Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
if your franchise goes down in a blunder b/c of one player getting removed... you should blame the recruiters/coaches and owner...

but that goes back to most people being sheep and hating/liking who they are told to..

kind of how our stadium boos jordan jefferson for sucking so bad when its les mile's fault he starts...

i was mad about his actions when they occurred several years ago. he has done more than enough to make up for his actions, and also served the time he was given.

does that make him a good person? no.. has he paid for his actions... yes..

whether you agree or not is your decision, im just here to share my opinion.
The...
Saints (Brees)
Colts (Manning)
Arizona Cardinals (Warner)
Steelers (Polamalu)
Oregon Ducks (Dixon)
Bengals (Palmer)
Lions (Sanders)
...coaches would like to have a word.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
We're finally back on football.

I think you can probably add a few more teams to that list, in several more sports.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Yeah, that's just what was on the top of my head. Especially in the QB position, most teams would shit bricks if their starter would be out for an extended period of time.

Fortunately, the Black and Gold seemed to have dodged the bullet with a 3-1 record.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
if brees left, and we sucked (which we would)

i would in fact be pissed at the organization for not having a suitable "decent" backup..
relying on one guy to carry the burden of winning for years on top of years isnt the smartest thing you can do.

and eventually, it will happen to some of those current teams you listed...

ps. i never said there weren't teams that wouldn't go under if they lost their star..
and detroit sucked, even with sanders

78-82

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Name a team in the league that has two quality starting QBs.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
None of the coaches/recruiters/owner knew about Vick's personal issues. If they did, do you honestly think they'd approve of his actions?

And not everyone can have a backup QB that can win games on his own. If Charlie Batch were starting for some other team with a subpar defense, I don't think that team would win. Plus, if the backup QB were THAT good, he'd probably want to start, or be traded. And if he really is that good, and your starter isn't injury prone, wouldn't you want to trade him for a draft pick to possibly make your team that much better, instead of letting him rot on the bench?

Hey, not everyone can have Steve Young as a backup
Old 10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Name a team in the league that has two quality starting QBs.
not all team's stars are their quarterbacks...

some teams have zero quality quarterbacks...

the reason you dont normally see a good QB tandem is b/c you have to build your offense around your starter...

RB's WR's can easily be subbed in and out without messing with a teams strategy...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM

the reason you dont normally see a good QB tandem is b/c you have to build your offense around your starter...

RB's WR's can easily be subbed in and out without messing with a teams strategy...
Then, going from your logic, we should look down upon coaches/GMs/organizations league-wide, even the previous Super Bowl winning Colts, who have won 12 straight or more for the past 7 seasons, because when they played their back ups, they crumpled up like toilet paper.

Just checking...

if your franchise goes down in a blunder b/c of one player getting removed... you should blame the recruiters/coaches and owner...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
The Dumb One

not sure what you're asking..

it has nothing to do with playing backups..

is about the fact that people would be pissed at manning for the colts sucking if he retires or gets traded.. what are you talking about?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM

not sure what you're asking..

it has nothing to do with playing backups..

is about the fact that people would be pissed at manning for the colts sucking if he retires or gets traded.. what are you talking about?
I'm not asking anything. I'm saying you're not making sense, in that not all teams are equipped to handle losing their starting QB. I just used the fact that the Colts lost games when they rested their starters, despite their years of proven success, supporting my point that you can't blame the coaches IF your starter is removed by some random, hidden deep down secret.

How can you blame the coaches if Manning retires? If he's secretly organizing cat fighting rings, and ends up going to prison on federal charges, and the coaches knew nothing about it.... how can you blame them? How would they know?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Don't try to go off on a tangent. What position does Vick play? What happened after he got arrested?

Now, answer the question - what franchise would be in great shape if their QB disappeared 10 days before the season starts?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by Costco
I'm not asking anything. I'm saying you're not making sense, in that not all teams are equipped to handle losing their starting QB. I just used the fact that the Colts lost games when they rested their starters, despite their years of proven success, supporting my point that you can't blame the coaches IF your starter is removed by some random, hidden deep down secret.
we are not talking about subbing players to save the starters for the playoffs.. the discussion is about a team losing many more games the following season after one star player has left (for whatever reason)

that is a coaching/recruiting issue.. not completely the fault of a single player.

How can you blame the coaches if Manning retires? If he's secretly organizing cat fighting rings, and ends up going to prison on federal charges, and the coaches knew nothing about it.... how can you blame them? How would they know?
you're avoiding the point completely

im saying if manning retires "early" or gets traded.. and the colts lose 10 games next season.. is it mannings fault? no... granted you cant have another manning on deck.. but if your team doesnt have enough talent (both players and coaches) to win games without one person.. then yes, you blame administrators also...

Don't try to go off on a tangent. What position does Vick play? What happened after he got arrested?

Now, answer the question - what franchise would be in great shape if their QB disappeared 10 days before the season starts?

CAR
ARI
DET
CLE

there's a few others that might benefit from the loss as well :wink:

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM

we are not talking about subbing players to save the starters for the playoffs.. the discussion is about a team losing many more games the following season after one star player has left (for whatever reason)

that is a coaching/recruiting issue.. not completely the fault of a single player.

you're avoiding the point completely

im saying if manning retires "early" or gets traded.. and the colts lose 10 games next season.. is it mannings fault? no... granted you cant have another manning on deck.. but if your team doesnt have enough talent (both players and coaches) to win games without one person.. then yes, you blame administrators also...

What I was trying to put forth is a hypothetical situation. OF COURSE it wouldn't be Manning's fault if he were traded.... that's not what I'm trying to say.

You're trying to make it sound like Vick shouldn't be blamed for the Falcons fall from grace after 2006, it should be on the coaches and the organization.... at least that's what I was getting from your posts, and its what I'm getting at. And what I'm getting at is if Vick had changed his ways before then without going to jail, the Falcons might have been in a better position today and even back then.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by Costco

You're trying to make it sound like Vick shouldn't be blamed for the Falcons fall from grace after 2006, it should be on the coaches and the organization.... at least that's what I was getting from your posts, and its what I'm getting at. And what I'm getting at is if Vick had changed his ways before then without going to jail, the Falcons might have been in a better position today and even back then.
he was part of the reason that they lost more games immediately following his arrest b/c of his absence, true.

but losing for consecutive seasons involves alot more people.. and im sure if the falcons dont make the playoffs this year, there are still people who are willing to just blame vick
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM

he was part of the reason that they lost more games immediately following his arrest b/c of his absence, true.

but losing for consecutive seasons involves alot more people.. and im sure if the falcons dont make the playoffs this year, there are still people who are willing to just blame vick
Well, this part I can agree with. Just a miscommunication.

The Falcons seemed to bounce back quickly though.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

CAR - 'franchise QB' sucked ass, traded
ARI - franchise QB retires, team goes into the shitter
DET - Stafford isn't a 'franchise QB' yet
CLE - Bernie Kosar isn't walking through that door

there's a few others that might benefit from the loss as well :wink:
What we've got here is a failure to communicate.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,679 Likes on 13,911 Posts

Dude...Vick's case was what tanked the Falcon's 2006 season. Certainly, I agree with everyone that he has put in his time...However, that does not change the fact that he flat-out LIED to an owner that truly believed in him and spent alot on him, the commissioner, and EVERYONE who asked him about his involvement in the dog-ring...

He only fessed up when he had no choice.

Here's Peter King's article on Vick and his impact to the Atlanta franchise: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
The Dumb One

What we've got here is a failure to communicate.
seems so..your asking questions that benefit your case.. and im giving answers that benefit mine.

GG

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Dude...Vick's case was what tanked the Falcon's 2006 season. Certainly, I agree with everyone that he has put in his time...However, that does not change the fact that he flat-out LIED to an owner that truly believed in him and spent alot on him, the commissioner, and EVERYONE who asked him about his involvement in the dog-ring...

He only fessed up when he had no choice.
i never disputed any of this.

what part of history would him telling the truth change in the falcons franchise? since we are focusing on the fact that he lied so adamantly....

he still would have left the falcons to drown, been convicted, served time.. etc.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

seems so..your asking questions that benefit your case.. and im ignoring them.

GG
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

what part of history would him telling the truth change in the falcons franchise?
Tell the truth to owner - keep his trust.
Tell the truth to the commissioner - reduce your suspension.
Tell the truth to the feds - possibly don't go to jail.

This is fun.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

what part of history would him telling the truth change in the falcons franchise?
So, you're going to give the face of an NFL franchise...a free pass...for flat-out lying on something this serious...?

The amount invested in him by the team, his endorsements, the NFL crest...they all require him to be accountable. He is supposed to be a role-model. That's why he gets paid more than you and I will ever in our lifetimes 100000X over...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

From 2007 in a dialogue between CNN and the Commish:

SI.com: I want to be on the record. Has Michael ever, at any point, said to you he's been involved in dogfighting?

Goodell: No ... His comments to me were very consistent with what he said publicly: That he does not have any involvement in dogfighting, that he loves dogs, that he would not have any interest in that, that it wasn't happening at his property, and that was his discussion ... And I was very clear with him that if it's happening on your property, it's your responsibility.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...30/mmqb/1.html
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
The Dumb One

Tell the truth to owner - keep his trust.
Tell the truth to the commissioner - reduce your suspension.
Tell the truth to the feds - possibly don't go to jail.

This is fun.
trust wouldnt matter with the owner. he wont be playing for him in the future anyways, with or without trust.
the suspension wasnt mandatory, but you cant play football in jail.. suspension was coming from one place or another.
he was going to jail, lie or not. maybe less time, but still going.

agreed.

and yum... im aware that he lied... what are you trying to get across?

and i wouldnt say jailtime, fines, bankruptcy, your reputation is exactly, "a free pass"
and what does his dog fighting have to do with me? im against dog fighting as much as the next guy... but did it affect my life? not in the least.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-05-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

trust wouldnt matter with the owner. he wont be playing for him in the future anyways, with or without trust.
the suspension wasnt mandatory, but you cant play football in jail.. suspension was coming from one place or another.

agreed.
Jamal Lewis did a four month stint in the 2005 offseason for setting up a drug deal and played 16 games the next season. Charged in Feb 04, but played that year too.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

agreed.

and yum... im aware that he lied... what are you trying to get across?

and i wouldnt say jailtime, fines, bankruptcy, your reputation is exactly, "a free pass"
and what does his dog fighting have to do with me? im against dog fighting as much as the next guy... but did it affect my life? not in the least.
Well, my point is that the guy nearly ruined the Falcons' franchise. That's all...

And certainly, while his actions in the dog-fighting did not impact you per se, it has for alot of others who once looked up to him...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Pardon my NFC/West Coast ignorance but what did San Fran do in the off season that has everyone's hopes up so high?
The truth? Because Kurt Warner retired.....and the 49ers finished 2nd for the last two years.

I don't believe we'll make it back to the playoffs unless we get rid of the crap of a QB Alex Smith.....
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
The Dumb One

Jamal Lewis did a four month stint in the 2005 offseason for setting up a drug deal and played 16 games the next season. Charged in Feb 04, but played that year too.

he was punished accordingly, so was vick.. whats the problem there?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

he was punished accordingly, so was vick.. whats the problem there?
Vick wasn't released just because he fought dogs. I thought you would have figured that out by now.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
The Dumb One

he damn sure wouldnt have been out of football if he hadnt done so..
the dogs were 99% of the straws that broke the camel's back.

i figured you could have realized that, most people do.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

He would be a Falcon today if he didn't lie to Blank and own up to the mistake right away. I'd put money on it.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
The Dumb One

you could say that.. but im guessing the only reason he plays football at all is b/c of his rehabilitation process... if he doesnt serve jailtime.. people hate him more, and longer... and i dont think any team resigns him...
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

He would have gone through that anyway - Blank would have seen to it. Restitution, working with PETA, etc. He could have gone to jail and still stayed with the team.

Blank loved Vick.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
The Dumb One

im exhausted..

go saints.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

So, anyone got a team that can lend its O-line to Chicago...?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM
The Dumb One

take SF's.. they wont be needing it. take gore while your at it.. he deserves more recognition.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

So, anyone got a team that can lend its O-line to Chicago...?
Want Flozell?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe the Bears can sign some players from the CFL...cuz, the ones they have would not make a varsity squad.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Anybody have any tickets for the Dec 19 GB @ NE game?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Maybe the Bears can sign some players from the CFL...cuz, the ones they have would not make a varsity squad.
Anthony Cavillo > Jay Cutler
Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Anthony Cavillo > Jay Cutler
Duh...Tony does not have a concussion.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2010 Season Discussion Thread