Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts
Our HR manager has one for a loaner while her RDX is in the shop. Just sitting in the parking lot it's a nice place to be, very comfortable.
Can't tell off hand if it's a 4 or 6 though. Pretty sure it's a 4, based on the wheels.

Don't care for the dark red on tan color scheme though.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Oh for sure it's a nice car to drive and a nice cabin to be in. Its ride comfort is top notch too for both 2.4 and 3.5 models. It's also a pretty decent looking car in person except for those fugly 17" rims and not-so-hidden exhaust tips. The thing is, the TLX is a great car considering its price. But the problem is that there's no trim that would get enthusiasts excited. There are a few things that I'd like Acura to fix but in general they got the basic stuff right. It's time to introduce something fun and exciting to the TLX line.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Oh for sure it's a nice car to drive and a nice cabin to be in. Its ride comfort is top notch too for both 2.4 and 3.5 models. It's also a pretty decent looking car in person except for those fugly 17" rims and not-so-hidden exhaust tips. The thing is, the TLX is a great car considering its price. But the problem is that there's no trim that would get enthusiasts excited. There are a few things that I'd like Acura to fix but in general they got the basic stuff right. It's time to introduce something fun and exciting to the TLX line.
It needs a heart, a better engine, more horsepower, and a manual transmission.
RPhilMan1 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
I think thats fine since Acura in its current state isn't an enthusiast brand.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Yup, it's time to announce the "TLX Type-S", that uses the hybrid RLX's tri-motor drive.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
If Charlie Baker was still at Acura/Honda the TLX would probably have been more sporty. Baker (former VP and chief engineer on 1G Pilot, 1G MDX, 7G Accord, 2G CL) was involved with the 2G TL and insisted on dual exhaust tips on opposite sides. He spent his early career at GM and muscle car guy. He left Honda a decade ago and is back on GM now.

Also Honda/Acura shoulda hired Gordon Murray for the 2G NSX. Designer and chief engineer on the McLaren F1 road car and numerous Bramham and McLaren F1 racing cars. His inspiration for the F1 was the 1G NSX, and although he can be uncompromising (had a bad stint on the MB SLS) he is an amazing visionary.

Suspension tweaks, bigger wheel/tires, motor tuning, Brembo's, and 6MT would improve the TLX alot. Basic chassis, styling and platform are fundamentally OK.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-16-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
I think thats fine since Acura in its current state isn't an enthusiast brand.
And its this type of thinking as to why they arent. One shouldnt be fine with it in its current state. One shouldnt like it because they dont have anything to help elevate them to that status. One needs to want them to be.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And its this type of thinking as to why they arent. One shouldnt be fine with it in its current state. One shouldnt like it because they dont have anything to help elevate them to that status. One needs to want them to be.
I'd say it has more to do with accountants.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yup, it's time to announce the "TLX Type-S", that uses the hybrid RLX's tri-motor drive.
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
If Charlie Baker was still at Acura/Honda the TLX would probably have been more sporty. Baker (former VP and chief engineer on 1G Pilot, 1G MDX, 7G Accord, 2G CL) was involved with the 2G TL and insisted on dual exhaust tips on opposite sides. He spent his early career at GM and muscle car guy. He left Honda a decade ago and is back on GM now.

Also Honda/Acura shoulda hired Gordon Murray for the 2G NSX. Designer and chief engineer on the McLaren F1 road car and numerous Bramham and McLaren F1 racing cars. His inspiration for the F1 was the 1G NSX, and although he can be uncompromising (had a bad stint on the MB SLS) he is an amazing visionary.

Suspension tweaks, bigger wheel/tires, motor tuning, Brembo's, and 6MT would improve the TLX alot. Basic chassis, styling and platform are fundamentally OK.
Based on what's available, I think Acura could use a variation of the 2.0T engine with 6MT, or use the RLX Sport Hybrid's system. The former option would probably be more fun but I'm not sure if that combo would work with SH-AWD. The tri-motor option would make the TLX a very capable car as long as all components fit.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ttribe

Based on what's available, I think Acura could use a variation of the 2.0T engine with 6MT, or use the RLX Sport Hybrid's system. The former option would probably be more fun but I'm not sure if that combo would work with SH-AWD. The tri-motor option would make the TLX a very capable car as long as all components fit.
how about the twin turbo v6 from the gt car?!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
You think Audi, Merc, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai and Cadi are running their business without accountants?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

The problem with hybrid that is..... TLX-S will be too expensive to compete.

and it has been proven that Market does not really care about sports hybrid right now (Other than super exotics)
Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You think Audi, Merc, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Hyundai and Cadi are running their business without accountants?
no I don't think that, but the financial situation of all of those companies is a bit different than acura. infiniti, for one, has barely made it to 2014 alive. do you think acura is just trying to drive away enthusiasts?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
do you think acura is just trying to drive away enthusiasts?
These days, generally, yes.

