Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Actual photographers will tell you that HTC makes one of the worst cameras for their phones up until the Rezound.

But then, most people that take photos with their phones don't notice camera/picture quality anyways.

As with most opinions, YMMV.
In anything other than sunny conditions I agree. However I have taken several rather clear and sharp pictures in those conditions with both my TouchPro2, Incredible, and Tbolt. I mean obviously they don't compare at all to my S90 or my D300 but I am not expecting them to. I just want to see a steady progression to better than before that is all I ask.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM

In other news the lack of GN news is starting to annoy me a good bit.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Damn those pics look nice!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you guys test out Currents yet?

I like it, it's what RSS should be.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
How do you guys upgrade phones every year or sooner?

With cold hard cash?

Or is it..... a swipe of the debit/credit card?

no really though. I like shiny new gadgets but I dunno if I could forego the contract subsidization just to have an unlocked phone. I guess I'm not a power user.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Costco

With cold hard cash?

no really though. I like shiny new gadgets but I dunno if I could forego the contract subsidization just to have an unlocked phone. I guess I'm not a power user.
The first time you do it you will have to eat the extra fee pretty much. From then on out you can pretty much make it the same as a new every two contract pricing in my experience.

Basically you buy you first phone right when it comes out for between 200-300 with a new contract. That same phone without a contract is like 500-600. In 11-12months put that phone on ebay and normally you can get between 200-300 for that phone from people who want it but are not eligible for an upgrade still or don't want to lock into a new contract. Then put that money towards a phone at full cost and you end up getting one at a discount price almost. Probably a little over but close to it. Then repeat this in another 11-12months at which time you are selling your current phone plus getting your new one at 2 year contract price which means this purchase almost becomes free in the end which will balance out the little more you spent the last time. Continuously repeat. Obviously if you are really hard on your phones this does not work. I always use a case and screen protector and between the two have only had one mark on all 4 of my last phone combined.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,258 Likes on 4,873 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco

With cold hard cash?

I haven't renewed a contract in about 5 years. The G1 lasted me a year and a half, the MyTouch Slide lasted 6 months, and I've had the Nexus S since launch day. Prior to Android, I had a Sony Ericsson P990 for about two years - bought unlocked. I had a Sidekick II before that, which was my last contract phone. The Slide was possibly the worst phone Ive owned. Colts is right about selling them, I just wish I would stop being so lazy and actually sell my old phones while theyre still worth something
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

LOL same here. I have all my old phones cause I love having a history of Technology. I have been lucky and my dad hates having to learn new technology so I just use his upgrade every other year along with mine.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
I'm the same way with my cell phones. lol. I change phones about once a year but I do have to stop. Its getting expensive. lol. I do have a few laying around and I still play with my old ones every now and then. I also gave away a few of my phones to relatives that need a spare phone. My last contract was with the Motorola V6 when AT&T was still Cingular and that was the last contract I've had. lol. My bro did renew it recently for an iPhone 4S and it screwed up my account for a few days. My list of phones:

Motorola V6i --> Sony Ericsson T61 --> Sony Ericcson P800 --> HTC Wizard --> Samsung G600 --> Nokia N95 --> HTC Ion --> Samsung Galaxy S

I loved my P800 and actually wanted to get a P910 to replace it but I was a broke High School kid back then. lol. I remember people asking how to use a touch screen phone and they found it so complicated with the stylus. I thought it was ingenious and actually used my phone as a GPS amongst other things. Symbian was awesome back then.

And with all of that said, I just pulled the trigger on a Galaxy Nexus last night from Handtec. I actually wasn't going to get it for a while but my girlfriend is helping me pick it up as a bday/xmas gift. (Yes, she's a keeper. ) Its coming on Monday barring any delays with customs. Will post once I get it.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I loved my P800 and actually wanted to get a P910 to replace it but I was a broke High School kid back then. lol. I remember people asking how to use a touch screen phone and they found it so complicated with the stylus. I thought it was ingenious and actually used my phone as a GPS amongst other things. Symbian was awesome back then.
I owned a P800 for a short time years ago. I bought it used and the speaker didnt work That phone got me hooked on smart phones though. I thought the P series phones were the best thing ever since you could remove the number pad if you wanted to.

I was hoping that there would some way to port Android to my P990, but I can't find anything for it

Every now and then I play with my G1. Its amazing to see how far Android has come in such a short amount of time.

I think I got my first cellphone back in 2002 with Sprint. I had the first color screen phone they had, it was a Samsung......I forget the model name. Then I went to TMobile and picked up the Samsung E715 - the best regular phone Ive ever owned. That thing lasted forever. I think thats somewhere in my old room in NY. I need to find it.

EDIT - The color screen phone with Sprint was the N400. It wasnt my first phone. I had a run of the mill flip phone for about a month before that one was released and got the N400 for Christmas.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 12-09-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the same way with my cell phones. lol. I change phones about once a year but I do have to stop. Its getting expensive. lol. I do have a few laying around and I still play with my old ones every now and then. I also gave away a few of my phones to relatives that need a spare phone. My last contract was with the Motorola V6 when AT&T was still Cingular and that was the last contract I've had. lol. My bro did renew it recently for an iPhone 4S and it screwed up my account for a few days. My list of phones:

Motorola V6i --> Sony Ericsson T61 --> Sony Ericcson P800 --> HTC Wizard --> Samsung G600 --> Nokia N95 --> HTC Ion --> Samsung Galaxy S

And with all of that said, I just pulled the trigger on a Galaxy Nexus last night from Handtec. I actually wasn't going to get it for a while but my girlfriend is helping me pick it up as a bday/xmas gift. (Yes, she's a keeper. ) Its coming on Monday barring any delays with customs. Will post once I get it.
16gb or 32gb??
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Spci816
16gb or 32gb??
16 GB. Seems to be the only option right now for the GSM version. The Verizon version will be 32 GB. Maybe in the future they'll have a 32 GB variant but I've noticed I don't even use all of that space especially with everything in the cloud nowadays.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I owned a P800 for a short time years ago. I bought it used and the speaker didnt work That phone got me hooked on smart phones though. I thought the P series phones were the best thing ever since you could remove the number pad if you wanted to.

I was hoping that there would some way to port Android to my P990, but I can't find anything for it

Every now and then I play with my G1. Its amazing to see how far Android has come in such a short amount of time.

I think I got my first cellphone back in 2002 with Sprint. I had the first color screen phone they had, it was a Samsung......I forget the model name. Then I went to TMobile and picked up the Samsung E715 - the best regular phone Ive ever owned. That thing lasted forever. I think thats somewhere in my old room in NY. I need to find it.

EDIT - The color screen phone with Sprint was the N400. It wasnt my first phone. I had a run of the mill flip phone for about a month before that one was released and got the N400 for Christmas.
Yeah the P Series was awesome. I remember reading all the reviews for those phones back in the day. Back when they were around $900-1000 for a smartphone.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got my "biggie" Christmas gift early because my old phone just died on me. I got a Droid Razr. So far I love it. The screen is huge and crisp. I haven't gotten much chance to play with the camera yet, but hopefully I will this weekend. This is my first smart phone, so I can't really compare it to any other phones. I like Android so far, I may try to write some programs for it for fun after finals week.

I just got done playing some Onlive games on it. As much as I love building my own computers, I really see something like Onlive being huge in the future. Being able to play computer games with decent graphics on a tablet/netbook/phone is just cool.

Sorry if this has already been asked a million times, but is there any specific apps I should get?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I was thinking the same thing. For a 6yo get him a cheap Android epad. 10 inch screen for under 200 biz. Look it up.
Originally Posted by Doom878
best performance for a 6 year old? I think someone said the new Prime.
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
KINDLE FIRE

Per your Cons for the Nexus:
-- what the heck do you mean by full use of 1280x720??? Do you even need to have it "full" use?
-- megapixels are not the benchmark for cameras. It is about the sensor, and the Samsung camera sensors right now are 100 out of 100 better than HTC sensors, so despite the "low" megapixels, you are getting a better camera than the Rezound.... unless you want to take giant poster photos all day, then by all means go get a big number megapixel camera
-- sense vs. stock ICS is all up to personal preference. Choose what you like.
For 7" tablets, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is king.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...initial-review Better link

Don't confuse this with the original Galaxy Tab 7.0 which is fatter and runs Gingerbread. Its using the same Exynos processor found in the Galaxy S 2 and is way more capable than the Tegra 2. Arguable about the Tegra 3, but graphics wise should match or better it. Price wise its going around $700 right now but that's because it isn't officially released in the US yet.

For the more budget oriented, the Acer Iconia Tab A100 (Dual Core Tegra):

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-A1.../dp/B00548QAPC

Lenovo K1 (This is a single core and not really the best in performance or in price. lol.):

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad...3275386&sr=1-2

Then there's the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. The Kindle Fire is not the fastest but seems to be more customizable than the Nook Tablet due to the open bootloader. I guess it really doesn't matter for a 6 year old kid though. lol. Also the Nook Tablet limits you to 1 GB of space for non-Nook apps which is pretty small.

If you really want performance, wait for the Samsung 7.7. If want something in the middle, the Acer. If just for consuming media, the Kindle or the Nook leaning more towards the Kindle at the moment.
Kindle Fire running an early build of ICS:

http://youtu.be/Fg819ZqLMIY

OMG... thanks so very much yall!!!!

This is why I love AZ!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

My Nexus literally just arrived! Just a little disappointed Handtec used no protection on this. It just came in one of those huge Fedex bubble envelopes and no foam or stuffer to prevent the phone from moving around. Shipping is really fast from the UK. Ordered at Thursday midnight and arrived here in the west coast at 9 AM. Time to play. Hehe.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Cant wait for a review. I just flashed the latest CM9 (Alpha 13). Still getting everything setup again. I love the UI though. Its a huge improvement. I don't even need to use a launcher on it, the stock launcher works great.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

So really quick impressions. Phone feels awesome in the hand. It is slightly larger than the Galaxy S but its not so noticeable probably because its so thin. The metal trim makes it feel less plasticy but when you touch the back cover it reminds you of it. Its really not bad though. It feels less plasticy than my Galaxy S and closer to that iPhone feel. Phone is very light. It feels lighter than my Galaxy S. Its thinner than the Galaxy S at the thinnest point but slightly thicker at the thickest end. I just got an update, probably the volume bug fix which doesn't affect the US. ICS is snappy on this phone. A lot faster than the ICS builds I was using on the Galaxy S. Whether that's due to the missing HW composition or something else, its very noticeable. Will probably get a good review in the next couple of days as I'm gonna be rooting this thing and getting a custom ROM on it. lol.

Family picture:

Google Ion, Samsung Galaxy S i9000M, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM

You're making me want to buy it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So really quick impressions. Phone feels awesome in the hand. It is slightly larger than the Galaxy S but its not so noticeable probably because its so thin. The metal trim makes it feel less plasticy but when you touch the back cover it reminds you of it. Its really not bad though. It feels less plasticy than my Galaxy S and closer to that iPhone feel. Phone is very light. It feels lighter than my Galaxy S. Its thinner than the Galaxy S at the thinnest point but slightly thicker at the thickest end. I just got an update, probably the volume bug fix which doesn't affect the US. ICS is snappy on this phone. A lot faster than the ICS builds I was using on the Galaxy S. Whether that's due to the missing HW composition or something else, its very noticeable. Will probably get a good review in the next couple of days as I'm gonna be rooting this thing and getting a custom ROM on it. lol.

Family picture:

Google Ion, Samsung Galaxy S i9000M, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
What service are you on? How are the download and upload speeds? Are you getting 3g or 4g?

Sorry for the many questions, I'd just like to get an idea before making the jump
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

You're making me want to buy it.
Do it. You know you want to. lol. Negri Elictronics has it for $685 with the code "VZSUCKS". lol.

Originally Posted by Spci816
What service are you on? How are the download and upload speeds? Are you getting 3g or 4g?

Sorry for the many questions, I'd just like to get an idea before making the jump
I'm on AT&T. I will let you know about speeds once I choose a proper ROM. lol. My speeds might not be representative of actual speeds because I'm using a non-smartphone plan and AT&T has since started capping speeds on it. I might be forced to get a regular data plan but I'll wait for them to force it on me. It is HSPA+ pentaband so it should work on T-Mobile as well. I've seen people reporting around 6-10 Mbps on AT&T on XDA.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Damn you. I checked out prices and saw $744 as the lowest, then came here to see a discount code making it even more enticing. Is that where you bought yours? $685 is a bit easier to spend since I spent over $500 for the NS. I cant justify dropping over $700 on a phone though.

T-Mos bands are 850/1900 (voice) and 1700/2100 (data). T-Mos "4G" should work on this phone.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Damn you. I checked out prices and saw $744 as the lowest, then came here to see a discount code making it even more enticing. Is that where you bought yours? $685 is a bit easier to spend since I spent over $500 for the NS. I cant justify dropping over $700 on a phone though.

T-Mos bands are 850/1900 (voice) and 1700/2100 (data). T-Mos "4G" should work on this phone.
Got mine from Handtec UK which is about $7 more but I'm not sure if Negri charges for delivery. Negri is located in Vegas so it would be easier to send returns to them than to Handtec which is a plus. The code didn't go live until Friday so I went with Handtec. $700 is up there for my budget as well but I figured that the price would be around the same though after taxes once it does come out which will probably be around February.

Just unlocked the bootloader, rooted, flashed CWM recovery and backed up my IMEI. Now to choose a ROM. lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Im going to hold out a few days before pulling the trigger. I want to see what you think of it. Theres still that voice in the back of my head saying dont do it, its not a monumental jump - according to the spec sheet - from my NS.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Understandable. The Nexus S still has some life in it. Will let you guys know how it goes in the next few days. Having a hard time choosing a ROM. So many options trying to figure out what I want. I think I may go with Modaco's for now...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Just try 'em all!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Just try 'em all!
I probably will eventually. lol. So far so good with Modaco's. The no lag shutter is pretty cool.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow... so jealous!!!

Google should just screw verizon and release ICS on the NS already!!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Still waiting on Verizon..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Safety Car

Preliminary battery life on Galaxy Nexus with 26% left after 13 hours:

I feel like my Galaxy S has better battery life but it actually didn't do all that bad considering it was on 3G/HSPA for the majority of the time. Also, this is only my second battery cycle after changing kernels as well. In other words, it needs a few more cycles to get a better representation of battery life.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Safety Car

^I forgot to mention the battery screen above started at 90%. So add another 5-6% to the 26% after 13 hours and its not that bad.

3G/HSPA+ on AT&T's network in LA at different times of the day:

My data speeds are not indicative of proper speeds mainly due to my data plan. AT&T has started to cap speeds on the data plan and the most I've seen is 5 Mbps on it. I do feel though that the upload speed could be better. May have to try a different baseband.

Oh and yes, I'm using a modified button sequence at the bottom. Normally, the Galaxy Nexus only shows Back, Home and Recent apps. I'm using a Left Menu, Back, Home, Search, Recent Apps, Right Menu configuration.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Interesting, battery life seems so so, I've heard the GSII has amazing battery life, I wonder how this compares to that.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

Yeah. I think it may need a few more cycles to settle down. We'll see. In other news, new Android Market update 3.4.4:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12...-market-3-4-4/
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 AM

Want Galaxy Nexus NOW Verzion
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Wow... so jealous!!!

Google should just screw verizon and release ICS on the NS already!!
I don't think Google is holding the cards here.

Verizon has a lot of weight to throw around.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

An early leaked build of Galaxy S II running ICS:

Looks like this is the path all the skins will be taking. Same look just with the ICS framework. Then again, this is an early build. Maybe they'll change it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

New 3D launcher:

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12...fore-watching/

Looks pretty awesome and its running on a Desire HD. A lot of the elements look like they're from the never released TAT Launcher who got bought by RIM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Finally Google+ will be adding the ability to start a Hangout from an Android or iPhone!

Today, we improve the service significantly.

1) We are enabling you to hangout on any post.
2) We've reached an important milestone for "Hangouts on Air". Hundreds of people (who we have whitelisted as part of our trial) can now broadcast their hangouts to the entire world for free completely self-service. Our goal is to enable this for everyone on the planet.
3) We are making it possible for you to start hangouts from messenger on Android or iPhone devices.
4) You can call any phone number in the world and conference in anyone.
5) We threw in a reindeer :-)
https://plus.google.com/107117483540...ts/enxUkspe5Dn
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
TF my Droid keeps saying I need Wifi to download apps and to update.

It has never done this b4.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Flipster23
TF my Droid keeps saying I need Wifi to download apps and to update.

It has never done this b4.

What version of the market are you running? Open up Market --> Menu --> Settings. Scroll down. I believe they introduced this "feature" in version 3.1.2 and I don't think there's a way to turn it off.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread