Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: 2008 Season Discussion Thread...

Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Wow. Steroid for Steroid.
You could argue ANY trade in baseball fits that description.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I always liked Pudge.

One of my favorite players.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Wow. Steroid for Steroid.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
THE LEAD'LL HOLD!

So, any predictions for tonight's game?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
So, any predictions for tonight's game?
Lloyd will be a stopper...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lloyd will be a stopper...
Who? This guy is your stopper?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Who? This guy is your stopper?

Oh shutup...you guys are countering with Hernandez. I think the ChiSox has a good chance tonight.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Boston got a hit

I think I would have if they didnt
I was listening to the game in the car yesterday, but was out of the car in the 9th and missed the rest of the game.

Saw the post here about Texiera but didn't realize he was going to the Angels until the announcer mentioned it during the game.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
101 years of heartache...

White Sox 8 Twinkies 1. A rare White Sox "HOORAY!" I feel bad for them, they never get the breaks in MIN.

Oh, and the Cubbies are beating the Brewers, again, 5-1
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Senior Moderator

for Dempster... @ Brew Crew...

for Floyd... @ Hernandez...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I don't think Manny will go to Florida but it's funny how guys like him and ARod get rumored to come here. I don't think we've had a big blockbuster midseason trade since Sheffield and that was like a million years ago. The team is usually built in the offseason and we'll acquire someone like Darren Daulton or Jeff Conine to get us over the hump.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
All your base belong to

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Griffey to the White Sox?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Benchwarmer

for Floyd... @ Hernandez...
I thought it was Lloyd.

The White Sox probably did us a favor by drilling Livan again. Liriano is all but called up now. But Casilla becomes the third Twin to go down with a finger injury sliding into a base. It's time they replaced those concrete bases with real ones.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by ZeroPSI
That's exactly what the White Sox need....another old, slow slugger with an uppercut swing playing mediocre defense.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM
on to the next one...

That's exactly what the White Sox need....another old, slow slugger with an uppercut swing playing mediocre defense.

He won't play for them tonight, will he?
I know I'll be there.

And yes, Livan needs to hang up his cleats.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NetEditor
Gives them help behind the plate and at the plate. And Farnsworth, although he's been doing well lately, always scares me. He's the AL version of Isringhausen.
i'm not sure how the yanks have pulled off these last 2 trades... pudge for a horribly inconsistent reliever. i'll take that.

on a side note, i feel bad for molina, i think he is one of the best catchers out there. he knows how to set up pitches, frame pitches, and throw people out... all things posada could never do. unfortunately his bat is weak.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878
I don't think Manny will go to Florida but it's funny how guys like him and ARod get rumored to come here. I don't think we've had a big blockbuster midseason trade since Sheffield and that was like a million years ago. The team is usually built in the offseason and we'll acquire someone like Darren Daulton or Jeff Conine to get us over the hump.
Darren Daulton

Forgot about that guy...last I heard he went crazy
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Not sure if he'll approve it or not
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Race Director

I wish the White Sox were going after Manny Ramirez instead.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I must say I'm really suprised that the METS haven't done anything yet. They could definitely use an outfielder and a good relief pitcher.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Marlins trade prospect Hernandez for left-hander Rhodes

ESPN reporting....

Marlins trade prospect Hernandez for left-hander Rhodes

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Rhodes has been traded by the Mariners to Florida for pitching prospect Gaby Hernandez.

On Wednesday, with the Mariners' game against the Rangers tied at 3, Rhodes (2-1) loaded the bases in the eighth with one-out walks to David Murphy, Josh Hamilton and Marlon Byrd, all on full counts.

After the go-ahead run scored, Rhodes was being removed from the game by manager Jim Riggleman. As he walked toward the dugout, Rhodes yelled at home plate umpire Paul Nauert because Rhodes didn't get two close pitches on 3-2 counts, and Nauert ejected Rhodes.

"You've got to make your calls out there," said Rhodes, who's been the subject of trade rumors. "I'm out there making good pitches, the ball's going over the plate, you should call it. But I have no comment over that."