Unless you're a middle aged soccer mom.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
These days, generally, yes.

Unless you're a middle aged soccer mom.
I think it probably has to do with catering to the people who are buying the most cars. I'd bet the reason there's no manual option is because they sell so few manuals.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I think it probably has to do with catering to the people who are buying the most cars. I'd bet the reason there's no manual option is because they sell so few manuals.
so far, the TLX hasnt sold exceptionally well.

it's only sold what is expected when taking away 2 models.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
so far, the TLX hasnt sold exceptionally well.

it's only sold what is expected when taking away 2 models.
I thought close to 5k in sales in nov was pretty good for an acura sedan. the stop sale of the v6 certainly isn't going to help.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

I was more referring to the fact that Honda/Acura still refuses to listen to it's customers and prefers to tell them what they want.

For example, I'm in the process of picking up an '07 Miata. A bunch of guys got together back in 06/07 and complained to Mazda Canada, saying "you need to offer the saddle brown interior on more colors of the Miata, and not just the select 2". What did Mazda Canada do? Custom built models for it's fans. I'm now picking up documented #1 of 16 Stormy Mica Blue Miatas with a saddle brown interior. This option won't be seen in any of the brochures from 07 and really, Mazda didn't have to do anything. Lets also keep in mind that Mazda Canada is way smaller than Mazda USA and that only a fraction of Miatas is sold north of the border, and yet Mazda listened. They even did the same with the "performance package" that was dropped off the 2006 GTs and brought it back in 2007, as an option, because people asked.

I have a feeling that Acura/Honda would NEVER do such a thing. Ever. Don't like it? Pound sand, they'd say.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I was more referring to the fact that Honda/Acura still refuses to listen to it's customers and prefers to tell them what they want.

For example, I'm in the process of picking up an '07 Miata. A bunch of guys got together back in 06/07 and complained to Mazda Canada, saying "you need to offer the saddle brown interior on more colors of the Miata, and not just the select 2". What did Mazda Canada do? Custom built models for it's fans. I'm now picking up documented #1 of 16 Stormy Mica Blue Miatas with a saddle brown interior. This option won't be seen in any of the brochures from 07 and really, Mazda didn't have to do anything. Lets also keep in mind that Mazda Canada is way smaller than Mazda USA and that only a fraction of Miatas is sold north of the border, and yet Mazda listened. They even did the same with the "performance package" that was dropped off the 2006 GTs and brought it back in 2007, as an option, because people asked.

I have a feeling that Acura/Honda would NEVER do such a thing. Ever. Don't like it? Pound sand, they'd say.
that's pretty cool that mazda does stuff like that. I know bmw has the individual program which is very customizable. I wonder if anyone on the forum has ever done something like that with honda/acura? maybe start a poll or something and forward to honda/acura? I don't think I've seen a single person on here asking for hidden exhausts.

don't get me wrong I'd like to see a tlx type-s and a coupe but, I don't think acura is making decisions to piss anyone off. just trying to get the most juice for the squeeze in selling cars.

Last edited by skd2k1; 12-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I thought close to 5k in sales in nov was pretty good for an acura sedan. the stop sale of the v6 certainly isn't going to help.
when 2 of your models go away; its expected to do as well.

its not selling any extra.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

You don't seem to understand the basic of luxury auto market.

1st. Luxury Auto market is not the same as commodity auto market (Honda, Toyota and Nissan) and they should not be.

2nd. you need the non-profit, low volume cars to sell your volume leader. You need to put your brand name out there to the general public with innovative/exciting cars year after year. These low volume cars will make a bigger impression in your brain than the volume leader.

3rd. Remember these brands are not Necessities. They are luxury items. A basic transportation is necessity, a $60k commuter car is not.

4th if only selling boring, non intrusive cars is Acura's goal, then soon it will become Buick and Lincoln.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
when 2 of your models go away; its expected to do as well.

its not selling any extra.
tlx nov sales are greater than tl+tsx going back almost 2 years.
justnspace (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

1st. Luxury Auto market is not the same as commodity auto market (Honda, Toyota and Nissan) and they should not be.

2nd. you need the non-profit, low volume cars to sell your volume leader. You need to put your brand name out there to the general public with innovative/exciting cars year after year. These low volume cars will make a bigger impression in your brain than the volume leader.

3rd. Remember these brands are not Necessities. They are luxury items. A basic transportation is necessity, a $60k commuter car is not.

