Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2011-2012 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Kind of bugs me that Barkley & them have already completely thrown out the Lakers, even though it does look that way.

But, it's not like the Lakers are coming from a 0-3 deficit. 1-3 comebacks have been done before. It was done in '06 & '03 and the Lakers have been one of those teams, bar that it was in 1970.
Barkley never chooses the Lakers. He chose them early on in the series, but he jumped ship. I used to think he had something against the Lakers (I think he kinda does) but I think he's more of an underdog lover....

FWIW, the series could have EASILY been 3-1 Lakers. Boneheaded plays at the end of the game are what cost the Lakers.

The Lakers have essentially played 46 minutes of good basketball in 2 of the 3 games they have lost.

The narrative was that the Lakers were gonna get their behinds kicked. However, it really hasn't been that bad except for game 1.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Barkley never chooses the Lakers. He chose them early on in the series, but he jumped ship. I used to think he had something against the Lakers (I think he kinda does) but I think he's more of an underdog lover....

FWIW, the series could have EASILY been 3-1 Lakers. Boneheaded plays at the end of the game are what cost the Lakers.

The Lakers have essentially played 46 minutes of good basketball in 2 of the 3 games they have lost.

The narrative was that the Lakers were gonna get their behinds kicked. However, it really hasn't been that bad except for game 1.
could of should have....Maybe. But EASILY??? No... That is obvious OKC is kreptonite to the Lakers and their SUPERMAN.

No disrespect to your fan heart or evaluation to what u see... Just what I see is what EVERYONE ELSE SEES also. I could be wrong but doubt it...

lol JK
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JayVee
could of should have....Maybe. But EASILY??? No... That is obvious OKC is kreptonite to the Lakers and their SUPERMAN.

No disrespect to your fan heart or evaluation to what u see... Just what I see is what EVERYONE ELSE SEES also. I could be wrong but doubt it...

lol JK
Well, now you're splitting hairs, lol. No disrespect taken. Still stand by my assessment though...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Well, now you're splitting hairs, lol. No disrespect taken. Still stand by my assessment though...
lol...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I would like to add boneheaded coaching to this because I have seen several times when adjustments could be made but Brown has failed to do anything and thus the boneheaded plays.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

lol JK
OKC is a good team and so are the Lakers but the differences are the Lakers have a new system and coaching staff (one that isn't very good) but to give them the benefit of the doubt they haven't had as much time as they would had this been a regular season. OKC on the other hand has had the same coaching staff and same system for the last 3-4 years. I wouldn't say that they are Kryptonite to the Lakers because if they were then the last 3 games wouldn't have even been so close or they probably would have swept the Lakers.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by clpassenubye
OKC is a good team and so are the Lakers but the differences are the Lakers have a new system and coaching staff (one that isn't very good) but to give them the benefit of the doubt they haven't had as much time as they would had this been a regular season. OKC on the other hand has had the same coaching staff and same system for the last 3-4 years. I wouldn't say that they are Kryptonite to the Lakers because if they were then the last 3 games wouldn't have even been so close or they probably would have swept the Lakers.
^ I take that into consideration and raise the bet to, Kryptonite to me... One game is not gonna cut it. Monday (tonight) Lakers off season begins. Then they can figure out all the MIKE BROWN stuff.

...............and forever STOP saying KOBE BRYANT's name with freaking MICHAEL "The BADDEST MUTHAFUCKER" JORDAN! ~ Gosh I hate that! Kobe is Kobe, one of the GREATEST! But not to be compared to THE GREATEST...(or arguably top 2-3 when Kobe falls possibly 4-5 or even 6 ALL TIME Greatest)

Last edited by JayVee; 05-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Why would you bring that up? Most of us here have gotten that past that along time ago.

Jordan is great. But he's a great amongst great. Let's not disrespect Kareem, Dr. J, The Big O, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Bill Russell, Jerry West, Wilt. All of them have legit arguments to the throne. Just because people haven't seen them play, or didn't have a huge shoe contract doesn't mean they weren't great or better.

let's leave Kobe alone already and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 05-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Why would you bring that up? Most of us here have gotten that past that along time ago.

Jordan is great. But he's a great amongst great. Let's not disrespect Kareem, Dr. J, The Big O, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Bill Russell, Jerry West, Wilt. All of them have legit arguments to the throne. Just because people haven't seen them play, or didn't have a huge shoe contract doesn't mean they weren't great or better.

let's leave Kobe alone already and enjoy the ride.
+1 IDK anyone here...But just saying IN GENERAL how even ESPN and media of all sorts compare or bring up within the same sentence their 2 names mainly, Kobe compared to MJ... No one elses name u mentioned above...Am I correct?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

I don't see what's wrong with making the comparison then. Its not as much as a travesty as its made out to be. There is precedent for the comparison. Jordan and Dr. J were always compared early on, as they should have been.

In anything, comparisons with most recent previous generations will be made until forever. Fact is, Jordan isn't incomparable as he's made out to be by anyone 35 and younger. If they don't compare 6'6 shooting guard Michael Jordan to a 6'7" shooting guard that's also a fiery competitor, with multiple championships, and a knack for making creative, acrobatic shots in game, then who are they going to compare him to?

Shaq was compared to Wilt, Lebron to Jordan and Magic, Nowitzki to Bird, etc. It just happens.

Only Larry Bird and to a lesser degree, Magic Johnson were seen as unique and unprecedented. Magic had the Big O to be compared to somewhat, but Oscar Robertson was nowhere near as paradigm shifting or charismatic as Magic.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Jordan and Dr. J were always compared early on, as they should have been.
That is my point ^ ... But, U do have very good points and I will end this debate (like politics & religion) alone with commenting my to your

Comparison I guess is not my argument and my bad for wording it wrong. My argument is more to where "MEDIA" and followers alike say KOBE will surpass MJ before his career is through in matching # of rings and all other alike statistical ways.... Eh Eh No! (FACT!) < Eve Magic agreed to that nonsense. LOL!

Last edited by JayVee; 05-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

No problem here., its no big, brotha....

I just don't think Jordan is as incomparable as people make him out to be. Still the best shooting guard ever, but greatest ever? Maybe the talking heads say he's the best nowadays because they are the ones that once played him. However, I distinctly remember hearing guys before the Jordan era, that played against the players I mentioned, saying they were the best ever.

I guess if you play the best ever, its a bit of an ego boost that your generation is the best.

BTW, Kobe's not even the best Laker, IMO. Kobe's still great, though.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 05-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

BTW, Kobe's not even the best Laker, IMO. Kobe's still great, though.
OMG!!!

Case closed... With that being said, That says EVERYTHING! Because there were approx. at least 3+ before him...Preech it brotha!
The following users liked this post:
CarbonGray Earl (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
in class, i googled Former NBA players where are they at now and here is what i found.

http://blog.shamsports.com/2011/04/w...okkeeping.html

Desmond Mason - Desmond Mason now works in a bank. Could imagine him as a teller lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

shandon anderson wearing skirts....
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

If I had to start a team my first pick would be Magic Johnson over any oher player in the history of the NBA because that guy is a winner at every stage of his basketball career, he could play all positions if needed and he has transitioned that winning attitude to his business career.
CarbonGray Earl (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Kinda reminiscent of 1999, where a fairly old team led by David Robinson and 1 young Timmay Duncan won the 'asterisk' title. They peaked at what would normally be the very end of a season, before playoffs.

^ sounds like the medias bandwagon expectations. = Unrealistic expectations. LeHeat are GOOD and can even be the best in the league. I truly feel LJ and DW need more chemistry. CONSISTENT CHEMISTRY and not these spurts of ESPN hi-lights every other week of SUPERMEN plays and blowing out teams.
Yep, they need someone else to step up and contribute, UD did OK for one game but OKC has had Harden step up on numerous occasions and even Bledsoe steps up for LAC.

at the same time...Don't forget about WESTBROOK. Dude is sick! And has been UNSTOPPABLE these series, PERIOD! Best Duo in the NBA! The league is in trouble when u have a 2 guys on one team who each score 22-25pts avg... And in this last game 30+pts each. (Never done since the late 90s with Jordan/Pipen Batman and Robin Duo...) Very impressive! Can't wait for SPURS vs OKC... Assumed to be the best CONF. Championship in a long time.
Hopefully will be awesome 7 game series. I'd rather watch the WCF than the NBA Finals unless Bosh makes a speedy recovery.

Last edited by Dr. Colorado; 05-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,723 Likes on 13,935 Posts
Magic clean house. Smith and Van Gundy are out. Congrats, Howard...you get your way.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I think they got rid of the wrong people. They should've gotten rid of Howard. Imo.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Magic clean house. Smith and Van Gundy are out. Congrats, Howard...you get your way.
Let's see what kind of other moves they make this offseason that's what it all comes down to.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
I think they got rid of the wrong people. They should've gotten rid of Howard. Imo.
Werd. Hey J, what do you think about Howard to MIA for Wade and Bosh? I read some yahoo article mentioning trade and that guy was on crck, but then I thought about LBJ and Howard together and how devastating that inside-outside game would be.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts

I agree & I just can't stand watching the media act like the OKC have been winning by large margins during the Playoffs (beside Game 1 of the Lakers). If you recap, anyone will see they've only managed to win by a few points within' the last few seconds only because KD can be a clutch player when he wants to. But that's always been within' the last minute, not during an entire 4th QTR like Nowitzki, Bryant, or Parker & Duncan. And I do believe OKC has had some luck on their side because both Dallas & LA made crucial mistakes during the end of a couple games. I can not see San Antonio doing that.

I honestly am not sure OKC will get a Game 7 out of San Antonio. The Texas boys are just way too experienced & will know exactly how to handle Harden & Westbrook. In fact, because Westbrook is such a hot head, I won't be surprised if he gets himself thrown out while San Antonio walks away with a technical in any altercation.

Spurs in 6 at best.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-21-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Werd. Hey J, what do you think about Howard to MIA for Wade and Bosh? I read some yahoo article mentioning trade and that guy was on crck, but then I thought about LBJ and Howard together and how devastating that inside-outside game would be.
Never. If that were to happen I'd just be torn and be a bulls fan to let d-torn ACL-rose score a billion points on everybody.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think they should have fired Otis Smith years ago after that Rashard Lewis/Gilbert Arenas debacle. SVG being out is unfortunate, though.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
failhard.

I don't wanna admit it, but if this keeps up .. it seems like Philly might get an "easy" ride to the ECFs, with both their opponents having injuries to such important players. There's Rose, Noah, Bradley, Green, Wilcox, O'Neal all out; then there's Deng, Hamilton, Pierce, Allen, Stiemsma playing through their injuries. I really hope Boston can win this series, but right now, it just doesn't look good.

At least KG is keeping the C's alive. I love that man.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by asianspec
Agree... I could not stand that schmuck attitude and mockery he did to SVG in front of the cameras when interviewing regarding the "FIRING" quotes by DH... How he came up putting his arm around SVG mocking him and everything about it and trying to put him on blast. Love his game... Never cared for his wanna be humor.

Originally Posted by surfer rick
I personally, feel that is not to far fetched. I know for a fact LOTS to everyone else will disagree regarding the subject alone DW being traded. I for one, see it being possible since he is the thing of the past and usually that is how it goes when looking fwd and to the future. I just feel they are going to shock most during the off season. Watch Out!

Originally Posted by mystikk
I think they should have fired Otis Smith years ago after that Rashard Lewis/Gilbert Arenas debacle. SVG being out is unfortunate, though.
GREAT freakin coach! Period! Bad move.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
I honestly am not sure OKC will get a Game 7 out of San Antonio. The Texas boys are just way too experienced & will know exactly how to handle Harden & Westbrook. In fact, because Westbrook is such a hot head, I won't be surprised if he gets himself thrown out while San Antonio walks away with a technical in any altercation.
Wow... 1st qtr 6:41 left into the daym game and u called that one on the head!!! T'd off for talking shyt to the ref in a missed transition fast break expecting the foul and delay of game on RW for kicking the ball to the sidelines... Good Call! LAKERS need this help from OKC to shoot themselves in the foot to win IMO. But other then that, if RW gets cool and plays ball, its over. But we will see, things just getting started and heated...And KOBE "Black Mamba" seems to be finding a slight grove already taking advantage of the situation from OKC/RW
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
damn such an intense game right now!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
failhard.

Damn, this was quick. This was barely 1.5 quarters ago.

Anyway, as an OKC fan .. this was such a bullshit call. There's this and the refs handing Kobe's 3rd foul in the 1st to Jordan Hill instead. Horribad officiating here.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,423 Posts
you gotta feel good for Derek Fisher tho
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM
I shoot people

so now I have to choose to team to root for (since both LA teams are out, not that they really had a chance)...

I'm going to go with Thunder (also because Kevin Durant is a Longhorn )

and it's cool... we saw a little love there between Harden and MWP
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 PM
failhard.

2 of my 4 teams are still in. I think OKC vs SA will be better than the NBA Finals.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

cool for D. fish. He was still done wrong by the Lakers. Westbrook is one cocky SOB, but he's from LA, which is cool. Harden is from LA and from ASU, so I'm cool with him continuing as well. Kudos to them.

I'm cool with the Lakers losing. This season just flat-out started wrong, and the Lakers have been basically scrambling to recover from the weirdness of the Cp3 transaction.

I thnk Pau's gone, but he's got tons of trade value. So its important they parlay this into something good.

Its time to load up for next years full season.

Maybe me, Yum, and the other guys can start an 2012 offseason thread already, lol...the gone fishing thread...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I will start the 2013 season. If the early prognosis for D-Rose sticks, the guy's going to be out for the majority of next season. And who knows if the Bulls will be in the playoffs?

Besides, the LeHeat are gonna win next year's Title anyhow.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

'gonna win'? You're slipping Yum, they've already won.

You are such a hater.
Yumcha (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator

'gonna win'? You're slipping Yum, they've already won.

You are such a hater.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 PM
failhard.

RIDICULOUS. I was jumping out of my seat when I saw this.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I shoot people

Doom878 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

So far, the West still looks to go through San Antonio.

The Title? Of course, LeMiami.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2011-2012 Season News and Discussion Thread