Rhodes, in his 17th season, has a 2.86 ERA in 36 games for the Mariners this season. Left-handed hitters are hitting just .200 against him in 2008.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Wow Gaby Hernandez? They've talked about Rhodes for a few days as we needed left handed relief (who doesn't). Honestly, this move might have been more important getting Manny since our bullpen is our current weakness.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Post ChiSox Acquire Griffey Jr...

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Looks like it. BTW, say thanks to your Reds.

MINNEAPOLIS - The White Sox are awaiting approval from slugger Ken Griffey Jr. on a trade that would send the 13-time All-Star to Chicago from Cincinnati.

FOXSports.com and MLB.com are reporting that Griffey has approved the deal.

The 38-year-old Griffey, who has 608 career home runs, must approve the trade because he has veto rights by having at least 10 years of major league service, including more than the last five with the same team. He is batting .245 with 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 102 games for the Reds this season.

Associated Press reports that "a person with knowledge of the discussions says Griffey is seeking more information while considering his decision. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the teams aren't commenting, says Griffey wants answers to a few questions unrelated to his contract.

A source confirmed the proposed trade, which was first reported by FOXSports.com. It's believed that Cincinnati would receive prospects for Griffey, who would fortify the Sox's lineup and probably cut into the playing time of Nick Swisher and Paul Konerko.

CBSSports.com is reporting that the Sox would give up infielder Danny Richar and pitcher Nick Masset for Griffey Jr., and that Cincinnati would pay the remaining $4 million due on Griffey's contract.

The addition of Griffey would give the Sox a formidable left-handed bat in the middle of the order. With Jim Thome entrenched as the designated hitter, Griffey, who moved from center field to right field in 2007, could return to center despite his declining range. He'd be flanked by left fielder Carlos Quentin and right fielder Jermaine Dye.

That could mean that Swisher and Konerko, both hitting below .240 for most of this season, could share first base, with Swisher continuing to play some outfield.

The Sox may not be done. Executives from two teams said Wednesday night that Sox general manager Ken Williams was trying to acquire a reliever. Another source thought the Sox were trying to acquire closer Huston Street from Oakland but might have to surrender left-hander Aaron Poreda, their top pitching prospect and a Bay Area native.

Street, 24, won't be eligible for free agency until 2011.

If Griffey approves the trade, he would have a chance to reach the post-season for the first time since 1997 with Seattle. Griffey has never played in a World Series, and this could represent his final chance if the Sox reach the post-season.

The Sox had flirted with the idea of acquiring Griffey around the trading deadline three years ago.

Griffey is in the final year of a nine-year contract, with a club option for 2009 at $16.5 million or a $4 million buyout. The Reds are looking to retool their roster while being destined for a sub-.500 season in the National League Central.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Benchwarmer

He's already approved it. Just waiting for Selig's OK. I guess that means Griffey in center, Swisher/Konerko at first. I didn't think it was possible, but the White Sox are going to be even slower.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I must say I'm really suprised that the METS haven't done anything yet. They could definitely use an outfielder and a good relief pitcher.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded one or two of our relievers away. They've been talking a lot about Weathers, which is fine as long as we don't give up any of our youngsters...our bullpen has been a nice surprise this year.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

He's already approved it. Just waiting for Selig's OK. I guess that means Griffey in center, Swisher/Konerko at first. I didn't think it was possible, but the White Sox are going to be even slower.
Such a slow first place team...I know.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I think putting him in center is just asking for trouble. I mean, I think he's already detached every leg muscle he has...it's just a matter of time IMO.

But anyways, I love him as a player but I'm glad to see him gone...it just wasn't good for the team right now and in the future. It's been fun watching him for the past 8 years though...I'm glad we traded for him. Hope he can make a playoff run a few times before he retires.

Anybody know about these prospects we got?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM

The only problem I see with this is now Corey Patterson will get more playing time
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

DJ Gallo's humorous take at the trade rumors...

