tune' and get a discount Anyone else interested? You'd have to be near the DC area.
Old 07-29-2004 | 12:59 PM
Audi S4 driver

if your going to get a custom tune anyway .. why bother sending it back for the new map?

I just spoke with Jack I will be sending my chip out to him today for a new map based on the dyno I sent him. I will probably not be paying to dyno this map unless I have some extra cash in the next few weeks but that is unlikely .. I will probably just go by butt dyno and take the car to the track.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:07 PM
Not Asian

^^I think blader is on the right track. Just compare your track times, pre- and post-Unichip. This will reveal the truth.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:15 PM
Audi S4 driver

yes phipark, I think this may be the best way. Since alot of the power is gained through the band and not really a peak number, I think the gains of the chip will be shown much more on a track slip than a dyno chart. Check your trap speeds, 60fts, and ETs. I think it'll give us a better idea.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blader
if your going to get a custom tune anyway .. why bother sending it back for the new map?
I guess you didn't read my other posts. lol

The chip at the moment is not driveable.. I get CELs around the 5000 rpm range consistently 1st through 3rd gear.. Also my car has a dying hesitation at idle.. I can't get a custom tune/dyno and risk the chip messing up the engine..
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:19 PM
Audi S4 driver

I did read them, slipped my mind.

The first time I installed the chip, I did not get the dying hesitation at idle. Then I took the chip out for about a week, reinstalled it, and now coming to a stop at a light sometimes it will idle rough and then jump right back up. Or when I'm idling and the A\C is cycling on and off, when it cycles off it will idle rough then kick back up.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Maybe we can do a 'group custom tune' and get a discount Anyone else interested? You'd have to be near the DC area.

I'm down.. I'll be going sometime this next month after I send and get the chip back.. I'll be going to the same location Steve went to.. A three hour drive for me but that's ok..
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:27 PM
Audi S4 driver

I'm not trying to start anything .. but I want to share what the tuner who dynoe'd my car said about Altered Atmosphere, the shop that steve had his car tuned at.

When I mentioned getting a custom tune he said I think there is a shop up in Long Island that will do unichip tunes, and I said I think theres one down in maryland also, he asked the name, I said altered atmosphere and he just shook his head. Hes like take my advice, Dont Go There. I asked why and he said they've blown more motors from improper tuning than he knows what to do with. He actually said that all the personal vehicles of the people who work at Altered Atmosphere who need tuning are sent to him to be tuned .......

again, I am not trying to start anything, I just wanted to share what I've been told.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the heads up. Interestingly though, Jack and Tony from UniChip knew the guy by name who did my tune and said only let him touch it because he's the one who knows what to do.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting.....

Just trying to get closer to 5,000 posts..
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Interesting.....

Just trying to get closer to 5,000 posts..

y0u @r3 teh wh0r3

Quick Reply: Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......