2006 TSX Info...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thedavej2001
With the improvements on the engine, can anyone take a guess at the new 0-60 time for the auto?
still slow

btw, can we force TheJudge to change his avator. I can't stop fucking staring at it. Its cutting into my posting time...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
still slow

btw, can we force TheJudge to change his avator. I can't stop fucking staring at it. Its cutting into my posting time...

Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Check this out:

http://autoblog.com/entry/1234000427057384/
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

iPod "integration" in 2006 tsx???!!

Check out the following link (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ipodyourcar/) to a page on apple's website that corresponds to an announcement (among many) made by apple today that acura (among) others will be announcing iPod integration into new models. This may not be anything more than the line-in that we all have heard will be included in the 2006 tsx. However, since acura is being listed by apple along side the BMW (which will all know has more than a line-in as an option) and Nissan (like acura, listed as coming soon on the apple page) that announced iPod control through the navi in Japan earlier this year, it could mean MUCH more. iPod control through the 2006 TSX navi system... that would be sweet!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM
taf
Advanced

Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."

"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific restrictions.

iPod's are available at in the U.S. through the Apple Store(R) at www.apple.com and at selected retail outlets.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
4th Gear

Guess keeping your fingers crossed really works! I can't wait to get my 06 tsx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
J J
Intermediate

I don't think we will notice much change with a 12-14 HP boost, unless the weight of the car stays the same. If weight goes up, you won't feel a difference, if weight is same or reduced, you will notice some.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
J J
Intermediate

So you need to purchase the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor to plug your Ipod into the acura sound system, or just to integrate it at a higher level? My understanding is the stock 2006 TSX would come with a jack to plug your IPOD into? YOu now need to pay extra for that to work? or did I miss something? Thank you..
Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Mmm.. Acura cake

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J J
So you need to purchase the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor to plug your Ipod into the acura sound system, or just to integrate it at a higher level? My understanding is the stock 2006 TSX would come with a jack to plug your IPOD into? YOu now need to pay extra for that to work? or did I miss something? Thank you..
Short answer: "just to integrate it at a higher level"

Long answer:
A stock 2006 TSX (or appropriately modded 2004-05 TSX for that matter) would let you plug your ipod (or anything with a 1/8" headphone jack) into your system. to listen to the ipod, you just toggle your radio to an "Aux" mode. Controlling the playback (ff/reverse, select playlists, adjust volume, shuffle, etc) is done on the mp3 player itself.

My understanding of the Acura Music Link is that you can navigate thru songs on an ipod by artist/album/playlist via the normal stereo interface (without you having to touching the ipod). And (this is my speculation) during navigation of your mp3 collection, the stereo will announce the names of the artist or album you have "highlighted" and wait for you to "ok" it by pressing a button on the steering wheel/navi unit.

The Music Link also charges your ipod while you use (or not use) it. This frees the power outlet for a cell phone, laptop charger, etc).

And finally the Music Link also uses a "digital" connection between the ipod and your stereo, so the sound quality can't degrade been the ipod and your speakers like it does if you use an FM transmitter or cassette adapter.

As you can see, I'm very interested in this stuff as both an ipod owner and prospective 2006 TSX buyer. I was practically sold on the 2006 TSX *before* they announced the Acura Music Link. Now, I am definitely sold. It's just a question of what dealer to buy from, how much, and what color?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:00 AM
J J
Intermediate

Thanks Gary, great insight on the Acura Music Link iPod(R).
It makes total sense to purchase the Music link now in my mind. That is SLICK!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sauceman
Hmm. I actually like the rims.
I agree. I never cared for the old ones because they were way too vanilla; they weren't sporty and they weren't really upscale either. At least these new rims are clearly upscale.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by STL
I agree. I never cared for the old ones because they were way too vanilla; they weren't sporty and they weren't really upscale either. At least these new rims are clearly upscale.

Looks are definetly in the eye of the beholder. These new rims aren't upscale, sporty or acceptable on the TSX IMO. I'd be switching them out for certain if I was buying a 06.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Looks are definetly in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
My Garage

the current rims are much nicer
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmcook
Check out the following link (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ipodyourcar/) to a page on apple's website that corresponds to an announcement (among many) made by apple today that acura (among) others will be announcing iPod integration into new models. This may not be anything more than the line-in that we all have heard will be included in the 2006 tsx. However, since acura is being listed by apple along side the BMW (which will all know has more than a line-in as an option) and Nissan (like acura, listed as coming soon on the apple page) that announced iPod control through the navi in Japan earlier this year, it could mean MUCH more. iPod control through the 2006 TSX navi system... that would be sweet!!!

They should just integrate mp3 capabilities into the headunit, and read off from a flash card (SD, compactflash, etc)..... I think some of the newer Audi's has that, and there are also a couple of aftermarket units right now. If not, at least have the CD unit read mp3 discs... even the new IS's headunit can do that...

$250 for an Ipod adapter they might as well put in a mp3 player in there.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just read on the official Acura Post that the TSX Parchment interior will have a "new" wood pattern. Interesting to see if the "wood" will be lighter or darker than the current. Here is the quote.

Interior

* 2-position memory for driver's seat
* Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
* HandsFreeLink&(TM) wireless telephone interface
* Sports steering wheel
* Multi-info display
* New meter face
* New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
* Metallic garnish added to shift knob.
* Smart Maintenance system
* Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
o Larger buttons and fonts
o Faster processing speed
o Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
o HandsFreeLink calling to POI
o More voice recognition commands (653)
o Zagat restaurant guide
o Exit ramp services feature
* Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception
Old 09-08-2005, 12:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about ever visual change made on the 06 looks like ass imo.

The extra 10 hp is a good thing, but does anyone know if curb weight has gone up? Also, how much will msrp rise?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by static808
Just read on the official Acura Post that the TSX Parchment interior will have a "new" wood pattern. Interesting to see if the "wood" will be lighter or darker than the current. Here is the quote.

Interior

* 2-position memory for driver's seat
* Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
* HandsFreeLink&(TM) wireless telephone interface
* Sports steering wheel
* Multi-info display
* New meter face
* New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
* Metallic garnish added to shift knob.
* Smart Maintenance system
* Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
o Larger buttons and fonts
o Faster processing speed
o Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
o HandsFreeLink calling to POI
o More voice recognition commands (653)
o Zagat restaurant guide
o Exit ramp services feature
* Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception
I just tried to see the official specs from the www.acura.com website. I couldnt find it.

Do you have the link?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fdl
Just about ever visual change made on the 06 looks like ass imo.
Oh yes, those ground effects are horrible and those new taillights are butt ugly.

Originally Posted by fdl
The extra 10 hp is a good thing, but does anyone know if curb weight has gone up? Also, how much will msrp rise?
The difference is more like 15 HP, and what makes you think the weight will go up more than 5-10 pounds if at all?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

The new rims are overdone with spokes, they look like 16's, and the 2004/2005 has a nice Euro look to it, very unique.....the new shape give too much of a civic apearance I find.....

P.S. Thanks Gibson6594 I love my avatar too...hehehe
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supraken

It may just be the pics, but looking at them it appears Acura toned-down the silver accent to make it more muted (like the silver accent in the TL).
Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by STL
Oh yes, those ground effects are horrible and those new taillights are butt ugly.

The difference is more like 15 HP, and what makes you think the weight will go up more than 5-10 pounds if at all?

Looks are subjective, if thats the way he feels who are you to tell him otherwise?

And the difference according to Jeff from TOV is more like 10HP. At least thats what he's gathered after speaking directly to Honda officials.

Also, considering the 06 CR-V and Element are now rated at 156 It's a safe bet that the 04/05 TSX would be rated at ~195 in the new system.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The Judge
The new rims are overdone with spokes, they look like 16's, and the 2004/2005 has a nice Euro look to it, very unique.....the new shape give too much of a civic apearance I find.....
Funny, I get the exact opposite vibe about them. The old 7-spokes look too bland and remind me of the 7-spokes 15s that came on the '00 Civic Si.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:17 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
Looks are subjective, if thats the way he feels who are you to tell him otherwise?
Chill, I was just pointing out his exaggeration.

Originally Posted by dom
And the difference according to Jeff from TOV is more like 10HP. At least thats what he's gathered after speaking directly to Honda officials.
Well we really won't know until we see some dynos, but the best rationals that I've seen put the HP difference anywhere from 13 to 17 HP. Just because some Honda marketing dude says it's 10 HP that doesn't mean it is true. Remember Honda claimed the F22C had the same HP as the F20C, but several dynos showed differently.

Originally Posted by dom
Also, considering the 06 CR-V and Element are now rated at 156 It's a safe bet that the 04/05 TSX would be rated at ~195 in the new system.
I believe the K24s in those SUVs are tuned substantially different to the one in the TSX so I don't feel that extrapolation is all that valid.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sorry, what rationals were those that put the number between 13 and 17?

The K24 in the CR-V, Element and Accord were all rated at 160/162 for 05. One engine now has 166 and the other 156 for a difference of 10. The TL lost 12, RL 10, RSX-S lost 9 and MDX, Ody and Ridgeline all lost ~10 as well. So how exactly are we to presume the TSX gains 17HP?

Considering its close relationship to the engine in the Accord my assumption of +10 based on the 04/05 losing 10 is probly closer than 13-17

We'll wait for dyno's.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
My Garage

i'm really surprised that the auto up/down wasn't added to at the least the front passanger window, that is something a car of this level needs to have.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Wow, where have I been the past 3 months....

I really like the new gauge cluster, along with that and all the engine tweaking, seems like this cars just getting better.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?...X_Steering.jpg[
Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STL

well, we are really guessing untill we get one on a dyno, so thats why I say 10 hp.

As for the curb weight - well cars just keep getting heavier and heavier with each year and each new feature. HP goes up but 1/4 and 0-60 dont change much.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by taf
Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."

"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific restrictions.

iPod's are available at in the U.S. through the Apple Store(R) at www.apple.com and at selected retail outlets.
Where did you get this quote from?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
Sorry, what rationals were those that put the number between 13 and 17?
13.5 HP
17HP
I also saw a good rational that came up with 12.5 (or was it .7) HP, but I cannot find it.

Originally Posted by dom
The K24 in the CR-V, Element and Accord were all rated at 160/162 for 05. One engine now has 166 and the other 156 for a difference of 10.
Looking at the CRV engine, it really does appear to be tuned quite different (with the torque peaking at 3.6k instead of 4.5k RPM -- looking at '05 numbers). OTOH, the Element engine specs appears to be spot on with the Accord's so we can almost certainly say the Accord gain 10HP, but those K24 engines make their peak HP at consideribly lower RPMs (well over 1k difference compared to the TSX) so that still leaves a big question mark on the TSX's true gain.

Originally Posted by dom
The TL lost 12, RL 10, RSX-S lost 9 and MDX, Ody and Ridgeline all lost ~10 as well. So how exactly are we to presume the TSX gains 17HP?
I agree, and if the TSX "lost" about the same amount -- say 10HP -- then the '04/05' models would be rated at 190HP with the new standard. So that equates to a 15HP difference!

Originally Posted by dom
Considering its close relationship to the engine in the Accord my assumption of +10 based on the 04/05 losing 10 is probly closer than 13-17

We'll wait for dyno's.
I fully admit that 17HP is probably overly optimistic, but I think only a 10HP gain is overly pessimistic. We'll know exactly what it is within a couple months...
Old 09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
First US '06 TSX on board

I'm hoping that the added HP will be noticable, otherwise it would have been a waste to do all of that stuff. Owners spend big bucks just replacing their exhaust and intake, but Honda/Acura has done that and more:

To help deliver increased power for 2006, the diameter of the intake valve was increased from 35mm to 36mm to help air flow more freely into the cylinder. Also, at high engine speeds, intake valve lift and opening duration were increased to speed the flow of air into the cylinder.

For 2006, crank balance weight was optimized and the connecting rods were strengthened to handle the increased RPMs and reduce vibration caused by the additional engine power. Additionally, new ventilation holes were machined between cylinders to reduce pumping losses.

The TSX uses a single-stage intake manifold that for 2006 has been retuned to increase intake air flow from 95 liters per second to 110 liters per second and help add an additional five horsepower to the TSX's already powerful engine. Enhancements to the intake system for 2006 include:
-Intake radius increased from 70mm to 80mm
-Intake manifold bore enlarged from 60mm to 64mm
-Throttle body diameter increased from 60mm to 64mm

Like its intake system, the TSX's stainless steel, high-flow exhaust system has been enhanced in 2006 to help provide an increase in horsepower. Targeted changes reduce backpressure and increase exhaust flow from 115 liters per second to 125 liters per second. Enhancements to the exhaust system include:
-Cell density of front catalyzer reduced from 900 to 400 cells
-Exhaust pipe diameter increased from 54mm to 57.2mm
-Diameter of rear exhaust pipes (leading to finishers) increased from 42.7mm to 45mm
-Muffler capacity increased from 52.1mm to 57.5mm

To handle the increased horsepower, Acura strengthened this torque converter for 2006 by enlarging the diameter of the boss weld from 25mm to 35mm.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Mmm.. Acura cake

Originally Posted by jowaldo
Where did you get this quote from?
it can be found here:
http://hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2...54774&mime=asc
Old 09-08-2005, 05:44 PM
J J
Intermediate

This whole HP debate may not matter much if the curb weight goes up...right?

Those new rims are so lame, lets hope they provide some nice rim options to purchase.

Has any word come out as to when dealers will receive the first batch?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by J J
This whole HP debate may not matter much if the curb weight goes up...right?

Those new rims are so lame, lets hope they provide some nice rim options to purchase.

Has any word come out as to when dealers will receive the first batch?

Thanks
It be interesting to compare rim weight, seems the new ones have more material.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Racer

How do you print from that site without loosing 1/2 inch of text from the right side? I've minimized my margings etc. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Mmm.. Acura cake

Originally Posted by feliz
How do you print from that site without loosing 1/2 inch of text from the right side? I've minimized my margings etc. Thanks.
Try highlighting just the text you want to print. Then do File > Print, then in the Print Dialog, choose "Print Selected Area". (This may vary depending on browser, OS, etc)

Works ok using my Canon w/ Firefox (w/ Shrink Page to Fit turned on)

Aside: Anyone know what's in .doc file in the link I provided a few posts up? Pictures? Or just a pretty printable document? (in which case, why would Honda password protect it?)
Old 09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Mmm.. Acura cake

nevermind. answered my own Q

The user ID and password are only needed to download the high-res photography (which is licensed for editorial use only) and the MS word versions of the press releases - which are identical to the html version that you see.
*sigh* was hoping to see "in use" pictures of the Acura Music Link embeded in the Word file
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

I wonder if we can bolt on the new intake manifold, throttle body, and exaust system to an 04/05
Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sho-one
I wonder if we can bolt on the new intake manifold, throttle body, and exaust system to an 04/05
Don't forget the fact they made some pretty technical internal mods to the engine. Seemingly changed the cams (unknown vtec engagement point though?), and the oil ports and intake valve diameter (up 1mm).
Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by STL
It may just be the pics, but looking at them it appears Acura toned-down the silver accent to make it more muted (like the silver accent in the TL).
I think it's just the first picture that have more yellow tone in it...

Quick Reply: 2006 TSX Info...