The trade deadline is only 48 hours away. Time is running out! There is no time to waste! Teams must act now! (Or they can just wait until after the trade deadline and deal for players who have passed through waivers. But it's more fun the other way.)

Here are all the latest trade rumors I am hearing as baseball approaches the 2008 trade "deadline."

Manny Ramirez on the block?

The Red Sox are listening to offers for Manny Ramirez. However, a deal is unlikely, as Ramirez might be asked to pass both a physical and a mental exam.

Possible A-Rod move?

Reports suggest Alex Rodriguez is interested in acquiring Debbie Gibson. But he may decide to go with a bit more age and experience and instead pursue '70s pop star Marie Osmond or maybe even Linda Ronstadt.

Player to be named later available?

Several teams are reportedly interested in dealing a player to be named later. It is unclear what this player could be named -- it could be anything from Kevin to Pedro to Martin -- but it is unlikely the player would be named something like Mindy or Cheryl.

Update: Someone named Sherrill available?

Different spelling, but I am now hearing the Orioles are offering up an attractive catch named Sherrill. Still no Mindy, though. Stay tuned.

Rays pursuing right-handed bat?

Tampa is said to be in the market for a right-handed bat, apparently unaware that bats are not manufactured for right- or left-handers; it simply depends on how you hold them.

Bronson Arroyo to Rockies?

The Reds and Rockies have discussed a deal that would send the starter to Colorado. Arroyo reportedly would welcome the move in the hopes he could get a gig at Red Rocks.

Molina to Yankees?

Brian Cashman has looked into acquiring Giants catcher Bengie Molina, brother of current Yankees catcher Jose Molina. But Hank Steinbrenner is pushing for character actor Alfred Molina, confident he can pull off Jorge Posada as well as he did Doc Ock.

Cubs looking to deal?

Now that Jeff Samardzija has arrived, the Cubs are looking to unload pitching. The Rays, Red Sox and Tigers have inquired about reliever Scott Eyre. Meanwhile, the Jaguars, Ravens and Bears have inquired about Samardzija.

Jarrod Washburn to the Yankees?

Negotiations are still ongoing between the Mariners and Yankees about veteran starter Jarrod Washburn. The Yankees are offering only a midlevel prospect in return, while the New York Post has offered to pick up the remainder of Washburn's contract in hopes of being able to run future headlines like "Wash(burn)ed Out" and "Jar-Rod Fails Like A-Rod."

Astros to be buyers at the deadline?

Despite sitting 10.5 games out of the wild-card spot in the National League, the Astros reportedly are looking to add talent to make a late-season push. Their wish list includes: a couple of good infielders, an outfielder, an established power bat, someone with speed, a quality right-handed starter, a quality left-handed starter, a long reliever, a set-up man, some bench depth, a catcher and maybe somebody who knows voodoo or black magic or something like that to help with all of the teams ahead of them in the standings.

Bidding wars developing?

According to the agents of several low-level talents, their clients are receiving heavy interest, and many teams are offering big-dollar, multiyear contract extensions as well. These agents say that any teams even remotely interested in their players should immediately make a trade offer that includes a huge contract offer. "Ask them to do it now! Please!" they tell me.

Rockies to be buyers at the deadline?

Though the Rockies sit nine games under .500, they may be looking to acquire talent to make a run in the moribund NL West. However, those plans could be foiled by Bud Selig, who is looking to trade the NL West for a quality minor league division.
Mark Teixeira on the block?

After being dealt before the deadline last year, Braves slugger Mark Teixeira says he is used to being on the block. "Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got. I'm still, I'm still Teixeira from the block," he said, aggressively shaking his ample butt. "Used to have a little, now I have a lot. No matter where I go, I know where I came from."

Yankees-Pirates trade in the works?

The Yankees and Pirates reportedly are close to a deal that would send Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospects. The trade would allow the Yankees to replenish their farm system and let Pittsburgh plug its recent holes in right field and in the bullpen.

Tigers looking for bullpen help?

Detroit is trying to bolster its bullpen in light of the recent injury to Joel Zumaya. They will take a left-hander or a right-hander, but not anyone who plays "Guitar Hero."

