Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
That's grabbing the market. Market penetration.

Google is at the point where they can afford projects that don't gain them any profit. But indirectly it can profit.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 04-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
For the people who like taking Photospheres and viewing/sharing them:

http://sphereshare.net/#!/gallery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ub.sphereshare

I put some up on my G+ on our trip to the Getty Center yesterday. They came out okay considering I was rushing to take them not to annoy people who were there. Lol.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Yea I have that app, takes forever to load pics though haha, but its cool nonetheless.

edit: also does anyone want to check the ingress map again, which one is the underdog near usc?

Last edited by speedemon90; 04-08-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

Overall, Enlightened and Resistance are equal in Mind Units at the moment. In the USC area, a quick glance seems to show more Resistance than Enlightened at the moment.

They're planning to have some kind of event at the Magic Castle on April 24:

https://plus.google.com/105211554081...ts/HFFhuPBnwF7

Wonder how that's gonna work out.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,482 Posts
^^^
yeah, here in Vancouver, the first month or so when I started playing was dominated mainly by the Resistance (the side I picked), but it's pretty even now... and changes daily actually. One day, it might look like the entire DT area is covered in green, and then the next day is shifts to blue
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Man, I knew the Internets were filled with some crazy hateful people, but I never knew just how insane they were until today... what a scary world of anonymity.

Not related, Mike did you see this?

:p
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

^Yeah I saw that. I'm on AT&T but Sony is bringing that device way too late now. The HTC One and S4 are already coming out and the Z hasn't even been officially announced here. At this point, I'm not even sure why Sony is bringing it out to the US any more. Also, a lot of reviews say the display is lackluster, which would be the main reason I'd upgrade my phone so I've scratched the Z off my list for the time being unless it magically becomes cheaper than the other devices out there.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
I shoot people

Went to the movies Saturday night and there was a HTC kiosk displaying the ONE (with a couple hotties working the promotion ) but my gf and I wanted to make sure we got good seats so I asked them how long they were going to be there, they told me pretty much all night, but when the movie ended, they were gone. But for the few seconds I held the demo, it felt very well built
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Goodbye.

No question HTC can build great phones when they do, but it is everything else about it that raises questions from time to time.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Suzuka Master

But what do you think the avg consumer will think about it. It definitely looks better than the SGS4 aesthetically and I'm sure is of higher quality.

Now IMO just because its not stock android doesnt mean its a deal breaker for the average consumer, shouldnt even be for us as long as they nailed the experience properly. I still havent read a review haha, I'll go do that right now.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Goodbye.

I think it really depends on the training materials given to stores and how the sales people will go about it.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Samsung is on top now because they spent lots of money in advertising their phone no matter how plasticky it is. HTC doesn't have the money to even match that advertising campaign and unfortunately that may really be all that makes the difference. I've talked to quite a few people who are looking to upgrade phones and the first thing that pops up in the conversation is the new S4. Mention the HTC One to them and they've never heard of it even though it launched a few weeks before the S4. Once they saw the build of the One, they wanted it. So really the problem for HTC is having people know its even available before worrying about anything else. Samsung floods the market with their ads and hate it or love it, they're the new "cool" at the moment despite making plastic phones.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

The new Play Store redesign is rolling out today!

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/...ogle-play.html

I hope Android Police gets a hold of the APK so we don't have to wait it out.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

New 4.0 Play Store APK:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/09...-store-4-0-25/

No root needed. Install like any other APK!

EDIT: The new Play Store is pretty damn sexy! Makes Jelly Bean look old and outdated now. Lol. I hope Key Lime Pie brings a lot of these new designs.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 04-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Samsung is on top now because they spent lots of money in advertising their phone no matter how plasticky it is. HTC doesn't have the money to even match that advertising campaign and unfortunately that may really be all that makes the difference. I've talked to quite a few people who are looking to upgrade phones and the first thing that pops up in the conversation is the new S4. Mention the HTC One to them and they've never heard of it even though it launched a few weeks before the S4. Once they saw the build of the One, they wanted it. So really the problem for HTC is having people know its even available before worrying about anything else. Samsung floods the market with their ads and hate it or love it, they're the new "cool" at the moment despite making plastic phones.
True. I know HTC is having pop up stations to educate and promote people of the One in select cities, but they really have to ad blitz the heck out of everyone. Not to mention Samsung will now be in most Best Buys.... 14,000 stores sure seems like overkill but damn if it isn't effective.

