Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Here's an interesting tidbit...

My typing on the S3 is horribly inaccurate compared to how I was on the NS. I keep the same speed thats why all the mistakes, but I can't just slow down. This is on a ported 4.2 keyboard and swiftkey flow.

I've been using this for a while, and I should have adjusted....
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 129 Posts
After a few months of using my Nexus 7 as a head unit in my car, I've ordered the newest pioneer appradio to use with my Galaxy Nexus and ARliberator app.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Andy Rubin Stepping Down from Android

Sergey and I first heard about Android back in 2004, when Andy Rubin came to visit us at Google. He believed that aligning standards around an open-source operating system would drive innovation across the mobile industry. Most people thought he was nuts. But his insight immediately struck a chord because at the time it was extremely painful developing services for mobile devices. We had a closet full of more than 100 phones and were building our software pretty much device by device. It was nearly impossible for us to make truly great mobile experiences.

Fast forward to today. The pace of innovation has never been greater, and Android is the most used mobile operating system in the world: we have a global partnership of over 60 manufacturers; more than 750 million devices have been activated globally; and 25 billion apps have now been downloaded from Google Play. Pretty extraordinary progress for a decade’s work. Having exceeded even the crazy ambitious goals we dreamed of for Android—and with a really strong leadership team in place—Andy’s decided it’s time to hand over the reins and start a new chapter at Google. Andy, more moonshots please!

Going forward, Sundar Pichai will lead Android, in addition to his existing work with Chrome and Apps. Sundar has a talent for creating products that are technically excellent yet easy to use—and he loves a big bet. Take Chrome, for example. In 2008, people asked whether the world really needed another browser. Today Chrome has hundreds of millions of happy users and is growing fast thanks to its speed, simplicity and security. So while Andy’s a really hard act to follow, I know Sundar will do a tremendous job doubling down on Android as we work to push the ecosystem forward.

Today we’re living in a new computing environment. People are really excited about technology and spending a lot of money on devices. This is driving faster adoption than we have ever seen before. The Nexus program—developed in conjunction with our partners Asus, HTC, LG and Samsung—has become a beacon of innovation for the industry, and services such as Google Now have the potential to really improve your life. We’re getting closer to a world where technology takes care of the hard work—discovery, organization, communication—so that you can get on with what makes you happiest… living and loving. It’s an exciting time to be at Google.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/...-from-ceo.html

Thoughts? Sundar Pichai is taking over. Makes sense if Google is really trying to unify Android and Chrome which is what I hope they do.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Never seen this before, an enemy field established with the other team's portals

Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

^Happens often apparently as I've seen a bunch of people discuss it on the ingress communities. Its a game bug. I forget if they say to report it or wait it out and see what happens. Sometimes the portals don't decay in real time or something along those lines.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
Got the phone hour ago and activated it but no data yet. Just phone and text. This normal?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
^ Did you turn on mobile data in settings?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/...-from-ceo.html

Thoughts? Sundar Pichai is taking over. Makes sense if Google is really trying to unify Android and Chrome which is what I hope they do.
And now you have your answer to why that giant chrome Android statue was built at the Googleplex earlier this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
Got the phone hour ago and activated it but no data yet. Just phone and text. This normal?
Can you check which APN you're on?

Settings --> More --> Mobile Networks --> Access Point Names

If you're on the correct LTE plan for AT&T, you should see an APN called ATT LTE pta.

Also, what phone did you upgrade your account from? AT&T has a variety of 4G/LTE plans apparently and if you're not on the correct data plan, you won't be able to use certain APNs until they correct it in their system. If you came from an old 3G/HSPA+ phone you're more likely going to be on their ATT HSPA+ phone APN.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Heads up. Google is starting to remove adblockers from the Play Store. So if you have one installed now, don't plan on uninstalling it unless you have a backup.

Are you the developer of an ad-blocking application or the user of one? Well, Google says, “shame on you!” Today, Google has gone ahead and removed some offending ad-blocker apps from Google Play.

Google cites these applications violate certain terms that developers agree to, by interfering with or accessing another service in an unauthorized manner. It might suck for people who love ad-blockers, but Google can’t have you messing with their revenue stream.

Here is the email Google is sending out to offenders:

This is a notification that your application, Ad Blocker ★ Root ★, with package ID com.jrummy.apps.ad.blocker, has been removed from the Google Play Store.

REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of section 4.4 of the Developer Distribution Agreement.

After a regular review we have determined that your app interferes with or accesses another service or product in an unauthorized manner. This violates the provision of your agreement with Google referred to above.

All violations are tracked. Serious or repeated violations of any nature will result in the termination of your developer account, and investigation and possible termination of related Google accounts. If your account is terminated, payments will cease and Google may recover the proceeds of any past sales and/or the cost of any associated fees (such as chargebacks and transaction fees) from you.

If your developer account is still in good standing, you may revise and upload a new instance of the application that is compliant with the developer terms. Before uploading any new applications, please review the Developer Distribution Agreement and Content Policy.

If you feel we have made this determination in error, you can visit this Google Play Help Center article for additional information regarding this removal.

The Google Play Team
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/13...m-google-play/

You could probably also sideload the apk as long as someone has a copy of it. As of this moment, both adblocker and adaway don't show up in my Play Store any more. Have titanium backups of adaway just in case.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Just to add to the above. If you're on 4.1.2 and below and not rooted, you can install Adblock Plus to block ads. Get it from the following link:

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

It will not work on 4.2+ because Google changed the way network connections are made so Adblock can't work without root access.
The following users liked this post:
stogie1020 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn I wonder why andy rubin stepped down.

As long as Android is still good I'll be happy.
I know people are talking about unifying chrome and android... but I dont see this as any benefit for Android. Face it, Android OS is much much more thorough then chrome. Chrome OS would definitely benefit a lot. Especially if touch screen becomes the norm for the OS.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Samsung Galaxy S IV

So this looks pretty legit now:

IqDCW1n.jpg d0RDhpi.jpg
YE2wH56.jpg
8NcVLKA.jpg

4.99" Display 1080p
Exynos Octa Core at 1.8 GHz
PowerVR SGX 544 GPU
140mm x 71.8mm x 7.7mm
138g
Stainless steel border
2600 mAh battery (Note II has a 3100 and RAZR Maxx has a 3300 for reference)
Hover touch (Similar to the stylus hover on the Note II)
Source: http://mobile.it168.com/tu/1461878_1.shtml#1

Some Translation of the pics:
http://android.pandaapp.com/news/031...Come_out.shtml

Doesn't look as bad as the first leak. Its also pretty damn thin! 0.1 mm thicker than the iPhone 5. I guess they went with 5" to fit that 2600 mAh battery in there cause that's crazy. I wonder what kind of texture they used for the back cover and if that stainless steel is really true. Wish they went with software buttons but I guess they're trying to keep the Galaxy image in line which makes sense.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-13-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Suzuka Master

It looks exactly the same but just bigger and thinner. Wish they would be like HTC and actually try to produce some quality hardware.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Safety Car

I guess you also have to take into account that they marketed the crap out of the S III and the Note II so most people are familiar with what the design of the Galaxy phones "should" look like. Its more an evolution of design than a revolution. And if that stainless steel border is true, should make the feel of the phone better. They're practically emulating Apple at this point for better or worst. Its just ironic they made fun of the iPhone saying how would people know its newer when the 4S. Would be funny to see HTC make commercials making fun of Samsung with the S3 and S4 in that manner. For people who want it though, at least the battery is still replaceable and it looks like it still has an sd slot which most new phones are starting to omit nowadays.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

Can you check which APN you're on?

Settings --> More --> Mobile Networks --> Access Point Names

If you're on the correct LTE plan for AT&T, you should see an APN called ATT LTE pta.

Also, what phone did you upgrade your account from? AT&T has a variety of 4G/LTE plans apparently and if you're not on the correct data plan, you won't be able to use certain APNs until they correct it in their system. If you came from an old 3G/HSPA+ phone you're more likely going to be on their ATT HSPA+ phone APN.
You nailed it once again They had to manually roll me over to my grandfathered unlimited data plan on an iPhone 4. Now it says I have LTE but my speed test only came back at 6MBPS. Not sure how much LTE south FL really has via ATT.

BTW holy cow I love this Note 2. Android is very nice and a lot of "Damn why didn't iOS have that" I can't wait to really get into it but I'm running stock ROM for now just to learn. I already need to kill the whole YouTube app hating mobile phones thing and lack of Flash of course. In do time.

Oh and the phone doesn't feel huge since it's so late but I'm doing for a silicone rubber case like how I had on my iPhone so that I won't be scared to put it on a table and scratch the back. To Amazon!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

^So I'm assuming they transferred you to the unlimited LTE plan and put you on the correct APN which has pta as the server right? If so, you can check what network type you're connected to with AT&T by doing the following:

Settings --> About Phone --> Status

Under Mobile Network type it should read LTE if you're on an LTE network. The other types are HSDPA = HSPA+, UMTS = 3G, EDGE = 2G, GPRS.

If you're not connected to LTE then there are a few reasons: 1) You're not in an LTE area; 2) You're in an LTE area but the signal is so low its better to connect to HSPA+ or the other alternatives; 3) Your APN isn't on the pta set up and on the phone setup.

If you're on the pta APN already and are connecting fine then its most likely the first two reasons from above. Speed will vary depending on the area, time of day, and how congested it is. More people using the same LTE network at the same time = low speeds. You could ask AT&T what SoC code your data plan is on. It should be LTEDPPB for the LTE unlimited I believe. HSDPPB if you're on the 4G plan which won't connect to the pta server and will not get LTE speeds.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-14-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Goodbye.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSXy Luster:
is300eater (03-14-2013), speedemon90 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

LG is trolling Samsung hard. First they steal their designs 100%. Then yesterday they sent out press releases of the features Samsung is announcing today that's to be released in April:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/13/l...e-recognition/

Samsung knows how Apple is feeling now although LG's is more blatant.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

^So I'm assuming they transferred you to the unlimited LTE plan and put you on the correct APN which has pta as the server right? If so, you can check what network type you're connected to with AT&T by doing the following:

Settings --> About Phone --> Status

Under Mobile Network type it should read LTE if you're on an LTE network. The other types are HSDPA = HSPA+, UMTS = 3G, EDGE = 2G, GPRS.

If you're not connected to LTE then there are a few reasons: 1) You're not in an LTE area; 2) You're in an LTE area but the signal is so low its better to connect to HSPA+ or the other alternatives; 3) Your APN isn't on the pta set up and on the phone setup.

If you're on the pta APN already and are connecting fine then its most likely the first two reasons from above. Speed will vary depending on the area, time of day, and how congested it is. More people using the same LTE network at the same time = low speeds. You could ask AT&T what SoC code your data plan is on. It should be LTEDPPB for the LTE unlimited I believe. HSDPPB if you're on the 4G plan which won't connect to the pta server and will not get LTE speeds.
Says LTE:14. Didn't even know they had LTE Unlimited
Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
So whose excited for 4pm PST?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Goodbye.

LG is trolling Samsung hard. First they steal their designs 100%. Then yesterday they sent out press releases of the features Samsung is announcing today that's to be released in April:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/13/l...e-recognition/

Samsung knows how Apple is feeling now although LG's is more blatant.
And Samsung is copying LG's lockscreen animation/style with the GS4. Round and round it goes.... all good though since no crazy litigation so far, just good old fashioned one-upmanship.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
Says LTE:14. Didn't even know they had LTE Unlimited
Looks like you should be good then. LTE unlimited only applies to the people who were grandfathered into the unlimited plan. They also have a higher cap before they get throttled which is supposedly around 5 GB. This is also why the APN matters because to get that 5 GB cap, you need to be on the pta APN. If you're on the phone or wap.cingular APN, you get throttled at somewhere around 3 GB. Also the wap.cingular is for the older phones or phones not recognized to be a smartphone on AT&T's network so you can get away with the $10 or $15 unlimited MediaNet plan which is 3G/HSPA+.

Originally Posted by Mizouse
So whose excited for 4pm PST?
I think it'll be meh with a bit of Samsung awkwardness just like their other phone announcements. That kid in their YouTube promo will probably be there as well like they had that Zoll (2011) character in the previous announcement. The Chinese sites pretty much have everything shown off already and it actually looks pretty legit. I'm more interested in Key Lime Pie as all this reshuffling at Google sounds like they have something big planned ahead from their Project X.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Live Stream will be on YouTube btw:

There's already 15,000+ staring at a blank screen right now. Lol.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Goodbye.

All the Samsung reps at Times Square wearing those blue jackets remind me of/closely resembles the Microsoft Surface launch night.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

HTC suposedly handing out hot cocoa to people waiting for the event:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RosaGol...ts/DYXrARe4A78
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Goodbye.

Definitely interesting how Samsung allowed just about anybody to attend this event. Makes it more human/"typical user" friendly vs. just an entire room filled with press. 25% press, 70% random people/fans, 4% workers, 1% phantoms of the opera.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 03-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

I'm amazed at how much press this has gotten. This is almost the same hype as for iPhone launches. Even Google I/O events don't get this much coverage. I guess renting out Radio City Hall would kinda help in that regards as well. Samsung must've spent a lot of money just on that alone.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Goodbye.

Yeah, about 20% of their advertising budget hahaha. Hope it will be worth it for them.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA they got a live orchestra!!

They really did went all out for this.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 03-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Yeah that orchestra came out of nowhere. Lol. Wasn't expecting that at all.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Goodbye.

Hmm..... global LTE roaming would mean they managed to get a ton of antennas and hardware in there? Nice.

Too bad it still has a pentile display.

Also it really pains me to see Gingerbread stylings on a device today.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 03-14-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

^The screen looks pretty nice though. I don't think Pentile would be that big of a deal at that PPI. The S3 is Pentile and it looked pretty good at the lower PPI.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Goodbye.

Mmhmm...... yet everyone hated on pentile displays before Samsung did it. :p

Speaking of copying one another..... LG's dual camera/video feature seems really great on the S4.

SACREBLEU!
Samsung is doing what Apple does best... putting competitor's features into their phone but introducing it in a megalomaniac fashion so that people will believe that they invented it... except at a much faster pace.

The HTC One camera's features in the S4!

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 03-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Goodbye.

Takeaways:

1. Samsung has finally got this whole advertising thing down and completely outdone Apple at their own game.
2. Samsung knows the way to sell is to humanize everything.
3. Samsung has already started forking Android. Only time before no one knows what Android even is.
4. It would really help them sell more S4 phones if they had all those skits played on a loop at every store out there selling it.
5. Samsung is beginning to force their own ecosystem (rebranding and simplifying every app) out to everyone.

Phil Schiler aka Apple's marketing guy has to be eating crow right now(but he won't) because he said the S4 would be running on dated software of a year old...... yet the S4 is running 4.2.2

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 03-14-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

I wish they did away with the glossy. The phone would've been okay design wise without it. Still doesn't look like a premium product compared to the competition like the Z and One. I hope HTC opens up to the devs more this year. They are releasing an HTC One dev phone but would love it if they actually started releasing sources on time for once. Guess only device left to see is the X phone from Motorola at this point and see what KLP has in store.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

I wonder if eraser mode requires the object to be moving. If so, photobombers would need to stay still in the future. Lol.

http://youtu.be/hbjxK6GSJgc

Slashgear has a comparison with other devices on its site:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...s-on-14273962/

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-14-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
I keep getting this message when trying to go to Google Play, and I can't seem to update apps, anyone have a clue what's going on?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

You try removing your account and re-adding it? Also, if that doesn't work, clear the cache and data for the Play Store.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

So just caught up on the S4.

I dunno to me it seems like a lot of gimmicky stuff and a few nice additions.

First question, this is running 4.2.2, does that mean it has photosphere in the camera???

I hope it does. They added lots of nice features in the camera as well.

Other notable things I liked:
You can use it with gloves
IR Blaster
Mobeam - http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/41...ode-technology

and that seems to be about it.

Air view is stupid. The scrolling thing and pause thing is probably just as stupid. Smart stay is actually really useful, I take advantage of it all the time.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread