2006 TSX Info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only things I'm looking for from the 06 TSX are 04/05 direct swappable LED taillights and better looking grille

Although I'm pretty sure they'll change the shape of the headlights so that the bumper, hood, and fenders will be slightly different... I think of it as similar to the 2nd gen TL refresh during 2001...
Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worry when the new styling is being described as "more aggressive". The world doesn't need another Audi oversized schnozz, a Chrysler 300 manhole cover grille or a Bangle-ized BMW. Those are all touted as being "aggressively" styled. Gag me. One of the TSX's strengths is it's sleek styling. I hope they didn't ruin it.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyotousa
i don't think they change the style ...in 2yrs...
just model number....Lexus does that too

got to admit European car doesn't change style as often as Japan car do
Do you think a owner of pre-facelift E46 dunno about the style change of E46? But the good things is I still love my pre-facelift style way better than the facelifted style. MY 99 is the first year of E46 and MY 01 330 & 325(totally new engine M54) to replace 323 & 328 then MY02 the style of headlight, rear light, front & rear bumpers, hood line, kidney grill, side marker were all changed. Also Audi A4 B5 were out MY 01 and now we have B6 for MY 05. In fact, DC2 keep the style more longer than E46.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Professional Newbie

wait...if the engine is slightly different...does this mean we are screwed for any performance parts coming out in the future for the TSX? (turbo, supercharger, cams, etc...)

maybe that's why comptech was waiting
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
- Looks like the current Navi system will become obselete (i.e., software not upgradable), given that the new system will incorporate HandsFreeLink and will use a faster CPU (shared with the TL or RL, perhaps)
Don't see why Acura won't continute to issue new DVDs. The updates are just data changes, like new roads and businesses. They will need to do the same data changes to the new nav. And frankly, at the price they are charging for the new DVDs, they are not losing money.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

All this talk about the MSRP and not one person brought up the subject of inflation. Prices always go up and on average in this country it goes at about 3% a year. Based on the TSX that will probably be about a $810 increase this year. That is what it would be if averages hold and the new upgrades don't add $ to the price.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:23 AM
VSA Rocks

The TSX has built a strong following among sports sedan buyers, won a plethora of awards (including being twice named to Car & Driver’s 10Best Cars list) and gained a reputation for being both stylish and fun to drive. For 2006, Acura made some dynamic changes to the TSX to enhance its performance, make the styling even sportier and increase interior comfort. The result is a sports sedan that is more luxurious, more aggressive-looking and even more fun to drive.
Modifications to the intake and exhaust systems were made to the TSX’s 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ four cylinder engine to boost horsepower to 205 hp SAE net (Rev 8/04). Interior enhancements include an upgraded navigation system, the HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface, and a digital media auxiliary jack located in the center console for iPod® and MP3 players to name a few.

Outside, the TSX gets sporty, redesigned front and rear fascias, new sidesills, redesigned alloy wheels and standard integrated fog lamps.

Powertrain

Horsepower increased to 205 SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
Torque increased to 164 lbs-ft. SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4500 rpm
Larger intake valves
Increased valve timing and lift
Increased intake and exhaust flow
Reduced engine pumping losses

Chassis

Electronic Brake Assist
Increased rigidity of upper A-arm reduces NVH
Exterior Styling

Restyled hood and grille
Redesigned headlights and combination taillights
Redesigned front and rear bumpers
Fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper
More pronounced side sills
New nine-spoke alloy wheels
Flat wiper blades increase visibility and reduce wind noise
Four new exterior colors: Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver, Glacier Blue Metallic replaces Meteor Silver Metallic, and Deep Green Pearl, and Royal Blue Pearl are added
Interior

2-position memory for driver’s seat
Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface
Sports steering wheel
Multi-info display
New meter face
New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
Metallic garnish added to shift knob.
Smart Maintenance system
Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
Larger buttons and fonts
Faster processing speed
Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
HandsFreeLink calling to POI
More voice recognition commands (653)
Zagat restaurant guide
Exit ramp services feature
Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception
On the surface, it looks like Honda engineers had tweaked the TSX's flawed power curve by having the peak torque arrive later and eliminate the power dip us 04 and 05 owners experience around 5500 rpm. Peak power seems to be acheived at a higher RPM and I would have to assume that the fuel cutoff and redline has been raised a few hundred RPM. Additionally, Honda engineers most likely have changed the vtec engagement point to a more practical RPM (~5000?).

This is bad news to an 05 owner like me. I may be stuck with on simple bolt-ons as my upgrade with no ECU reflash in my future. If no reflash is released, we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for possible head swaps ala LS-VTEC and other configurations. Either way, we'd still need a K-pro or some other ECU upgrade to compensate for the internals.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShredder
All this talk about the MSRP and not one person brought up the subject of inflation. Prices always go up and on average in this country it goes at about 3% a year. Based on the TSX that will probably be about a $810 increase this year. That is what it would be if averages hold and the new upgrades don't add $ to the price.
I can buy an 05 Accord LX right now (arguably a much better car) for less money than I bought my LX 6 years ago (and I paid much less than sticker).

Inflation is a small part of the equation - competition is the name of the game.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

For some reason that doesn't seem to apply to cars. For instance, the cost of the 2006 RSX only when up 0.55% (per VTEC.net). In addition, how do you explain the fact many times car prices don't change at all from MY to MY (and they are MANY examples of that). Lastly, how do you explain that the 2006 RSX-S and 2004 S2000 only went up a few hundred dollars despite getting changes that are just as major as the 2006 TSX is getting -- if not more so? I have yet to see anyone make a valid arguement against that last point.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
TSX User

Originally Posted by tcwatkins
Don't see why Acura won't continute to issue new DVDs. The updates are just data changes, like new roads and businesses. They will need to do the same data changes to the new nav. And frankly, at the price they are charging for the new DVDs, they are not losing money.
True, but I cannot get myself to pay $180 for an update of an outdated navi system that runs a Pentium 386 processor.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:17 AM
04 remembrance

386 Processors. That's so 1990.

iamhomin, who recalls his DOS operated + 386 processor.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
True, but I cannot get myself to pay $180 for an update of an outdated navi system that runs a Pentium 386 processor.
Last I heard, that's what they used on the Space Shuttle... which might explain things.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by STL
For some reason that doesn't seem to apply to cars. For instance, the cost of the 2006 RSX only when up 0.55% (per VTEC.net). In addition, how do you explain the fact many times car prices don't change at all from MY to MY (and they are MANY examples of that). Lastly, how do you explain that the 2006 RSX-S and 2004 S2000 only went up a few hundred dollars despite getting changes that are just as major as the 2006 TSX is getting -- if not more so? I have yet to see anyone make a valid arguement against that last point.
As alluded to by another poster, it's probably because competition in the automobile market is so intense. My guess is that from a sales perspective auto manufacturers can't afford to raise model prices every year or even after modest changes/upgrades—doing so would alienate buyers. This means that inflation doesn't factor into prices until a manufacturer rolls out an all-new design or introduces a new model. For instance, a 2002 RSX cost about $1,000 more than a comparably equipped 2001 Integra.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
I grow angry a redesign already......i dont think im getting another TSX anyways...in a year and a half looking for a bmw or a g35c /350z...

You guys act like you didn't know Honda does a refresh after a couple years. Look at the CRX, Civic, Integra, Accord to name a few. The most noticable changes were on the 6th gen Civic, the 3rd gen Integra, RSX, and the 7th gen Civic. Those models got new headlights, tailights, bumpers, etc.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Instructor

my $.02:

they'll up the msrp on the navi to something that's still under 30k...it's just too important a marketing point to ignore...destination may take it over, but the reviews and blurbs ALWAYS mention that barrier...

"all of this for UNDER $30k!"

i mean, how many times have each of us read that??

prediction: MSRP will go up about $200-$400

real price diff will probably be around $800 to $1200 due to reduced "bargaining" abiltity...at least until the spring.

the car is still a great deal at that price. the new list of features is beautiful.

i'll be getting one, that's for damn sure.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STL
Inflation occurs in all goods and services sold in any market including cars. Either inflation of deflation occurs over time. Deflation rarely occurs unless you are buying some outdated technology. Year to year fluxuations average out to 3% over the whole economy is a basic rule of thumb that economists follow. It is always an estimate when trying to calculate, but sometimes there are other variables that change the MSRP of foreign produced cars like the TSX, S2000 and RSX-S. Keep in mind the dollar exhange rate fluxuates as does inflation. Just because the price in dollars hasn't changed doesn't mean that you are not paying more. With the dollar gaining some strenght in foreign markets, as it has lately, makes their goods less expensive for Americans. If the price remains the same on these goods (like the S2000 example above) we are essentially being charged a higher price. That is what happened with the cars that you mentioned above. Believe that the money per car that Honda takes in every year only goes up. Sometimes more than others, but it always goes up.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Inflation occurs in all goods and services sold in any market including cars. Either inflation of deflation occurs over time. Deflation rarely occurs unless you are buying some outdated technology. Year to year fluxuations average out to 3% over the whole economy is a basic rule of thumb that economists follow. It is always an estimate when trying to calculate, but sometimes there are other variables that change the MSRP of foreign produced cars like the TSX, S2000 and RSX-S. Keep in mind the dollar exhange rate fluxuates as does inflation. Just because the price in dollars hasn't changed doesn't mean that you are not paying more. With the dollar gaining some strenght in foreign markets, as it has lately, makes their goods less expensive for Americans. If the price remains the same on these goods (like the S2000 example above) we are essentially being charged a higher price. That is what happened with the cars that you mentioned above. Believe that the money per car that Honda takes in every year only goes up. Sometimes more than others, but it always goes up.
What I said and what I meant were slightly different. I should have said, "For some reason that [inflation] doesn't seem to apply to car pricing". Yes the USD did get stronger (versus the Yen) from 2003 to 2004 so that might explain some of the RSX-S case, but the rate was relatively flat comparing (August) 2002 to (August) 2003 to that does not explain the S2000 case. Furthermore, it's been reported that 2006 RSX went up only 0.55% so looks like we already have this MY's rate.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by z-tec
prediction: MSRP will go up about $200-$400