I heard someone say, "I'm waiting for the new Galaxy" the other day and something died in me.

and a word of caution about installing the leaked APK for the new Google Play:
https://plus.google.com/115963387846...ts/5wv5YDWgVWu
Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Goodbye.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/a...exas-official/

Only took 3 months for Google to get what they want: competition towards a better future for everybody.......or something like that.

Huzzah!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
True. I know HTC is having pop up stations to educate and promote people of the One in select cities, but they really have to ad blitz the heck out of everyone. Not to mention Samsung will now be in most Best Buys.... 14,000 stores sure seems like overkill but damn if it isn't effective.

I heard someone say, "I'm waiting for the new Galaxy" the other day and something died in me.

I got it from Android Police, I trust that they wouldnt put up a bad mirror. Mines perfectly fine! Looks good, but I did like how they advertised adds in the home page in the old play store with the images, made it look good. I do like the bigger icons and cards. Makes it look good.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster

Same thing happened to me. Lol. Don't get me wrong, Samsung did a lot for Android but they need to evolve their design and take some risks like they did back in the day.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing a System APK. What happened in Phil's screenshot is probably due to Google not updating their servers in certain areas to match the new Play Store since it was just barely rolling out. From what I've read, that blank screen was happening on devices outside of the US. As for System APKs, Android will verify the signature before it installs over a previous system apk. If it doesn't match it will fail to install or it will install it as a separate app which means its not original as the key was probably modified. With that said, don't just install any apk you find on the internet which should be common sense to everyone. Know which sites you can and can't trust. I've been sideloading apps since Cupcake and I've never had any issues with malware. I guess just know which sites to trust and which sites to be cautious with.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

AT&T Samsung Skyrocket and T-Mobile S II Jelly Bean update.

One of the things to commend Samsung with is their updates. The AT&T Skyrocket and T-Mobile S II are getting Jelly Bean udpates starting today via Kies:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...5&fm_seq=51638

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3029

This update will not be OTA! You have to get it via Kies. I'm guessing the Sprint and Verizon versions will be coming soon. The original Note will probably follow in the next few weeks.

HTC needs to step up its update process. They used to be amongst the best, now they're one of the worst which is one of the things making me do a double take on the HTC One. Just need CyanogenMod and I'll be good. Also, dev version of HTC One will NOT have S-Off. AT&T version will have a locked bootloader and no official unlock method has been announced. Hopefully, the dev version will be useful in both regards.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

google babel info, I wonder how well the messaging thing on multiple devices will work. I use fb with friends, used to use G+ messenger but fb allows use on comp so we switched our group to that. Probably switch back to this as I wont be on fb anymore and keep getting people messaging me at random times

Whenever Google Babel does arrive for public consumption, we’re starting to believe it will be everything we have ever asked for in a unified messenger service. We’re talking synced notifications, cross-platform conversation experiences, a new UI, photo sharing, quick access to live video chats, and on-the-record chat history viewing from anywhere. According to sources of ours who have shared new information with us (including a feature list), we’re getting all of this and more.

Google Babel as a product is a collaboration of work by the Google+, Android, Chrome and Apps teams. Through their combined efforts, as was previously reported by us, we’ll see this unified service launch in Gmail and as Android, iOS, and Chrome apps. What’s particularly interesting, is that Google is talking about the iOS app as being the first time they have built a “first class iOS experience” when it comes to a messaging service. I can’t say that I’m familiar with their current iOS offerings, so I’ll leave the iOS experts to weigh in on the quality of Talk (if there even is an app) and G+ Messenger.

We’ve also learned that Google Voice support is “eventually” coming to Babel, however, the service initially only brings together Talk, Hangouts, and Messenger. This was an inclusion we were hoping to see from the beginning, but won’t, from what we understand. No specific details on how Voice will blend into Babel were given, just that it’s coming later on down the road.

Continuing on – there will be notification syncing across devices and platforms. For example, if you have a browser open on a desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone that are all attached to Babel and receive a message, once you check that message on any of the devices, the notification will disappear from the others. As someone who operates a half-dozen devices at any time throughout a day, I can’t tell you how important this feature is. It may be the most important.

We’ll also see a brand new UI that promotes conversations and is applied across all versions of Babel. You’ll be able to send photos, use 800+ emoji (not an exaggeration), look back at any on-the-recrod conversation from any device, group chat, and of course, carry all conversations with you to and from any device.

Here is a feature list according to a Google memo (colorful commentary is theirs, not ours):

Brand new UI. We’ve designed a new UI that’s applied across all clients and promotes conversations.
Stay in sync. With just one conversation list and experience across mobile and desktop, everything is always in sync. Install the Chrome app, the Android app, and iOS app.
Desktop app. Stop laying whack a mole across blinking browser tabs. With the new Chrome app your conversations continue outside of the browser.
Keep a group conversation going to coordinate with your team, and start a Hangout with a single tap whenever you need to talk face-to-face.
Be notified…just once. Get notifications on your two phones, tablet, laptop, and desktop. Open it on one and watch the others disappear. If you’re actively using your computer or phone we’ll even intelligently notify you on just one of those endpoints. Magic!
Message more than just text. Add a photo to the conversation and/or send some of the 800+ emoji to your coworkers. Kittens and poop are particularly helpful in explaining complex issues.
Get nostalgic. Scroll back in time and relive any (on-the-record) conversation, on any device.
More ways to talk. For the first time we are building a first class iOS experience. Try out our very early preview on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
I will say that the screenshots posted yesterday by TechRadar appear to me to be the real deal. From what I have seen, the emoji box does slide up from the bottom, though I’ve also seen the box with a black background. Conversations will look the same – threaded with profile pictures of the participants.

Still no word on a release date.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

^I wish they'd integrate SMS as well on top of GTalk, Hangouts, Messenger and Voice. Although, maybe it will be integrated. Messenger apparently already works with SMS as I wasn't aware of it.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11436237...ts/RSLaBV1rKm4

Would be nice if they integrate Hangouts into the dialer as well kinda like how FaceTime works but maybe Apple wouldn't like that. Lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm would be interesting, but I really dont mind them being separate. FB does that now, and I tried it out, but I didnt like it haha, I want those two separate.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by speedemon90
google babel info, I wonder how well the messaging thing on multiple devices will work. I use fb with friends, used to use G+ messenger but fb allows use on comp so we switched our group to that. Probably switch back to this as I wont be on fb anymore and keep getting people messaging me at random times
I thought G+ already lets you msg on comp?

And I think SMS integration into Babel will come when they integrate Google Voice with it. They need to get MMS working on Voice first before starting all that though. Although with everyone forcing unlimited voice and texting on their phone plans now, the cost saving perk is pointless

HOLY facepalm HTC! I just realized that the HTC First aka Facebook phone will come out the week BEFORE the HTC One. WTF?!
I guarantee more people will go into the stores asking for the Facebook phone than the One, if they even know about it.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 04-10-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I shoot people

...so, after picking up the N4 back in Feb, I still kept the GNex... I think I'm just going to sell it on CL. Anyway, I was curious and wanted to do some side by side comparisons, and the GNex is actually about the same speed, at times faster when uploading pages.

for me, one of the true tests is loading one of my own photos from Flickr in the largest size res. and the GNex actually loads faster than the N4

this would be a typical page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6327158...n/photostream/
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

No G+ messenger on the phone doesn't sync with comp. The one on the comp is talk, which also works on the phone, but i dont think they have it for iOS, which one of my friends has.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by is300eater
...so, after picking up the N4 back in Feb, I still kept the GNex... I think I'm just going to sell it on CL. Anyway, I was curious and wanted to do some side by side comparisons, and the GNex is actually about the same speed, at times faster when uploading pages.

for me, one of the true tests is loading one of my own photos from Flickr in the largest size res. and the GNex actually loads faster than the N4

this would be a typical page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6327158...n/photostream/
same browser on each phone?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 AM
I shoot people

same browser on each phone?
yup
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
I shoot people

I mean... it's very close with random pages (like AZ, or FB) but when I get to that test of loading that page of the large size res. of that Camaro, that's when the GNex finishes loading a LOT faster
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Safety Car

^The Galaxy Nexus is still a pretty a good phone. On my end, the RAM seems to be my bottleneck. I have too many apps running in the background now that I'll see a redraw more often than I would like. Compared to my Nexus 7, which is also 1 GB of RAM but has a little bit more usable RAM because it doesn't have a radio and it doesn't share RAM with the GPU, so the redraws are less frequent. If the devs can somehow squeeze that little bit of RAM I think I'd be good for a while. (Similar to how they did it with the Galaxy S by removing 720p recording from the camera.)
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe the Gnex has better radios than the N4.

Compare opening up a game or app that normally takes some time.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 AM
I shoot people

Maybe the Gnex has better radios than the N4.

Compare opening up a game or app that normally takes some time.
I just ran some more apps and the N4 IS faster... I don't have games on my phone(s) anymore, I basically just keep games on my N7. But as for Flipboard, Netflix goes... the N4 was a bit faster, and the picture (on Netflix) is noticeably sharper. But I went back to that page with the large size res. photo and again... the GNex finished uploading the page first (by a lot).

Anyway, whatever... I just wanted to point that out. IMO, for people getting into smartphones late, used Galaxy Nexus' are probably one of the best bangs of the $$.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

True, my guess is that the Gnex possibly has a better wifi radio than the N4

I just realized, did you guys ever end up having that meet. Realized I completely forgot although I've just been swamped. School ends May 2nd for me though
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I shoot people

I just realized, did you guys ever I end up having that meet. Realized I completely forgot although I've just been swamped. School ends May 2nd for me though
I ended up not coming home. Long story short, the night before I was suppose to come back I couldn't freaking find my passport The next morning tried getting a temp passport at the US Consultant and almost pulled it off. The process took about 3 hours and by the time they issued me the temp passport I had missed my bus to Seattle by about 15 minutes (I was flying home from Seattle SeaTac). So I ended postponing the trip until June
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Goodbye.

No G+ messenger on the phone doesn't sync with comp. The one on the comp is talk, which also works on the phone, but i dont think they have it for iOS, which one of my friends has.
Even if you use it through G+?
Originally Posted by is300eater
I ended up not coming home. Long story short, the night before I was suppose to come back I couldn't freaking find my passport The next morning tried getting a temp passport at the US Consultant and almost pulled it off. The process took about 3 hours and by the time they issued me the temp passport I had missed my bus to Seattle by about 15 minutes (I was flying home from Seattle SeaTac). So I ended postponing the trip until June
That, and there wasn't a single date that suited everybody's needs either.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Nope G+ messenger is strictly on the phone. No access to the convo on the computer, that I know of at least
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Goodbye.

Hmm I guess that chat thingy on G+ must be linked to Google Talk/Gchat then.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

yupp the chat on G+ is linked to google talk.

edit: talking about the chat on the computer of G+.

On the phone G+ chat isnt linked to anything
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

So Samsung is releasing their Galaxy Mega line now. (Ridiculous name btw.):

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/s...-mega-6-3-5-8/

6.3" and a 5.8" midrange devices. Someone on Twitter posted that Samsung devices now cover the following sizes:

I see they can still fill in the 8.1-9.9 range. They're really trying to cover every size or something and they say HTC makes too many devices. Lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I shoot people

1280 x 720 on a 6.3" screen? I would think the screen wouldn't be very sharp or anything worthy by today's standards
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
HELP... please???

Got the new computer and downloaded Kies. Plugged it into to G2 Skyrocket and said new firmware is availiable (never said this crap on the old system). So what the heck. I update and go from ICS to JellyBean. So I'm high fiving for a few seconds, then I realize none of my email accounts work or the widget or app or whatever that will put contacts picks on the screen has been scaled to 1, 3, or 9. The pics are small too.

1) Does anyone know the app from ICS so I can restory that screen, and
2) Does JB treat email accounts differently? Should I delete them all out and reinstall them?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread