Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 03:33 PM
SHIFT_god

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a while....

Well boys, it's been quite some time since i've said anything or even read anything and A LOT has changed...

First off, the TL is no longer apart of my familia. My father unfortunately traded it in for a Ford F-150
It was a heart braking weekend for me, but I survived. I'm still cool with DuckBlue, so there is at least one TL in my life... haha

Second, (Mantis might be disappointed) I got rid of my protege and got myself a 95 Nissan Maxima. To be honest, I LOVE THIS CAR. I've already cleared the corners and purchased a strut, so i'm on my way. Hopefully soon I will be able to hold my own next to DuckBlue .

Mantis, I've been told that you have already ordered the headers for your CL. I'm definitly curious how well those help.

DuckBlue had told me about Comptech new Ice Box for the CL/TL, so I stopped by Intercrew to get a price for him. They called their Comptech rep (I guess) and he told them that there was a temporary delay on the release because of some minor problem... I don't remember what she told me the problem was, mostly due to the fact that I consumed a large amount of alcohol this weekend.

Anyways, hope all are well and as soon as I've got a few more additions I'll have to start "challenging" you guys

CasperTL
Old 10-13-2002, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, long time no see. Sorry to hear about the TL. Hope you enjoy your Max. My aunt has a 98 SE, I love driving it everytime i visit. Even though the TLs gone, your still welcome here. We're all going to Ennis in Nov, come along and see what that Max can do.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Casper:
pshhh.. the maxima is way faster than the protege, but dont think you'd be beating us unless you go mod crazy like thomas (13sec maxima) dumping nearly 20g's into it

I also stopped by intercrew yesterday, ashly mentioned the ice box was leaking air somewhere and making noises? dunno. I asked phil about dyno runs, and he said its normally 75$ a person, but if you have 7 or more ppl, its $50 each

on a side note, last night, i played with my friend's 240sx that swapped for the sr20det (t for turbo) and he continuously whooped me... thats one freakishly fast car. he also mentioned he edged out his friend's 02 maxima (modded) that runs 14.1 at the track, and another friend's supercharged prelude. we used to go around toying with ricers, but now i've become one of the "victims"
Old 10-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: It's been a while....

Originally posted by CasperTL

Second, (Mantis might be disappointed) I got rid of my protege and got myself a 95 Nissan Maxima. To be honest, I LOVE THIS CAR. I've already cleared the corners and purchased a strut, so i'm on my way. Hopefully soon I will be able to hold my own next to DuckBlue .

Mantis, I've been told that you have already ordered the headers for your CL. I'm definitly curious how well those help.

CasperTL
Good to hear from ya Casper...

You double disssed me, firsst you get rid of the TL, and then the Mazda! What a traitor! :P

Heh, yeah, I got my headers on yesterday.

I JUST got back from taking her for a test drive and all I can say is Holy crap! She pulls all over the place! It felt soo good, and I hated to give her back to the shop, they aren't done with the system yet.

I had no fitament issues with the headers at all, everything worked perfectly and I can say that was the BEST DAMN 340 bucks I spent on my car.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by DuckBlue
Casper:
pshhh.. the maxima is way faster than the protege, but dont think you'd be beating us unless you go mod crazy like thomas (13sec maxima) dumping nearly 20g's into it

I also stopped by intercrew yesterday, ashly mentioned the ice box was leaking air somewhere and making noises? dunno. I asked phil about dyno runs, and he said its normally 75$ a person, but if you have 7 or more ppl, its $50 each

on a side note, last night, i played with my friend's 240sx that swapped for the sr20det (t for turbo) and he continuously whooped me... thats one freakishly fast car. he also mentioned he edged out his friend's 02 maxima (modded) that runs 14.1 at the track, and another friend's supercharged prelude. we used to go around toying with ricers, but now i've become one of the "victims"
Damn duckblue, any chance you think he'd want to go to the track?
Old 10-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mantis23
Civic, I hate to rub it in, but West End was off the chain last night... I'm going back tonight... I didn't take my vid cam, but a friend of mine did... all I can say is

I'll be sure to take my cam today though.
I'm curious what you were talking about.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by danny25
I'm curious what you were talking about.
It was Texas - OU Weekend, and everybody usually crowds the West End & Deep Ellum in Dallas. Billions of chicks everywhere.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Comptech Springs and Sways

Originally posted by InfernoTLS
Did I mention my springs and sways are on now? They sure are sweet. It drives like it should around the twisties now (not that we have any decent roads for driving up in North Dallas). The ride is firm but not too stiff to make it a bad daily driver. Body roll is much more acceptable when cornering.

The best part is the balance, though. I took it to a certain corner behind an industrial park that never has traffic that I really enjoy screeming through (don't worry, it is a low speed corner, mom). Before, the car would push a lot through the turn--too much understeer. I would plow the front end through the turn, keep adding turn to the wheel, and add just a little gas to get out of the turn. Now, the car rotates just enough so that it goes where it is pointed better and the backend follows around like it should (but not so much that you would call it drift like in a RWD car). I can add more gas than before and leave the turn faster.

It feels like the front tires keep a better tire patch on the road than before (might be the slightly improved camber from dropping it or maybe that plus the lower center of gravity) AND it feels like the back tires are adding to the grip more than they did in the past. Also, turn-in is much more direct--it feels more point and shoot than before.

And it looks so much better without looking too pimped out. I gotta keep the sleeper look...

Just wait and see what it will do with some better rubber.

Here's to a great week for everyone.

RUF
Old 10-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Finally, some nice cool weather and low humidity.

So I decide to take another test run, but only managed one try as traffic kept coming.

What was worse is that I pulled a RUFio, hit the rev limiter, but I still hit 6.38 sec to 60. It was reving so quick and smooth I wanted to let it ride on out. I probaly could have hit 6.3 flat if I didn't blow it. That's right there with the 6.29 results that many think is bogus, and a 6.7 being more typical.

Anyway, with an Ice Box and some tire pressure adjustments I think I can hit 6.1. That should put me in the mid 14's (14.5-14.7 range).

We'll just have to wait and see down in Ennis.

RUF
Old 10-14-2002, 02:18 AM
Suzuka Master

How do you time that? You just watch your speedo and a stop watch at the same time, kind of a funny picture.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:19 AM
Suzuka Master

well i guess you don't have to watch the stop watch, duh
Old 10-14-2002, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Re: Re: Comptech Springs and Sways

Originally posted by RUF87
Just wait and see what it will do with some better rubber. RUF
And I ordered my baby's new shoes last night...Ventus Sport K104s in OEM size.

Since nobody has this new tire yet so I couldn't get a review BUT it had a good write up in Grassroots Motorsports' November tire test (basically a same car, different tires timed set of runs on an autocross course with two drivers reporting each run time, fast time, average time for each driver for each tire), I decided to pull the trigger.

They should arrive early this week!

Inferno
Old 10-14-2002, 07:04 AM
Advanced

I think I am now officially out of money for the rest of the year! This is a tough crowd to keep up with...
Old 10-14-2002, 07:49 AM
SHIFT_god

Damn duckblue, any chance you think he'd want to go to the track?
Actually I have been looking at TONS of performance parts and I think I can move up fairly quick.

I had been a little confused as I got an offer to buy a y-pipe from this guy in Houston. To my stupidity, I thought this pipe was to change my car to a dual exhaust system. WRONG! Reading a very descriptive summary of the difference between the stock y-pipe and a performance pipe (included pictures) I noticed that it is a replacement for the pipe that starts the exhaust system. It actually connects up to the headers and bolts on to the rest of the exhaust pipe at the end. It basically gives the exhaust system a bigger pipe (from 2" to 2.5") and technically replaces the first cat with a high flow cat. Click Here.