real price diff will probably be around $800 to $1200 due to reduced "bargaining" abiltity...at least until the spring.
I agree expect that I think the bargaining ability might swing back to us consumers sooner than spring in places that have colder winters.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro

Sports steering wheel
I didn't see anyone talk about this. If this change really means a smaller diameter+thicker steering wheel, it might be the best improvement of the bunch. The current wheel is a few inches too big in diameter to be considered 'sporty'. As for the other stuff, it sounds like they Hondata-fied the ECU, and marginally tweaked the exterior styling.

I'm glad to see them making the TSX more sporty and more luxurious at the same time (unlike the S2000, which will be a FWD 4000 lb sedan in a few years if Honda continues the current trend of 'softening' it).
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Predict +$500 Price Increase on US Model

& Fewer people posting that they haggled the Navi version down to $26k for about 4 months. (Remember they already increased the list $ mid-year.)

As said they will keep it under the all important $30k list, even if they are generally more with extras/taxes/shipping going out the door.

The new features/gismos should keep the #'s sold on the rise, especially now that the "power-deficit" has been mostly addressed. The items added this year cost very little in manufacturing costs IMO ~$200.

This puts Honda in a great profit position, showing pricing power(but not greed) on rising sales on a 3-4YO model with already sunk R&D, falling volume assembly costs. While domestic makers have to discount.

If they don't get greedy, This could really start to hit the BMW-3 sweetspot IMHO.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

There are many externalities that affect national trading policies. Discussing them all here will defeat the purpose of a discussion thread about a car. Needless to say the price is always going to be more than I want to pay. Regardless of the MSRP in the fall, the TSX is by far one of the best value in its class. That I think is the most imporant fact in the end. I also think it is cool that Honda is starting to address the power that the engine puts out. Black_6spd...Where did you get the information of a change in V-tec engagement point? That would be the change that would interest me the most.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
I grow angry a redesign already......i dont think im getting another TSX anyways...in a year and a half looking for a bmw or a g35c /350z...
What make you so angry? it is just a mid-cycle update + minor facelift which just like changing the layout of the tail light something like that! every manufacuture will do that! no matter it is BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan all do mid-cycle update....
Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyotousa
haha wtf...
you don't see Mercedes, bmw, audi, volvo change their style every two yrs XD
RSX now TSX crazy...

not even Toyota
if you really don't think any other brands does refreshes then you are a fool.
the camry has gone through a refresh with new headlights and tail lights.
benz c class got a facelift a while ago with new headlights and bumpers.
please think before you post.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianS
What make you so angry? it is just a mid-cycle update + minor facelift which just like changing the layout of the tail light something like that! every manufacuture will do that! no matter it is BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan all do mid-cycle update....
what that fool doesn't know is that the Z is getting a refresh!
oh no, there goes the Z for him.
and its REFRESH not REDESIGN
redesign is a whole new body style.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
what that fool doesn't know is that the Z is getting a refresh!
oh no, there goes the Z for him.
and its REFRESH not REDESIGN
redesign is a whole new body style.
That fool should also know that the G35 (sedan) got a refresh with new tailights, bumpers, etc. So there goes Infiniti. BMW does refreshes all the time, especially on the 3 series. No BMW for you either. May I suggest a nice Buick?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
VSA Rocks

Black_6spd...Where did you get the information of a change in V-tec engagement point? That would be the change that would interest me the most.
If all this information on the 2006 model is correct, it is highly likely that Honda engineers have eliminated or reduced the power dip we experience at 5500 RPM. Keep in mind that this was one of the 1st versions of the K-series motors and Honda may have overemphasized low end at the expense of upper-RPM power.

