Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems to me that if you firm up the three that have been made by innovative, front, rear, and side, and not the trans mounts, the two small, softer than polly, OEM rubber mounts would act as the end of a tuning fork for rouge vibrations. Not exactly of course but it doesnt smell right to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by jproy
Why are none of you and Innovative concerned about the two trans mounts next to the driver side front wheel? To me it plays just as much of a role in keeping that sucker still. The engine and trans are basically one big block held down by four points the front, rear mount, the side and two small trans mounts. If my small trans mounts are busted I will be replacing them and regardless filling them and the side mount with Polly. The two small trans mounts seem to be just as flimsy as the side mount.
Replaced those like three days after I got my motor mounts in. My transmission mounts were busted.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
MP90 uninstalled

How busted were they? Can you take a pic of the destruction and post? I cant wait to see what mine look like as I will be tearing the whole front end down soon.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Uses turn signals in my

How busted were they? Can you take a pic of the destruction and post? I cant wait to see what mine look like as I will be tearing the whole front end down soon.
I got a picture and a quick video:

Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
they really built our cars well, huh. what a joke. i've lost a lot of respect for honda/acura in the last 3-4 years.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Holy shit! Thanks for getting that up so quick. Very relevant to this thread! Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Holy shit! Thanks for getting that up so quick. Very relevant to this thread! Why am I not surprised?
No problem. They were already on my Photobucket from the night I had the mounts installed. Putting in the new transmission mounts did smooth things up a bit, especially during shifts.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
It seems to me that if you firm up the three that have been made by innovative, front, rear, and side, and not the trans mounts, the two small, softer than polly, OEM rubber mounts would act as the end of a tuning fork for rouge vibrations. Not exactly of course but it doesnt smell right to me.
Hum, could be . . . I'll have to check in to them as soon as I have a bit more time. I'm betting they are busted as well seeing that the front mount was toast.

BUT . . . I did pop the hood to see if I could see them easily, and I happened to look at the front mount again . . . and the nut from the center bolt came off!

I'm not sure how that could happen as I thought there was a lock washer on it. But damn, that's scary and I'll need to jump on that quickly.

Ruf
Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
i just got off the phone with tim at innovative and he said the mounts should be back from powder coating in a day or so. he noted that he has one last QC test fit before he sends them all out.

does anyone else have any updates?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
MP90 uninstalled

FYI- the trans mounts for the 6mt and auto are completely different.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RUF87
Hum, could be . . . I'll have to check in to them as soon as I have a bit more time. I'm betting they are busted as well seeing that the front mount was toast.

BUT . . . I did pop the hood to see if I could see them easily, and I happened to look at the front mount again . . . and the nut from the center bolt came off!

I'm not sure how that could happen as I thought there was a lock washer on it. But damn, that's scary and I'll need to jump on that quickly.

Ruf
I told you when you first posted pix of the front mount your center bolt was not tightened down and it would come loose!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so how many people with tls have had problems with their motor mounts? i was supposed to get mine installed tommorrow but im thinkin about waiting...
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by yunginTL
so how many people with tls have had problems with their motor mounts? i was supposed to get mine installed tommorrow but im thinkin about waiting...
If I were you, I'd take some measurements of the sidemount mounting holes on the mount and compare them to those on the frame and see if they match up. If they don't, give innovative a call.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
trill recognize trill

how do take measurements without taking the side mount out?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yunginTL
how do take measurements without taking the side mount out?
you really can't plus how are you doing to measure the distance between the upper mount hole and the lower 2? also what you can't measure is if the center pin hole is higher than stock. you are going to have to remove the side and just test fit the mount to really know.

i'm willing to be that not one side mount is correct. the people that are saying they fit fine had a shop install them and they just forced them in.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Kilos of yayo in

How will forcing it in affect things in the future? I think mine was off your probably right about none of them being right. I was able to get it in by tightening everything at the end but I don't want to take it out again to install a new one . My side was completely torn not supporting the engine at all and the bolts holding the bracket on were stripped in a strange way because they were taking all the weight. I am afraid to take the bracket off again in fear of not being able to get it back on. I have the front and side mount in at the moment and there is definately an improvement in acceleration. Also I am not having a humming noise like someone else described with the side mount in so maybe I got the right one I don't know but the holes were just a bit off. So once again what will happen if I run this mount will it break something eventually? Its tightened down.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Edit. It would not let me edit my last post. Honestly after looking at the pic fuzzycls posted of how off the holes were on his I might have had the right one because mine were not nearly that much off. And just a little foolin around with it got it in ok so I might have gotten the right one right off the bat . Anyhow I am going to try putting in rear today wish me luck! Also any of you guys with auto transmission when you did the rear did you remove the bracket? It looks like it might be kind of hard to get that bracket out but I don't really see any other way of doing it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

i was considering drilling out the mounting holes on the side mount just to get it to fit

maybe the shops took this approach
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

ya i think you can for sure drill out the holes and get that to line up. what bothers me is the fact when i had mine installed and only pulled the center pin the motor dropped. now before y'all go off saying duh the mount supports the motor...i took the innovative out and put the oem on and the center bolt slid right in without raising the engine. proving that yes that center sleeve is in fact ~1/8" to high on the innovative mount. as for future issues due to the motor being raised on that side...i have no clue but i'm sure the engineers had it right the first time for a reason.
anyway i'm done sounding like a broken record. i just hope innovative got it correct this time around, for their own profit sake!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
I told you when you first posted pix of the front mount your center bolt was not tightened down and it would come loose!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz Boy, how did I miss that . . . twice

Ruf
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
ya i think you can for sure drill out the holes and get that to line up. what bothers me is the fact when i had mine installed and only pulled the center pin the motor dropped. now before y'all go off saying duh the mount supports the motor...i took the innovative out and put the oem on and the center bolt slid right in without raising the engine. proving that yes that center sleeve is in fact ~1/8" to high on the innovative mount. as for future issues due to the motor being raised on that side...i have no clue but i'm sure the engineers had it right the first time for a reason.
anyway i'm done sounding like a broken record. i just hope innovative got it correct this time around, for their own profit sake!
It'll be interesting to see if the new mounts have been corrected to fix both alignment problems.

I'm playing with some ideas to have an issolation spacer tested for the rear mount and front mounts. I'll do them independently just to see what impact it has. I don't have my OEM front mount anymore, but I recall some sort of heavy rubber insert of sorts. I'm wondering if that's what Honda designed to reduce vibrations.

Anyway, I hope to have time to play with it this weekend. If it works and how much thickness is needed. I know what ever thickness is added will increase the height of the mount, which would need to be fixed long term. The challenge will be how to do that with existing mounts. I'll be working in 1/16" increments, so hopefully just one will work and that may be okay to run with.

Ruf
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
From the pics I posted drilling out the mounting hole is not a good idea. The hole is off so much you would be drilling out near the edge of the bracket. There wouldn't be enough metal to support that bolt & the bracket hole would crack right off under stress.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Do not modify the mount please. Innovative is in the process of finishing the new side mounts and they may ask you for your side mount back. However, I spoke to them and it seems they are almost finished with the new side mount. I should have pictures of the newly installed mount and updates within the next few days. They said they have spoken to a number of you on the phone so that is good. I will post in this thread when I have more updates.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

They did, but all they told us was to call back end of week. No other details when asked other then they are working on a new batch.
I'll call them tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Man I could not get that rear mount in, Kicked my ass completely. I am going to have my mechanic do it. The front and side were easy this one was a real bitch,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to hear about the rear mount. I almost gave up myself cause I was sick as hell while doing it. Definitely need the right tools and lots of patience. Oh yeah, and skinny arms for the tight ass space. I thought someone said it was easy...

How far did you get before saying f' it?

On another note - If you did mod the side mount, you'd need to drill out each of the holes slightly rather than just drilling the top one out. This might leave enough meat on the bracket to support all the bolts. Per Excelerate, I'm not touching mine - waiting on the correct one. It'll be nice knowing its not ghetto.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Just for the record: I was stuck in traffic for two hours today, moving less than 10 mph the whole two hours and the vibrations from my mounts were plenty bareable.

Now for being stuck on the turnpike on a part that normally takes 7 minutes to travel for two hours, that was a PITA
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Originally Posted by TitaniumCLS6MT
Sorry to hear about the rear mount. I almost gave up myself cause I was sick as hell while doing it. Definitely need the right tools and lots of patience. Oh yeah, and skinny arms for the tight ass space. I thought someone said it was easy...

How far did you get before saying f' it?

On another note - If you did mod the side mount, you'd need to drill out each of the holes slightly rather than just drilling the top one out. This might leave enough meat on the bracket to support all the bolts. Per Excelerate, I'm not touching mine - waiting on the correct one. It'll be nice knowing its not ghetto.
I got all the bolts off that hold the mount in. There was not enough room to wiggle it out, could not get the engine jacked up enough to slide it out from under the bracket. Could not get the bracket bolts off at all. If I had a lift I could probably have done it but there was no room under the car to work my jack sucks and I can't get the car jacked up that high. I think my jack is going out on me and I didn't feel like being under an engine that was being supported by a faulty jack so I said screw it and bolted the old mount back in. At least I got front and side in those were actually really easy and the car feels way way better now. I was getting really bad engine vibration before and I could feel the engine bucking with my old broken mounts so we will see how it feels with all of them in.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Man I don't know whats going on, The mechanic showed me and the rear mount would not fit at all. it lifted the engine way too much. I don't know if I got a bad one or what. Its going to cost me like 400 just to get my old mount put back in. Sucks horribly. Don't know if it was made wrong or what but I could see the engine was way too high with it in.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i just got back from the shop and put a new rear OEM mount back in. night and day difference between the 2. my car is now good to be driven daily w/o the shaking, harsh vibrations and rattles.

who wants to buy my rear mount??

oh almost forgot...the innovative mount causes the car to drop so it handles better. the OEM has the opposite effect.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

you should of compared the 2 mounts side by side. if you already have the innovative mount pulled measure from a flat surface to the center of the center sleeve. innovative should be able to confirm your dimensions.
the trick to removing that rear was to spin the mount with in the motor bracket so that the bottom plate was on top. then pull the mount out. i don't even know if it is possible to jack the motor up high enough so that the engine bracket clears the mount, must be ~2".
Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Put the shorter one in front. I thought by reading the black market thread taller goes in back if I remember correctly. I may just leave it out I should heeded mikes warning and just left the rear out I guess. Ya live ya learn.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Just called Tim again. Not done call back Tuesday.

This place blows!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Put the shorter one in front. I thought by reading the black market thread taller goes in back if I remember correctly. I may just leave it out I should heeded mikes warning and just left the rear out I guess. Ya live ya learn.
oops sorry i was speaking of the 6 speed mount, completely different.

fuzzy-
AGREED!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Yeah I am done buyin parts for this car
Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM
MP90 uninstalled

What a horrible experience this has been for you guys. There is no way I would consider this. Just to much hassle. I cant believe how they dropped the ball on R&D like this. Knowing that, I want nothing to do the company. Those of you with out of pocket expenses should be compensated. Its the right thing to do.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Just called Tim again. Not done call back Tuesday.

This place blows!

I was just going to ask if anybody got ahold of them yet. I tried calling and no answer. Im not suprised its still not done with all the delays we had previously. Hopefully this second one will be perfect and fit BETTER than oem lol

Jordan
Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Cruisin'

I only have the rear innovative in but I was wondering why the car seemed lower - thought I was imagining it. I guess the axles pivot some?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Cruisin'

sorry, meant to quote mike for above statement

Originally Posted by Mike
i just got back from the shop and put a new rear OEM mount back in. night and day difference between the 2. my car is now good to be driven daily w/o the shaking, harsh vibrations and rattles.

who wants to buy my rear mount??

oh almost forgot...the innovative mount causes the car to drop so it handles better. the OEM has the opposite effect.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I know Innovative isn't the best on ETA's but they have taken this issue seriously and immediately worked on a solution. I'm sure they appreciate your patience and they are sorry for the delay. Please allow them a few more days to get the new mounts finished. It must go through multiple stages from material to manufacturing to finishing to powdercoating and then the polyurethane inserts too. Then, also there will be another test fitment before they are released. I will contact them again on Mon/Tues to get another update.

Quick Reply: Innovative motor mount discussion. **New mount info on page 13**