Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Yes, I own Sony...I made Sony. So, I have a personal attachment to a brand that if anyone dares to criticize it, it's cause for war.
I have a sony laptop which I love.

But I'm not a fan of their tablets/phones... lol

they are jumping on the android ship, I dunno about their tabs though.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,942 Likes on 14,058 Posts
^ Let me be clear: I have a bias towards Sony because well, I like anything Japanese. Plain and simple.

However, I will not blindly purchase something just because it is Sony.

None of my TVs are by Sony and I still have various electronic and audio devices not by Sony either.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

You have a weird love from sony...

what do you like from them?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
You have a weird love from sony...

what do you like from them?

You tell me. What you guys get on here is more just over-the-top antics. I like Sony products because I think they look nice aesthetically...But, otherwise, as I said, I don't blindly purchase their products because they have the Sony logo on it.

Most of my recent discussion (well, more like sarcasm) on here involving them have been computer-related because that's what I use daily currently (own an all-in-one L-Series and Z-Laptop with SSD and i7 Processor).

I've maintained they have a solid product for a fair price (less than Apple's offerings) and get rebuked.

And oh, I own an Alpha 550 camera (which was free from reward points) and a PS3. And recall how the there was a PS3-sucks sentiment when it launched by the 360 devotees...

The perception that I "love" Sony is more from the Apple guys because that's their comeback usually against me.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
virtous unity is definitely stable. the latest iteration is definitely a good choice. most of my issues were with the radio, i think i have finally found a reliable one.

12.52.60.25_26.08.04.30 (radio)

im running the stock kernel for virtous and the automatic overclocking is super fast and very reliable.

battery life is about 20-25 hrs
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
.....your phone is lying to you

I'm gonna switch to this kernel later

edit: wait you have the bigger battery though right?
I flashed N234 last night along with the Matr1x v9.5 kernel. I also bumped my voltages up by 15 across the board. It seems to be running well. But once I figure out all this LiveOC stuff Im switching back to Francos kernel. It ran smoother.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha

You tell me. What you guys get on here is more just over-the-top antics. I like Sony products because I think they look nice aesthetically...But, otherwise, as I said, I don't blindly purchase their products because they have the Sony logo on it.

Most of my recent discussion (well, more like sarcasm) on here involving them have been computer-related because that's what I use daily currently (own an all-in-one L-Series and Z-Laptop with SSD and i7 Processor).

I've maintained they have a solid product for a fair price (less than Apple's offerings) and get rebuked.

And oh, I own an Alpha 550 camera (which was free from reward points) and a PS3. And recall how the there was a PS3-sucks sentiment when it launched by the 360 devotees...

The perception that I "love" Sony is more from the Apple guys because that's their comeback usually against me.
I have Sony 42" Plasma, PS3, Sony receiver, Sony T200 camera, I even have a Sony Clock radio/Ipod player ROFL. I would agree with most that the Koreans have caught up or even surpassed the Japanese electronic products but I've always liked Sony.

I had a 11" Sony Vaio that I accidentally sat on during a flight to Chitown (blame it on the Ambien) that was fantastic.

My next TV will prolly be a Sammy or Panasonic though.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

I love my Samsung tv.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
T-Mobile Nexus S running ICS SDK:

http://youtu.be/yN_nTMOWock

It actually doesn't look bad for not having all the optimizations/drivers. Anyone try it yet? Wish someone would make it for the Galaxy S.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM

I thought about trying it but Im just going to wait for the CM team to do it. In the mean time Im just running the theme
Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol Yumcha, I got to agree with you on the laptops and well the fact that sony is aesthetically pleasing. They are also quite reliable with my experience. My laptop recently started experiencing problems but thats because it was getting overheated from my roommate playin sc2 on my computer... I dont let him play anymore. It was reaching temps of 95 degrees Celsius! And he played a lot!

I dont wanna try ICS on my phone yet just because its not fully functional.

Did you hear, N1 people were denied ICS... damn

I tried my google wallet the other day at Rite Aid, and it worked
using a NS on tmobile
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,816 Likes on 6,570 Posts
Way to go Android you fuckin suck! Your updates are an absolute joke! Thanks for only one year of updates!

If you're still clinging fast to Google's first ever Nexus device, now might be the time to start eyeing an upgrade. While the search giant's solidly confirmed an Ice Cream Sandwich destiny for owners of its penultimate Android flagship, the Nexus S, the same cannot be said for its HTC-made progenitor. It's not as though Mountain View's lost any love for its game-changing dev phone, rather that handset's 2010 guts just aren't up to snuff for the 4.0 polish. Besides, there are plenty of other more attractive and able-bodied smartphones to help you through the mourning process.
I'll be encouraging my brother to not get an android phone for his next device. Not that that will be hard he's been very let down by the Nexus one. Non stop bugs to this day, his keyboard crashes all the time, he has issues with photo gallery and the camera apps not wanting to open, it's been one thing after the other. I pushed him to get the Nexus One and was very excited when he got it and then it was all down hill from there. The 3GS that came out in 2009 got iOS 5 so the N1 should've gotten ICS. You suck ass.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/n...al-relic-of-a/
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Way to go Android you fuckin suck! Your updates are an absolute joke! Thanks for only one year of updates!

I'll be encouraging my brother to not get an android phone for his next device. Not that that will be hard he's been very let down by the Nexus one. Non stop bugs to this day, his keyboard crashes all the time, he has issues with photo gallery and the camera apps not wanting to open, it's been one thing after the other. I pushed him to get the Nexus One and was very excited when he got it and then it was all down hill from there. The 3GS that came out in 2009 got iOS 5 so the N1 should've gotten ICS. You suck ass.

you are an idiot.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSXy Luster:
civicdrivr (10-27-2011), eccjak (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Like my Iphone 3G got any of the good features from iOS4...
Not to mention the phone was horribly slow
I went back to 3.x immediately.

Newest software usually requrires a certain level of hardware

Now stop your bitching, apple does the same thing in a not so obvious way
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

They at least released ios 4 without some of the features they didn't drop it all together. The n1 is much more powerful than the 3G or 3GS, it's got 1ghz and 512mb ram, the 3GS is 600mhz and 256mb ram and it got ios 5. Shit the n1 has a faster processor than the iPhone 4! If it can't handle it then take some features away don't drop it all together.

If google's "super phone" nexus one can't get it then think of all the other phones that won't be getting it either, it was the most powerful phone for a while after it was released. All those cheap ass phones that came with android that the majority of android users bought wont be getting it either only elite phones qualify. For example the Samsung galaxy line that has the same specs as the n1 probably won't qualify either, that's a lot of users left out only one year later....

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-26-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
They at least released ios 4 without some of the features they didn't drop it all together. The n1 is much more powerful than the 3G or 3GS, it's got 1ghz and 512mb ram, the 3GS is 600mhz and 256mb ram and it got ios 5. Shit the n1 has a faster processor than the iPhone 4! If it can't handle it then take some features away don't drop it all together.

If google's "super phone" nexus one can't get it then think of all the other phones that won't be getting it either, it was the most powerful phone for a while after it was released. All those cheap ass phones that came with android that the majority of android users bought wont be getting it either only elite phones qualify. For example the Samsung galaxy line that has the same specs as the n1 probably won't qualify either, that's a lot of users left out only one year later....
Meh, Android released an update that requires more powerful hardware. I see that as a good thing. If your bro bought the N1 when it came out, he should be due for an update soon. If he bought if at a later point, maybe you shouldn't have advised him to buy an older device.

And by the way, I'm a N1 owner.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The first iPhone got ios 1.x, 2.x and 3.x. The 3G got 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x. The 3GS got 3.x, 4.x and 5.x. The all got one major iOS update after the 2 year contract was up, why can't google do the same thing. That's my point the super phone n1 should should get at least one major update out of contract.

You really think any of the phones that came out in 2010 are going to get ics? The evo 4g, galaxy line, droid 2, droid incredible,etc all have the same CPU and ram specs if not worse than the nexus one so if it isn't getting it then they aren't either
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Like I said, most people with 3G's didnt upgrade to iOS4 till a lot later when apple fixed bug issues. It just lagged so much on iOS4.

But I do see your point, I think it should be capable of getting it hardware wise. It may be a 1GHz processor but numbers dont always tell the whole story. Look at your iphone for instance. Iphone 4 can run faster than most of the early dual core phones out there.

Google shouldn't have to worry to much anyways, most people who own smartphones dont keep their phone for two years anyway, and they will only upset a small number of people like you
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

one more thing to note, you have to understand that unlike apple google has the huge task of making their OS work on a number of different devices.

So ICS probably has a list of requirements, which in a way is google telling companies stop putting android on crappy devices, which brings a bad name for itself.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

People are saying the internal storage (HTC really screwed up here as people run out of room in stock builds which prompted Cyanogenmod and team to implement A2SD which was later pushed into Gingerbread) and the GPU of the Nexus One, amongst other things (multitouch screen), are the real reason Google won't update it to ICS. Its not that the phone can't get ICS, it just won't run optimally. Think of it in the same way that the iPhone 3G got the iOS 4 update. Most of the people that purchased the Nexus One are devs so it'll probably only concern a few people like your brother who haven't rooted yet and slapped a custom ROM onto it. (Its pretty simple to do on a Nexus device, by the way.) Its the same reason the original G1 and MT3G couldn't get Eclair onwards. Of course, XDA devs said otherwise and I'm currently running Gingerbread on my HTC Ion at the moment. It runs but it doesn't mean it works the best. I'm actually thinking of downgrading it back to Donut so that its more usable. Would like to see if ICS would help though with the GPU acceleration but I doubt it as it is really limited by the RAM.

With that said, the XDA devs will definitely get ICS on the Nexus One as they're already working on it and almost have it running. They'll probably have to resize the internal storage partition the same way they did the G1, MT3G, and HTC Desire to get Gingerbread. This method isn't easily feasible with an OTA upgrade and it can brick the device if not done properly as you start playing with the SPL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPeT-ZUbBw

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Safety Car

So apparently, the Galaxy Nexus will be a Verizon exclusive for the time being.

Here's Android Central's take on the subject and they've been spot on everything regarding the device so far:

1. If Verizon indeed does have exclusivity on the Galaxy Nexus, it's only in the United States. The rest of the world (mostly) uses GSM-type phones, with different radio frequencies than Verizon. That goes for its 2G, 3G and 4G LTE radios. It's ridiciulous to think the Galaxy Nexus will only be released in the United States, and only on Verizon. It just ain't gonna happen.

2. We know there are non-Verizon versions -- ie GSM -- of the Galaxy Nexus out there. It's what Google and Samsung demoed in Hong Kong last week. It's what's in every early hands-on you've seen. Those are not Verizon exclusives. And European carriers have announced they're carrying the Galaxy Nexus. So, yeah. We're not talking a global exclusivity here. Simmer down.

3. Even if Verizon does have an initial U.S. exclusivity on the Galaxy Nexus, that doesn't mean you can't get one that will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. The radio bands listed in the official specs sheet include 850/900/1900/1700/2100 MHz for 3G data. That covers models that will work on AT&T or T-Mobile.

4. Now does that mean we'll see "official" releases here in the States? Not necessarily. But it's easy enough to import them, though that does mean you won't get any carrier subsidies. Full price it is.

5. If history repeats itself, we'll see specific versions for other U.S. carriers at some point. Probably not as soon as we'd like -- and a Sprint version gets a little more interesting when you consider its upcoming switch to LTE -- but at some point we'll likely see more. So maybe Verizon has an "exclusive" -- but for how long? We just don't know.

6. It's entirely possible this is one big misunderstanding, and it's just Verizon being Verizon and saying that any phone on Verizon is exclusively on Verizon. We're not going to bet the farm on it, but stranger things have happened. Repeatedly.
Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...t-exactly-true

I was hoping it would come out with GSM versions not too long after Verizon's but none of the carriers are saying anything. Might have to settle for the S II after all, not that its a bad thing.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM

The Nexus one got two years of updates. It came out '09. Not last year, that was the Nexus S, which is getting ICS.

And as CG said, the devs on XDA will get ICS running on it. Im sure the amount of people that have rooted the N1 and put custom ROMs on it far outweigh the amount of people that run it stock, so its really a moot point.

And do you really think the people that bought low-end Android phones give a shit about ICS or rooting? $10 says they don't even know what it is.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 10-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

All this debate...over a cellphone.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

No it came out 2010

The Nexus One (codenamed HTC Passion)[8] was Google's flagship smartphone manufactured by Taiwan's HTC Corporation. It became available on January 5, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_One

and yes I do think people care about updates on their phone, everyone with an iPhone updates very quickly after an update comes out.

But I guess you guys are used to it, it's pretty much par for the course

Tracking 18 different Android phones shipped in the U.S. through the middle of 2010, the Understatement's Michael Degusta found that most have not received major OS upgrades or even minor support patches, even though they're still under contract.
Pointing to one example, Degusta said that the Samsung Behold II on T-Mobile was supposed to be upgraded to Eclair, aka Android 2.1. But by the time the phone hit the market, it was already two versions behind, and then Samsung never bothered to upgrade it.
As another example, the Motorola Devour on Verizon was already one version behind on the OS when it debuted in early 2010. Less than a year later, it was three major versions behind.
Breaking down his study, Degusta uncovered several specific items:

7 of the 18 Android phones tracked never ran a current version of the operating system.
12 of 18 only ran a current version of the OS for a matter of weeks or less.
10 of 18 were at least two major versions behind within their two-year contract.
11 of 18 stopped getting any support updates less than a year after release.
13 of 18 stopped getting support updates before sales were halted or shortly thereafter.
15 of the 18 don't run Gingerbread, which shipped in December 2010.

With the debut of Ice Cream Sandwich, every device tracked will be another major version behind.

At least 16 of 18 will almost certainly never get Ice Cream Sandwich.
Beyond not receving a recent version of the Android OS, many phones are also missing out on support updates, especially those that have been discontinued. That leaves such phones vulnerable if a security or privacy issue hits an older version of Android, contends Degusta.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-201...-study-claims/
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
My Garage

Blame the carriers or hardware manufacturers for that, not Android.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

No it came out 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_One

and yes I do think people care about updates on their phone, everyone with an iPhone updates very quickly after an update comes out.

But I guess you guys are used to it, it's pretty much par for the course

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-201...-study-claims/

I dunno, dude. Different behaviors by different user-types. I would like to think Apple users tend to fall in the group you're describing at jumping at any updates that come from the mothership...

But, if I were to put an analogy to that, it'd be like me going out to get the latest version of Windows, Office, Firefox, Chrome, etc. etc. etc. the minute it launches.

Personally, as neat as updates are, I have a preference to let it mature a bit before adopting it. Guess what: I have an iPhone now for work and I'm not on iOS5!

You make it seem like it is a flaw for people to not sprint to the latest update...To me, I think it's not that entirely necessary. It's more a culture/behavior Apple likes to cultivate with anything they have that is new.

What other manufacturer can get the masses to LINE UP OVERNIGHT for a tech toy that becomes obsolete the minute it is in their hands...?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
And ...don't blame Google. It's more the carriers and hardware manufacturers than anything else.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Nope, I blame android for allowing them to have that control and customize it in way that adds little to no value and drastically slows down or stops the update process. It's not happening on windows phone and they have a variety of carriers and devices and a few weeks ago they released Mango to all devices all at once (well despite a slight roll out over a couple weeks). All phone are eligible and the OEMs and Carriers didn't delay the update. The carriers have never stopped an iOS update from coming out. It's Google's fault for implementing this shitty system.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Is the iPhone not like the iPod where whenever you plug it into your computer (and use that stupid ass bloatware called iTunes) it comes up with a prompt saying there is a new update requiring you to sit there for 30 damn minutes while it loads?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Whether the user wants the update or not it should fuckin be there, Apple and Microsoft don't have this problem so neither should google.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
My Garage

Nope, I blame android for allowing them to have that control and customize it in way that adds little to no value and drastically slows down or stops the update process. It's not happening on windows phone and they have a variety of carriers and devices and a few weeks ago they released Mango to all devices all at once (well despite a slight roll out over a couple weeks). All phone are eligible and the OEMs and Carriers didn't delay the update. The carriers have never stopped an iOS update from coming out. It's Google's fault for implementing this shitty system.
So we are against open source now?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Is the iPhone not like the iPod where whenever you plug it into your computer (and use that stupid ass bloatware called iTunes) it comes up with a prompt saying there is a new update requiring you to sit there for 30 damn minutes while it loads?
Used to be that way (I probably hate iTunes more than you!) but now with iOS 5 there's OTA delta updates and you never have to plug in your iPhone to a computer again, not even for setup. Though it should've been that way all along.
Senior Moderator

Um...hello: welcome to the process flow of open source?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow, #1 STUNNA...no offense, you're really reaching.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

No I'm against shitty user experience, devices not getting updates leaving them exposed to security threats that were patched long ago and OEMs going against the industry norm of supporting your device for two if not three years after release and not telling their customers to screw off by leaving them outdated and exposed to patched security threats.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Used to be that way (I probably hate iTunes more than you!) but now with iOS 5 there's OTA delta updates and you never have to plug in your iPhone to a computer again, not even for setup. Though it should've been that way all along.
They started doing that in iOS5? Wow. Android has been doing OTA updates since day one.

I wonder how long it takes Apple to patent that idea, say they were first, and try to stifle the competition further.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe it's just me...maybe I'm just...complacent...but, I don't AT ALL feel the Android experience is, to quote, "shitty".

I still fail to see where the OS is failing me.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
My Garage

No I'm against shitty user experience, devices not getting updates leaving them exposed to security threats that were patched long ago and OEMs going against the industry norm of supporting your device for two if not three years after release and not telling their customers to screw off by leaving them outdated and exposed to patched security threats.
Just because devices don't receive latest Android versions doesn't mean they don't get updates. Updates are issued pretty frequently to individual devices, plugging security holes and fixing bugs. Just because they are not getting 4.0 doesn't mean they are being completely ignored.

I don't know what this shitty user experience you're taking about is. I did have an iPhone though and grids of apps didn't really do much for me.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Just because devices don't receive latest Android versions doesn't mean they don't get updates. Updates are issued pretty frequently to individual devices, plugging security holes and fixing bugs. Just because they are not getting 4.0 doesn't mean they are being completely ignored.

I don't know what this shitty user experience you're taking about is. I did have an iPhone though and grids of apps didn't really do much for me.
This.

Nor did going through three iPhone 3Gs due to mystical water damage, even though they were never near water. And having to pay to replace the phone each time. Fun stuff. But its Apple. All hail Apple, for they can do no wrong.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread