Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louie, what map are you running is it a modified map or a "c"- "d" map?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Racer

I think it was a custom map. I think it said 3M. I sent him my three stock runs and then three dyno runs with the chip and Jack was going to make a specific tune, with the information that I presented him. If he did or did'nt is another story. I still have to send him the graphs and ask what's up.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

being you now have the a/f at what it should be i doubt there is much more to
be had -I would quess he will say something like blah blah blah they are not watching
water temp,and not duplicating the high outflow fans they have and the dyno is not enough
load where the car is actually doing more on the street which I agree it does seem to feel stronger
with the chip but would be nice to see it on paper!! ---should be called the stealth mod
Old 08-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Audi S4 driver

my car feels very noticeably stronger throughout the whole RPM band and pulls like a BASTARD in VTEC. It just never gives up and keeps pulling harder and harder straight to red line.

I have no doubt the gains will show on the dyno but I won't be getting one any time soon because I dont have any extra cash; I am also sure that the gains will show at the track but my work schedule conflicts with the nights the track is open so i'm not sure when I can make it there.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jet-tek
my original map was "c" seem to work good but got paranoid with all the lean reports
so i had uni-chip fatten it up a bit because it pinged a little.The new map seemed like stock
so i opted to have it tuned. a local place (dyno-comp) authorized dealer could not get it to
adjust a/f was 12.2 at about 5k to redline so $165.00 later pretty much stock. sent it back
with a graph so hopefully they can get it at 13 across the range and with some luck maybe it
will stay there as are temps drop.
I also took my car to a local Uni-chip tuner who could not upload a new program to the chip. What is up with that. Has anyone had a custom tune not done by Jack & Co. at Unichip NA? GRD said they have never had a problem tuning Unichips before.

I re-installed the Unichip last week with the new map. Have been on vacation for a week and have not had much of a chance to test drive. The couple of drives I did take, I could not tell much difference. I still plan on going back to GRD to let them dyno again to see if the chip is in the correct A/F range. If possible, I will let them do a custom tune.

They will be contacting Jack directly if they cannot upload a program this time. Something is still a little fishy with this chip. I would still give a thumbs down on this mod as the money can be better spent on something else. I would have probably got as much boost from the Tornado.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by dj5
Something is still a little fishy with this chip. I would still give a thumbs down on this mod as the money can be better spent on something else. I would have probably got as much boost from the Tornado.
lol. I doubt it you would get the same gain from the Tornado. I understand your personal review of the chip is a thumbs down, but I assure you from personal experience that with the right map, this chip DOES give great gains and it gives them all through the RPM band as originally advertised. If the updated maps arent working then I would definetly get the custom tune.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
The problem is the struggle it has been to be get that "right map". Even though my chip is working now... this process has been a pain in the ass.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not too thrilled with my chip either right now. I have the original map on my chip (and I guess I really should get a re-map). Even though I thought the car was running fine, it has been having trouble starting the past couple of days. Every morning when I start the car it nearly stalls and then recovers.

Additionally, I got my ass handed to me by a stock WRX the other day. He just plain walked away from me while my car sat there like it wasn't even moving. So I still think that there's a WOT problem with the car.

Maybe its time for me to e-mail Jack and ask for the same map that blader got ...

Or maybe I should just sell the chip, and invest the money into my S2000
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Team Owner

Off topic: The S looks HOT
Old 08-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Racer

Where does it tell you on the chip what map you are running. Is it the letter after the ACUR01? If so my first map was "B" now theres a hand written "A", for the remap. I still need to tell Jack about my new findings on the dyno.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Pro

I dont know whats up with Unichip on CLS, but there is a guy on v6p.net who runs AV6 with standard CLS pulley on his s/c and gained 60whp with Unichip

When he dyno before the Unichip he was 220whp
After Unichip the numbers came out to solid 280whp.

Here is his dyno:

and here is his details:
Hey everyone I just got back from my trip after spending some time with Jack at UniChip talking about what things where done to my car. Sadley they where not able to put the Cl high boot pulley on my car to do any dyno runs yet but they are going to be doing this next week. They did however tune my car with the Accord high boost pulley which is running about 5.5-6 psi of boost. I guess I need to tell everyone what I am running on my car.

I have the Comptech Super Charger with the Accord high boost pulley, and Comptech headers. I am running the stock Cat and a 2.5" single pipe exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. My baseline at Comptech was 220whp and when they did the dyno at UniChip I was running a baseline of 219whp. So they numbers are consistant at both places. The drop in whp is probable a result of the belts loosening a little over time since I did have to drive up to Portland from San Jose.

They then did a bunch of testing on my car to see how everything runs, like how hot the air gets, boost pressure, a/f, ... They then installed the UniChip and started "tuning" the UniChip to get the best performance they could out of my car. After a week of testing, and tuning they finally got my car to run a beautiful 280whp... Now I dont remember what exactly other people are running with their cars with the Super Charger but Im running the lower boost pulley and Im getting 280whp. Which is more then what other people are running with the Cl high boost pulley and a few other mods on their car.

The one problem they are having is the increase in air temp becasue of the supercharger. They drove the car around for a while with the outside temp being 65 deg and the intake air was 170 deg! This is a large jump in air temp. So they told me that installing the larger boost pulley without a way to cool down the air would be pointless. They said that while they could get more power the fact that the air temp would be increased with the larger pulley more power would be lost after the car started to heat up more. So I am happy with the power they where able to get. Even with my current setting the car gets very hot so they set the UniChip to run at 2 settings the 1st setting is a lower setting. So I will only be getting 260whp ahhhhh poor me. The second setting is what I would like to call "Setting the UniChip to KILL", with the flick of a switch I get another 20whp when I want to race. Until I get something to cool down the air though UniChip strongley suggested that I only run setting number 1 This will prevent from any engine pinging after the engine and air temp heats up.

Also the car is running much smoother then it was before, its like it got the ultimate tune up. The power is smooth and the response is much better then it was before. Ok im writing too much Ill let you all mull over what I have already.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Pro

^
Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by av6ent
I dont know whats up with Unichip on CLS, but there is a guy on v6p.net who runs AV6 with standard CLS pulley on his s/c and gained 60whp with Unichip

Here is his dyno:

and here is his details:
You're both getting fooled by the hp rating. See on the graph where it says "Data corrected to flywheel values" ??? That means that Unichip is estimating the horsepower at the crank. They're using some percentage to measure how much horsepower he's losing at the wheels and then adding that percentage back on to get a crank reading. The horsepower in this graph is 270hp with no Unichip.. Look at the graph yourself. The horsepower after the Unichip is added is 280hp. So he only gained 10hp. And if they're correcting the horsepower gain as well by a percentage, that gain may only be something like 5-7whp. Same as the CL-S/TL-S gains. Its not bad, but its not the unbelievable 60whp that you think he's getting.

BTW- What he says about the car making less horsepower with this "Map A" setting doesn't make any sense. That means that he's LOSING 10 crank horsepower with the Unichip. I mean, I am reading the graph correctly, aren't I? ... 270 Crank Horsepower is the blue line. 280 crank horsepower is the red line after the Unichip was added. The torque curve is pretty nice though, according to it he's gaining quite a bit of torque in the mid-range .. (Of course, our dyno graphs from Unichip also looked like this but on real world dynos like DynoJet, the gains were not nearly as good).
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

The question needs to be raised; how was this possible?? At the same boost level, there is not 60 WHP to be gained through tuning unless there was something wrong with the car to begin with. If his A/F ratio was close to being fine before the Unichip there is not enough to be gained especially at this variance of numbers.

For example, I made 265 WHP on a faulty FPR. Changing out the FPR brought me up to 315 WHP. I didn't gain power, I just recovered the lost power by having a properly running car.

Lastly, why is this plot WHP when the others from Unichip have been interpreted crank numbers??
Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
See on the graph where it says "Data corrected to flywheel values" ??? That means that Unichip is estimating the horsepower at the crank.
Good catch, I thought that seemed outrageous. All other plots had been the same way.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by scalbert
The question needs to be raised; how was this possible?? At the same boost level, there is not 60 WHP to be gained through tuning unless there was something wrong with the car to begin with. If his A/F ratio was close to being fine before the Unichip there is not enough to be gained especially at this variance of numbers.

For example, I made 265 WHP on a faulty FPR. Changing out the FPR brought me up to 315 WHP. I didn't gain power, I just recovered the lost power by having a properly running car.

Lastly, why is this plot WHP when the others from Unichip have been interpreted crank numbers??
I think it is more a miscommunication than anything else. The guy said himself that Unichip measured his car at 219whp stock. The graph says stock is 270 crank hp. That means they're estimating an ~18.8% crank horsepower loss. If the same holds true, then with the Unichip he's putting down 280 crank horsepower, he's really putting down ~227 wheel horsepower. a 7hp gain... Pretty much the same as us.

It also brings up a good point that the marketing people at Unichip are using Crank horsepower gains to "up" the amount of horsepower gains you think you'll see with the Unichip. In reality, when they say you're gaining 10 horsepower (at the crank), you're really only gaining 7whp or something similar depending on the amount of powertrain loss they put into their equation. In any case, its a little bit misleading although I guess if you look at all the information on the graph .. they aren't lying to anyone, they're just being a little clever with their marketing.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro

This guy stating its WHP (see above his details)

In addition, maybe I was a little unclear stating this dyno showed 60whp difference, its not.
According to him he gained 60 with Unichip eventually comparing to his first dyno (220 whp not shown) after s/c installation. And right, Steve, he had problem with his car first since 220 is much lower then usually guys with s/c and standard CLS pulley show on AV6.

After diging up and find that this specific dyno shows the Unichip tuning in process and actual gain showed to be as follows:
Old 08-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Liquid Ice

This guy stating its WHP (see above his details)

In addition, maybe I was a little unclear stating this dyno showed 60whp difference, its not.
According to him he gained 60 with Unichip eventually comparing to his first dyno (220 whp not shown) after s/c installation. And right, Steve, he had problem with his car first since 220 is much lower then usually guys with s/c and standard CLS show on AV6.

After diging up and find that this specific dyno shows the Unichip tuning in process and actual gain showed to be as follows:
But he stated that his pre-Unichip whp was 220whp and that when Unichip dyno'ed his car pre-Unichip they put down 219whp. So why does the graph show that he's putting down 270 "whp" Pre-Unichip? That doesn't make any sense.

BTW- 220whp is right on target for a Supercharged V6 Accord. See the Comptech Dyno graph for yourself (The car has Intake, Headers, Exhaust, and Comptech Supercharger) : http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/98av6scfinal.pdf

You guys are misinterpreting the Unichip graphs. The gain is 7whp, 10 horsepower at the crank according to Unichip.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
But he stated that his pre-Unichip whp was 220whp and that when Unichip dyno'ed his car pre-Unichip they put down 219whp. So why does the graph show that he's putting down 270 "whp" Pre-Unichip? That doesn't make any sense.

BTW- 220whp is right on target for a Supercharged V6 Accord. See the Comptech Dyno graph for yourself (The car has Intake, Headers, Exhaust, and Comptech Supercharger) : http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/98av6scfinal.pdf

You guys are misinterpreting the Unichip graphs. The gain is 7whp, 10 horsepower at the crank according to Unichip.
Ok, let me ask him whats up

and BTW 220whp with AV6 is standard Accord pulley shown on CT site whereas guys with Accord HBP (CLS standard pulley) typically show 240whp with no tuning.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Liquid Ice

Ok, let me ask him whats up

and BTW 220whp with AV6 is standard Accord pulley shown on CT site whereas guys with Accord HBP (CLS standard pulley) typically show 240whp with no tuning.
Hmm, well if he should be putting down 240whp and he's only putting down 220 ... then there's probably more horsepower to be had ... I don't think the Unichip is going to give you much more than you're already getting though unless they expand upon what Unichip can already do by running a full engine management system like scalbert is doing with the Greddy eManage.

It would be really sweet if a $650 Unichip PnP unit could really give the AV6 or the TL-S/CL-S 60whp though wouldn't it? I don't think 60whp from a Piggyback ECU is realistic though. The gains would be higher than the gains we're (TL-S/CL-S 5AT) seeing with the Comptech Supercharger ...

A full ECU flash or replacement on a turbo charged engine like the Audis and VWs then yeah its possible.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

That accord guy is a retard if he thought he could gain 60whp from A/F and minor timing adjustments.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Not even on factory turbocharged cars like the STi or EVO that run extremely rich from the factory (i.e., like 9.0:1 or 10.0:1) will gain anywhere close to 60whp from a piggyback engine controller. Leaning out those cars to around 11.5:1 or 12.0:1 will gain MAYBE 20whp.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Pro

Yep. Its CRANK HP.
I asked, Steve chime in as well and after that guy called Jack@Unichip it was confirmed.