Miguel Tejada to the Red Sox?

The Red Sox are looking to acquire a shortstop and may have targeted Miguel Tejada of the Houston Astros. If Tejada goes to Boston, it is expected that his name will be expunged from the Mitchell report.

Cash considerations to be dealt?

Cash considerations is one of the most coveted properties on the trade market right now. Teams such as the Pirates and Royals are said to be offering quality veteran players in exchange for cash, which they plan to keep within the organization for years.

Yankees considering Barry Bonds?

The Yankees are still holding internal discussions about signing Barry Bonds. Hank Steinbrenner reportedly is intrigued by the idea of batting Bonds in front of Jason Giambi, a duo that produced back-to-back-to-back championships at the beginning of the decade for the BALCO slow-pitch softball team.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,952 Likes on 5,550 Posts
so wait, people are thinking Griffey Jr. to the CHISOX is going to be a bad thing? wtf
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by srika
so wait, people are thinking Griffey Jr. to the CHISOX is going to be a bad thing? wtf
I'm perfectly fine with it. Then again, I'm a Twins fan.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
Depends on how you look at it...Griffey Jr. is not the player he used to be. Not by a stretch. His mobility is non-existent due to all the back-breaking injuries he's gone through...

Does that mean this is a terrible trade for the ChiSox? I dunno...I don't think Williams gave up that much in Richar and Masset. And there's a good chance Griffey may have a renaissance as he's finally on a contending team instead of some BOTTOM-DWELLING STINKER OF A TEAM KNOWN AS THE CINCY REDS (y'hear that, Scottfart111...?!?!??)...

So, I don't think this would hurt the ChiSox and if anything Griffey is an upgrade over Paulie's struggles at the plate and would give the team a chance to platoon him and Swisher at 1st.

Of course, I'd be much more giddy if Williams got a nice pitcher...but, ah well.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

So much for the hyped match up of the Brewers stud pitchers against the Cubs...Let's count how many ways Milwaukee got in this 4 game series.

- Game 1: Lilly goes toe-for-toe with Fat@$$ Sabathia; Cubs win.
- Game 2: Brew gets Zambranowned.
- Game 3: Brew gets Dempstowned.
- Game 4: Brew about to get swept and are looking so far to be Hardowned.

@ Milwaukee...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
All your base belong to

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bookmarked this thread for later Yummy ownage.

How sweet it will be.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Bookmarked this thread for later Yummy ownage.

How sweet it will be.
I take it and dish it. Goes with the territory.

You forget the NFL team I cheer for and they got spanked alot last year.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM

The only problem I see with this is now Corey Patterson will get more playing time
good old KKKKKorey Patterson
Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Manny Ramirez traded to Dodgers in three-way deal

From ESPN...

Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox appears to be over.

A baseball source has confirmed Ramirez has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, ESPN.com has learned.

Jason Bay is going to Boston as part of the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. And the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as part of the three-way deal.

Third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris will go to the Pirates from the Dodgers. Outfielder Brandon Moss and right-handed pitcher Craig Hansen will leave the Red Sox orgianization for Pittsburgh, ESPN.com has learned.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM

Cubs 6-4 Brewers
Cubs 7-1 Brewers
Cubs 7-2 Brewers
Cubs 11-2? Brewers

The most well-played series I have ever seen, in my 20 years of being a fan. This was the biggest series of the season for BOTH teams, and we have learned who came with the goods. Cubs proved me wrong, proved themselves as a REAL contender now to go all the way. That was very, very impressive.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Race Director

how much better will the dodgers be with manny? kind of ironic that the former Yankee manager Torre is going manage one of the great Red Sox players.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by Mokos23
how much better will the dodgers be with manny? kind of ironic that the former Yankee manager Torre is going manage one of the great Red Sox players.
Manny will fit right into the laid back scene in LA. Probably arrive in the 3rd inning just like the crowd too.

Quick Reply: MLB: 2008 Season Discussion Thread...