Keep in mind that I don't have confirmation. This is purely speculation on my part.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motohip
That fool should also know that the G35 (sedan) got a refresh with new tailights, bumpers, etc. So there goes Infiniti. BMW does refreshes all the time, especially on the 3 series. No BMW for you either. May I suggest a nice Buick?
Also the MY 05 7 series were just restyle after 2 yr of the last redesign
Old 08-03-2005, 04:07 PM

Subaru also did a refresh on the controversial headlights/tailights.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

Question 2005 or 2006 TSX

I was about to buy a TSX AT with Nav. After reading the info on this excellent Forum I was wondering if I should wait for the 2006. I would really like the new Green with parchment interior & wood trim. Thanks in advance for any help. Jesse
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
If all this information on the 2006 model is correct, it is highly likely that Honda engineers have eliminated or reduced the power dip we experience at 5500 RPM. Keep in mind that this was one of the 1st versions of the K-series motors and Honda may have overemphasized low end at the expense of upper-RPM power.

Keep in mind that I don't have confirmation. This is purely speculation on my part.
Well, I hope your speculation proves to be true. That would be awesome. The vtec on the 04-05 doesn't give us much time to use it before redline.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, reading this thread is cracking me up. It's almost like Acura was reading this site to see what changes people wanted and then accomodating them perfectly (and then some). Sounds pretty smart to me! Find out what the customers want and give it to them.

Then we get clowns on here COMPLAINING that Acura is making these changes! Talk about sour grapes! I just bought my 05, and I'd love to have these new features (especially the new nav system). But that doesn't diminish the fact that I love my car. And you won't hear me saying idiotic things like "if this is how Acura treats people, I'll never buy another one again etc. etc. blah blah blah." They've added almost everything that was asked for! It's kind of nice to have a manufacturer that is so tuned into what their customers want.

If you get your knickers in a twist because you bought an '04 or an '05 and don't have these features, you need to get over it. Or go buy an '06. You got what you paid for.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by jesseandrew
I was about to buy a TSX AT with Nav. After reading the info on this excellent Forum I was wondering if I should wait for the 2006. I would really like the new Green with parchment interior & wood trim. Thanks in advance for any help. Jesse
I say wait for the 2006. Unlike the 2004>2005 transition this one seems to have some serious changes.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jesseandrew
If that is the color that you want I would say wait for what you want. It is only a few months and the cost increase will most likely be minimal. If you are going to spend that much you might as well get what you want.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Ha, reading this thread is cracking me up. It's almost like Acura was reading this site to see what changes people wanted and then accomodating them perfectly (and then some). Sounds pretty smart to me! Find out what the customers want and give it to them.

Then we get clowns on here COMPLAINING that Acura is making these changes! Talk about sour grapes! I just bought my 05, and I'd love to have these new features (especially the new nav system). But that doesn't diminish the fact that I love my car. And you won't hear me saying idiotic things like "if this is how Acura treats people, I'll never buy another one again etc. etc. blah blah blah." They've added almost everything that was asked for! It's kind of nice to have a manufacturer that is so tuned into what their customers want.

If you get your knickers in a twist because you bought an '04 or an '05 and don't have these features, you need to get over it. Or go buy an '06. You got what you paid for.
I guess the grass is always greener...
Old 08-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw, what are 'side sills'? it said "more pronounced side sills" in one of the changes....

and 9 spoke wheels? I've been trying to picture what that would look like and haven't noticed any 9 spoke wheels on the road.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

I just got my '05 TSX a month and a half ago.

I won't be wishing for a new one anytime soon, unless they come out with a metallic red color (like the TL has). I dont' like the solid red only that is offered now.

My first Acura was a '90 Integra LS that I had for 11 years from new. It was Torino Red Pearl, and I just loved that color. Pairing that color (or similar) with the Quartz leather I've got now I think would look very nice. The Parchment in the red TL I saw (and test drove) just didn't do it for me.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:09 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by Beoshingus

I am pretty sure Acura had these yearly upgrades planned in advance of initially launching the first TSX. Sour grapes? Yes. But you have to admit that they "intentionally" left out some really important goodies up till now.

Not only did us 04 owners pay virtually the same money for less features, these new items will also further decrease our resale value.

That is how interpreted what the "Complaining Clowns" were bitching about.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:13 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by TSX Hokie
I didn't see anyone talk about this. If this change really means a smaller diameter+thicker steering wheel, it might be the best improvement of the bunch. The current wheel is a few inches too big in diameter to be considered 'sporty'.
If it is really a sport steering wheel (thinker and smaller), I hope it can be purchased to replace the older one...at a reasonablr price of course.

Knowing Acura, this will cost ~500 to replace.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:14 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
No it has not. Early 03 worldwide.
October 2002 for the Japanese market.

So its time for the changes.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:20 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
And I love the new SAE ratings too, can't wait to see the actual HP rating of the VQ and the FSE engines. I know they are overrated.

Quick Reply: 2006 TSX Info...