Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

*** THIS THREAD IS FOR OWNERS OF THE UNICHIP***

Sorry to anyone who I closed your thread on but it's unreasonable to have 6 different UniChip threads at once.. Please use this one instead and let the others fall off..

Original GB Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130150

Steves Dyno Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145428

Ant's Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145605

Juice's Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145765

Juice's Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145764

JZ's Thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145614
Old 06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Ant, in reply to your last post:

I wouldn't demand to have it personally tuned. I'm paying out of pocket to have mine done. Once mine is tuned we will see what direction Uni-Chip takes to please all of us. They guarantee their work and I can assure you everything will be fixed to your liking. There are most definitely gas differences (I think all they get in OR is 92 octane), sea level changes, atmosphere changes, etc, etc. These problems could not be worked out prior to the release of the chip; it is just impossible to duplicate these conditions. I'm sure they will learn alot from my tuning. I plan to get it done tomorrow afternoon. I will post the results of course.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ Good news Steve. I'm right above you in Pittsburgh so hopefully I can use the same map as yours..
Old 06-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Team Owner

^^ You act like we didn't just discuss this over AIM. post whore.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Beware of leakage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
^^ You act like we didn't just discuss this over AIM. post whore.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
hey mrsteve-- where are you getting your dyno done? I'm kindof concerned about this, and considering getting a dyno+unichip tune done. My car hasn't shown any problems like Ant's car, and it feels much stronger when I'm not WOT, especially in the mid-range (now that the ECU has adjusted I guess), but it does feel slower under WOT than when I'm just applying the gas halfway or so...

Hopefully you'll see some good results from the dyno tuning and maybe Unichip will even offer us East Coast people a free re-flash (hopefully they'll also pay for your dyno tuning). Otherwise all of us will have to fork over more $$$ to get our chips fixed
Old 06-28-2004, 08:51 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Is there a minimum octane gas we need before Map B does us any good? I haven't tried Map B at all yet.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro

Is everyone going to have to get a damn dyno to prove that this thing is working? I sure hope not!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nitin
Is there a minimum octane gas we need before Map B does us any good? I haven't tried Map B at all yet.
100 octane is reccomended to prevent detonation, aka "knock"

For you guys who seem faster at 1/2 throttle and slower at WOT i'm assuming you are running lean as well. When you go WOT the ECU is detecting knock due to the increase in air and decrease in fuel and severely retarding the timing. According to my dyno, I was actually making more power (marginally more power) up until Vtec kicks in. When Vtec hits I lost power. We will know alot more tomorrow when I go back to Altered Atmosphere Motorsports, Inc. in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

- LiQiCE my computer froze when you sent me your PM... i'll get back to you.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Has been sold for a while

Originally Posted by juice
Is everyone going to have to get a damn dyno to prove that this thing is working? I sure hope not!
It seems now like each unit will probably require it's own dyno tune.?.?... which wasn't part of the original simple design unichip was pushing to us. They probably already had an idea that a few maps wouldn't work with all customers cars/gas types...Seems shady to me. I hope all of this is resolved or at least Unichip pays for everyone to drive to a authorized Unichip tune shop for re-mapping.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

After talking to Uni-Chip I definitely know they aren't "shady." Although I was angry after my inital dyno I'm come to my senses and realized that there is no way they could have known our cars were this sensitive to atmospheric, gas, temp, humidity, sea level, etc. factors. They designed an awesome product based upon the data they had from the two cars they had. Now that the chip is released on the East Coast things are going to change. I doubt they have ever done a mass produced (if you can all 35 mass produced, but lets do that for the sake of my argument) product for a Vtec motor with such high compression. Let's wait another day or two before we cast any more judgement on the final product. I will have MANY MANY answer to questions tomorrow after my tune.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL
It seems now like each unit will probably require it's own dyno tune.?.?... which wasn't part of the original simple design unichip was pushing to us. They probably already had an idea that a few maps wouldn't work with all customers cars/gas types...Seems shady to me. I hope all of this is resolved or at least Unichip pays for everyone to drive to a authorized Unichip tune shop for re-mapping.
I sure hope that we don't have to put anything up out of pocket. We were supposed to be able to plug this thing in and forget about it! Mine is still in the box waiting to see what comes of all of this. I still think that UniChip is a great company and hopefully they will clear all of this up without us having to pay for anything else. The only thing that scares me is that none is posting any good stories. Some like it at half throttle and not WOT, and vice versa.

