Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really close to them and have gotten everything overnight from them so don't think they went out yet. Maybe they went out Friday hopefully.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
They prolly went out friday. Make sure you have the longer bolts!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
i'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Pro

Update

Ok got around to installing the rear mount last night. For some reason this time it was much more of a pain in the ass than the first time. It took 4 hours where as the first time took under 2 and i was taking my time. Anyways, Heres my thoughts so far

The vibrations with all 3 mounts installed is much less noticable than with the 1st generation designed mounts but there is still vibrations,mainly if you have ac or accessories turned on at idle, if your cruisng it is not at all noticable. Also, the problems people were having with hard acceleration (Excessive noise and vibrations) seems to be solved but need to drive on them for about a week or so for a definate determination on that. Only went for about a 15 minute drive after installing.

So these mounts are by far superior to the original first generation ones, but for some who wants no vibrations at all, may want to stick with OEM mounts if your picky, or just install the front and side mounts.

When i just had the side and front mounts installed, the vibrations didnt seem any worse than with stock mounts, although i have not had alll 3 of my stock mounts in for about 5 months or so so i could be mistaken. Definatly still very smooth and no excessive noise or any unwanted side effects. The rear is definatly what is causing any vibrations one might feel.

With all 3 mounts in the tires definatly plant to the ground alot better. seems to handle a bit better too since the tires are sticking to the ground alot better. THe tires also dont peel out nearly as easy and there doesnt seem to be any wheel hop. Im going to keep all 3 mounts in for now and see how things feel after driving for a week or 2. If the vibrations at idle really start to annoy me again i will just stick my stock rear mount back in.

Heres the basic run down of the new mounts

Side mount is now a perfect OEM fit. No mods necessary. Im strongly reccomending the Longer Acura bolts: Part # 95701-10025-08 BOLT, FLANGE (10X25)

Front And Rear mounts are redesigned. The front and rear are now marked with F for front and R for rear. Also, they eliminated the little nipple hole. The 6 speed rear mount is obvious so there is no R in those. The old one used a 2 piece bushing set up where as these use a solid 1 piece bushing with no steel plate (That is not 100% confirmed yet, but im almost postive that is what they changed to soften things up) Perfect OEM fitment

The vibrations and noise are significantly reduced but i dont think they can make that any better now unless they used a softer bushing or you stay with your OEM rubber mounts. These are a solid poly mount so there is naturally going to be more Vibes than stock. The benifit is the greatly decreased wheel hop and your power is planted to the ground Much better. Things might get better as they age and soften up but that is not confirmed yet.

Anyways thats my review for now. I will let innovative know on monday, and hopefully they will have the rest of your mounts out shortly
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Great news! The side mount is a perfect fit! All 3 holes line up perfectly as well as the main through bolt! Also used the new longer bolts from acura that worked perfectly as well. I havent driven it yet so ill let you guys know how it feels. I also have not installed the rear mount yet. Im going to do that later this weekend.

I also think i figured out what they changed in the front and rear mount. The old mounts had a steel plate on the inside and it used 2 small bushings on each side with a collar. The new ones i believe has no steel plate on the inside and is just a solid bushing with a collar. The old mounts seperated where as the new ones i believe the bushings are pressed in becaucse the collar wont move and the bushings stay in place. Heres some pix to show what im talking about

That is the 2 piece bushing set up with the collar

That is the steel plate on the inside of the mount.

I believe on the new mounts that plate is not in the front or rear (maybe even the side) and its just a solid 1 piece bushing with the collar. But since new bushings i believe are pressed in i suppose we cant verify my theory unless innovative tells us.. but im almost 100% postive that is what changed
YES . . . this sounds just like what Tim told me they were going to change . . I just couldn't explain it very well.

I'm getting excited . . . can't wait to hear the results . . .

Ruf
Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Update

Ok got around to installing the rear mount last night. For some reason this time it was much more of a pain in the ass than the first time. It took 4 hours where as the first time took under 2 and i was taking my time. Anyways, Heres my thoughts so far

The vibrations with all 3 mounts installed is much less noticable than with the 1st generation designed mounts but there is still vibrations,mainly if you have ac or accessories turned on at idle, if your cruisng it is not at all noticable. Also, the problems people were having with hard acceleration (Excessive noise and vibrations) seems to be solved but need to drive on them for about a week or so for a definate determination on that. Only went for about a 15 minute drive after installing.

So these mounts are by far superior to the original first generation ones, but for some who wants no vibrations at all, may want to stick with OEM mounts if your picky, or just install the front and side mounts.

When i just had the side and front mounts installed, the vibrations didnt seem any worse than with stock mounts, although i have not had alll 3 of my stock mounts in for about 5 months or so so i could be mistaken. Definatly still very smooth and no excessive noise or any unwanted side effects. The rear is definatly what is causing any vibrations one might feel.

With all 3 mounts in the tires definatly plant to the ground alot better. seems to handle a bit better too since the tires are sticking to the ground alot better. THe tires also dont peel out nearly as easy and there doesnt seem to be any wheel hop. Im going to keep all 3 mounts in for now and see how things feel after driving for a week or 2. If the vibrations at idle really start to annoy me again i will just stick my stock rear mount back in.

Heres the basic run down of the new mounts

Side mount is now a perfect OEM fit. No mods necessary. Im strongly reccomending the Longer Acura bolts: Part # 95701-10025-08 BOLT, FLANGE (10X25)

Front And Rear mounts are redesigned. The front and rear are now marked with F for front and R for rear. Also, they eliminated the little nipple hole. The 6 speed rear mount is obvious so there is no R in those. The old one used a 2 piece bushing set up where as these use a solid 1 piece bushing with no steel plate (That is not 100% confirmed yet, but im almost postive that is what they changed to soften things up) Perfect OEM fitment

The vibrations and noise are significantly reduced but i dont think they can make that any better now unless they used a softer bushing or you stay with your OEM rubber mounts. These are a solid poly mount so there is naturally going to be more Vibes than stock. The benifit is the greatly decreased wheel hop and your power is planted to the ground Much better. Things might get better as they age and soften up but that is not confirmed yet.

Anyways thats my review for now. I will let innovative know on monday, and hopefully they will have the rest of your mounts out shortly

Thanks for the detailed update . . . I can't wait to get mine in.

And yes, the rear is a pain in the . . .

I also agree that those who want as smooth an idle as possible could continue using the OEM in the rear. Out of the 3 mounts, I totally wasted the front and side, and while the rear was busted too, it wasn't nearly as bad as the other 2. I think you can safely say that the rear takes the least amount of punishment. And if you use the Innovative on the front and side, I think the rear OEM will hold up just fine.

Ruf
Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm glad things are improving. I need mounts some time soon and I really didn't want OEM again.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RUF87

Thanks for the detailed update . . . I can't wait to get mine in.

And yes, the rear is a pain in the . . .

I also agree that those who want as smooth an idle as possible could continue using the OEM in the rear. Out of the 3 mounts, I totally wasted the front and side, and while the rear was busted too, it wasn't nearly as bad as the other 2. I think you can safely say that the rear takes the least amount of punishment. And if you use the Innovative on the front and side, I think the rear OEM will hold up just fine.

Ruf
So far it actually seems to be getting even smoother at idle. Most of the times i dont even think about it anymore or even realize when im at a stop light. Of course my subs may be distracting me too It seemed to be that way too when i put the front and side on and got better as i drove it. Maybe the mounts like soften up or settle or something after theyve been driven on for a few miles or maybe you just dont notice it as much after youve driven with it for awile.Maybe someone can chime on on this and maybe explain if that is true and why it would be true. So far ive gone almost 300 miles on them and so far so good! I havent been using ac so not sure how the idle feels with that on yet but theres a few more months yet before it starts getting hot enough for ac. Hopefully the rest of you will get your mounts soon! I already emailed innovative sunday night about my results.

On a side note, i wonder why Josh has not gotten in on this thread in awile to update, specially for the 3 other people that were promised side mounts last week. Ive posted in a few of his other threads too and try to IM him and he doesnt respond. Maybe hes super busy with something right now who knows, but hopefully he will chime in soon for you guys
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
It takes a full 5 days to get to me from CA, so when they come they come.
At this point it's good news to hear, but I'm not paying to get the current ones replaced again.
The side I can do & if I do get all 3 new mounts I may be able to do the front now that the stock one is not on there theres more room to work & it's only 4 bolts & a long extension.
The rear I refuse to touch.

The AC will make it vibrate more. Nature of the car. My AC is always on so I always have vibrations. even with stock mounts.
I was going to try to push a few rubber washers at the mounting point of the AC compressors to see if it helped with that. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
So far it actually seems to be getting even smoother at idle. Most of the times i dont even think about it anymore or even realize when im at a stop light. Of course my subs may be distracting me too It seemed to be that way too when i put the front and side on and got better as i drove it. Maybe the mounts like soften up or settle or something after theyve been driven on for a few miles or maybe you just dont notice it as much after youve driven with it for awile.Maybe someone can chime on on this and maybe explain if that is true and why it would be true. So far ive gone almost 300 miles on them and so far so good! I havent been using ac so not sure how the idle feels with that on yet but theres a few more months yet before it starts getting hot enough for ac. Hopefully the rest of you will get your mounts soon! I already emailed innovative sunday night about my results.

On a side note, i wonder why Josh has not gotten in on this thread in awile to update, specially for the 3 other people that were promised side mounts last week. Ive posted in a few of his other threads too and try to IM him and he doesnt respond. Maybe hes super busy with something right now who knows, but hopefully he will chime in soon for you guys
That's good news. The mounts do settle in. They are firmer right in the beginning.

On a side note, I received no IM's from you about this and I responded to all my PM's as of Friday. Yes we are really busy and I sent Innovative some emails and was awaiting a response before I chimed in. They are supposed to call me back with the tracking #'s for the other members. They have sent out some mounts to other testers too (not from AZ) and have sent some 2 mounts, some 3 mounts, and some 1 side mount just to get an idea of the different scenarios. The other 3 testers should have tracking #'s by the end of the day as I called Innovative yesterday and they said they would get it for me.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Any tracking numbers yet for test side mounts?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
It takes a full 5 days to get to me from CA, so when they come they come.
At this point it's good news to hear, but I'm not paying to get the current ones replaced again.
The side I can do & if I do get all 3 new mounts I may be able to do the front now that the stock one is not on there theres more room to work & it's only 4 bolts & a long extension.
The rear I refuse to touch.

The AC will make it vibrate more. Nature of the car. My AC is always on so I always have vibrations. even with stock mounts.
I was going to try to push a few rubber washers at the mounting point of the AC compressors to see if it helped with that. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
I kind of had the same feelings as you at first about the rear, which is why at first i paid acura to do the first rear i got. I didnt like the old rear and decided what the F and just tried it myself and it wasnt hard at all to put the stock rear back in, just time consuming. And obviously i did it again putting in the redesigned rear mount. If you can do the front, you can definatly do the rear, dont let it scare you, its pretty easy

Oh and i also removed the stock vacuum lines and soleniod for the front mount since all that is not needed since the front is no longer vacuum controlled.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Kilos of yayo in

When doing the rear how did you get it off did you have to take out the header pipe? Did you take the bracket off the rear mount? There was just not enough room for me to work with when I tried it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

i just pulled it loose and worked it out. had to bend the heater hose bracket up a little to make some more room.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I have a little more junk in the way at the rear. An added strut bar for 1 & some wires. I have big hands & can not get down there. I also don't have 4 hours to attempt it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro

You have to take the strut bar out and move the actuator out of the way. the first time i did it only took a couple hours. But if you dont want to do it, dont do it
Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i just pulled it loose and worked it out. had to bend the heater hose bracket up a little to make some more room.
I just got your tracking # for your side mount. I should have more shortly:

FEDEX 632885961012919
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I just got your tracking # for your side mount. I should have more shortly:

FEDEX 632885961012919
thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Ok received test side mount today. Will try to get in ASAP and get back to innovative so the rest of you guys can start getting yours. No return airbill though I hope they don't expect me to pay shipping back. Will report back as soon as its in.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Ok received test side mount today. Will try to get in ASAP and get back to innovative so the rest of you guys can start getting yours. No return airbill though I hope they don't expect me to pay shipping back. Will report back as soon as its in.
Well I guess I don't need to give you the tracking # I just got today since you already have it.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
josh, are cleancl and I in their system so we can get the new mounts?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Tracking request please
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When will everyone else swap the 1gen mounts to the new ones?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Kilos of yayo in

I would honestly wait until things are completely worked out. But thats just me. Hopefully this all gets ironed out soon and most of the major issues are addressed.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike
josh, are cleancl and I in their system so we can get the new mounts?
Everyone should be able to get new side mounts but they are just sending out the first few to test them out to see the results.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Tracking request please
I emailed them about yours; I'm just waiting for a response.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious, and don't mean to be off topic. But are there any owners of these mounts who didn't have issues either installing them or not liking the ride quality vs. OEM? Didn't feel it was worth starting a new thread.

The reason I ask is that I have a set that I bought back in Janurary and I am not going to install them till I replace my timing belt and other 105k maintenance, since it makes more sense to do them all at once.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcl-s
Just curious, and don't mean to be off topic. But are there any owners of these mounts who didn't have issues either installing them or not liking the ride quality vs. OEM? Didn't feel it was worth starting a new thread.

The reason I ask is that I have a set that I bought back in Janurary and I am not going to install them till I replace my timing belt and other 105k maintenance, since it makes more sense to do them all at once.
There was no installation issues here and the vibrations are more present, but nothing bad.

The issue I do have though is an aftermarket exhaust sounding, sound, since I have installed them.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Originally Posted by slowcl-s

If you get the corrected side mount the install should not be too bad. The ride quality is not that bad at all but I am only using rear and side mount at this point (the incorrect side mount to boot). I will hopefully get the rear in soon but even with front and side innovative mounts I do notice the difference in acceleration and the vibration is not horrible. I think it got better with time. If you don't use the AC much you probably won't notice it much at all.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S

The issue I do have though is an aftermarket exhaust sounding, sound, since I have installed them.
would that be at idle, low rpm or high rpms?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

There was no installation issues here and the vibrations are more present, but nothing bad.

i want to know if you installed them yourself or a shop did. i just can't understand how all side mounts have issues and then yours is perfect??

anyway i get my mount today!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Is it possible that using the incorrect side mount sags the engine over just a tad? After installing it the car seems to be a tiny bit lower on that side. Might be unrelated too though, I have not gotten a chance to install the new side mount hopefully tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Uses turn signals in my

would that be at idle, low rpm or high rpms?
Underload, probably 15% throttle or more (I've put the apexi in the glovebox, so I can't view it)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
i want to know if you installed them yourself or a shop did. i just can't understand how all side mounts have issues and then yours is perfect??

anyway i get my mount today!
I had AR Racing do them, and there was no mention of any problem installing them. The shop that did it works with P2R, I had Sean check it out when he measuring my CL for the new intake and he said they were definitely installed correctly. We are going to troubleshoot about the sound later, so I can fix the problem or get a new mount(s), whichever is necessary.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Underload, probably 15% throttle or more (I've put the apexi in the glovebox, so I can't view it)
throw up a couple of sound clips at different speeds for us if you can. how is the vibration in the cabin at idle w/the AC on?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Uses turn signals in my

throw up a couple of sound clips at different speeds for us if you can. how is the vibration in the cabin at idle w/the AC on?
I'll see what I can do, I'm heading off the beach soon, but after that I'll see if I can get a good clip.

Not too bad, it is noticeable at idle, but plenty bareable, at highway speeds it is not noticeable at all.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Is it possible that using the incorrect side mount sags the engine over just a tad? After installing it the car seems to be a tiny bit lower on that side. Might be unrelated too though, I have not gotten a chance to install the new side mount hopefully tomorrow.
no the inncorect side mount is to high by about 1/8" and in turn raises the motor that amount.

I had AR Racing do them, and there was no mention of any problem installing them. The shop that did it works with P2R, I had Sean check it out when he measuring my CL for the new intake and he said they were definitely installed correctly. We are going to troubleshoot about the sound later, so I can fix the problem or get a new mount(s), whichever is necessary.
i also got my side mount to install. just started all 3 bolts and then cranked them down. then raised the motor up some to get the main bolt through. i just wasn't comfortable with all the forcing and took it out.
i just find it weird that your car is any different that ours. o well.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM
MP90 uninstalled

I want to see some pics people
Old 03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Of what the engine mounts installed? I think there were some earlier in this thread or they may be in the black market thread on the mounts.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Uses turn signals in my

It was hard to capture the sound it makes, on video, but here is my attempts:

The Control: reving, regular sound it makes (well w/ the new intake).

Messing with the throttle to try to bring out the sound. Unfortunately the video doesn't capture the sound too well.

I'll try to get one at cruising speeds where there is no irregular sounds.

Quick Reply: Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**