Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I always tell people, if you are a Google person who uses Google services, get Android. If not, get Apple.

Rick is a Google guy, he should get Android.
while I would agree, it would be stupid for google to make their services only work on android devices.

Originally Posted by speedemon90
it doesnt work backwards though? Right?

If you put something on the calendar app of your iphone, does it show up on the google calendar of your desktop? I thought it was more of a one way thing.
AFAIK it works both ways

http://www.google.com/intl/en/mobile/sync/

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...?answer=139206

With Google Sync enabled, you can do the following actions in Google Calendar using your iOS Calendar app:

Create events and edit event details.
Respond to meeting requests and update your attendee status.
Change your Alert Reminder Time, e.g. "30 minutes before".
See your list of pending invitations.
When you’re invited to an event, it shows up as a ghosted entry in your calendar. If you choose Accept or Maybe, it changes to solid, and if you Decline, the event is removed.
Additional features:

A popup appears on your device when you’re invited to a meeting. Pressing View Event allows you to see the event details and respond to the invitation.
To turn off this popup, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > New Invitations Alert and turn off the popup.
When viewing meeting invitations in your iOS Mail app, the calendar icon at the bottom lets you view the event and update your attendee status.
The badge on the Calendar app icon on your home screen updates with the number of pending invitations.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Romain Guy just posted the video of the time lapse shots that was presented last night from the Galaxy Nexus. For the people who are still worried about camera check it out in full 1080p format:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11196207...ts/EJxn8T21H5o
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
^ jaw drops... wow!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just realized how helpful the "request desktop version" feature of the new browser may be helpful for Hulu.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,942 Likes on 14,058 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Next person to post anything iPhone in this thread gets banned.

Wanna punt Miz to orbit? He's trying to sway one of us to getting an i[Bleep]...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,942 Likes on 14,058 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Romain Guy just posted the video of the time lapse shots that was presented last night from the Galaxy Nexus. For the people who are still worried about camera check it out in full 1080p format:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11196207...ts/EJxn8T21H5o
But, naturally, the product sucks because well, there's no fruit logo.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
But, naturally, the product sucks because well, there's no fruit logo.

what would you do if a zonda/aston came dressed up with apple products?? And there was no way to get rid of them, and someone handed you the keys to it. Would you die?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
That no lag camera on the galaxy nexus is pretty sweet. Is that ICS that does that or the hardware?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
That no lag camera on the galaxy nexus is pretty sweet. Is that ICS that does that or the hardware?
Hardware.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I always tell people, if you are a Google person who uses Google services, get Android. If not, get Apple.

Rick is a Google guy, he should get Android.
Lmao Gibson thats exactly what one of my boys said. Oh yeah he went from the 4 to the 4s and is a hardcore fanboi.

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Next person to post anything iPhone in this thread gets banned.

My b. I trust the opinions on this thread much more than the "other" thread. Cough sarlacc, mizouse cough.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Last time, I wonder how many of us had iphones. I did, I like my NS better that iOS. But I'll admit things about iOS were better than android.

Also I'll say this, a lot of android phones I've seen that my friends have had, I dont like. I'd rather have an iPhone over them. Only particular, mainly the top android phones, can best the iPhone for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Last time, I wonder how many of us had iphones. I did, I like my NS better that iOS. But I'll admit things about iOS were better than android.

Also I'll say this, a lot of android phones I've seen that my friends have had, I dont like. I'd rather have an iPhone over them. Only particular, mainly the top android phones, can best the iPhone for me.
The iPhone only comes with high end hardware, it's annoying when people compare the iPhone to a low end Android phone like the LG Ally and say that all Android phones suck. You can get Android in a cheap phone but it's not a real comparison.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Galaxy S II HD LTE:

http://translate.google.com/translat...leh.com%2F1054

Any one speak Korean and want to do a better translation? lol. Looks like this is what the Galaxy Nexus should've been sans the buttons.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

If anyone is still interested, the Droid RAZR is gonna have the same CPU as the Galaxy Nexus. TI OMAP 4460 and Motorola is saying they'll get ICS on it early 2012.

As expected, the newly announced Motorola DROID RAZR has the exact same OMAP4460 processor clocked at 1.2GHz that you were all treated to in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus last night. It may not be clocked at 1.5GHz like some of its competitors, but as Texas Instruments has said, it’s not all about brute force and sometimes sophistication makes for a better experience. Take that to mean whatever you want – what we know is that Google chose this platform over Samsung’s Exynos, NVIDIA’s Tegra 3, and Qualcomm’s S3, so it must be doing something right.
Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/19...sor-confirmed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGyp6...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Sz3...layer_embedded
Old 10-20-2011, 03:22 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
Lmao Gibson thats exactly what one of my boys said. Oh yeah he went from the 4 to the 4s and is a hardcore fanboi.

