2006 TSX Info...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShredder
All Acura cars are Hondas for Americans who are infatuated by labels.
I think I know what you're saying, but they way you said it makes it sound like you're making a blanket statement about Acura owners. I myself plan to be an owner within 6 months and really could care less about labels/badges. I like the TSX not because it's an Acura, but rather because it's a sporty not-so-big sedan with great handling.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STL
I think I know what you're saying, but they way you said it makes it sound like you're making a blanket statement about Acura owners. I myself plan to be an owner within 6 months and really could care less about labels/badges. I like the TSX not because it's an Acura, but rather because it's a sporty not-so-big sedan with great handling.
Possibly in the context of this forum it sounded like that. I was more making a blanket statement about Americans. It was more in jest than to be taken seriously. Blanket statements never prove to be true, but there is always some truth to them. For example, I own a TSX and I bought it for almost the same exact reasons which you are buying it. BTW...I did have it debadged for the same reasons mentioned above. You might agree with me, but I would have bought the TSX even if it was sold as a Honda.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NightShredder
You might agree with me, but I would have bought the TSX even if it was sold as a Honda.
Heck, it might have been better if it was badged a Honda because it likely would've cost a little less!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Isn't that the truth.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
STL. Calm down. Please take a look at the Toyota/Lexus websites, and the Nissan/Infiniti websites. You will then find that Toyota offers different paint colors than Lexus, and Nissan offers different paint colors than Inifiniti. Just a fact.

Also, even though the TL is not a "shared" model with Honda, it still uses many of the same paint colors as Honda. Same with the other Acura models.
The TL is a shared model with Honda. There was a guy that was posting here in the TL forums that was from Japan. He posted some pics of his 2 tone leather Honda TL from japan.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Actually, STL and iamhomin, I see your point - I simply did not explain myself very well. What I meant was, I thought it was odd that parts are being so blatantly shared to the point that my windows actually have a "Honda" label on it. Of course, I understand that parts will be shared between Honda and Acura, but I just thought it was odd to have the name "Honda" in very visible places on my car. Now, I never checked this though - do they imprint the name "Honda" on the windows of the TL etc? Just curious. Perhaps it's just a TSX thing, or perhaps not. It's just my curiosity.

Anyway, you got it - different strokes for different folks. Maybe I really would not mind paying an extra $1000 to get a more unique body color?
Actually... it may not be all Acura models because when i got an RL as a loaner those windows actually said Acura on there. Not sure about the TL as i have never actually driven one.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, my dealer said one of the changes to the 06 TSX was that the glass will now say Acura rather than Honda. Yay.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone like to speculate on the exterious styling changes?
I would venture a guess that the TSX will get LED taillights. Also the bumpers, grill and hood will be slightly reshaped for a more agressive look, along with the side skirts. I'll be interesting to see what changes they make to the front projectors, besides the shape of the headlights.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i am fiending to see these 06 pics...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Advanced

I personally dont see them making all those changes as Vtec reported, ill just wait till they come out. Likewise everyone got heated about turbos and the HSC, still waiting for those...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
Anyone like to speculate on the exterious styling changes?
I would venture a guess that the TSX will get LED taillights. Also the bumpers, grill and hood will be slightly reshaped for a more agressive look, along with the side skirts. I'll be interesting to see what changes they make to the front projectors, besides the shape of the headlights.
TSX will probably have a grill more akin to the TL's. LED tails light u said. As for the bumper i hope they dont change the rear but the front may look similar to the RL's.

What pisses me off are that the things i wish the TSX would have (Bluetooth, improved navi, and aux-in audio port) are actually coming out for this car...i bought the 05 cuz i didnt think these would make it in the 06 model. i guess i was horribly owned.

im financing my car and im wondering how much more and trouble it would be to trade up to the 06... or how much it would cost to swap out the old navi/computer unit with the new navi/bluetooth/computer model on the new TSXes
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Camden
The only thing that I care about is the purported auxiliary input for an Ipod. Damn, I wish I had that.
Someone figured out how to get the 2005 TSX w/NAV and XM all working with an AUX input... no more giving up XM to get it working:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/finally-i-have-xm-my-auxillary-input-my-05tsexw-navi-312281/

I hope we can pop a 2006 NAV disc in our 2005s and get the Zagat stuff...

I'd also like to be able to put the flat wiper blades on if they're cool.....
Old 08-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeRS
or how much it would cost to swap out the old navi/computer unit with the new navi/bluetooth/computer model on the new TSXes
I bet it'll be a minimum of $2000.... (the difference in price between a nav & non-nav TSX)....

With any luck we'll be able to drop the 2006 disc in our 2005s and get the Zagat guide and additional Points of Interest.... or at least get an updated disc compatible with the 05's that has that stuff...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Back on the HP measurement. I cannot find ANYTHING online regarding what has changed from the 1980's, 1990's, and thus far in the 2000's, compared to the "new" "SAE NET HP" ratings.

Searching for "J1349" on Google didn't yield that any differences in HP measurement have taken place since the post-1970's.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is possibly a general agreement between auto manufacturers that they won't "round up" HP to the nearest 10HP like many companies seem to do...

Also, if anyone has looked carefully at a dyno sheet for any car, more often than not they have "SAE-corrected" HP ratings (mind you these are at-the-wheel, not at-the-flywheel ratings. But, SAE-CORRECTED essentially means ambient temperature and altitude are factored out of the HP number, and you get a standardized HP number for that car. The formula is supposedly extremely accurate and if you dyno in 5 different cities on the same day, the SAE-corrected HP numbers should be the exact same (assuming fuel quality, tire pressure, oil viscosity, etc... were all the same. The only things factored out are the ambient air temp. and the altitude, both of which affect air density and thus power).

So unless someone has a very clear tech paper that goes into the "new" J1349 SAE-HP rating mechanisms, I am under the impression that nothing really has changed -- MAYBE just an agreement between companies to not misrepresent numbers (ie: Mazda's RX-8).

Discuss?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:35 PM
TSX User

Acura/Honda must be taking notes from this forum, because I believe I have read numerous rants and compaints on this site regarding each and every proposed improvement for the 06 model.

A few comments:

- Can all previous MY owners get a stiffer A-arm and will this once and for all eliminate our beloved rattles?

- Looks like the current Navi system will become obselete (i.e., software not upgradable), given that the new system will incorporate HandsFreeLink and will use a faster CPU (shared with the TL or RL, perhaps)

-Wonder if the "Sports steering wheel" will be available for us 04/05 owners?

I think the MSRP will go up by $1500. There are too many upgrades for Acura not to significantly raise the price.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Acura/Honda must be taking notes from this forum
Yes, while they're browsing our site looking for a reason to sue us, they may actually read something useful from time to time.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

I think the MSRP will go up by $1500. There are too many upgrades for Acura not to significantly raise the price.
So what exactly are you basing that on?

Just last year Acura made significant changes to the RSX and it's MSRP only went up $350. When Honda put the an entirely new engine in the S2000 and totally reworked the suspension (to make it more forgiving) that car's MSRP went up only $200. So I really don't expect the MSRP on the 2006 TSX to go up any more then $250 -- or maybe not at all.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by STL

Just last year Acura made significant changes to the RSX and it's MSRP only went up $350. When Honda put the an entirely new engine in the S2000 and totally reworked the suspension (to make it more forgiving) that car's MSRP went up only $200. So I really don't expect the MSRP on the 2006 TSX to go up any more then $250 -- or maybe not at all.
Yeah, remember... as time goes forward, electronics prices go down. So, the handsfree may have been a bit pricey to include w/o a price increase before, but this year, the technology might be significantly cheaper and more refined (reliable) and this can be included for no or very little increased cost.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by STL

Well....Let's see.

There are upgrades that actually add new items. These include HandsFreeLink interface, Auxiliary audio jack, fog lights and even the "New" meter face.

Cheap-ass Honda will not give these away for free.

The remaining improvements are tweaks that will slightly increase the cost of manufacturing each unit: reshaping plastic parts (bumpers and side sills), replacing engine (intake and exhaust) and other parts (wheels, steering wheel, etc), just to name a few.

While $1500 may be a bit high, you have to admit there are a significant number of improvements ... almost as many as for the new 3-series.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

New meter face
What is that supposed to mean? New guages?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:55 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Well....Let's see.