Is anyone 100% satified? Does anyone have a dyno, other than the UC one, that shows results?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 PM
///M POWER

samer007 was actually telling me months ago that the chip might not work due to the same reasons u stated steve, i guess he was right
Old 06-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juice
I sure hope that we don't have to put anything up out of pocket. We were supposed to be able to plug this thing in and forget about it! Mine is still in the box waiting to see what comes of all of this. I still think that UniChip is a great company and hopefully they will clear all of this up without us having to pay for anything else. The only thing that scares me is that none is posting any good stories. Some like it at half throttle and not WOT, and vice versa.

Is anyone 100% satified? Does anyone have a dyno, other than the UC one, that shows results?

I have a dyno juice, and the results were poor. I was running way too lean. This dyno has helped us come to the conclusion of what is wrong with the programmed fuel maps. I will be paying out of pocket for my custom re-mapping. Once I see the changes, most definitely for the better, we will see where UniChip wants to go from there. I'm sure once Altered Atmosphere figures out what's wrong they will report back to UniChip on the West Coast and this will all be resolved quickly. I could have my chip sent back to UniChip and they would fix it for free, although they would not have my car to test it with. SO, I'll be doing everyone on the East Coast who are having problems a favor by getting this custom tune done. TRUST me when I say after talking to UniChip twice today and talking to Altered Atmosphere everything will be taken care of soon. Just hold your horses. I recommend un-installing your UniChips in the meantime though if you feel you are running sluggish in the upper RPMs or under full throttle and are worried about detonation, etc. 14.6 A/F ratio isn't exactly good
Old 06-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
nobody is shady at unichip. they want everyone to be happy and i hope in the end everyone will be. to say they haven't done their homework on our cars would be incorrect. they have spent more than 2 weeks tuning Brians and my cl-s. i'm not sure how they could have forseen these problems.

btw mrsteve, Jack said my a/f ratio was right around 12.8
Old 06-28-2004, 10:37 PM
///M POWER

i wouldnt pay to have my chip re-mapped, i would expect uni chip to cover that
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

i would expect that too
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 PM
///M POWER

i talked to todd today, there is a place like 23 min away from me that is a uni chip dist, they can re map it for me if i ever need to.

btw, the guys @ uni-chip are very helpful, it seems like they are doing what ever it takes to satisfy the a-cl customers
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattg
btw mrsteve, Jack said my a/f ratio was right around 12.8
That is good to know. Tony told me the maximum he'd like to see it was around 13.2. I'm going to stop by Altered Atmosphere tomorrow and hopefully be able to get this process started. If they are too busy tomorrow I will make an appointment for this week.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

I just sent a lengthy email response to Jack explaining my issues, the issues of other members, and concerns regarding additional cost for getting the chip to run as expected. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Audi S4 driver

guys relax .. I'm sure its gonna be one of those things like steve will have to shell out the cash to get it retuned and then once unichip can figure out the problem, they can make an east coast map for all of us and then re-imburse steve and reflash our chips for free or something like that .. like steve has been stressing they are more than willing to work with us and resolve this problem. Just sit tight and wait for steves results from Altered Atmosphere tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

how about a little + rep for everyone in the thread.

except for Jonesy & darrin, i have to spread some around before i can hit you guys up again.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Sweet as Gold

OK...I just gave everyone in this thread above me some reputation!!! but one thing...when I left the comment box blank. Do I have to fill something out in there to fullfill the task cause no-ones rep counter got higher??

Ahhemmm....I expect some kind soul/s to help me out too
Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Sweet as Gold

Ohh and I was gonna call uni-chip up tommorow at work but I guess I'll wait to hear whats going on w/ MrSteve's new tune!!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:41 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

SO, I'll be doing everyone on the East Coast who are having problems a favor by getting this custom tune done. TRUST me when I say after talking to UniChip twice today and talking to Altered Atmosphere everything will be taken care of soon. Just hold your horses.
Sorry to hear that you guys are having to deal with this. Just like every new mod there is always some work/tuning to make it happen. Our cars unfortunately are not the bread and butter in the high performance world so any company willing to work with us is great.I think that it is pretty awesome that you are at least committed to make it work. Keep up the good work and I also look forward to the final results.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ant7701
Ohh and I was gonna call uni-chip up tommorow at work but I guess I'll wait to hear whats going on w/ MrSteve's new tune!!
Yep, I'm just sitting tight til we hear back from Steve..
Old 06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

I would also like to know if we are just looking at our A/F ratio.. Is there any other way to check it besides a dyno?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Revving at 9K...