If you click the link at the bottom, you can see the dyno sheets that show approximately a 30hp gain in both HP and Torque. And THAT should put me right around the TL-P's. Only 35 more horse power after that and I should be cruising right along with you
Old 10-14-2002, 08:25 AM
Instructor

well, it looks like i'll be needing new tires sooner than i had originally planned

i went out last night playing with my friend's 240 again, and uhh.. encountered some mishap

one of my tires was slowly leaking air, so i had it patched at NTB about a month ago. and last night, while we were playing, my rear passenger tire busted, and thats the one they patched. it busted on the tread, not the sidewall, and it almost looks like the point where they previously patched it. do you guys think i can get them to replace the tire? Or was it just stupid of me to be going about 80-90 with a patched tire. are patched tires supposed to be weaker than the rating on the original tire?

ugh.. live & learn.. looks like i'll be visiting them today
Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

casper, you'd be right alongside me if I was stock, but I'm not. :P :P

Think you'd want to head to the track just for shits and giggles anyway?
Old 10-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

yeah duckblue, the integrity of the tire goes down considerably when you patch it. I don't think they'll replace it for free, I could be wrong though.

Hmm, I wonder what our warranty is like on those michelins?
Old 10-14-2002, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Danny, I saw the thread where you were trying to get those springs. That guy is a jerk, he shouldn't have posted the damn thread if he wasn't ready to sell. What an asshat. Don't mean to get you riled up or nuffin', but $35 for shipping springs? come on!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 AM
SHIFT_god

Well, I know that you already know how i'm going to respond to that. When a company patches a tire it is supposed to be just as good as a tire without a patch. It should not make a difference. If the tire is leaking where the patch is, they should fix it without charge and if it cannot be repatch then THEY should replace the tire. The fact that you were going 80-90 is irrelavent. It would have still happened going 30-40, just a little further in the future.

Recently (you should remember this Bin) I had a hole in my tire on my protege. I had it patched at Discount Tire (i always go there, it's free) and that night drove to College Station and you KNOW I did 80-90 the whole way there. The tire is still in good condition and the patch held up as it should.

Mantis, you're right, I would only be next to you if you were stock, but that entire thought seeing as how I used to drive a 1.6L 103HP car changing to this is a HUGE deal to me. And if I get a couple things taken care of in the near future, I might just have to join you guys in Ennis.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Dude, the track is about to close for the season, join us anyway. :P
Old 10-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

only 200 behind sacramento... lets keep rollin'.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

umm casper,
whenever you have 2 remotely different subjects, you have to make a new post for it. you should know better.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:15 PM
SHIFT_god

Subject 1:

Mantis, let me know when yall are going. What I meant by that comment is mearly the fact that I have a check engine light on right now, but the people on the Maxima Forums have given me a lot of hope saying that it should only be a sensor and nothing major. So, let me know when yall will be going next and I'm there.

There is a group who calls themselves the D.N.E (Dallas Area Nissan Enthusiats) and they will be going down as a group on Oct 25, which unfortunately I will not be able to go to.

If you guys know what weekend yall will be going, I will do my best to go and make sure DuckBlue comes too.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:16 PM
SHIFT_god

Subject 2:

Mantis, you are right, me of all people should know about multiple posts .

I promise to try to keep up with your average of 3 posts everytime you have a couple things to say.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Instructor

well, i went by NTB this morning (cuz they're like 2 minutes from my houes) and they said its not their patch that blew up, it was another point. they wanted 200$ for the stock michelin replacements, and didnt even have it in stock, wanting me to wait 2-3 business days. they didnt carry the dunlop SP5000 either, nor the yoko yk420, so i said bye bye

i went to discount tire later (coit&190) and they also agreed that it wasnt that patched portion that blew up, so i'm at least satisfied now. I went ahead and got the yokohama 420's (i remember rootbeer posting in another thread saying he got those) cuz it was quite a bit cheaper than both the oem michelins and the dunlops. I went ahead and got all 4 replaced, and it seems to be quieter than stock (which i found really noisy) and so far so good. I didnt get to really test it out yet, cuz i only had a half hr break between classes, so i'm back here sittin in class.

gotta love 802.11b
Old 10-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Instructor

you guys wouldnt know anyone by any chance that would want 3 oem michelins do you? used 14k mi
Old 10-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Instructor

i'm learning from mantis... new subject, new post... way to catch up to the sac thread
Old 10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Subject 1:

Mantis, let me know when yall are going. What I meant by that comment is mearly the fact that I have a check engine light on right now, but the people on the Maxima Forums have given me a lot of hope saying that it should only be a sensor and nothing major. So, let me know when yall will be going next and I'm there.

There is a group who calls themselves the D.N.E (Dallas Area Nissan Enthusiats) and they will be going down as a group on Oct 25, which unfortunately I will not be able to go to.

If you guys know what weekend yall will be going, I will do my best to go and make sure DuckBlue comes too.
Excellent, I hope your check engine light isn't a major thing also.
As far as when we head down there, we've narrowed it down to 2 dates November 15th, and November 22.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

you guys wouldnt know anyone by any chance that would want 3 oem michelins do you? used 14k mi
I'm afraid I wouldnt know.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Subject 2:

Mantis, you are right, me of all people should know about multiple posts .

I promise to try to keep up with your average of 3 posts everytime you have a couple things to say.
...More than happy to refresh your memory.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i'm learning from mantis... new subject, new post... way to catch up to the sac thread
Bingo
Old 10-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Danny, I saw the thread where you were trying to get those springs. That guy is a jerk, he shouldn't have posted the damn thread if he wasn't ready to sell. What an asshat. Don't mean to get you riled up or nuffin', but $35 for shipping springs? come on!
yeah, i don't know what to do. I guess i'll just wait around to see if he's ever gonna sell them. If he doesn't i might just buy some new springs. How much should shipping cost? Think I should call him on it if it's cheaper?
Old 10-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I couple of friends of mine are going that Fri. and i'm gonna tag along. If anyone else wants to join us, come on.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

gotta love 802.11b
what's that? I know it's some IEEE code for network, but what are you refering to?

The pw in me made me post this.:P Just doing my part to whoop Sac town.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

yeah, i don't know what to do. I guess i'll just wait around to see if he's ever gonna sell them. If he doesn't i might just buy some new springs. How much should shipping cost? Think I should call him on it if it's cheaper?
I dunno how much shipping should cost exactly, but $35 is too much. Call him on it, you could save at least 20 bucks to buy a down payment on your next mod, some beer, or a cheap hooker.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I couple of friends of mine are going that Fri. and i'm gonna tag along. If anyone else wants to join us, come on.
If I have my car back by then, definetly count me in. I got the new battery, alternator, all new wiring / connectors, bass control module and other misc crap today, so it shouldn't be too much longer. I hope.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

what's that? I know it's some IEEE code for network, but what are you refering to?

The pw in me made me post this.:P Just doing my part to whoop Sac town.
Keep up the good work, captain.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

well, i went by NTB this morning (cuz they're like 2 minutes from my houes) and they said its not their patch that blew up, it was another point. they wanted 200$ for the stock michelin replacements, and didnt even have it in stock, wanting me to wait 2-3 business days. they didnt carry the dunlop SP5000 either, nor the yoko yk420, so i said bye bye

i went to discount tire later (coit&190) and they also agreed that it wasnt that patched portion that blew up, so i'm at least satisfied now. I went ahead and got the yokohama 420's (i remember rootbeer posting in another thread saying he got those) cuz it was quite a bit cheaper than both the oem michelins and the dunlops. I went ahead and got all 4 replaced, and it seems to be quieter than stock (which i found really noisy) and so far so good. I didnt get to really test it out yet, cuz i only had a half hr break between classes, so i'm back here sittin in class.

gotta love 802.11b
glad to hear they didn't try to get over on ya.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I see you again, Hanzie. :P
Old 10-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hanzie, when does yer exhaust get here? Hasn't it been three weeks yet?

Is Jeremy or your brother heading to the track before it closes?

Quick Reply: Any Dallas area meets? - July 22 (Thread Retired)