Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2010 Season News and Discussion Thread **Dallas Wins Title 4-2 (page 84)**

Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Something their scouting and management liked to start. I think I trust them more than AZ.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
RE: Boozer vs. Bosh....

I think Boozer would have fit great on Miami. He's a little more rugged and dirty, and I think he would have embraced being the tough guy to Miami's flashy perimeter.

Bosh didn't figure things out til later in the season. Either way, being able to say that even with different players, the Heat can be just as good, says more about the Lebron/Wade combo than it does about the players in question....they'd be pretty damn good either way.

The value of each player is really dependent upon whether they find their niche with the people they play with. Bosh eventually found it. Neither dominates a game or offensive system...even Bosh get his looks off of the spacing the other create, and Boozer may do the same or get more rebounds. Different types, possibly same result.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Good I'm glad we retired Snaq. He was done a whiles back.
The Lakers, and Miami were right to let him go when they did. Everything after that was just Snaq Shenanigans.

How the F did he convince Boston he could still play is beyond me....and the Phoenix trying to slow things up was like wasting a year of Steve Nash's career.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Its time that Shaq leaves basketball behind.

From what I watched last night, Miami's defense is just too much for Dallas. And honestly, with Miami all you need is 1 of their 3 stars to take over and the game stays competitive until the 4th quarter when Miami's athleticism takes over.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
Let me preface my statements by saying I'm not a LeBron ... I appreciate his talent but I think he has a long way to go and is not utilizing his full potential.

I hear this a lot but I feel like I'm the only person that feels like LeBron (or any other dominating player) doesn't HAVE to win 6 rings in order to take MJ's crown as the best player ever. If LeBron won 3, 4, or 5 (3 might not cut it) rings and continued to be a dominating presence as he currently is I feel like he would be right in the discussion. I just don't think that the league lends itself to teams winning multiple championships and that a great player shouldn't be penalized for it. I just think a lot more than rings factor into a players greatness, but feel that so many people argue that "6 rings at least." For example, I love Kobe but I don't think that Kobe would be the best player ever even if he ends up with 7 or 8 rings. He simply, in my eyes, didn't/doesn't dominate the game like MJ did. I think LeBron has a better chance to do this (even though he's not there yet) and if he reaches his potential as a player and wins 4 or 5 rings that he would be in the discussion. I just don't understand this "LeBron HAS to get AT LEAST 6 rings to even be considered" argument.

I also think that NO PLAYER is EVER going to be able to steal the throne from MJ... MJ is idolized as a great player and I don't think that today it would be possible for another player to reach that level. I think there's just too much critizism, public opinion, and media coverage today for another player to be able to reach the level that MJ reached. MJ was loved in almost an uncanny way and while I think that he's the most dominating athlete in sports history it's almost strange the way that he is perceived. I honestly don't think any other player has a chance to steal the throne from him because he's almost "monopolized" the market... does that make sense?

Just trying to get a discussion going... this topic intrigues me.
Let's get something straight there is no player in the NBA currently that can steal the throne from Jordan not Kobe not Lebron not Durant or Rose.

I say this because Jordan was superior in most statistical categories over these players, he groomed Pippen into the player he became if Pippen would have stayed in Seattle he would have never been as good as he turned out to be. Jordan globalized the NBA like no other before or since.

Unlike Lebron, Jordan didn't feel the need to go to another team with 2 other stars because he was continually being defeated and beaten by the likes of the Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons the latter having instituted rules just for playing him.

Lebron is not as likable as Jordan . Again Jordan played in a much tougher NBA than the soft watered down NBA we currently have.

Lebron is a great player and he will be the first Lebron instead of the 2nd Jordan and he will have his place in the history of the game no matter how many championships he wins.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i hate mj and lebron equally, both with a passion for my own reasons.

mj is the greatest to ever play. it's amazing with what kobe has accomplished and the years that he's played, that mj's stats are still so much greater. i believe that kobe is the closest that we'll ever come the the "next mj," fwiw. nobody else was ever even really close.

nobody laughs anymore when mj and kobe are compared, although nobody really thinks that kobe is better. kobe is a better pure shooter, and i don't want to hear the argument that their 3-point %'s are similar. kobe's taken 3x the amount of 3-point shots when i checked a while ago.

lebron is the closest to a 1-man team i've ever seen in the nba. 1-man teams will never win an nba championship but lebron, like iverson in 2001, at least got the cavs to the finals in 2007. any nba team with lebron has a chance to win.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Can't wait to see Shaq next to Chuck and Kenny, that should be hilarious.

Oh and I'm not going to even get into the Bosh vs Boozer debate, and Lebron will never be Jordan. Lebron will be Lebron. Duh!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Can't wait to see Shaq next to Chuck and Kenny, that should be hilarious.

Oh and I'm not going to even get into the Bosh vs Boozer debate, and Lebron will never be Jordan. Lebron will be Lebron. Duh!
Poor Kobe and Lebron. Sequels are never as good as the first.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
BTW, the Most Dominant Ever is retiring.

Video announcement here: http://www.tout.com/m/9944wo
It's about time!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
damn "Heat fans" are turning into Laker fans

funny thing is, I was a Lakers fan but I hated how the Lakers put together that "superteam" with Malone and Payton in 03. I think that's when I really became a diehard clippers fan, although I followed the clippers pretty close since they got Miles and Richardson.

So you can guess how I feel about the HEAT.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by Osamu
funny thing is, I was a Lakers fan but I hated how the Lakers put together that "superteam" with Malone and Payton in 03. I think that's when I really became a diehard clippers fan, although I followed the clippers pretty close since they got Miles and Richardson.

So you can guess how I feel about the HEAT.
Sorry to say that was no Superteam in 03 you had Malone literally on his last leg Gary Payton a shadow of his shadow, that was a bad attempt of a superteam even though they went to the Finals. The Lakers could have plugged some other journeyman players in Malone's and Payton's spots and still got as far because their nucleus of the championship teams was together.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Dallas still has a good chance at winning this series but in order to do that they have to rebound better than they did last night if they lose the rebound game will lose the series.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clpassenubye
Sorry to say that was no Superteam in 03 you had Malone literally on his last leg Gary Payton a shadow of his shadow, that was a bad attempt of a superteam even though they went to the Finals. The Lakers could have plugged some other journeyman players in Malone's and Payton's spots and still got as far because their nucleus of the championship teams was together.
i remember thinking that while they were in the twilight of their careers, they were still giving the lakers a huge discount and bringing their "talents" to LA, just to win a championship. Even at that time, they were probably an upgrade over Fisher, Horry, Walker, and the rest of the guys playing around Shaq/Kobe, which were already coming off 3 championships in a row. Yes, they weren't superstars anymore, but they were a definite upgrade to a team already the favorite to win it all. Not only that, but just something about players deciding to team up, rather than the GM or front office making moves to make it to happen, just doesn't sit right with me.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
It's more than just finding their shots. They need to figure out how to stop Wade/Lebron in the 4th quarter when they take over games..
Most definitely. Mavs need to play the 4th like they try to play the 1st quarters.
Originally Posted by milellie111
What the freak Mavs, were you guys snorting coke or something when you got off the plane headed to south beach? What kind of pathetic showing was that last night in game 1 of the finals? Yea, just let Lequeen and his 2 stooges walk their way to the ring, that's how you show the world you can sweep the Lakers and then lay an egg in the biggest game of your lives!
Wouldn't be Dallas without some choking.

As much as I do like the Mavs & their chance to win, I gotta a feeling it's still Heat in 5. Mavs can't make any mistakes & all through the series, they have still done so. I was wrong about the Lakers taking the Mavs in 5, but I think that had to do more with the Lakers towards the end than us. Not seeing LeBron/Wade doing that, esp. when they're so good in the 4th quarters.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Let's get something straight there is no player in the NBA currently that can steal the throne from Jordan not Kobe not Lebron not Durant or Rose.

I say this because Jordan was superior in most statistical categories over these players, he groomed Pippen into the player he became if Pippen would have stayed in Seattle he would have never been as good as he turned out to be. Jordan globalized the NBA like no other before or since.

Unlike Lebron, Jordan didn't feel the need to go to another team with 2 other stars because he was continually being defeated and beaten by the likes of the Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons the latter having instituted rules just for playing him.

Lebron is not as likable as Jordan . Again Jordan played in a much tougher NBA than the soft watered down NBA we currently have.

Lebron is a great player and he will be the first Lebron instead of the 2nd Jordan and he will have his place in the history of the game no matter how many championships he wins.
That's basically what I said... you're proving the point I was trying to make. People LOVE Jordan, and he's so idolized that I don't feel that anyone would be able to steal his throne, even if they managed to be deserving... If some player DID manage to have a career that could best Jordan's I STILL don't think they would have a chance to steal his throne because I don't think it would be possible for a player to reach the same level as Jordan in the minds of society. Even if they were deserving statistically, I don't think it will be done.

However, I think Lebron could have a shot of having a more successful career than Jordan did. At least, I think he did before he joined the Heat. He will have a much more difficult time now that he's with Wade and Bosh. BUT, when he was in Cleveland he was really unbelievable... He did more with less than anyone ever has. I don't believe the NBA has ever seen a player with the talent that Lebron had... I saw a statistic somewhere that said if for the rest of his career Lebron plays at 80% of the level that he played at his first 7 years in Cleveland then he will ANNIHILATE just about every player's statistical records... it's a great statistic... I wish I could remember the specifics. Anyway, my point is that Lebron is capable of having a statistically better career than Jordan...but he won't steal the throne.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Interestingly, I think Lebron is more like Magic....and I think magic is a better than Jordan. On physical attributes alone, magic/lebron have an edge.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
You guys need to clarify better, most accomplished, greatest of all time etc. You could easily argue that Magic had more overall skill due to his size and able to play any position for many years. Clearly Magic and LeBron are/were better rebounders than MJ for example which is why the Magic/Lebron comparison make sense. But then Jordan has more scoring titles and rings. That's why saying stuff like better is hard to distinguish. Think about Shaq who is considered Most Dominant. It's a really gray topic.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,946 Likes on 14,061 Posts
I think MJ was also better defensively than Magic...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

But, I agree...LeBron is better than Wayne Gretzky, Jim Brown, Michael Jordan, and Sandy Koufax put together.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Lebron is the great.. I thought everyone knew that

no one is or will be better then LBJ #23 I mean #6
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

His name will become a verb.

"My God girl...that was so Lebroning!"

...or "Holy crap! That's just fawking Lebron!"...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

But, honestly...he's won dick. I don't see the need for comparisons.

This version of the NBA versus the NBA alot of us grew up watching...? So different. Honestly, I think MJ et al would've eaten His LeBronness for lunch.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
MJ would have slapped LBJ with his penis

Yummy that was lebrontanious....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

You guys need to clarify better, most accomplished, greatest of all time etc. You could easily argue that Magic had more overall skill due to his size and able to play any position for many years. Clearly Magic and LeBron are/were better rebounders than MJ for example which is why the Magic/Lebron comparison make sense. But then Jordan has more scoring titles and rings. That's why saying stuff like better is hard to distinguish. Think about Shaq who is considered Most Dominant. It's a really gray topic.
However, regarding rings, there are 2 points that I think can be mentioned in a debate on this.

1) 'Rings' aren't an exact measure of individual excellence. Jordan has 6 because as an organization or team, the Bulls were the best that year. Its a indicator of an organization's greatness....

2) We can't forget that Jordan didn't have a Larry Bird. Its as if Jordan and Kobe played in the same era. You can either look at it as Magic was in an era of great competition or Jordan was unrivaled.

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I think MJ was also better defensively than Magic...
Both Magic and Jordan benefited from having the greatest perimeter defenders of their time in both Pippen and Cooper. Pip or Cooper usually took those players that Magic or Jordan couldn't....

Its usually said that Magic's strength, defensively was that he was a great team defender...just like his offensive game. He wasn't as good on an individual level, but he put people in the right place to get stops or steals that led to fastbreaks.

Those Laker teams were some of the best defensive teams in the history of the NBA.

----

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jordan isn't great or greatest ever....I think he's ONE of the greatest ever, along side these other guys. Appreciate em all...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Okay...I'll say this:

I generally don't like to compare the ELITE greats with other terrific potentially great players until the latter types achieve similar.

So, before the Miami guys think I'm piling on my continued hatred of their team and Lebron, they need to know what I'm basing it on. I agree Lebron is a rare player...but, for me, he is in the same category as a Malone, Iverson, Barkley, and etc. for now.

I'll change my tune if Miami wins multiple Titles and Lebron has a bunch of playoff MVPs...I dunno...is that fair...? Maybe not. But, at least it somehow makes the comparison more on par when we talk about peeps like Jordan, Bryant, and Johnson. At least that's how I think of it.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

^^true...there is no way that Lebron is up there w/ Magic, MJ, or Kobe....not yet at least.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
That's basically what I said... you're proving the point I was trying to make. People LOVE Jordan, and he's so idolized that I don't feel that anyone would be able to steal his throne, even if they managed to be deserving... If some player DID manage to have a career that could best Jordan's I STILL don't think they would have a chance to steal his throne because I don't think it would be possible for a player to reach the same level as Jordan in the minds of society. Even if they were deserving statistically, I don't think it will be done.

However, I think Lebron could have a shot of having a more successful career than Jordan did. At least, I think he did before he joined the Heat. He will have a much more difficult time now that he's with Wade and Bosh. BUT, when he was in Cleveland he was really unbelievable... He did more with less than anyone ever has. I don't believe the NBA has ever seen a player with the talent that Lebron had... I saw a statistic somewhere that said if for the rest of his career Lebron plays at 80% of the level that he played at his first 7 years in Cleveland then he will ANNIHILATE just about every player's statistical records... it's a great statistic... I wish I could remember the specifics. Anyway, my point is that Lebron is capable of having a statistically better career than Jordan...but he won't steal the throne.
Lebron is a great player but keep in mind one of the main reasons he will break a lot of records is because he will play more seasons than most of the players that set these records (barring serious injury) he came straight from high school and most of the record holders didn't.

As they say "records are made to be broken". Lebron's stats are great but they aren't unbelievable or anything like that, there's no doubt he will have a boat load of records when he retires but he will never be as good as Jordan its too late for that his career arc is lower than Jordans and Lebron is in his prime even now and this season he had career his lowest scoring avg since his rookie season, highest career turnovers per game, lowest assist total in the last 4 years of his career, lowest career blocks, my point is at 26 years old his career arc should still being going up not down.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

And one more thing is, as great as Lebron has been, I have not seen him just take over games like Jordan has...

Or did I just not watch Lebron play enough...?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Interestingly, I think Lebron is more like Magic....and I think magic is a better than Jordan. On physical attributes alone, magic/lebron have an edge.
^
I agree with you on Magic being better than Jordan but because of the unfortunate turn Magics career took because of getting Aids Jordan has the throne but if I had to start a team my first pick would be Magic not only because of his playing skills, he's very smart and also was a great leader.

I cringe when hear people compare Magic and Lebron because Lebron isn't a great leader, not nearly as smart as Magic on the court.

Last edited by clpassenubye; 06-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

How do you measure leadership on the court?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

^^Not sure you measure it as much as get a feel for it or watch the action. So the context is different....there is no statistical argument for leadership.

Don't know about Lebron's leadership, other than he left a team very willing to defer to him. Lots of those Cavs really looked up to him as the leader. I'm not knocking him for leaving, but he did leave some very supportive teammates. Ignoring what happened with the Cavs, in Miami, they seem to lead by a committee of 2: Wade and Lebron. I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen throughout the year, not because Lebron is bad at being a lead player, but because they both have been lead players.

With regards to Magic, by nature of his personality, he led on and off the court. We all knew he'd wave off Riley's plays very often to run his own stuff with the team. He directed traffic in the half court and we all know about his ability to lead a break. In his career from start to finish, if the team needed a basket, he was able to orchestrate it by scoring, drawing fouls, or passing to a hot teammate.

Jordan wasn't a leader IMO, until he started listening to Phil. Once he got on the same page with Phil, he was able to lead, using his offense when needed or passing it to teammates. On the court, he was just as effective as Magic, Larry, or whomever, at leading after listening to Phil. But he needed to be shown how to lead, as Kobe has, by Phil himself.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

^^Not sure you measure it as much as get a feel for it or watch the action. So the context is different....there is no statistical argument for leadership.

Don't know about Lebron's leadership, other than he left a team very willing to defer to him. Lots of those Cavs really looked up to him as the leader. I'm not knocking him for leaving, but he did leave some very supportive teammates. Ignoring what happened with the Cavs, in Miami, they seem to lead by a committee of 2: Wade and Lebron. I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen throughout the year, not because Lebron is bad at being a lead player, but because they both have been lead players.

With regards to Magic, by nature of his personality, he led on and off the court. We all knew he'd wave off Riley's plays very often to run his own stuff with the team. He directed traffic in the half court and we all know about his ability to lead a break. In his career from start to finish, if the team needed a basket, he was able to orchestrate it by scoring, drawing fouls, or passing to a hot teammate.

Jordan wasn't a leader IMO, until he started listening to Phil. Once he got on the same page with Phil, he was able to lead, using his offense when needed or passing it to teammates. On the court, he was just as effective as Magic, Larry, or whomever, at leading after listening to Phil. But he needed to be shown how to lead, as Kobe has, by Phil himself.
I thought LeBron did all that in Cleveland. Not sure about the waving coach plays off. The Magic comparisons I've heard are to his skill, not his leadership. Keep cringing CLPass.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Lebron should run for President when he retires. He'd bring peace to the Middle East and solve world hunger.

He should definitely take his services to the White House.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

The thing about leadership it's an intangible and great leaders lead on and off the court. There isn't a measurement tool but the best 2 words to that describe it in sports is: Winning championships.

Like CarbonGray Earl said the Heat don't seem to have a clear-cut leader both Lebron and D-Wade seem to share the role and that works for them.

Sometimes in life and in basketball it takes 2 to do the job of 1.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^ What about Bosh...? He's a quarter of a leader, right...?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

I thought LeBron did all that in Cleveland. Not sure about the waving coach plays off. The Magic comparisons I've heard are to his skill, not his leadership. Keep cringing CLPass.
Yeah we all know how things in Cleveland turned out.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Lebron should run for President when he retires. He'd bring peace to the Middle East and solve world hunger.

He should definitely take his services to the White House.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

Yeah we all know how things in Cleveland turned out.
Yeah he left. But that doesn't change his leadership when he was there good or bad. It simply ended.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Safety Car

Lebron may or may not have. I personally never said it was bad, but were comparing him to one of the greatest 'leaders' in NBA history. So it may not be bad, but he's no where near Magic as it stands right now or at the same points in their careers.

I do know that Magic however, lead a team of HOFs, the greatest scorer in NBA history, and not the scrubs Lebron left behind in Cleveland, who'd follow anyone, really.

Also, coming from a franchise with the illustrious history the Lakers had, being able to rise above even that and be seen as leader/orchestrator and one of their greatest ever teams carries some weight with regards to leadership. And that was from day 1, from both example and play.

But whatever, I'm a hater. I'm sure this translated to "Lebron sucks, and Lebron sucks some more..." even as I compare him to my greatest player ever. So be it....carry on...

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 06-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Eh. This MJ vs. LeBron debate has been a huge topic even on the sports radio stations I listen to every morning.

IMO, no one will ever be an MJ - he changed the game literally. And I don't care what anyone else says, MJ was the hungriest champion - his will and drive to do everything he can to win (both on and off the Court) is unmatched.

What makes LeBron so great is his physique. Dude is 6'8, built like a linebacker, and is faster then most point guards on the open floor. And remember, most people who get that tall don't have that coordination,speed or strength. Most turn out to be tall, lankey and skinny (aka look at Kevin Durant), or if they are more filled out, they're alot slower.

Either way, Heat should take Game 2 Tonight. All of these people are saying that an injury to the offhand won't affect Dirk... my ass it won't. I broke my left pinky finger (off hand) during highschool CIFs and I played with a splint during the finals (as PG). Everytime I crossed over to my left hand I had double teams and hard slaps coming at the ball and my hand. It didn't affect my shooting, but it sure as hell made handling the ball and going left alot harder.

If whoever defending Dirk is smart, he'll do the same - force him to go left and absolutely abuse him when the ball is in his left hand.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2010 Season News and Discussion Thread **Dallas Wins Title 4-2 (page 84)**