Therefore, just disregard his gains with Unichip.

BTW, This what that guy wrote in response.
Hummm ok I just called Jack at UniChip and he told me that that is flywheel hp which he did not tell us before so now everything is messed up for the time being. I am going to ask him to resend the dyno charts for whp... Sorry for the miss information on this.

-Garrett

Ok I just found out from Jack why its measured the way it is. He said due to differences in wheel sizes and weight, and different transmitions they like to "normalize" the numbers to the fly wheel. Again sorry about the confusion Jack is sending us the whp numbers later on today and then the whp later in the wheek for the high boost pulley.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
all of the unichip dyno's say 'corrected to flywheel values' right on them.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

So basically the Accord needs a I/H/E/Blower/Unichip to put down the same numbers as a CL-S with I/H/E
Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

yup. that s/c accord is putting down ~ 250whp, where i was putting down 244 n/a.

his max crank hp was 285, mine was 342 w/ teh 75 shot.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Audi S4 driver

That comment makes no sense to me. Won't wheel sizes, weight, and transmissions affect the baseline numbers? So what is the point of "normalizing" to flywheel? They will affect the baseline the same as they will affect the second dyno.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsteve
So basically the Accord needs a I/H/E/Blower/Unichip to put down the same numbers as a CL-S with I/H/E
Usually untuned Accord with blower kit/headers/exhaust and Standard CLS pulley supposed show 240WHP. He had issues with it only showing 220 since I believe he stated his belt was sliding, therefore not experienced a full gain. And dont forget the stock Accord usually DYNO pathetic 155-158WHP.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

the reason why they use flywheel values is simple. larger numbers.

exactly the same reason car manufacturers do it. most people don't know the difference between engine horsepower and WHP.

so it makes sense for them to use the numbers that look the best.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by mattg

exactly the same reason car manufacturers do it. most people don't know the difference between engine horsepower and WHP.

Exactly the point I was getting at Matt, and I agree. I just dont get why he would make up some about wheel weights and sizes, and transmissions .. he seemed like a pretty straight forward guy.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mattg

Therefore only independent DYNO running on Dynojet will yeild accurate results with SAE correction.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by blader
Exactly the point I was getting at Matt, and I agree. I just dont get why he would make up some about wheel weights and sizes, and transmissions .. he seemed like a pretty straight forward guy.
I was surpised myself when Unichip did shit like that
Old 08-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh oh.... What's going on? Link? Cliff Notes?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Uh oh.... What's going on? Link? Cliff Notes?
Start reading from the post #688 then you'll get a clue
Old 08-23-2004, 03:54 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
lol. I doubt it you would get the same gain from the Tornado. I understand your personal review of the chip is a thumbs down, but I assure you from personal experience that with the right map, this chip DOES give great gains and it gives them all through the RPM band as originally advertised. If the updated maps arent working then I would definetly get the custom tune.
The problem I mentioned in my earlier note was it seems that two different Unichip tuner shops have tried to do a custom tune and were not able to download the program.

Has anyone on the CL/TL group buy been able to have a Unichip tuner download a custom tune?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

My UniChip tuner was able to download the original maps A and B.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Liquid Ice

Yeah ... Like I was saying, its clever marketing. Or not so clever I guess since they're just copying the auto manufacturer's numbers. But, they state their gains at the flywheel and not at the wheels, so even when they told us that they expected a 10hp gain across the powerband ... Its really more like a 7whp gain, which is more or less what mrsteve got, but it took a custom tune to get it.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Pro

Ok, guess what

He received the WHP dyno from Unichip.
Ignore BHP label it is corrected to WHP and here are the gains

Before Unichip - 220WHP
After Unichip - see below

Old 08-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Those are some pretty fat gains, in the torque curve especially. It would be nice if my custom tune graph looked like Matts
Old 08-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Those are some pretty fat gains, in the torque curve especially. It would be nice if my custom tune graph looked like Matts
Yes indeed I like it myself

Quick Reply: Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......