Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004 | 09:08 PM
Team Owner

I'd wait and see what happens with all the UniChip updates. If they come out with an end-user programmer you'll be able to sell it fairly easily IMO. We'll see... your situation sucks... and you're not the only one in it.
Old 08-10-2004 | 10:17 PM
///M POWER

how many have tried to sell there chips
Old 08-11-2004 | 07:36 AM
Racer

Going to the track this sat. and I have a dyno set up for next wed. Tried for this week, but they were all booked up.
Old 08-11-2004 | 08:29 AM
Audi S4 driver

OK well I ran the track lastnight without the chip .. the conditions were horrible and I ran with system in, spare, jack, tools, etc .. I didnt really care I wasnt going for a good time I was just going for something to compare with. as long as I run it the same when I get the pulley and chip in then I'll have something to compare with.

ran 14.85 @ 95.8 .. 2.35 60ft. temp was like 77 with almost 80% humidity. far cry from my best time of 14.17 @ 98.5, 2.17 60ft

but oh well. we'll see how I do in similiar temps with similiar prepping (which was no prepping lol) with the chip and crank pulley installed.
Old 08-15-2004 | 11:51 AM
Not Asian

Anybody have any updates?
Old 08-15-2004 | 12:28 PM
Audi S4 driver

I have an update

I have been running the newly mapped chip since Friday afternoon. When I received it, I immediately installed it and let the car idle for 15 minutes. Then I took it for a ride around town, but really had no room to get on it because of all the shore traffic on a friday afternoon. Although I IMMEDIATELY felt the difference in low end torque even at light throttle. After installing\uninstalling this chip 3 times, without a doubt in my mind your low end and midrange torque starts earlier, stays flatter and is bumped up a very noticeable amount

I finally got some open road when I went past the parkway entrance so I went WOT. Car fell flat on its face, no power. I was like oh well, looks like I gotta call jack again and send it back.

Well I guess maybe on that first WOT run it was still learning or something, because when I turned around on the road to come back to my town, I went WOT again and nearly pissed my pants. I never felt the car pull so hard. I put it to the floor, it downshifted, and the nose just lifted and rocketed forward, never hesitating. The torque was flat and linear and STRONG all through the midrange.

Just when I thought it couldnt get any better, I hit VTEC The car noticeably jumped forward again and it pulled harder and harder straight to redline. It honestly almost felt like a DOHC VTEC. I couldnt believe it, I had to try again .. so I slowed down, and cracked the throttle again. Same results. The car was hauling ass harder than I ever felt before, and it was hot, humid, and RAINY.

That night I picked a girl up that often rides in my car. Without telling her I installed the chip I wanted to see if she said anything. I waited for open road and cracked it .. the car LAUNCHED and shes like holy shit wtf did you do!? then I got to the place where my friends band was playing and took him for a ride, with two other girls .. so 4 people in the car in hot and rainy weather, and my friend said it was pulling really hard .. he would know how it used to feel because he spends alot of time in my car and has driven it on many occassions. So the gains arent just in my head and the butt dyno is fairly accurate.

Whatever they did to the chip this time, they definately did right. Josh the tuner told me it was the "D" map.

Only two things I noticed with the chip. One, sometimes at idle when the A\C compressor is cycling on and off, my RPM's drop a little and it almost feels like it will stall, but then jumps back up. I noticed this on Friday when I just installed the chip but haven't really noticed it since, I will watch for it again tonight. When I installed the chip this time I did not unplug the battery I just disconnected all the ecu stuff; that could also be why. And second, after installing\uninstalling this chip 3 times already, I am positive now that my exhaust sounds louder with the chip in. Has anyone else noticed this? My comptech exhausts seem to drone more in higher gears (mainly 5th), especially on the highway in the droning range (2Krpm). It doesnt bother me, especially with all the extra power, but just wondering if anyone else has observed this?
Old 08-15-2004 | 02:58 PM
Sweet as Gold

Yeah I'm currently waiting on my new map. Blader...funny thing is is that I have map D in my car right now and it feels exactly stock to me...no power gain, but no power loss compared to my last chip. i also noticed w/ my other chip...the exhaust was definitly louder. I noticed it most when starting the car. Jack spoke to me on friday and he should be sending me out me chip this week!
Old 08-15-2004 | 04:47 PM
Instructor

my original map was "c" seem to work good but got paranoid with all the lean reports
so i had uni-chip fatten it up a bit because it pinged a little.The new map seemed like stock
so i opted to have it tuned. a local place (dyno-comp) authorized dealer could not get it to
adjust a/f was 12.2 at about 5k to redline so $165.00 later pretty much stock. sent it back
with a graph so hopefully they can get it at 13 across the range and with some luck maybe it
will stay there as are temps drop.
Old 08-15-2004 | 06:04 PM
///M POWER

i cant exactly say i feel any gains but i'll see what the track says
Old 08-15-2004 | 10:56 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by darrinb
i cant exactly say i feel any gains but i'll see what the track says
Then it needs to be remapped. i'm telling you dude, my car pulls like a BASTARD now. There is no mistaking the gain, I can feel it without a doubt in my mind.
Old 08-15-2004 | 11:40 PM
///M POWER

damn, hit the track blader..
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:28 AM
Not Asian

Did anybody else get the email from V6P that Unichip is now available for the AV6? I wonder if they will have the same problems as us. The gains look good for it though.
Old 08-16-2004 | 03:20 PM
Audi S4 driver

I broke loose at WOT shifting from SECOND to THIRD today in the rain. That is definetly a first for my car. Not just a chirp either like the car pulled to the right and VSA had to slow it down. I thought this was just luck, until I did it again on the way back from lunch. This chip is kicking ass. It feels like the headers all over again except at every RPM. Oh by the way I also had one of the shittiest days in a long time today but I'll start a thread to explain that. I am very disappointed with PAA.
Old 08-16-2004 | 03:53 PM
One who Laps

I moved to Vegas while the group buy was in progress and had the chip sent out here. I bought a new Ducati while waiting for my chip and lost interest in the chip after reading all the dissapointed people who installed it and my new bike has sparked other interests.
Didn't have the drive to install it and run to a dyno.
That being said, the chip sat for over a month and I threw an ad up to sell it, nobody was interested, no surprise.
Last weekend I got bored and decided to install it, as I didn't buy it to sell anyway.
After jumping in the car to go for a ride, I was shocked at the differences, which were numerous.
I had more power and throttle was more sensitive, as I could get huge rubber going into second, along with more pull throughout the powerband. Car pulled even better off the line too. My car sounds meaner in vtec and exhaust note is louder with the Comptech exhaust. Kinda scary in a way, I was like whoa!
Had a tiny bit of pinging on a few occasions but immediately added 100 octane gas to the tank and the car continues to run great, no ping.
Knowing my car as well as I do, I can definitely tell I have more power there, still need to get to a dyno to test the results but so far no cel's or problems, very happy to this point.
Maybe installing the chip on my car here on the West Coast, where it was originally mapped has something to do with it's performance, compared to those on the East Coast who seem to be having troubles, who knows.
Just thought I'd throw out my experience to compare to others, give me your thoughts.
Old 08-16-2004 | 03:59 PM
///M POWER

damn blader if u got gains like that i need to get re maped
Old 08-16-2004 | 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sonor kid
I moved to Vegas while the group buy was in progress and had the chip sent out here. I bought a new Ducati while waiting for my chip and lost interest in the chip after reading all the dissapointed people who installed it and my new bike has sparked other interests.
Didn't have the drive to install it and run to a dyno.
That being said, the chip sat for over a month and I threw an ad up to sell it, nobody was interested, no surprise.
Last weekend I got bored and decided to install it, as I didn't buy it to sell anyway.
After jumping in the car to go for a ride, I was shocked at the differences, which were numerous.
I had more power and throttle was more sensitive, as I could get huge rubber going into second, along with more pull throughout the powerband. Car pulled even better off the line too. My car sounds meaner in vtec and exhaust note is louder with the Comptech exhaust. Kinda scary in a way, I was like whoa!
Had a tiny bit of pinging on a few occasions but immediately added 100 octane gas to the tank and the car continues to run great, no ping.
Knowing my car as well as I do, I can definitely tell I have more power there, still need to get to a dyno to test the results but so far no cel's or problems, very happy to this point.
Maybe installing the chip on my car here on the West Coast, where it was originally mapped has something to do with it's performance, compared to those on the East Coast who seem to be having troubles, who knows.
Just thought I'd throw out my experience to compare to others, give me your thoughts.

Great to hear. Did you experience pinging in both "A" and "B" maps? Or only "B" ? You shouldn't have a ping in "A" map otherwise you are running too lean. The good thing is you are happy with the results... if you find the time get a dyno and see what happens
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:05 AM
Revving at 9K...

I just recently removed the chip as I'm getting ready to do the Tranny Recall, after well over 8 month of driving with the Chip.

All I can say is this.. I'm putting that sucker back it as soon as I get work done by acrua! Right now, full throttle is just weak, and my motor feels like its in lazy mode. The biggest visual difference is how faster my RPM needle moves compared to with Chip. Everyday, I go on this Highway on ramp, and its one of my few chances to go WOT (0-75mph), and I do this everyday because I love Vtec. These last few chipless days totally sucked.
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:18 AM
Audi S4 driver

I definately have to agree with you Brian after finally getting the "right" map on my car. Its never performed so well.
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Keep the rave reviews coming!
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:34 AM
Team Owner

^ LOL @ Kevin. Poor guy tryin' to dump the UniChip cause he bought the S/C.
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:37 AM
Audi S4 driver

LOL ahahaa .. honestly with the right map this thing DOES work.

Derelict you bought a s\c!? I didnt know that.
Old 08-17-2004 | 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Ya Hopefully on by the end of the week.
Old 08-17-2004 | 12:12 PM
Audi S4 driver

That is awesome man, congratulations! Hopefully I can get a ride at a future meet ..

I just got off the phone with Jack and Josh at unichip. Wanted to tell them good news this time instead of bad. Told them how well the car was performing and everything. But I told them of a problem I was having .. sometimes when I am coming to a stop light or when I am sitting at idle and the A\C compressor is cycling on and off, the idle will dip low and feel like it wants to stall then kick back up to normal.

He said I could possibly have the ECU power switch set to off. I didnt think the car would start with the ECU switch set to OFF, but I was wrong. Apparently our ECU's have two different power leads. One that gives it main power when the key is switched on, and another that trickles power when the ECU is off so it can keep everything it has learned.

After going out and checking, my switch was in fact switched to OFF, so everytime I've shut my car off its dumped everything it learned. Boy did I feel like an idiot if anyones having this problem, check the switch. I have yet to confirm if this fixed it but he said it should be fixed within 24 hrs of driving the car .. so I'll know tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2004 | 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blader
Apparently our ECU's have two different power leads. One that gives it main power when the key is switched on, and another that trickles power when the ECU is off so it can keep everything it has learned.
There are actually three power source. Two main sources with switched power. And a third constant source for memory.
Old 08-17-2004 | 05:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsteve

Great to hear. Did you experience pinging in both "A" and "B" maps? Or only "B" ? You shouldn't have a ping in "A" map otherwise you are running too lean. The good thing is you are happy with the results... if you find the time get a dyno and see what happens

How exactly can I tell if my car is pinging? Can you normally hear it. I have never tried Map B and if I do it, I want to know what to look/hear for.
Old 08-17-2004 | 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Yes you can hear it, although it is hard to hear on the CL-S compared to other vehicles i've owned due to the engine noise in Vtec. You will hear a "ping" or a tapping noise. You also may hear a knocking sound if detonation is occuring. It should be fairly obvious if you are used to the sound your engine makes under WOT.
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:41 PM
One who Laps

Pinging is a bad description for detonation I guess, it sounds more like clicking or an electrical like zap sound.
This took place only above 6,000 rpm's and went away after a few WOT runs, as I think the stock ECU may have compensated somewhat to avoid this, not sure.
I added an equal amount of 100 octane gas to my tank since and have had no problems.
Do keep in mind that the highest octane gas available in Vegas is 91 octane other than 100 race fuel. In Chicago it was 93 octane, so there is a small difference in octane and may affect the performance of my chip regarding fuel.
I love the chip for now and a dyno is coming soon.
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

try to do 3 pulls w/ chip and 3 pulls w/o
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:52 PM
///M POWER

sounds like i need a custome tune, i dont seem to be getting the same gains
Old 08-17-2004 | 07:59 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Pinging sounds just about like the rattling a deisel engine makes. Deisels actually run on detonation or "pre-ignition" to use a more descriptive term. They compress the fuel to cause it to explode without a spark plug. When you hear pinging in an engine the fuel is actually exploding before the cylinder reaches top dead center. It's not a good thing.
Old 08-17-2004 | 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Knock, pinging, detonation, etc. is simply an uncontrolled burn in the cylinder. Ideally the flame front starts at the spark plug and spreads evenly in the cylinder and across the piston. Deto is where the air/fuel mixture ignites on it's own causing multiple flame fronts which collide with one another. This dramatically increases cylinder pressure and temperatures which is what damages the engine.

This can occur at varying degrees and ECU actually listens for it. Many ECU's will hear it well before you could and it pulls back timing to help limit the impact. But it can only do so much eventually too much knock will just kill the engine.

The sound is often stated to be similar to shaking a tin can of nails; I'd have to agree with that analogy on this engine.
Old 08-17-2004 | 10:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sonor kid
Pinging is a bad description for detonation I guess, it sounds more like clicking or an electrical like zap sound.
This took place only above 6,000 rpm's and went away after a few WOT runs, as I think the stock ECU may have compensated somewhat to avoid this, not sure.
I added an equal amount of 100 octane gas to my tank since and have had no problems.
Do keep in mind that the highest octane gas available in Vegas is 91 octane other than 100 race fuel. In Chicago it was 93 octane, so there is a small difference in octane and may affect the performance of my chip regarding fuel.
I love the chip for now and a dyno is coming soon.
We get 93 around New Orleans.
Old 08-18-2004 | 10:27 AM
Racer

Dyno today at 3:30 with the new map. The only problem is that it's hotter and more humid than the last time I had the chip dyno'd. Hey Sonor why did you leave now I have no cl's to go to the track with. I go with my cousin but he has a ws6 stock running 13.2 so it's not a fair race.
Old 08-18-2004 | 11:25 AM
Team Owner

^ Then dyno today without the chip as well...
Old 08-18-2004 | 12:46 PM
Racer

I only get three runs for 75 bucks. If you look on page two or three you'll see my stock run's plus my first chip dyno's. Jonsei posted them for me. I'm doing 3 again, but just of new map.
Old 08-18-2004 | 03:34 PM
One who Laps

Hey Louie, what's up my friend.
I'm sorry to bolt out West but I got a great job out here in Vegas. I'm home every other weekend but broke down and shipped the CL out here.
Let me know when you going to the track and maybe I can tag along with Andy, aka tool462.
I want to see those dyno's!
Old 08-18-2004 | 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Louie11
I only get three runs for 75 bucks. If you look on page two or three you'll see my stock run's plus my first chip dyno's. Jonsei posted them for me. I'm doing 3 again, but just of new map.
I hosted a bunch.. I just have to try and figure which are yours...
Old 08-18-2004 | 06:14 PM
Racer

Believe me you don't want to see my dyno's. I wish I didn't see my dyno's. Temp- 84 hum-48%, last time T-87; H- 36% and I still put up the same numbers as stock and with the original chip 215hp. I swear up and down that the car feels more reponsive and powerful. One thing that the dyno did show was that they definitly changed the A/F. Old chip was 14.2 - 13.8, now is 13.2 - 12.8. That is pretty much where stock was. Overall I love the way the car drives and feels plus gas mileage, when the chip is in. Just disappointed with the actual numbers not showing a difference. I'll be sending Jack the new dyno, but as far as messing with it anymore, I think I'm DONE.
Old 08-18-2004 | 08:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Louie11
Believe me you don't want to see my dyno's. I wish I didn't see my dyno's. Temp- 84 hum-48%, last time T-87; H- 36% and I still put up the same numbers as stock and with the original chip 215hp. I swear up and down that the car feels more reponsive and powerful. One thing that the dyno did show was that they definitly changed the A/F. Old chip was 14.2 - 13.8, now is 13.2 - 12.8. That is pretty much where stock was. Overall I love the way the car drives and feels plus gas mileage, when the chip is in. Just disappointed with the actual numbers not showing a difference. I'll be sending Jack the new dyno, but as far as messing with it anymore, I think I'm DONE.

I am curious to see what he says now. I should call him tomorrow to see what they are going to do about all of this.
Old 08-18-2004 | 09:09 PM
///M POWER

are they gonna give you your $$$ back

Quick Reply: Uni -Chip Owners Only Discussion Thread......