4th if only selling boring, non intrusive cars is Acura's goal, then soon it will become Buick and Lincoln.
^send that to acura and tell them how you have a winning formula they should be following.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

That is not my winning formula.. that is everyone else's

I didn't want to sound like "i know it all", i don't but apparently i know a lot more than you do, since you did not even know when CL-S was released and there was an M3 in 1993?

shit if Acura listened to us 10 years ago, it would be right up there with Lexus.

Remember, Acura DOES NOT listen to consumers. they decide on what consumers want.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-16-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

You are comparing a BRAND NEW Launched model to a freaking outdated dying models.

If you read anything in the previous pages, you will see TLX is no where close to when TL/TSX first launched.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

no I don't think that, but the financial situation of all of those companies is a bit different than acura. infiniti, for one, has barely made it to 2014 alive. do you think acura is just trying to drive away enthusiasts?
It takes $$$ to make more $$$$$$$.

Not everyone will be successful even with the right formula. while Infiniti does not sell as many cars but the brand itself is generally viewed higher than Acura. They currently do not have the right models and most of their crap are from 2008.

For one, they are not afraid to give what the consumers want.

You want 6mt, Q60 will have it. You want more power, turbo I4 and V6 are coming. You don't like the E-steering, we will drop it and put the hydrolic steering back... sounds a lot more appealing to me than Acura...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
You are comparing a BRAND NEW Launched model to a freaking outdated dying models.
Both those cars have been around since '08 and ANYTHING would have sold better than the 4G TL.

I didn't want to sound like "i know it all", i don't but apparently i know a lot more than you do, since you did not even know when CL-S was released and there was an M3 in 1993?
I'm pretty sure my cat knows more about the automotive industry and how to run a successful luxury brand than him... that cat stares at walls for entertainment.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 12-16-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Sorry...I'm an accountant and just have an irrational aversion to invoking the "accountants" when management decides to do stupid things. It wasn't the "accountants" who designed the beak. It wasn't the "accountants" who decided to stick with the beak when it was an obvious failure in the market. The "accountants" may have told management what the realistic financial constraints were, but it was management who did stupid thing after stupid thing within those constraints.
fsttyms1 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
BMW sells 10k 3 series models every month and at a higher price. What's your point? 5k units sold is laughable.

This is what every performance and enthusiast related brand will do. MB, Lexus, Porsche, BMW, etc all have a way for you to get exactly what you want (if you're willing to pay for it) even things like completely custom one off colors. Simple things like color combos and feature sets are the things that really piss me off about Honda. Even though it's the EXACT SAME CAR I can't have a certain combo of colors or options? WTF? I've made this comment before but the Accord sport 6MT probably has the same exact same wiring harness and 98% of the same electrical components as the V6 Touring. Why the flying fvck can I not get a sunroof and leather seats in a sport manual?

that's pretty cool that mazda does stuff like that. I know bmw has the individual program which is very customizable. I wonder if anyone on the forum has ever done something like that with honda/acura? maybe start a poll or something and forward to honda/acura? I don't think I've seen a single person on here asking for hidden exhausts.

don't get me wrong I'd like to see a tlx type-s and a coupe but, I don't think acura is making decisions to piss anyone off. just trying to get the most juice for the squeeze in selling cars.
The sad part is that Honda doesn't care what we think. Even if there was a poll of a million people who said they don't want hidden exhausts, Honda would tell us all to sit on it and spin.

I'm not sure there's a single person I have ever met or known who has liked the Acura beak. Yet it still exists in some way to this day. Why you ask? Because Honda doesn't GAF about what anyone else thinks. You'll still buy it, because it's a Honda. They are riding along on their reputation at this point but it'll eventually end.

+1, except new Buick and Lincoln are both more enthusiast based than a modern Acura.

The M3/4 are the models getting people in the showroom to buy a 320i. That's the way it has always worked and every single brand has a halo model that serves that function...that is except for Honda.

That's not saying much.

^send that to acura and tell them how you have a winning formula they should be following.
Honda pays people hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with brand marketing and strategies. If they did something so simple as a consumer survey or voice of customer survey, they'd get tons of feedback.

If you read anything in the previous pages, you will see TLX is no where close to when TL/TSX first launched.
The 4G TL was outdated the minute the first car rolled off the assembly line. Honda is always getting to the party just as everyone else is leaving for the next bar.

Sorry...I'm an accountant and just have an irrational aversion to invoking the "accountants" when management decides to do stupid things. It wasn't the "accountants" who designed the beak. It wasn't the "accountants" who decided to stick with the beak when it was an obvious failure in the market. The "accountants" may have told management what the realistic financial constraints were, but it was management who did stupid thing after stupid thing within those constraints.
+1
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

That is not my winning formula.. that is everyone else's

cool. :slowclap:

shit if Acura listened to us 10 years ago, it would be right up there with Lexus.

Remember, Acura DOES NOT listen to consumers. they decide on what consumers want.
you should put this knowledge of yours to work. I'm sure any car company would pay big $$$ if you could turn them into lexus.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I never said otherwise.

It takes $$$ to make more $$$$$$$.

Not everyone will be successful even with the right formula. while Infiniti does not sell as many cars but the brand itself is generally viewed higher than Acura. They currently do not have the right models and most of their crap are from 2008.

For one, they are not afraid to give what the consumers want.

You want 6mt, Q60 will have it. You want more power, turbo I4 and V6 are coming. You don't like the E-steering, we will drop it and put the hydrolic steering back... sounds a lot more appealing to me than Acura...
if infiniti is what consumers want, why don't consumers buy more infinitis?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I get that. I'm just saying the decisions on the tlx are probably business based decisions. like no manual option probably bc they don't sell a lot of manuals.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 PM

I get that. I'm just saying the decisions on the tlx are probably business based decisions. like no manual option probably bc they don't sell a lot of manuals.
Yeah, as far as the manuals are concerned, the whole market is heading that way. Heck, you can't even get a Ferrari with a manual transmission anymore; the take rates are just too low.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

cool. :slowclap:

you should put this knowledge of yours to work. I'm sure any car company would pay big $$$ if you could turn them into lexus.
I am sorry i dont want to work for Acura.

But i make enough for doing what i do.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
BMW sells 10k 3 series models every month and at a higher price. What's your point? 5k units sold is laughable.
ok, please excuse me.

The sad part is that Honda doesn't care what we think. Even if there was a poll of a million people who said they don't want hidden exhausts, Honda would tell us all to sit on it and spin.

I'm not sure there's a single person I have ever met or known who has liked the Acura beak. Yet it still exists in some way to this day. Why you ask? Because Honda doesn't GAF about what anyone else thinks. You'll still buy it, because it's a Honda. They are riding along on their reputation at this point but it'll eventually end.
I think there's a give and take on this. a lot of times folks don't like new models at first and it takes some getting used to. the 4g did grow on me a little, but still not a fan of the way that car looks. the beak in particular. so sometimes the designers are ahead of the curve and sometimes not. sometimes the consumer knows better. I don't have a problem with the tlx. would be cool to see a type-s or coupe.

I don't know what the future holds.

That's not saying much.
ok.

Honda pays people hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with brand marketing and strategies. If they did something so simple as a consumer survey or voice of customer survey, they'd get tons of feedback.
maybe if folks at the forum feel strongly enough they should approach acura. if enough people are saying the same things surely they'd listen.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

This is what every performance and enthusiast related brand will do. MB, Lexus, Porsche, BMW, etc all have a way for you to get exactly what you want (if you're willing to pay for it) even things like completely custom one off colors. Simple things like color combos and feature sets are the things that really piss me off about Honda. Even though it's the EXACT SAME CAR I can't have a certain combo of colors or options? WTF? I've made this comment before but the Accord sport 6MT probably has the same exact same wiring harness and 98% of the same electrical components as the V6 Touring. Why the flying fvck can I not get a sunroof and leather seats in a sport manual?
The funny thing is, no one had to pay a single dime more to get the "custom" configured Miatas. Just a bit of voicing their concerns and the company listened. Now THAT is customer service. A company that actually listens. Hmmm... Who would've thought something like that exists in this Millenium.

I never saw Mazda as a company I'd be buying products from, but hearing that they're willing to listen to average Joes has definitely put them on my radar for the future.

I totally hear what you're saying about the Accords too. Isn't it absolutely frustrating?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

I never said otherwise.

if infiniti is what consumers want, why don't consumers buy more infinitis?
Infiniti DID give what the consumers want... for your lack of automotive knowledge, starting in 2003, G35/G35C and to some extend 2008+ G37 were a HUGE success for Infiniti.

They were so good, i had 3 of them.

However, they slowly going with weird design and the same old VQ crap (sounds familiar?) and the market is punishing them for that as we speak.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, as far as the manuals are concerned, the whole market is heading that way. Heck, you can't even get a Ferrari with a manual transmission anymore; the take rates are just too low.
didn't mean to point the finger at accountants.

the other transmissions are lighter and shifting faster nowadays too, but there is a fun-factor to having a clutch.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Infiniti DID give what the consumers want... for your lack of automotive knowledge, starting in 2003, G35/G35C and to some extend 2008+ G37 were a HUGE success for Infiniti.

They were so good, i had 3 of them.

However, they slowly going with weird design and the same old VQ crap (sounds familiar?) and the market is punishing them for that as we speak.
my brother had a g35. was a good car. I like the g, and don't understand why they scrapped it.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News