Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by polo
Ok, I just got my car back from the auto body shop so do I install the chip and see what happens or should I just wait and see what happens with mrsteve dyno and then call jack. I read that the a/f ratio was high and not good fro the engine so I am not sure if I should try it or not. Thanks for any help guys.

The chip is safe to run even if it makes the car run too lean. The ECU will see this lean condition and retard the timing to keep things on the safe side. Although you may lose power due to this. Or, your chip might be tuned perfectly for your car and you'll see gains. There really isn't any way to tell what is going on without hard numbers (aka dyno). Actually driving around real lean like that will improve your gas mileage

I'm leaving now to head to the shop. I re-installed the chip about an hour ago and drove around without going WOT except for one. It pulled to the redline like it usually does without the chip. I didn't feel any lose of power, but I most definitely didn't any gains.

For those of you who haven't installed the chip yet: If and when you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, your ECU will lose it's volatile memory. When you hook everything back up and start the car it will seem like it wants to stall out while at idle. RPMs will dip below 500 RPM, after about 10 minutes the ECU will re-learn what was lost when the battery was disconnected and the car should run smooth like normal after an additional 10 minutes of easy driving.

I hope to be back home around 7pm with new dyno charts. Be patient guys.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the help I think I will wait and see what happens with the dyno.
Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Audi S4 driver

Do you guys think it would be safe to hit the track with the chip tonight? Its looking to be a chilly night.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blader
Do you guys think it would be safe to hit the track with the chip tonight? Its looking to be a chilly night.
I would say yes.. One of the ways to tell what your gains may be besides a dyno.. Just do as Steve said above and run the car a little while to allow it to adjust to any new settings.. Go for it and report back..
Old 06-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Audi S4 driver

Is it worth running the race fuel and B map, or do you think just run on the A?
Old 06-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
why not start w/ the A map.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd just run A.. Steve tried dynoing on B.. I'd play it safe with just A for now.. Like I said before Jack believes Steves case is the exception and not the rule..
Old 06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Instructor

I installed my chip over the weekend and all went well. I fell the difference at half throttle more than at WOT, but I still think I get more power at WOT then before the chip. It might be mental though and now want it validated with numbers after reading all this. But so far no problems and I am happy with the maybe "mental" gains
Old 06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Audi S4 driver

and your in NJ .. interesting. most east coast people are seeing the same thing. lots more power at part throttles, and chino and I are experiencing power at WOT but maybe not as much as we should be seeing.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Just got back from the dyno. I'm at my parents house now so I'll post the graphs later tonight. The gains are there. Not as significant as Matt's; more along the lines of the original dyno from Brian. Around 3k there is a significant torque gain, close to if not more than 10ft-lbs all the way until 5.5k. Horsepower gains are not as impressive, but they are consistantly 5 whp all the way up. I'll post the graphs soon.

UniChip had the top end EXTREMELY lean. Also the timing was retarded 1 degree up top. I'll post the graphs so we can go over it later tonight.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Audi S4 driver

So what are they doing about that map? Are they sending the map to Unichip? Will it be available to the rest of us east coasters?
Old 06-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
When I went to start my car this morning, the car stalled... I started her up again and she barely started. I stepped on the gas a little to make sure she didn't stall and a big puff of grey smoke came out the back of the car ...

The car still feels real strong when I don't WOT ... Sounds like I'm going to need to get mrsteve's map or a custom tuning with my Unichip.

With more than one of us having this problem, I doubt that mrsteve was the exception to the rule. I would really like to see Unichip paying for these custom tunes for our cars. I sent them an email to see what they say...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Racer

Just got back from my dyno run. It was without the chip though to get some base numbers. Tomorrow I'll be putting the chip in and I'll give my review. I'm in the central region so I 'll see how the chip likes our gas. I do have an appointment next tuesday to get another dyno w/chip. Unless I see real problems then I'll get the dyno done at a unichip dealer.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

Okay the dyno graphs are coming, I just got home. For some reason UniChip leaned our cars out 50% near the top end. This seems really, really extreme to me; this is on Map A too! I didn't do any tuning with Map B. Altered Atmosphere extracted the most power they possibly could from the chip through their tuning. Graphs will be posted in about 10 minutes...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Also, Altered Atmosphere does not plan on sending UniChip my fuel map. The way they (Altered Atmopshere) see it, if UniChip wants to see the fuel map they will need to pay for the entire tune. Otherwise UniChip is getting free research and development out of Altered Atmoshere. They lowered the price to tune the car from $285 to $235. Graphs coming....
Old 06-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Sweet as Gold

I hope this turns out well cause i'm NOT PAYING an extra $200+ for a re-tune...cause I get check engine lights and misfires. I'm gonna call them tommorow and ask about re-tune. And if they tell me it comes outta my pocket...I return the damn thing and go w/ e-manage
Old 06-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

Okay here are the graphs. Sorry I had to take pics of them again:

Blue = Tuned UniChip
Red = Stock ECU
Green = Original UniChip

Tuned UniChip:

Tuned Unichip vs Stock ECU

Tuned Unichip vs Stock ECU again

DISCUSS!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

I'm pretty happy with the torque curve.

Matt, we tried adding more fuel to get closer to 12.8 like you told me. My car didn't like that too much, I lost some power. Seemed that right around 13.5 was best.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if they were taking into the account that by adding or subtracting fuel through altering the MAP signal was also changing the base timing. If they didn't account for that then tuning is more difficult and not as beneficial.

The base advance can be seen with any OBDII scan tool.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scalbert
I wonder if they were taking into the account that by adding or subtracting fuel through altering the MAP signal was also changing the base timing. If they didn't account for that then tuning is more difficult and not as beneficial.

The base advance can be seen with any OBDII scan tool.

They did not use a OBDII scan tool. Maybe there is more power to be had afterall??
Old 06-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Also, Altered Atmosphere does not plan on sending UniChip my fuel map. The way they (Altered Atmopshere) see it, if UniChip wants to see the fuel map they will need to pay for the entire tune. Otherwise UniChip is getting free research and development out of Altered Atmoshere. They lowered the price to tune the car from $285 to $235. Graphs coming....

That makes sense. One hand washes the other. If you aren't gong to assist you "beta testers," then don't expect too much. After all, they didn't exactly send the chips out for free in exchange for the "field testing."
Old 06-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm pretty happy with the torque curve.

Matt, we tried adding more fuel to get closer to 12.8 like you told me. My car didn't like that too much, I lost some power. Seemed that right around 13.5 was best.
IMO, 13 to 13.5 sounds about right. But what do it know...

As Scalbert said, the timing would have some impact on this too...

Did you get to watch them adjust the parameters from run to run? And, if you did, did they change the fuel-air, for a given reading, and then try a timing change?

Do you have any input on what they did from run to run -- at least in general?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

They first started by trying to enrich the air/fuel. They they added in some timing around 5000 and 5500 rpm. The timing changes didn't have much of an affect on the performance. They did advance timing 1 degree near the redline (around 6500) that UniChip had actually retarded 1 degree; so basically they put it back to stock.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ant7701
I hope this turns out well cause i'm NOT PAYING an extra $200+ for a re-tune...cause I get check engine lights and misfires. I'm gonna call them tommorow and ask about re-tune. And if they tell me it comes outta my pocket...I return the damn thing and go w/ e-manage
I have to agree here. I am not going to knock UniChip, but unless I can put the chip in and feel comfortable that it will perform as we were told, they are going to get it back. I have not taken it out the box yet.

Should I send them an email and let them know my intetions?

Should I install it and see what happens? Would a before and after with a G-Tech be good enough to determine any gains?

I don't believe all this East Coast vs. West Coast crap. Are you trying to say that I can't drive my car across the country with the CEL coming on?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

So on mrsteve, there was a gain of 5 WHP 5 lbft for $650?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

I don't know what to do for 5 and 5 I don't think I want the chip anymore and I would have to get it tuned just to get that. This is not what we where told if they had I would not have gotten it. What do you guys plan to do.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by polo
I don't know what to do for 5 and 5 I don't think I want the chip anymore and I would have to get it tuned just to get that. This is not what we where told if they had I would not have gotten it. What do you guys plan to do.

Same here. You will not notice a 5HP and 5 TQ gain.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juice
I don't believe all this East Coast vs. West Coast crap. Are you trying to say that I can't drive my car across the country with the CEL coming on?
No that's not what I'm trying to say. I had decreased performance with no check engine lights. I never said the chip caused that. Although I would bet your car would perform differently on the West Coast than it would in Central USA than it would on the East Coast. This is true for any car, modded or not. Due to the "pushing of the limits" per say of the timing and A/F ratio, this affect will be felt even greater with the UniChip installed.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
So on mrsteve, there was a gain of 5 WHP 5 lbft for $650?

Ugh... well sorta. You are looking at the PEAK gain. Look at the gains in the torque around 2500 rpms all the way till 4000 rpms. You can definitely see a gain there.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juice
Same here. You will not notice a 5HP and 5 TQ gain.

You guys... there is more to gains than PEAK horsepower and torque! Our cars already have good power near the redline! That's called Vtec! Look at the low end gains. Geez. My dyno chart does not differ that much from the original dyno from UniChip. The car pulls harder from 2500 to 5000 rpms.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

That is the gains you paid for. About 8-10 whp and ft-lbs throughout the power band. If you all are bitching about not feeling 5 whp and 5 ft-lbs... even though the gains at the bottom end and mid range are greater than that... you wouldn't feel the additional 3-5whp you are missing.

It's almost like you all want this project to fail now. Put your cars on a dyno and see what they run. Until then you really can't complain or comment without anything to back it up. It is only a piggyback computer. It isn't a magical horsepower modification. The only cars that will normally see 15-20 whp gains from a computer ONLY are turbo and S/C applications because they run so rich from the factory. For example, an EVO has an A/F ratio from the factory around 8:1 or 9:1. Bumping that up to around 11:1 will obviously produce more power. We don't have that luxury. Any Civic or Integra or any other N/A car out there would be more than happy with the consistant gains throughout the entire powerband that this chip has given me (us). Yes the chip cost $608, but how much did your exhaust cost? How much did you gain off of that? I guess some people are never satisfied,
Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes the chip cost $608, but how much did your exhaust cost? How much did you gain off of that? I guess some people are never satisfied,

I paid a lot for my Comptech exhaust not for the 1-2 HP gain, but for the looks and sound. The Unichip, on the other hand, does us absolutely no good in terms of looks or sound. It was purchased specifically for HP. That's why people are starting to get pissed at the minimal gains we're seeing with it now.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nitin
I paid a lot for my Comptech exhaust not for the 1-2 HP gain, but for the looks and sound. The Unichip, on the other hand, does us absolutely no good in terms of looks or sound. It was purchased specifically for HP. That's why people are starting to get pissed at the minimal gains we're seeing with it now.

I would not call the gains on my latest dyno "minimal." What were you all expecting? A jump in 25 whp? If so you totally aren't being realistic.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Stephen,

I’m glad you’re confident after talking with Tony. We don’t exaggerate our capabilities, and we’re only interested in making our products work correctly for our customers.

I’ve spoken with Mike from Altered Atmosphere and he’ll do the tune for $xxx of which I’ll pick up $xxx; not as a policy but rather to find out what’s going on. If you’d prefer, you can have us reprogram the computer for free and bring the A/F ratio down to 13-1 where it should be. However, since you’d probably go back to the dyno to have it checked, you might as well get the custom tune. One of our standard options is selling a kit for $100 under retail with a “zero map” to get custom tuned, which is essentially what I propose. Unfortunately, Altered Atmosphere is an independent shop and I can’t have them retune the car for free; but I did work to get the price for a custom tune down to $xxx. Another option is for us to send a re-programmed unit to Altered Atmosphere with an updated map in it, then you can have them dyno it. If it works, you’re in there and if it doesn’t you can still have them custom tune it.

Please don’t misunderstand what I tried to say in my last e-mail; I wasn’t saying “be happy, you’re getting more power up to 5500 - rpm” what I was trying to say is even with the lean condition, you’re still making more power because of the timing corrections. What I was getting at is that when the fuel map is richened up to where it should be, which is completely obtainable by the tuner, you’ll be making more power across the entire rpm band just like you should.

Why your car is so lean is really a bit of a mystery since we can’t see the car. I seriously doubt it’s a “west coast/east coast” issue and the different gas is irrelevant. The Unichip is clearly working in that resultant A/F ratio is very flat which is what we want; the question is why it’s 14.0 instead of closer to 13.0 where we want it. My guess is that your car is somehow physically different from the two cars we saw here; either your car is too lean or the cars here were too rich. Although I can’t be positive at this point, since the two cars here were very close to each other, my guess is that for some reason your car is a bit lean. It really doesn’t matter as far as your car is concerned since we can correct it which ever retune way you’d prefer to proceed, but it is an item of interest for other CL’s. Right now, we only have data for three cars, and yours is the one that’s different. I’ll be happy to see any other data which other people might have that can serve as a “tie breaker.” Data is good, and the more we have the better.

One possibility which the forum may be able to answer is having the car’s been reflashed by Acura… I know there’s a transmission issue, but have any reflashes affected the ECU’s timing and fuel tables? If so, that could explain the difference between your car and the ones we’ve seen here.

Which brings me to an important point; there’s a big difference between data supported “knowledge” and “feelings” about what may or may not be happening. If we discover the cars we worked on here were too rich for some reason and, therefore, other folks have lean tunes because of those maps, we’ll be happy to correct the maps and get them where we want them to be. However, there isn’t necessarily a big difference in the way a car “feels” if you’re making a 30-foot difference in a ¼-mile run… but the car is still running stronger none the less. Some guys “feel” changes more than other guys, but that doesn’t effect what the car’s really doing.

Your dyno sheet is another great example. We’ll get your car to where it’s making more power, and to where you’ll be able to feel the change, but right now the changes reflected on the dyno sheet aren’t anything you can feel. The 1% loss at high rpm and 1-2% gains at midrange aren’t detectable anywhere but on the dyno. Essentially, right now your car feels exactly the same with the Unichip or without it; that will change when the A/F ratio comes back down where it belongs, which is easy.

One of your comments makes my point. You said “Members are concerned about power at wide open throttle. They seem to see an increase at partial throttle, but the car seems to lose power when at WOT.” There are essentially no power changes happening at part load; the only power changes are at full throttle. Fuel can’t be changed in closed loop without big time problems and you don’t need the car to make more power at part throttle… you just push the pedal down when you want to go faster.

Don’t confuse full load/part load with rpm… anytime the car is at less than about full throttle, it’s in closed loop and it’s tuned for efficiency, mileage, and emissions. That’s true at all rpm; if you’re at redline and lift the throttle, the car is tuned for efficiency. Any time you’re at full throttle, regardless of rpm, the car is in open loop and is tuned for power. The entire dyno sheet you’re looking at after the run is done at full throttle/open loop but covers all rpm. Here’s where it gets tough to figure out what’s really going on when we talk with customers… the car doesn’t make any more power at 40% (for example) throttle regardless of what it feels like. It’s probably a bit smoother because of the extra data we’re adding, but it’s not making more power. The only valid “power feelings” occur with the pedal on the floor or very close to on the floor… regardless of rpm. When someone tells me the car makes more power at part throttle but not at full throttle, that simply isn’t the case

Guys have to understand what’s going on with your car doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with what’s happening with their cars, and that what the “feel” can be very deceptive. I’m happy to work with you to get your car where it should be, but guys need to realize they can’t get their money back because of a “feeling” or because somebody else’s car did something on a dyno somewhere. What I know of right now is a specific problem to one vehicle, which is not an epidemic. The product works, we just have to figure out why your particular car didn’t respond like the other car’s we’ve seen to the particular map we loaded into it. Your car needs more fuel, and we can get it the fuel either through the custom tune route or with a reprogram as you would prefer; your car’s fuel issue however, isn’t necessarily transferable to “feelings” other guys are getting.

Rather than jumping to conclusions which won’t get us anywhere, let’s get some data and we’ll correct any problems we find. Please let me know if I can answer any additonal questions and which of the three options you’d like to follow to get the A/F ratio corrected.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack Friedman, General Manager

Unichip of North America

www.unichip.us

Toll free 1.866.643.7400

Local 1.503.6407465

Fax 1.503.214.6444
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Has been sold for a while

For $885 I would would have expected a bit more....As long as your happy is all that matters. The least Unichip could do is reimburst your $235 dyno tune and everyone elses who needs it. Any plans to hit the track for some real world testing?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Stephen,
The other thing I wanted to tell you with why I think what I do about your car
is
that not only did your car differ from the other two CL's we worked on, it is
also
different from what we we've seen from Honda/Acura vehicles in general.
Typically,
Honda/Acura vehicles tend to be about 10.0-1 A/F in stock trim and about 11.0-1
A/F with
the hardware modifications you have on it. Your car is about 1.0 higher than
that without
the Unichip which also is reflected with the Unichip on the car. It should be
13.0 while
yours is 14.0; as I said earlier, we can certainly correct that problem but
again I think
there's something different about your car.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL
For $885 I would would have expected a bit more....As long as your happy is all that matters. The least Unichip could do is reimburst your $235 dyno tune and everyone elses who needs it. Any plans to hit the track for some real world testing?

UniChip is offering me $100 to help cover the cost of the custom tune. This is price difference between a tuned and non-tuned chip from UniChip in the 1st place. I believe this is fair. So it isn't going to cost me $885... don't know where you got that number in the first place. It will be more like $730 when everything is all said and done.

I will be at the track tomorrow evening at 6pm.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Has been sold for a while

UniChip is offering me $100 to help cover the cost of the custom tune. This is price difference between a tuned and non-tuned chip from UniChip in the 1st place. I believe this is fair. So it isn't going to cost me $885... don't know where you got that number in the first place. It will be more like $730 when everything is all said and done.

I will be at the track tomorrow evening at 6pm.
Well how much was the chip in the first place? $600? I must have been off by $50 or so in my previous calculation which was $650 chip+235tune=$885.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Again I have not installed this yet my question it is my understanding that the chip is controlling the fuel and making the car run lean now if it happened to mrsteve then it will happen to me when I put the chip in. So if I am correct stop me if I am wrong but then it will happen to everybody right.

Quick Reply: Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......