My b. I trust the opinions on this thread much more than the "other" thread. Cough sarlacc, mizouse cough.
I was just trying to help
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'll have to wait and see some more to see which phone I want. I'm slightly disappointed by the omission of the Exynos processor or whatever but TBH I don't think I would be able to tell the difference unless the same phone with and without it side by side. I guess it's to prevent owner's remorse as well though I'm sure specs aside these three phones are quite different.

I'm really excited for this recent crop, more than I have in a long time. Hope to try them out side by side if possible and find out which one I like the most

I've been a slave to the iPhone for four years... save me! only thing Apple I use is iTunes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an iPhone 4s for my work phone and a G2 for my personal phone. I like them both for different reasons. The iPhone's exchange integration is quite reliable and it is very easy for me to set up a config profile and send to all our users. We tested android devices and the exchange integration is too flaky. It just wasn't reliable enough to implement. I'm sure this will get better with newer androids OS.

That said, I love the fact that I can swap the OS on my android phone whenever I get bored of it. Being so customizable is what makes android great.

There are too many people that hate on one or the other just because of the name. Most of those people haven't even used both and have no real basis for their hate.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
So is the best Android phone out the Galaxy S2? I know magazine racing is weak but I haven't seen any comparisons yet probably because it's too soon. Out of curiousity will TMo S2 get ICS or nobody knows yet?

Someone mentioned Google Music. I've heard rumors of something shaking up on it by end of November. I hope it doesn't shave the beta because we'll probably have to pay.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Specs wise, the Galaxy S II is the best, minus the pixel density but that's not to say SuperAMOLED+ sucks. That Galaxy S II HD LTE from Korea looks to match the Galaxy Nexus' pixel density and has the same internal parts as the original Galaxy S II. The Exynos and Mali-400 are the best right now in the Android world. However, this can bring some problems as only Samsung uses these. If Samsung were to stop supporting the Exynos and Mali, highly unlikely right now but there is a possibility, then you're kinda stuck with whatever platform they decide to stop working on.

If the phone stays within the reference of the Nexus, which is the TI OMAP 4460 now, the updates will be easier to port. If it isn't done by the manufacturer then Cyanogenmod can do it easily as the CPU will be the same for the most part.

The Galaxy S II will most likely get ICS since they just started selling it in the US. All the original Galaxy S and international S II phones are still being updated every other week as we speak. The carriers just aren't pushing them but they can be found on Samsung's servers and on XDA. They are fully functional as well so you have to wonder who is at fault here.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
I'll have to wait and see some more to see which phone I want. I'm slightly disappointed by the omission of the Exynos processor or whatever but TBH I don't think I would be able to tell the difference unless the same phone with and without it side by side. I guess it's to prevent owner's remorse as well though I'm sure specs aside these three phones are quite different.

I'm really excited for this recent crop, more than I have in a long time. Hope to try them out side by side if possible and find out which one I like the most

I've been a slave to the iPhone for four years... save me! only thing Apple I use is iTunes
You won't likely be able to tell the difference side by side in regular usage. Also, I'm sure XDA will bring a kernel that'll allow you to overclock the phone. Manufacturers usually underclock their CPUs to promote longer battery.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Specs wise, the Galaxy S II is the best, minus the pixel density but that's not to say SuperAMOLED+ sucks. That Galaxy S II HD LTE from Korea looks to match the Galaxy Nexus' pixel density and has the same internal parts as the original Galaxy S II. The Exynos and Mali-400 are the best right now in the Android world. However, this can bring some problems as only Samsung uses these. If Samsung were to stop supporting the Exynos and Mali, highly unlikely right now but there is a possibility, then you're kinda stuck with whatever platform they decide to stop working on.

If the phone stays within the reference of the Nexus, which is the TI OMAP 4460 now, the updates will be easier to port. If it isn't done by the manufacturer then Cyanogenmod can do it easily as the CPU will be the same for the most part.

The Galaxy S II will most likely get ICS since they just started selling it in the US. All the original Galaxy S and international S II phones are still being updated every other week as we speak. The carriers just aren't pushing them but they can be found on Samsung's servers and on XDA. They are fully functional as well so you have to wonder who is at fault here.
hahhaha sure the GS2 will get ICS...........in 2014.
Have you learned nothing from Samsung update issues in the past few years?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

I should know I'm using a Galaxy S. Gingerbread builds were first to be released by Samsung. T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon refuse to push them out because they want you to buy a new phone. They can be easily found on the XDA forums and flashed using ODIN which is the same method they actually instruct you to do with their official builds. As a matter of fact, the international version continually gets updates and is getting faster with each build. I would stay on it but I need adhoc and no one's compiled one for Gingerbread 2.3.5 yet besides on Cyanogenmod and MIUI.

Also, the Galaxy S II is continually getting Gingerbread updates at the moment. Everything is there on XDA if you choose to flash. Samsung seems to use XDA to find bugs before they push out their official builds.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Anyone here with a Nexus S running NSCollab 1.0.50? How is running for you? Im getting about 4-5 reboots and two or three freezes per day. Its frustrating and Im about to try another rom. It just sucks since I love NSCollab.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Anyone here with a Nexus S running NSCollab 1.0.50? How is running for you? Im getting about 4-5 reboots and two or three freezes per day. Its frustrating and Im about to try another rom. It just sucks since I love NSCollab.
I'm still running 4x, but from what I hear on that thread. Raise the voltages if they are below stock/ upgrade mathkids kernel, i think v9 is out now.

I wouldnt switch ROMs, NScollab is to good, just go back a version if the above doesnt work
Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Ive run versions 8, 8.5 and 9, all with the same issues. I do need to check out the voltages, but IIRC on .50, the voltage issue was fixed. At least I think I saw that in the change log.

Ive been thinking about trying out MIUI again just to see if its a bit smoother now. But Im not sure.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ive run versions 8, 8.5 and 9, all with the same issues. I do need to check out the voltages, but IIRC on .50, the voltage issue was fixed. At least I think I saw that in the change log.

Ive been thinking about trying out MIUI again just to see if its a bit smoother now. But Im not sure.
get the proton voltage app from the market, and check it out
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

And if you wanna switch to Miui, try considering this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1287920
I was contemplating but I didnt wanna do a wipe and test it out and all, been kinda busy.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

More evidence of Galaxy Nexus coming to Sprint?

http://briefmobile.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-coming-soon
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Hope so. I really want a Nexus, I am never playing the Samsung update game again. My Epic STILL doesn't have official Gingerbread and the identical phone on Verizon came with it pre-installed

Btw, so all the phones that will be getting the ICS update will they all just have dead physical/capacitive buttons, or will they still have some function?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zguy95135
Hope so. I really want a Nexus, I am never playing the Samsung update game again. My Epic STILL doesn't have official Gingerbread and the identical phone on Verizon came with it pre-installed

Btw, so all the phones that will be getting the ICS update will they all just have dead physical/capacitive buttons, or will they still have some function?
the main point of ICS, is that it can work with any screen size and any device. So they just wont have those buttons on the screen. And you capacitive buttons will be functional
Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM

get the proton voltage app from the market, and check it out
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

And if you wanna switch to Miui, try considering this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1287920
I was contemplating but I didnt wanna do a wipe and test it out and all, been kinda busy.
I actually ended up flashing CM7 N230 and franco.kernel. Not a single reboot or sleep of death. The only issue I have is BLN isn't working properly. I keep getting "This liblights does no support BLN" in the BLN Control Pro app.

BLN works for some people using this kernel but not others. The dev is looking into it. It could be an issue with CM7 as I was getting the same error using CMs base kernel, which is supposed to support BLN as well.

Other then that, its actually running better now then it was on NSCollab (even .46, which didn't give me constant reboots). Its practically lag free.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
My Garage

the main point of ICS, is that it can work with any screen size and any device. So they just wont have those buttons on the screen. And you capacitive buttons will be functional
Are you sure it's not the other way around. The button layout on ICS is different than that of GB or Froyo. No hardware has the recent apps button that ICS has. Not sure how that would work.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Are you sure it's not the other way around. The button layout on ICS is different than that of GB or Froyo. No hardware has the recent apps button that ICS has. Not sure how that would work.
Good point!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

interesting, well we'll come to see whats up soon. I still dont see them putting it twice.

Maybe the menu button will be the new recent apps button,or they'll just have holding home button which is the current method of bring the recent apps button.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
ICS has an option (for capacitive button devices) to not show the onscreen buttons, so you can still use your normal 3-4 capacitive buttons and to bring up the recent apps launcher from ICS, you just hold down the "home" button.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
ICS has an option (for capacitive button devices) to not show the onscreen buttons, so you can still use your normal 3-4 capacitive buttons and to bring up the recent apps launcher from ICS, you just hold down the "home" button.
sauce?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

I think the buttons are dependent on the phone. If it knows your phone has buttons, it won't show the digital buttons and vice versa. As far as the recent apps, I'm not sure how that'll work. It'll probably replace the hold Home function like speedemon90 said.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

So I've been playing with the ICS theme with Roboto font for CM7. Should work for HDPI, maybe for MDPI and LDPI but not sure:

Looks pretty nice. Get them from XDA:

CM7 Theme engine: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1310925

Lockscreen: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312431

Roboto font: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1309557

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 10-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (10-22-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

hmm, I think I may try it out. Can that lockscreen enable other shortcuts?? Like the ring one?? Or else I'll just stick to the ring.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

hmm, I think I may try it out. Can that lockscreen enable other shortcuts?? Like the ring one?? Or else I'll just stick to the ring.
Yes. The middle is the ring function. It does the four custom apps that you choose in Cyanogenmod settings.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread