2006 TSX Info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
I am pretty sure Acura had these yearly upgrades planned in advance of initially launching the first TSX. Sour grapes? Yes. But you have to admit that they "intentionally" left out some really important goodies up till now.

Not only did us 04 owners pay virtually the same money for less features, these new items will also further decrease our resale value.

That is how interpreted what the "Complaining Clowns" were bitching about.
Of course Acura intentionally left out stuff for the MMC. Doesn't every manufacturer do this?

Pick your poison:

If you get the first model year, then peoply say you get first year bugs. But you get the benefit of having a hot car thats new.

If you get the MMC, the car isnt as hot or new, but it has new stuff that the first or second year cars didnt have.

If you get the last two years of the car, then a new model that is most likely faster, better looking, and equipped with more features is just about to come up.

There will always be a better, faster, more equipped car coming up in the future. You can keep waiting for the perfect car, but then you will be waiting forever.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
if you really don't think any other brands does refreshes then you are a fool.
the camry has gone through a refresh with new headlights and tail lights.
benz c class got a facelift a while ago with new headlights and bumpers.
please think before you post.
uh...i guess you don't read
the acura change the front bumper, rear bumper, and side
we haven't seen any pic.....but it may be a redesign
minor change is usually tail or headlight or both....
facelift doesn't happen that much....

RSX that's minor change but it took it wat....4 yrs?
TSX that's like wat...2 yrs? for all the bumpers?....have you seen that?
maybe it's cuz of Euro-R .......

I am guessing you are happy with car that change exterior every 2 yrs eh

haha wat a fool
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Wish they'd bring Milano Red back to Canada

without Plood (Fake Wood Interior) of course.

Looking at the US website this color is hot.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Originally Posted by corey415
Of course Acura intentionally left out stuff for the MMC. Doesn't every manufacturer do this?

Pick your poison:

If you get the first model year, then peoply say you get first year bugs. But you get the benefit of having a hot car thats new.

If you get the MMC, the car isnt as hot or new, but it has new stuff that the first or second year cars didnt have.

If you get the last two years of the car, then a new model that is most likely faster, better looking, and equipped with more features is just about to come up.

There will always be a better, faster, more equipped car coming up in the future. You can keep waiting for the perfect car, but then you will be waiting forever.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Racer

Talking

Yup, I think you've got it there. New car, new style. Get a bunch of ppl to buy it at a lower than competition price with a few goodies. Then, after the buy in and reviews, make a few additions to get more of them on the road. Then make a MMC with lots of goodies the current owners are asking for to eventually bring the price up to where the others are at. I think it's just standard marketing.

Ofcourse, I'm no expert and have no real basis for any of these comments..... okay, I'm going back to sleep now.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crfortin
without Plood (Fake Wood Interior) of course.

Looking at the US website this color is hot.
I think they oughta offer the milano red w/ quartz interior in the U.S. That's a great combo. I too, would not tolerate the "plood" and so picked CGP w/quartz instead, but my dealer had a red TSX in the showroom that was gorgeous and did give me second thoughts. Also, I have a neighbor who has a red TSX, and for some reason, (perhaps b/c there's is no contrast with the all red taillight lenses?), I find that from a distance, it looks sort of econobox-ish from the back. Maybe the addition of some yellow lenses on the '06 will fix that?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Ha, reading this thread is cracking me up. It's almost like Acura was reading this site to see what changes people wanted and then accomodating them perfectly (and then some). Sounds pretty smart to me! Find out what the customers want and give it to them.

Then we get clowns on here COMPLAINING that Acura is making these changes! Talk about sour grapes! I just bought my 05, and I'd love to have these new features (especially the new nav system). But that doesn't diminish the fact that I love my car. And you won't hear me saying idiotic things like "if this is how Acura treats people, I'll never buy another one again etc. etc. blah blah blah." They've added almost everything that was asked for! It's kind of nice to have a manufacturer that is so tuned into what their customers want.

If you get your knickers in a twist because you bought an '04 or an '05 and don't have these features, you need to get over it. Or go buy an '06. You got what you paid for.

I absolutely agree. I think many here have underrated the 04 to 05 changes--I thought the lighted steering wheel controls, power pass. seat and heated mirrors were significant and worth waiting for. And while there are reportedly some really good technical upgrades for 06 --memory seat and bluetooth--I think the styling changes will be very modest, given historical Honda behavior. Moreover, more often than not, I have disliked the honda mid-term styling tweaks. Examples: The prior series TL headlight mod (adding bulging headlamps) always looked like an afterthought to me. The '05 Accord's all red taillights make that car's ugly tailight issue even worse, IMHO. Altho I don't much like any of them, I think the 03 and 04 versions look far better than the 05's all-red lamps. And the 1990-94 series Accord had much better looking taillights in its first two years than after they were "freshened" for the last two years of the model run. So on these styling changes, including the changes to the dash and interior, it's a crap shoot. In the end, I think I will still be very happy with my '05!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by kyotousa

haha wat a fool

Its not a redesign. If you noticed, the 05 RSX also has new headlights, tailights, bumpers and new interior trim/style, just like the 06 TSX will. Its a refresh.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyotousa

haha wat a fool
Please see what kind of "Refresh" that a German made after 3 yr
99 E46 (see the hood, the grill, the headlight, the taillight, the bumpers and side

And here is a 02 E46

Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm a llama :(

A refresh gives the car a newer look without the cost of a complete redesign. Honda does it tastefully and it usually does look like a newer model with minimal changes. That gives them a couple more years before a redesign without looking dated.

Do you guys think they do it on purpose to save money? Like, they could have added all those features from day one but it would have cost them a lot more money. Or maybe they do it because they don't want to load it up before they know the car if the car will be a success or not. Maybe they read forums to find out what desirable option is missing and what people want most.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:29 AM
10th Gear

Well....Let's see.

There are upgrades that actually add new items. These include HandsFreeLink interface, Auxiliary audio jack, fog lights and even the "New" meter face.

Cheap-ass Honda will not give these away for free.

The remaining improvements are tweaks that will slightly increase the cost of manufacturing each unit: reshaping plastic parts (bumpers and side sills), replacing engine (intake and exhaust) and other parts (wheels, steering wheel, etc), just to name a few.

While $1500 may be a bit high, you have to admit there are a significant number of improvements ... almost as many as for the new 3-series.

With all do respect, there is something to be said about price ceilings. Acura has designed and marketed the TSX as their entry level sedan. The cost of production is reduced every year that they continue to output the same base vehicle, regardless of the little perks that are thrown in. Acura already has their low/mid 30's car, the TL. The TSX would defeat its purpose if it was thrown into the 30+ level.

As time goes by everything gets better and improves in any industry related to technology. So to say that everytime you get more for your money, the price is going to increase, thats crazy. In a the competitive world of the auto industry, in order to compete you must keep up with the pack. That doesn't mean to say their is always going to be a huge price jump. Otherwise the new 3-series should be in the 40,000's if you compare it to what you got for the same price years ago.

As for Honda being cheap... Acura gives you more for your money than any other high end line of cars. The base 3-series, IS 300, and Audi A4 dont come with nearly as much as even the TSX does in terms of extras... leather, sunroof, 6 disk 360 watt stereo, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
And I love the new SAE ratings too, can't wait to see the actual HP rating of the VQ and the FSE engines. I know they are overrated.
I also noticed that BMW has been rating their cars in SAE all along? The new 3-series is 255 hp SAE, was the old one also 225 hp SAE or is the actual hp increase more than 30 hp?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
A refresh gives the car a newer look without the cost of a complete redesign. Honda does it tastefully and it usually does look like a newer model with minimal changes. That gives them a couple more years before a redesign without looking dated.

Do you guys think they do it on purpose to save money? Like, they could have added all those features from day one but it would have cost them a lot more money. Or maybe they do it because they don't want to load it up before they know the car if the car will be a success or not. Maybe they read forums to find out what desirable option is missing and what people want most.
They do it to keep the design fresh. You have to give new buyers an incentive to buy a new car as the model ages, otherwise they will not be as competitive with the "fresh" models from competitors. I'm sure they had these changes planned a while ago, but the original deisgn was planned even longer. It's just something we have to get used to, on the bright side, a 2004 TSX is still a current-generation TSX.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I also noticed that BMW has been rating their cars in SAE all along? The new 3-series is 255 hp SAE, was the old one also 225 hp SAE or is the actual hp increase more than 30 hp?
I believe the old rating system was also referred to as SAE -- that's why Honda/Acura are denoting the new rating system by calling it SAE 8/04 (meaning the SAE rating defined in August 2004).

Some people think we are seeing these different HP numbers now for an entirely different reason:
Originally Posted by from a post over on VTEC.net
Most European manufacturers, including Honda Europe, use the ECE 85 standard (the same as EEC 80/1269), replacing the older DIN 70020 still used in Japan which does not specify normal engine accessories such as cooling fans and oil, water and fuel pumps. The ECE/EEC standard is calculated at more favorable temperature and pressure than the SAE, giving slight improvements for most engines (reduced for turbocharged engines which create their own artificial temperature and pressure).

What has happened in the past is that import manufacturers in the US have been slack in converting their domestic test results in DIN or EEC standards and often metric hp (PS) to the SAE standard and US hp. Honda and Toyota by and large have simply reported the Japanese test results in DIN PS as SAE hp without any corrections at all, as does Hyundai with their Korean figures. BMW simply converts EEC metric hp to US hp, without correcting to the SAE standard (much more difficult). VW often doesn't even bother to do that, simply reporting EEC PS as SAE hp.

This is the real reason for the big change in reported output for these engines.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
04 remembrance

If Salesmen are "vendors" on this site, I'm pretty sure the Acura people do their research on the internet as well.

With that said...IMA '08 and I'll definitely trade-in!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by xjohnwx
With all do respect, there is something to be said about price ceilings. Acura has designed and marketed the TSX as their entry level sedan. The cost of production is reduced every year that they continue to output the same base vehicle, regardless of the little perks that are thrown in. Acura already has their low/mid 30's car, the TL. The TSX would defeat its purpose if it was thrown into the 30+ level.

As time goes by everything gets better and improves in any industry related to technology. So to say that everytime you get more for your money, the price is going to increase, thats crazy. In a the competitive world of the auto industry, in order to compete you must keep up with the pack. That doesn't mean to say their is always going to be a huge price jump. Otherwise the new 3-series should be in the 40,000's if you compare it to what you got for the same price years ago.

As for Honda being cheap... Acura gives you more for your money than any other high end line of cars. The base 3-series, IS 300, and Audi A4 dont come with nearly as much as even the TSX does in terms of extras... leather, sunroof, 6 disk 360 watt stereo, etc.
Very good point regarding the diminished cost with respect to larger production numbers. The price bump may indeed be minimal according to your logic.

Given what has been discussed in this current thread, it seems that there is even more incentive NOT to buy a 1st or even 2nd year model. For the same price, I would rather purchase a complete car, rather than show off a new model with missing parts.

By the way, Honda does not give you more for your money; they are very good at convincing you that they are. If you own a Honda product, you will know what I'm referring to.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Top notch 6MT

Thumbs up Mother of all new threads this year

I was away from AZ for only few days and this mother of all new threads has already grown to 10+ pages Having said that, please understand that I can't possibly read thru all these pages, so just let me throw this simple question out

When can we expect to see '06 TSX in showrooms?

Can't wait to see pix of it and in person... curious about the integrated foglamps, hmm....
Old 08-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
I was away from AZ for only few days and this mother of all new threads has already grown to 10+ pages Having said that, please understand that I can't possibly read thru all these pages, so just let me throw this simple question out

When can we expect to see '06 TSX in showrooms?

Can't wait to see pix of it and in person... curious about the integrated foglamps, hmm....

Just wanted to say that.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Motohip
:dog:

Just wanted to say that.
What took you so long to say that? I was expecting someone to say that

Actually another question if I may Nothing about the tranny is mentioned, so I guess they are keeping the same gearing on the 6MT
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

By the way, Honda does not give you more for your money; they are very good at convincing you that they are. If you own a Honda product, you will know what I'm referring to.
More what? Problems...then no. Relability...then yes. Personally I've never viewed Honda as a company that gives you a lot of bells and whistles for you dollar -- IMO that would be Pontiac. I do feel what Honda offers is (by and large) a very well engineered product that's solidly built. With the S2000 they took an even more spartan approach with animities, but in exchange gave you more performance. I've had several people that are surprised how "cheap" the S2000 is for the amount of performance it offers. BTW, those comments have come after I've taken them out on a test drive.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually another question if I may Nothing about the tranny is mentioned, so I guess they are keeping the same gearing on the 6MT
They are doing away with the MT since the AT is more fun. 7AT is where its at.......

j/k
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure that making a gearing change to sixth gear would be deem important enough to get listed in those details they've released so far. So at this point I think that still TBA.

Here's another one, they didn't mention beefing up the brakes at all but hopefully they did. I say that because many current owners say that's a weak point on this car -- relative to its competition. Speaking of brakes, I see Acura touting the EBA (electronic brake assist) as new for the 2006. I wonder how that's really different from an '04/'05 that already has EBD and VSA?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love all the new interior goodies... but you know acura is coming out with a type S soon!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:07 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by BlackAc036
but you know acura is coming out with a type S soon!

I can just buy a decal for a type S for 15 bucks
Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 PM

My guess is that it won't be changed. Although people complain about second, so maybe they should change it. And I don't think anyone knows for sure when it will be released.

I can't wait to see pictures also.

I wonder if they are keeping the 17" wheels. I think they should up it to 18.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by STL
More what? Problems...then no. Relability...then yes. Personally I've never viewed Honda as a company that gives you a lot of bells and whistles for you dollar -- IMO that would be Pontiac. I do feel what Honda offers is (by and large) a very well engineered product that's solidly built. With the S2000 they took an even more spartan approach with animities, but in exchange gave you more performance. I've had several people that are surprised how "cheap" the S2000 is for the amount of performance it offers. BTW, those comments have come after I've taken them out on a test drive.
You're right about the S2000, but isn't the TSX selling point in fact the "bells and whistles"?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:11 PM
"You are just a puppet.."

new blue color

the new blue color is offered for the body kits on https://online.mugen-power.com/b2c/
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by artmcd88
the new blue color is offered for the body kits on https://online.mugen-power.com/b2c/
Ok... most of us here can't read japanese. Can you just hotlink the pic?

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

i know this doesn't go with the current flow of this thread, but i figured i'll post my about the 06 TSX.

all of the new convenience features (bluetooth, memory seats, aux in, etc) are everything i wanted in the TSX. before there was a fairly large gap between the TSX and the TL but now the main difference is just hp&torque, which i can definitely live with. i'm hoping the 06 TSX will look even better than it does now so it can pull me away from the IS250 (please don't hate me for saying that). if i have to complain about something though, i wish they offered the RSX's Magnesium Metallic on the 06 TSX. i think that color would look very on the TSX.

let's hope pics surface soon. i'm eager to see what the new Alabaster Silver Metallic looks like.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by STL
I'm not sure that making a gearing change to sixth gear would be deem important enough to get listed in those details they've released so far. So at this point I think that still TBA.

Here's another one, they didn't mention beefing up the brakes at all but hopefully they did. I say that because many current owners say that's a weak point on this car -- relative to its competition. Speaking of brakes, I see Acura touting the EBA (electronic brake assist) as new for the 2006. I wonder how that's really different from an '04/'05 that already has EBD and VSA?
Ammm... I didn't mean changing the gearing on the 6th gear.... I meant changing gearing (the infamous 2nd gear being taller than most like) on the 6MT like what Motohip said.

EBD on 04/05? I didn't know there's EBD on the '05... I know there's VSA.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:54 AM
"You are just a puppet.."

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Ok... most of us here can't read japanese. Can you just hotlink the pic?

thanks
they took down the online store for now...that link used to be right to it
Old 08-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Intermediate

Boy, that is just way too mysterious--I think maybe Jerry Fallwell was right about you, TinkyWinky. Pray, tell us what you mean.

That said, I'm not sure what the phrase "more for your money" means, anyway. Honda has roughly similar input costs as everyone else, and they obviously need to make $$$ for their stockholders. They are not "giving anything away."

I think what people mean when they say this is that Honda achieves a very desireable mix of quality, features and price. Yes, the cars could use higher quality materials, but they would cost a lot more. I think Honda should get more aggressive on styling (e.g., the Mazda 3).

I also think Hondas have a more European flavor than, say, Toyota, and that that gives Honda a following among "enthusiasts." Toyotas are great cars, but IMHO, they are aimed more at traditional Buick buyers----cushy seats, soft, quiet ride, and extremely reliable.

You sound a little bit like my neighbor who buys BMWs and Benzs and tells me he thinks japanese cars are a "bad value." He just paid a premium markup for his car, and a brake job will cost him $900. So where's the value???
Old 08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
TSX User

Originally Posted by MDBernie
Boy, that is just way too mysterious--I think maybe Jerry Fallwell was right about you, TinkyWinky. Pray, tell us what you mean.

That said, I'm not sure what the phrase "more for your money" means, anyway. Honda has roughly similar input costs as everyone else, and they obviously need to make $$$ for their stockholders. They are not "giving anything away."

You sound a little bit like my neighbor who buys BMWs and Benzs and tells me he thinks japanese cars are a "bad value." He just paid a premium markup for his car, and a brake job will cost him $900. So where's the value???
OK. For the disbelievers out there, let me clarify.

Anyone who has purchased an Acura (TSX in this case) strongly felt that for the price, they got an excellent deal. We did. Power everything, leather interior, 3-spoke steering wheel with knobs, large-screen navi system, 350W audio system, 17 inch wheels, side mirror indicators...just to name a few. No one for the past couple of years came close to this. Well, maybe the TL.

If you take a closer look at these items, however, you will notice something is not quite right. Many of us have previously complained/bitched on this forum about these shortcomings but somehow managed to convince ourselves we still got a great deal.

But have you noticed the key fob? The thin steering wheel? Heavy alloy wheels? The sunroof switch design from 1990? The not-very-durable leather seating surface? The cerebrally-challenged Navi system? Driver-only one-touch windows?

The truth is the TSX was/is a steal and offers more features than any other car at this price. Period. But, in my mind, they were not the exact features I was thinking of.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:23 AM

The sunroof switch design from 1990?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone who has purchased an Acura (TSX in this case) strongly felt that for the price, they got an excellent deal. We did. Power everything, leather interior, 3-spoke steering wheel with knobs, large-screen navi system, 350W audio system, 17 inch wheels, side mirror indicators...just to name a few. No one for the past couple of years came close to this.
I wouldn't even LOOK at a car unless its audio system had 360W.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

... I think Honda should get more aggressive on styling (e.g., the Mazda 3)....
I disagree. I have always liked Hondas in part because of their conservative styling. You can make your car look more aggressive with add-ons if you want. I like the understated styling. If I had wanted an agressive Mazda that will look dated very quickly, I would have bought one.

...I also think Hondas have a more European flavor than, say, Toyota...
Exactly.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK. For the disbelievers out there, let me clarify...

If you take a closer look at these items, however, you will notice something is not quite right. Many of us have previously complained/bitched on this forum about these shortcomings but somehow managed to convince ourselves we still got a great deal.

But have you noticed the key fob? The thin steering wheel? Heavy alloy wheels? The sunroof switch design from 1990? The not-very-durable leather seating surface? The cerebrally-challenged Navi system? Driver-only one-touch windows?

The truth is the TSX was/is a steal and offers more features than any other car at this price. Period. But, in my mind, they were not the exact features I was thinking of.
I disagree. Take for example the one-touch driver window. Do youreally think they didnt include all window one-touch because of price? I doubt it, its a .05$ relay switch that could have been added at the factory. I think these "shortcomings" such as the heavy wheels, etc, were/are deliberate designs by acura.

And what do you mean about the navi? is it too easy to use...?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=RogerPodacter]I disagree. Take for example the one-touch driver window. Do youreally think they didnt include all window one-touch because of price? I doubt it, its a .05$ relay switch that could have been added at the factory. I think these "shortcomings" such as the heavy wheels, etc, were/are deliberate designs by acura. [QUOTE]

I'm not sure. You'd be surprised how much pennies can affect the final design. I think they took the easy way out. The Accord, Pilot and Civic all have driver only 1 touch windows - which are probably price / common parts bin-driven. I'm not sure they considered have the passenger window be 1 touch. I wish it was there.

A lot of people want the passenger seat to be power too, I personally can do without that.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NickR
...A lot of people want the passenger seat to be power too, I personally can do without that.
The passenger seat actually is powered on the 2005s
Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
I disagree. Take for example the one-touch driver window. Do youreally think they didnt include all window one-touch because of price? I doubt it, its a .05$ relay switch that could have been added at the factory. I think these "shortcomings" such as the heavy wheels, etc, were/are deliberate designs by acura.

And what do you mean about the navi? is it too easy to use...?
Yes, they did not add these items because of cost. Again, there is no good reason to have heavy wheels.

As for the Navi, I was referring to the slow CPU. Ever get a TL as a loaner?

Quick Reply: 2006 TSX Info...