Thanks for combining all the threads about Unichip, and it was good to see that the GB thread is finally closed after all these month.

I think after everything is all set and done, the unichip will be able to produce equal if not better results than what we got here on the west coast (92 oct).

Old 06-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLS2001_97124
Thanks for combining all the threads about Unichip, and it was good to see that the GB thread is finally closed after all these month.

I think after everything is all set and done, the unichip will be able to produce equal if not better results than what we got here on the west coast (92 oct).
You're welcome and I Really hope so..
Old 06-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

I just got back from Altered Atmopshere. I will be heading back over there at 4pm EST to get the car tuned. I am really hoping UniChip steps up and covers the cost to re-tune to car. Right now Altered Atmopshere can go in a do a global retune which will basically enrich the A/F across the powerband without specific tuning at a specified RPM, etc. This will cost me $200. For them to keep the car on the dyno and specifically tune the chip to get the most horsepower out of the car it will cost $285. I've opted to do the complete custom tuning.

Mike from Altered Atmopshere said that UniChip called him this morning to explain what was going on. I send Jack at UniChip a lengthy email stating that not all the members planned on dyno testing their cars following their chip install and no one anticipated the need for a custom tune. I also expressed that many members, on the East Coast who are not feeling a gain in power are considering returning their chip for a full refund. I would hope that UniChip steps up, takes responsibility for the re-tune, and then lets other members on the East Coast get their UniChip re-flashed with the Altered Atmosphere map. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice work steve... looking forward to your review after the tuning.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Who here would be willing to pay upwards of $200 to have their chips re-flashed.

I don't expect many "I would" answers. Just trying to get a feel for it.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Racer

i spoke with jack @ unichip yesterday to ask about a tuning shop in the milwaukee area, as i have followed the threads regarding this mod and fully expect i'll need to visit one for actual chip tuning.the nearest location is genisis racing development , naperville, illinois. (102 mi. 2+ hrs drive) my preference is to have a baseline dyno done with my existing mods then a second set of pulls done with the chip installed then further tuning done if the tuner believes more power is achieveable.this would allow for all dyno runs being comparable with "same day" atomospheric conditions. the only drawback to this scenario is the timing between baseline and chip install and tuning (doesnt allow for ecu self adjustment) - comments anyone?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Who here would be willing to pay upwards of $200 to have their chips re-flashed.

I don't expect many "I would" answers. Just trying to get a feel for it.
re-flashed = get the same results that were dyno'd on Brian's car? or possibly better?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Re-flashed to get the most out of the chip. AT LEAST what Brian's car put down, hopefully more after the tuning here on the East Coast. I'm going to take the first step and pay out of pocket to get this done, hopefully UniChip will make this right. I haven't heard back from Jack today.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't know what to do or think til UniChip, if they do, come out with some sort of statement.. But No I will Not pay another $285 to get what I expected..
Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok, Just got off the phone with Jack.. If anyone is not feeling the power they should contact Jack because he really wants to get us squared away and not let us down. With that said.. Jack thinks Steves' case is not the norm..

He doesn't think this is a east coast west coast situation.. I also mentioned our cars do have a transmission problem and that Acura did de-tune our ECU when they replace the tranny.. I am still on my original but if someone has any detailed info on what exactly they ECU changes were please post.. Although he doesn't feel that would have any affect unless there were major changes.

I was unaware of this part of it but UniChip did offer us a UniChip unprogrammed as part of the GB that would have been $100 less then the GB price for those of us that wanted every ounce of power out of our car and not a universal setup.

If you do have your car dyno'd save the data and if possible go to a authorized UniChip dealer so they can send them the mapping from the dyno.. We need to get some data back to them so they can analyze it and better improve the chip for us.. The MORE data the Better...!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm glad to see something is occuring and hope that progress continues to be made.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Ok, I just got my car back from the auto body shop so do I install the chip and see what happens or should I just wait and see what happens with mrsteve dyno and then call jack. I read that the a/f ratio was high and not good fro the engine so I am not sure if I should try it or not. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Jack was pretty confident that Steves case is the exception and not the rule.. I'm planning on installing mine when it comes. I was a little hesitant before but I'm not too worried now..

But I also plan on dyno'ing my car if I don't feel any gains within a couple days..

It just seems that when people first got the chip there were great reviews up until Steves Dyno.. Now I feel as if there might be failure hysteria..

Quick Reply: Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......