There are upgrades that actually add new items. These include HandsFreeLink interface, Auxiliary audio jack, fog lights and even the "New" meter face.

Cheap-ass Honda will not give these away for free.

The remaining improvements are tweaks that will slightly increase the cost of manufacturing each unit: reshaping plastic parts (bumpers and side sills), replacing engine (intake and exhaust) and other parts (wheels, steering wheel, etc), just to name a few.

While $1500 may be a bit high, you have to admit there are a significant number of improvements ... almost as many as for the new 3-series.
I guess you ignored my examples where significant changes only lead to minor increases in MSRP. I agree the 2006 TSX is getting significant improvements, but not unlike the examples I gave. Both the RSX-S and S2000 got new bumpers, head & tail lights, engine changes (with the S2000 going from a 2.0L to a 2.2L -- a much bigger change than the '06 TSX is getting), new wheels that were larger (unlike the TSX that keeps 17s), as well as several other news parts. So based on recent past history, not just gut feeling or emotion, I don't think the MSRP change will be as high as you expect.

Can you tell I like to debate?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by Caperone
Have no idea, man. There is also a "Chasis" on the list.

Any Honda/Acura executives or engineers lurking in here willing to explain?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Caperone
Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by STL
I guess you ignored my examples where significant changes only lead to minor increases in MSRP. I agree the 2006 TSX is getting significant improvements, but not unlike the examples I gave. Both the RSX-S and S2000 got new bumpers, head & tail lights, engine changes (with the S2000 going from a 2.0L to a 2.2L -- a much bigger change than the '06 TSX is getting), new wheels that were larger (unlike the TSX that keeps 17s), as well as several other news parts. So based on recent past history, not just gut feeling or emotion, I don't think the MSRP change will be as high as you expect.

Can you tell I like to debate?
Same here.

Changing the entire engine is significant but is only an improvement on what was already there. In fact, if the newer engine (2.2L in your example) is used in many other models while the older 2.0L is being phased out, then this would actually be a cost-cutting measure. Knowing Honda, this is most likely why they approved this upgrade.

In our case, Acura is adding a crap-load of "new" features that will not only increase the cost in material but also the time required to assemble the car.

I think Acura has figured out that there are a significant number of people who really dig the TSX, but feel the TL is a bit too much, and the competition (325i, A4, IS250 ...) cannot offer a similar package remotely close in price. So, why not add a crap load of new features and capture a bigger peice of the pie, while also increasing their profit margin?

If I had not bought my 04 TSX last year and saw these improvements raise the MSRP by ~$1500, I would still consider it an absolutely great deal.

In fact, I would be really interested to see if and when a new 06 TSX owner will find something to complain/rant about.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianS
BMW E46 sedan came out on 1999 with 323i and 328i. It facelifted on 2001 with 330i and 325i. And E46 328Ci and 323Ci (coupe & converitable) were only exist for MY 2000. Wasn't a guy that bought a 2000 328i has pissed off even more!
i don't think they change the style ...in 2yrs...
just model number....Lexus does that too

got to admit European car doesn't change style as often as Japan car do
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Changing the entire engine is significant but is only an improvement on what was already there. In fact, if the newer engine (2.2L in your example) is used in many other models while the older 2.0L is being phased out, then this would actually be a cost-cutting measure. Knowing Honda, this is most likely why they approved this upgrade.
Actually the 2.0L wasn't phased out at all. On the contrary, the rest of the world still gets that award winning engine in the S2000! AHM wanted more low end torque in the S2000 so Honda gave them a band-aid fix (IMO) with the 1k-lower-redline 2.2L engine. I don't believe that engine (in that form) is used in any other Honda. So no -- going the 2.2L engine didn't save Honda any money, but rather just increased their production costs (not to mention the cost to develop that new 2.2L variant). So the S2000 got that new engine along with a boat-load of other things (some I've mentioned before) in the 2004MY and the MSRP only went up only $200. BTW, I confirmed the MSRP figures at hondanews.com.

In fact, I would be really interested to see if and when a new 06 TSX owner will find something to complain/rant about.
Oh it'll happen...it's human nature to complain!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

English isn't my first language (my third one, in fact), so no need to be mean...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes