Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Anyone see the LTE tests for AT&T?

The results: AT&T’s network is impressively fast. With users in Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Chicago reporting speeds ranging from 15 Mbps to 65 Mbps. Of course, we expect the LTE network to get a little bogged down over time. There are only a handful of AT&T LTE users on the network right now. As more and more customers pick up 4G LTE phones, the speeds will likely decrease and then stabilize. Check out the gallery of SpeedTest results that we grabbed from the forums after the break.
http://briefmobile.com/how-fast-is-att-4g-lte-network

I know, there aren't that many people on it yet to tie it down but even at those speeds, you can't complain.
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Safety Car

So Galnet and lttldvl managed to integrate ICS onto MIUI for the Samsung Galaxy S (International, Captivate) and AT&T Galaxy S II. This is an initial release and isn't actually the ICS UI but the ICS framework being merged. More releases and fixes will be coming in but this is an awesome start. This brings in the RAM/memory management and some optimizations from ICS amongst other things. I'm still trying to figure out else it allows but you can probably read up in the threads below.

1.11.7 Changelog:

Network Modifications:

Improved Signal Strength over all supported devices
Fixes to prevent "No Service Bug" on certain I9100 handsets
Added a script to flash K14 modem on I9100
Correct management of 3G and 2G selections ( Error being on certain models that it wouldn’t work perviously )

Framework Modifications:

Correct management of ICS framework requirements
Fixed occastions where Android Process would crash (required reboot to resolve)
Power management fully implemented from ICS
Repair to Sensor management in Debug mode

UI Improvements

Improved 3D support throughout rom (All Devices)
Correct issues where lockscreen clock would randomly freeze (Defy)
Improved camera response (Shutter) speeds
4 Way Reboot Included
http://galnetmiui.co.uk/landing/ics-change-log/

Download for Captivate and international Galaxy S: http://galnetmiui.co.uk/landing/download/ics-builds/

Download for AT&T Galaxuy S II: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1335745

GalnetMIUI ICS running on a Samsung Captivate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSCJ6Kc5S4

Looks smooth. Benchmarks also seen in the the Galaxy S II thread and there's improvements all over the OS. Thinking of trying this out but might wait a few more releases. We'll see...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04

I know, there aren't that many people on it yet to tie it down but even at those speeds, you can't complain.
Wow. If the next iPhone isn't LTE I'm for sure going Android LTE. I just hope I can keep my unlimited data. And thanks for replying to my Nook post.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Safety Car

So apparently the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II and the HTC Amaze 4G both support AT&T 3G/"4G" bands even though it was never advertised. Just a heads up for people who were considering either phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=71

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&highlight=850
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
What would you say is the best T-mobile phone w/keyboard

G2 or mytouch 4g slide? Or is there any others??
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Thanks for posting that, though I'm disappointed that link doesn't compare it to Verizon's LTE speeds. I did find some numbers for Verizon 4G users, and they seem similar though the fastest I saw was some guy got 42 Mbps d/l.

Sort of related: Verizon doubles its LTE data plan limits

http://gigaom.com/mobile/leading-the...s-data-limits/

also, a page comparing AT&T and Verizon LTE

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=ltbmVaaG5K5

This just got a lot more complicated. I'm still debating over which carrier I want. Ideally I want the one with the cheapest data plan with the most flexible data caps. I don't care about minutes since I literally spend more time texting/messaging than I do calling people.

Now, if 4G ends up being ever faster than even Wi-Fi it probably is in almost every case, since I've heard from some people that it's faster than their wired internet at home. Itching to see how this all pans out, if AT&T's network stays fast or starts getting bogged down.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,257 Likes on 4,872 Posts
Nexus S-

I went back to Francos kernel. There is a tool on the market (link below) that can control all of Ezekeels mods (BLX, BLN, LiveOC, Voltage Control). So no more screwing with scripts to set everything

My Live OC is set to 110% (220mhz min, 1100mhz max) and this thing flies. My quadrant scores (though meaningless, everyone seems to post them) is in the 35-3700 range. Im using smartassV2 kernel. I had one freeze, but I was playing with the voltages and had to flash the recovery zip to reset the settings

I only flashed it last night, so I dont know how the battery will react, but based on performance it blows Matr1x out of the water - although Matr1x has been including some of Francos mods lately.

https://market.android.com/details?i...4ubnN0b29scyJd
Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by speedemon90
What would you say is the best T-mobile phone w/keyboard

G2 or mytouch 4g slide? Or is there any others??
I'd say the MT4G slide but only slightly. The G2 was having some issues with the keyboard not staying in place when flipped upside down so that might be a big issue for some people. The G2 has Cyanogenmod which is a plus but LG is slow to update so not sure what their future outlook is when it comes to that. The MT4G Slide CM7 is probably in the works and since HTC likes to share its part amongst its phones, you'll most likely see an unofficial update for it in the future. Also, the MT4G Slide has a FFC while the G2 doesn't.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-09-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
This just got a lot more complicated. I'm still debating over which carrier I want. Ideally I want the one with the cheapest data plan with the most flexible data caps. I don't care about minutes since I literally spend more time texting/messaging than I do calling people.

Now, if 4G ends up being ever faster than even Wi-Fi it probably is in almost every case, since I've heard from some people that it's faster than their wired internet at home. Itching to see how this all pans out, if AT&T's network stays fast or starts getting bogged down.
Well, AT&T's LTE market is very small right now. They don't plan to have it widespread until 2013 at the earliest and that probably won't cover all of the US, just the major markets. So if you don't fall in the major cities where they plan to have them ready, the decision probably won't be hard to make. What bothers me the most with all carriers is the cap they're placing on data usage. What's the point of having fast data if you can't even use it? It makes no sense. Hopefully, they'll just get rid of voice and text plans and make them all unlimited and just charge for data since that's where all their costs are at the moment.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

For the people who haven't rooted and installed the unofficaily Epic 4G updates, the Official Epic 4G Gingerbread update is supposedly rolling out today. Might want to check your phone for updates or XDA for a link once they get a hold of it.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/comm...nance-releases
Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
so flash for mobile devices is dead?

dang it there goes all the websites I goto...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mizouse
so flash for mobile devices is dead?

dang it there goes all the websites I goto...
Technically, Flash will still be there. Adobe just won't be making new Flash updates. They also claim that they'll patch security problems as needed. Flash is baked into Chrome nowadays, so Google will probably continue to patch it as they do now, sometimes way ahead before Adobe does. Now is the time for companies to start making the transition to HTML5 and/or whatever other alternative (Adobe AIR) there are since HTML5 can't do everything that Flash can at the moment.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

So after how many months, I finally got my broken Galaxy S back (internal SD Card got borked). Unfortunately, Samsung refused to fix it again so I sent it to Canada and waited all these months for nothing. Thanks Samsung!

On the bright side, I was able to sorta fix the phone by using the USB jig trick with the external SD Card as my main storage. (One more reason why an external card is worth having on devices like these.) Using the vold.fstab trick, you can actually point Android to use the external storage card as the main storage instead of the internal storage. This is built into Cyanogenmod as well but also very useful for devices that have very small internal SD Card spaces. Everything works perfectly besides the internal SD Card being gone. I'm limited to the size of my external SD Card which isn't all that bad considering Android can recognize up to 64 GB and it feels actually faster maybe cause I have a Class 10 in there. But now I know how it feels to have a device without expandable storage. lol.

So now that I have two Galaxy S devices again, I decided to flash the ICS port on to the "broken" one. I have to say, for an alpha, its pretty smooth. WiFi sorta works (have to insmod it manually), phone calls and data work. Hardware acceleration and GPU drivers aren't working yet but the devs are working on it. Colors are messed up but thats also due to the GPU drivers again. Besides that though, everything is running smooth like butter. I can only imagine what it'd be like with Hardware acceleration enabled.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 PM

Well, AT&T's LTE market is very small right now. They don't plan to have it widespread until 2013 at the earliest and that probably won't cover all of the US, just the major markets. So if you don't fall in the major cities where they plan to have them ready, the decision probably won't be hard to make. What bothers me the most with all carriers is the cap they're placing on data usage. What's the point of having fast data if you can't even use it? It makes no sense. Hopefully, they'll just get rid of voice and text plans and make them all unlimited and just charge for data since that's where all their costs are at the moment.
My concern is if AT&T does end up merging with T-Mobile, that grants them T-Mo's HSUPA network. I still don't exactly understand all that terminology but all I know is it basically HSUPA's speeds are considered "4G", if I'm understanding correctly.

The data caps piss me off as well, considering 4G appears to be even faster than a good amount of wired broadband connections. The only reason to use Wi-Fi is because its free, and now it'll be considered "slow"?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
My concern is if AT&T does end up merging with T-Mobile, that grants them T-Mo's HSUPA network. I still don't exactly understand all that terminology but all I know is it basically HSUPA's speeds are considered "4G", if I'm understanding correctly.

The data caps piss me off as well, considering 4G appears to be even faster than a good amount of wired broadband connections. The only reason to use Wi-Fi is because its free, and now it'll be considered "slow"?
If (that's a very big if) AT&T does merge with T-Mobile, they will get T-Mobiles "4G" towers. However, T-Mobile's "4G" =/= LTE speeds and it will never reach LTE speeds because its a suped up 3G being marketed as 4G and doesn't have the backbone to support LTE speeds. With the terminology of "4G" these days, they can get away with calling it 4G. The reason AT&T wants T-Mobile's towers is so that they get a head start with their "4G" implementation which is seriously lacking at the moment while they transition into LTE. It will lessen the image of the competition having this big gap in speeds between AT&T's HSPA+ and the competition's LTE speeds which is quite significant. Also, the AT&T and T-Mobile merger has a very slim chance of happening with the DOJ attempting to block the merge. The DOJ has never lost a case that they ever get involved with...

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-11-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Costco (11-11-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Safety Car

So I decided to flash Galnet's MIUI Ice Cream Sandwich and wow this thing is fast. Its faster than Cyanogenmod at this stage! I'm not sure if its due to the ICS framework or something else but its fast. Makes my phone feel brand new.

http://youtu.be/qR9lPzseYV0

Links for downloads: http://galnetmiui.co.uk/landing/ics-builds/
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
So who has LTE? Just Verizon. But is LTE true 4G?

I have to break it to my friend that his faster EVO datawise on T-Mo than my ATT 3G iPhone 4 is just HSPA+ equivalent then. He thought he had for real 4G.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878

I have to break it to my friend that his faster EVO datawise on T-Mo than my ATT 3G iPhone 4 is just HSPA+ equivalent then. He thought he had for real 4G.
LTE is 4G and is the stronger technology. Basically LTE>*
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878

Verizon (currently has the most) and in some markets, AT&T, are the only ones that really have LTE at the moment. And yes, LTE is true 4G by definition. It has the capability of hitting the true 100 Mbps that defines true 4G because of the backhaul capability provided by the tech. Will they ever hit 100 Mbps? With current tech, probably not because of network congestion and other things. As the years go by though, the speed should get faster/stabilize as more towers get deployed to spread out the work load. Sprint's WIMAX was an alternative to LTE but unfortunately will never reach LTE speeds ever as it doesn't have the same backhaul for it like LTE does and apparently costs more which is why Sprint is dropping it. AT&T's LTE is starting to roll out but they started late making people wonder what they did with all the revenue they were getting.
Doom878 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM

If (that's a very big if) AT&T does merge with T-Mobile, they will get T-Mobiles "4G" towers. However, T-Mobile's "4G" =/= LTE speeds and it will never reach LTE speeds because its a suped up 3G being marketed as 4G and doesn't have the backbone to support LTE speeds. With the terminology of "4G" these days, they can get away with calling it 4G. The reason AT&T wants T-Mobile's towers is so that they get a head start with their "4G" implementation which is seriously lacking at the moment while they transition into LTE. It will lessen the image of the competition having this big gap in speeds between AT&T's HSPA+ and the competition's LTE speeds which is quite significant. Also, the AT&T and T-Mobile merger has a very slim chance of happening with the DOJ attempting to block the merge. The DOJ has never lost a case that they ever get involved with...
thanks for the clarification. I learn so much in these mobile phone threads. The technology just jumps ahead so quickly.

Computers advance so much in a year as is already.... mobile devices are an entirely different thing.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey yall...since I rooted my Nexus S... my texts are mostly screwed up... a buncha stupid symbols... doesn't matter if I use the regular or handsent text systems... this really six... any ideas?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM

What rom and did you do a wipe before you flashed it?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
What rom and did you do a wipe before you flashed it?
I still have the ROM it came with... and I did wipe... maybe I need to go back and wipe again?

I haven't dropped a new ROM b/c of this problem...

I have been always been a huge txt zombie....
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Verizon (currently has the most) and in some markets, AT&T, are the only ones that really have LTE at the moment. And yes, LTE is true 4G by definition. It has the capability of hitting the true 100 Mbps that defines true 4G because of the backhaul capability provided by the tech. Will they ever hit 100 Mbps? With current tech, probably not because of network congestion and other things. As the years go by though, the speed should get faster/stabilize as more towers get deployed to spread out the work load. Sprint's WIMAX was an alternative to LTE but unfortunately will never reach LTE speeds ever as it doesn't have the same backhaul for it like LTE does and apparently costs more which is why Sprint is dropping it. AT&T's LTE is starting to roll out but they started late making people wonder what they did with all the revenue they were getting.
So what the devil is Sprint running their iPhones' data stream on?

I am confused.... yeah.. like thats such a new isssue... LMSBO
Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,247 Likes on 6,212 Posts
Well so much for that!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BwfYSR7HttA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Whoever thought that feature was a real form of security is an idiot. Its simply a convenience, yet its still probably quicker just to slide the unlock tab over.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 AM

That's lame. But my first thought is if you hypothetically left it somewhere in a random bar or restaurant and it was stolen, there'd be no way they could unlock using your face unless they actually had a picture of your face.

If it's someone you know that steals it and thus has access to your face/pictures..... well, find new friends
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Quickoffice Pro is FREE today on amazon App Store!!

$14.99 Value
Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the heads up!

One thing I like about being stock is the battery life. My phone barely loses any power when idling for a while.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

ICS source is coming to AOSP! CM9 and all the other custom ICS ROMs should start coming out soon after. This probably also means the Galaxy Nexus is about ready to be released.

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...e01b4619a1455a
Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Oh also for the ASUS Transformer users who have B7O and up serial numbers, they finally released a one-click-root for it. Install the APK and just click to root. Can't get any simpler than that.

http://androidroot.mobi/2011/11/14/i...-razorclaw-v1/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1345049

You need to be on the latest ASUS update, 8.6.5.19 because it uses the Backup app that ASUS included for it to work. This should technically work for the new Transformer Prime as well but can't be confirmed until they get a hold of a device.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Thanks for the heads up!

One thing I like about being stock is the battery life. My phone barely loses any power when idling for a while.
If you go back to a modded rom, I suggest flashed Francos kernel and using NSTools (on market). I have damn near everything turned on and overnight my battery drains maybe 8%. As stated in the past, I do have the extended battery, but I get well over 40hrs on a charge, and thats only down to about 10% battery. If I go all the way until the phone turns off, its about 50hrs.

ICS source is coming to AOSP! CM9 and all the other custom ICS ROMs should start coming out soon after. This probably also means the Galaxy Nexus is about ready to be released.

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...e01b4619a1455a
Cant wait!

I finally got around to rooting my brothers Sensation. Sooooo many steps That is why I like Nexus phones.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here comes CM9!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

Cyanogen has spoken:

..and we're off. check back in 2 months #cm9 #ics
https://twitter.com/#!/cyanogen/stat...13427248431104

CM9 waiting game begins. Hopefully, those drivers from the manufacturers start rolling out to speed things up.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 AM

2 months
Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

2 months
That 2 months is probably referring to stable builds. Nightlies will probably come out earlier than that. I think the average time it takes to have a stable/RC build is around 3 months. It'll really depend on which manufacturers will have their drivers ported for ICS and what not. Since the Nexus S is going to get an officialy ICS update, a lot of stuff can be used from that official build to speed things up for that phone and all the other phones that use the same components (original Galaxy S line).
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

2 months
go stock for ICS, should get it quicker
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM

That 2 months is probably referring to stable builds. Nightlies will probably come out earlier than that. I think the average time it takes to have a stable/RC build is around 3 months. It'll really depend on which manufacturers will have their drivers ported for ICS and what not. Since the Nexus S is going to get an officialy ICS update, a lot of stuff can be used from that official build to speed things up for that phone and all the other phones that use the same components (original Galaxy S line).
True. I forgot about the NS getting an official update.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

Adobe just released their suite of apps today in the market that include Photoshop and a few others. Kinda wanna try Photoshop on my Transformer except my gf has it at the moment (Also work on the phones as well):

http://youtu.be/w7P09raPIHQ
http://youtu.be/ZrweeLViwjo
http://youtu.be/F7-NKmk8uic
http://youtu.be/4vCKeknE0bg
http://youtu.be/SVOegQdrdw0
http://youtu.be/68Sfnc3ZtcU

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11...ble-than-ever/
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Netflix also just upgraded their interface on Honeycomb tablets:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/n...ndroid-tablet/