Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2011-2012 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Had that bullshit happen to me too....when all my friends know how deep I am a fan, I don't tolerate it either.

Usually I'll delete any post that attacks me personally. My FB wall isn't a place for debate like that.
I got a bit of that too. Someone accused me of being a JaVale McGee bandwagon fan, when I'm really just a post-Melo Nuggets fan. When I said that, I got called sensitive. A bit of irony, there.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,736 Likes on 13,945 Posts
Originally Posted by mystikk
I got a bit of that too. Someone accused me of being a JaVale McGee bandwagon fan, when I'm really just a post-Melo Nuggets fan. When I said that, I got called sensitive. A bit of irony, there.
Any team without Melo is a good team.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
AnthraciteAspec (05-14-2012), CarbonGray Earl (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
^ oh yah.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, a question for the LA fans here. Are the Clippers and Lakers sorta like the Cubs/White Sox thing for MLB...?

What I mean is, you cheer for one and should not cheer for the other? Sure, the Clips and Lakers share the same court. But, just wondering how it works.
I'm a diehard Lakers fan always have been and always will be since before the Clippers were in LA. I'm also a basketball fan so I watch the Clippers because they are here and I like watching basketball but I can't say I rout for them especially since that orgainization has been so blatantly hapless over their 42 year history but "Every dog has its day" and finally this is theirs so good for them.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Don't need him. The other Le[Name]s will more than make up for him.

The score will be a few points less lop-sided, that's all. Just a few. Still expect at least a million in terms of differential.
So i expect mecha-rose to score a billion points next year.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by asianspec
So i expect mecha-rose to score a billion points next year.
He doesn't have a Le in front of his name.

So, no.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

maybe he got go go gadget thrusters to help.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Man Los Angeles is a buzz right now, thanks to the Lakers and Clippers.

Too bad I don't see either getting past OKC/SAS...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
OKC and SA are pretty much gonna be in the WCFs. The LA team, it slightly saddens me to say, are only delaying the inevitable.

That said, I hope both LA teams win.
Props to Lakers in a hard fought series. Refs let them play in game 7, Gasol delivered. Hopefully, Lakeshow/Thunder series goes 6-7.

Clippers/Spurs not as promising. SA was on a tear down the home stretch and had a lot of momentum going into the playoffs. Their big 3 needed the extended layoff, should be fresh for round 2. IMHO healthy Ginobili is the wild-card for the Spurs and a major reason they are in round 2 this year compared to last.

I'm disappointed in the lack of hype for the Clippers/Grizz game 7 today. Must be Mother's Day getting in the freaking way.

Fucking awesome game, probably the best in the season. There wasn't any whining, flopping, or bitching. It was just rough, physical basketball that reminded me of the 90s games. They collectively decided it was time to stop fuckin' around and play like they want it.
That game was like street ball. Hard nosed old school Pistons/Bulls/Celts type play.

So, a question for the LA fans here. Are the Clippers and Lakers sorta like the Cubs/White Sox thing for MLB...?

What I mean is, you cheer for one and should not cheer for the other? Sure, the Clips and Lakers share the same court. But, just wondering how it works.
IMO Cubs and White Sox are distinguished by geography, demographics, and the classic white vs. blue collar rivalry. White Sox is more blue collar, southside Chitown identity. They've had more success than the Clippers. Clips never really delivered a product on the court and postseason that could compete with the glitz and glamour of the Lakeshow and all their banners. This season they got a lot of hype from CP3 and Griffin.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Man Los Angeles is a buzz right now, thanks to the Lakers and Clippers.

Too bad I don't see either getting past OKC/SAS...
Right now it's a gold mine for Staples Center. Kings are on fire, both NBA teams are in the 2nd round. Kings/Rangers finals would be all-time but the Blueshirts need to get past their hated rivals from NJ first.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clpassenubye
I'm a diehard Lakers fan always have been and always will be since before the Clippers were in LA. I'm also a basketball fan so I watch the Clippers because they are here and I like watching basketball but I can't say I rout for them especially since that orgainization has been so blatantly hapless over their 42 year history but "Every dog has its day" and finally this is theirs so good for them.
I have to say, I feel like I'm in the minority, especially with Clipper fans that kinda root for both teams. Definitely if they were in more direct competition (like they were this season), it would be tough to root for both. It's just that throughout their years in LA, there have been rarely any cases in which the Lakers and Clippers have been fighting for playoff position. Seems like there are few Laker fans that even give a second thought to the clippers, and many I talk to say they kinda support them, but they're just so irrelevant that it's not really worth giving them their time of day. Clips fans always seem like the little brother in the city, who just want some appreciation, and find the lakers and their fans to be egotistical. The reaction between Laker fans and Clipper fans this season has definitely been different, and if both teams are consistently good, I'd say it would EASILY turn into a cross-town rivalry where people have to choose sides.

I have to say I started out a Lakers fan like most of LA, but the Clips around 1999-2000, became such an exciting team to watch featuring the young guns of Odom, Maggette, Darius Miles, Brand, etc. The Lakers were in the middle of the three-peat, but I couldn't help but catch every clipper game I could. I enjoyed the three-peat, but I have to say I found myself rooting for the Clippers squad more. In head to head matchups I was always rooting for the underdog. It got to the point where I was watching all the Clipper games, but would still root for the Lakers in the playoffs.

This is the first year I haven't rooted for the lakers AT ALL. They have been fighting for the pacific division crown and the 3rd seed like all season, so definitely been on the Clips side. Playoffs I have been kinda torn since really they haven't been in direct competition anymore, but I have to say there would be some Laker fans that would be insufferable if they got further in the playoffs than the Clips. I've been so glued to the Clips/Memphis series, I really wasn't following the Lakers/Nuggets series. As much as I want to see the Clips/Lakers WCF, it would take some major upsets, and if by some miracle the Clips get past the Spurs, they've actually had more success against the Thunder in the regular season, so I'd almost be just tempted to see that matchup in the playoffs.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts

Dude still has a raptor-like neck...
Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

he loves trolling.

The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
failhard.

Gotta love Bosh. Hope he recovers soon, same with everyone else.

What kind of fucking game is this Celtics/6ers? Both shooting near 35%, even missing free throws that none of them have any business missing. I doubt either team can net 70 at this point.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
I recently got into it with someone on Facebook, he called me a bandwagon hopper, I told him to fuck off and dropped his ass off my FB
Been there. I can't say a good thing about any other team, or even mention the Stars/Rangers/Cowboys without a co-worker popping that people are just bandwagon hoppers, thus I just block him from any sports-related posts.

Just a big hypocrite as I can't cheer for any other team, but he's happy to cheer for any Californian hockey team against the Stars.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

Kiss of death: Charles Barkley just picked the Lakers to win.

Maybe he meant to do that....
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

If the Lakers aren't careful, they might get blown out.

I can't believe no one seems to know to stay on Harden's left when he drives.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

^^Reggie Miller made a good point though. OKC are making their run off of jumpshots and turnovers. The Lakers have been doing it inside.

OKC may stay hot, but there's a greater possibility they won't than the Lakers inside game going away.

FWIW, the Lakers offense is actually doing well, its just that OKC got hot and had some mo' on their side.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Drifting

^^Reggie Miller made a good point though. OKC are making their run off of jumpshots and turnovers. The Lakers have been doing it inside.

OKC may stay hot, but there's a greater possibility they won't than the Lakers inside game going away.

FWIW, the Lakers offense is actually doing well, its just that OKC got hot and had some mo' on their side.
I don't know, when the inside game is relying on Bynum... it seems to disappear pretty quickly too

I don't doubt Westbrook easily has the ability to shoot his team out of games though, so yea, the Lakers can get back into this one.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Damn the Lakers are getting embarrassed and the sad thing is Mike Brown is one of the worst besides Eric Spolestra at making in game adjustments. Where's their pride? There doesn't seem like there's a sense of urgency of making it respectable let alone coming back. I guess we'll have to steal Game 2.

Last edited by clpassenubye; 05-14-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Yea this is over, I don't see a comeback happening this game.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by Osamu
. As much as I want to see the Clips/Lakers WCF, it would take some major upsets, and if by some miracle the Clips get past the Spurs, they've actually had more success against the Thunder in the regular season, so I'd almost be just tempted to see that matchup in the playoffs.
The Clippers are a mirage they had a good season especially for by their standards unfortunately they will never win a championship not until Sterling is gone because Karma is a bitch and he's what's holding them back. Don't be surprised when their success is short lived just like the early 2000's I give them another 2 years of decent ball if that and then they will revert back to their old selves.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Yea this is over, I don't see a comeback happening this game.

Hope they come up with a better game plan or energy for game 2.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Drifting

The Clippers are a mirage they had a good season especially for by their standards unfortunately they will never win a championship not until Sterling is gone because Karma is a bitch and he's what's holding them back. Don't be surprised when their success is short lived just like the early 2000's I give them another 2 years of decent ball if that and then they will revert back to their old selves.
please stop trying to predict the future, especially based on their history. Maybe that's one of my pet peeves, but I hear it so much with regards to the clips. Obviously the Clippers success all hinges on the decisions (and health) of Chris Paul, so I can't definitively say they'll continue to build on this season. At least, all signs so far all signs point to them being able to hang on to Blake (no rookie has ever turned down a max contract offer, him leaving after next year is NOT going to happen) and hopefully CP. CP has had some success this year, and it would take an epic collapses by the Clips next year for him not to want to come back.

Sterling has spent money like never before (almost reached luxury tax level this season), when in the past was almost never even near the cap. I'll admit I wouldn't be surprised if the clips do have limited success, but really what's the point in saying they're going to fail again? Just to make yourself feel better as a Lakers fan?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, that last call almost looked a deja vu moment of last year when Bynum got ejected.

It's Game 1 LA. No need to start getting that frustrated....

Edit* He must have had a some choice words in that scuffle. I'm surprised he got ejected since he didn't seem to do anything but push an OKC player back off his teammate.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-14-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Just tuned in....

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Yeah.. so the Lakers didn't show up to play tonight... getting blown out by thirty is just embarrassing.

Well, here's to hoping the Clippers put up a better fight against the Spurs.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
It's over for both LA teams.

The old ass Spurs will take it.

OKC VS Lakers I say 4-2

Spurs Clippers 4-1
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Wow, that last call almost looked a deja vu moment of last year when Bynum got ejected.

It's Game 1 LA. No need to start getting that frustrated....

Edit* He must have had a some choice words in that scuffle. I'm surprised he got ejected since he didn't seem to do anything but push an OKC player back off his teammate.
with your edit. Don't want to sound like a homer, but I haven't liked any of the officiating for both this series and the Denver series. Seems like its against the Lakers....ya, I'm probably being a homer.

What really happened is that the Lakers got caught by the young team on a mission, with 9 days of rest.

The Lakers are a smart team. Don't know if we necessarily have a smart coach, but I expect better ball from them next game.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by Osamu
please stop trying to predict the future, especially based on their history. Maybe that's one of my pet peeves, but I hear it so much with regards to the clips. Obviously the Clippers success all hinges on the decisions (and health) of Chris Paul, so I can't definitively say they'll continue to build on this season. At least, all signs so far all signs point to them being able to hang on to Blake (no rookie has ever turned down a max contract offer, him leaving after next year is NOT going to happen) and hopefully CP. CP has had some success this year, and it would take an epic collapses by the Clips next year for him not to want to come back.

Sterling has spent money like never before (almost reached luxury tax level this season), when in the past was almost never even near the cap. I'll admit I wouldn't be surprised if the clips do have limited success, but really what's the point in saying they're going to fail again? Just to make yourself feel better as a Lakers fan?
Failure is business as usual for the Clippers I'm just pointing that out. It doesn't make me feel better as a Laker fan but it does make me feel better as a person not to support a sorry ass owner like Sterling who is a slumlord, racist and liar but to each their own.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

with your edit. Don't want to sound like a homer, but I haven't liked any of the officiating for both this series and the Denver series. Seems like its against the Lakers....ya, I'm probably being a homer.

What really happened is that the Lakers got caught by the young team on a mission, with 9 days of rest.

The Lakers are a smart team. Don't know if we necessarily have a smart coach, but I expect better ball from them next game.
Yeah A young team @ Home too. Guys have to step up every game not just every other game or game 7 (Steve Blake) we need as many offensive threats as possible to spread the defense out but this game and several in the Denver series some guys just disappear and if that happens series the Lakers fate is sealed.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Failure is business as usual for the Clippers I'm just pointing that out. It doesn't make me feel better as a Laker fan but it does make me feel better as a person not to support a sorry ass owner like Sterling who is a slumlord, racist and liar but to each their own.
yea maybe I do do my best to ignore the shortcomings of Mr. Sterling, and try to just focus on the players on the court. He is definitely a tough person to know is running your franchise, and I have on many occasion stated that I am happy to know that I should outlive Mr. Sterling. That being said, I do appreciate he has been opening his wallet, and has certainly committed to keeping the Clips in Los Angeles, when I'm sure there's been plenty of people stating he should take his team elsewhere. It's not like most sports franchise owners are all squeaky clean. Dr. Buss certainly has less flaws, but not exactly a model citizen. Sarver and Gilbert and constantly making the news (especially during the lockout) for the wrong reasons. I think Sterling's failures as a person are magnified by his failures to produce a winning franchise, and maybe if he had 17 championships on the wall, people wouldn't be nitpicking him for taking advise from a prostitute. Oh well, I just try not to think about it, haha.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

D-Rose out 8-12 months...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...hs-acl-surgery
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM
failhard.

A more tangible timetable is around or after the All-Star break, or possibly during the first round of playoffs next year -- If the Bulls make it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

A more tangible timetable is around or after the All-Star break, or possibly during the first round of playoffs next year -- If the Bulls make it.
And IMO, it won't be 2013-2014 season when Rose gets back to being the Rose we all know.

There goes next season.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

The LeHeat lost.
The following users liked this post:
AnthraciteAspec (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Didn't watch the game. Looks like I didn't miss much.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I guess Granger was right.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Miami.. wtf...

Quick Reply: NBA: 2011-2012 Season News and Discussion Thread