Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gmsron
I'm not defending Cooke or his history. Just looking at the hit and showing you different ways of viewing it. And how it's not such a blatant elbow as people make it seem. Besidesssss.... McDonagh shouldn't have been admiring his pass

Agree to disagree. He should've been leading with his shoulder. And in the image I posted he extends and lifts his elbow only at the last second then after hitting the guy in the jaw he lowers it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
I kept quiet waiting for this:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8C1K

DETROIT -- Matt Cooke says he's taking his punishment and taking a look in the mirror.

The Pittsburgh Penguins left wing, whom the NHL suspended for the remainder of the regular season and the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs for elbowing defenseman Ryan McDonagh of the New York Rangers in the head Sunday, told reporters he's accepting the punishment and recognizes he must change the way he plays the game.

"I realize and understand, more so now than ever, that I need to change," Cooke said Monday night, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That's what I wanted my message to be."

Burnside: Cooke ruling now NHL standard

The NHL handed Matt Cooke a significant suspension Monday. The Pens supported it. Here's hoping this strong message isn't a one-time thing, writes Scott Burnside. Blog

• Suspensions involving hits to the head

"I'm fortunate that Ryan McDonagh wasn't hurt," Cooke said, according to the report. "I don't want to hurt anybody. That's not my intention. I know that I can be better.

"I made a mistake, and I'm the one who's accountable for that. And I take full responsibility for it."

It is Cooke's fifth suspension and the fourth since he signed with the Penguins in 2008. He was banned four games last month for hitting Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Fedor Tyutin from behind.

It was not immediately clear what Penguins owner and Hockey Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux thought of the suspension or Cooke's contrite response: Lemieux was not made available for comment Monday, according to Pittsburgh-area media reports.

Last month, Lemieux lashed out at the NHL for what he perceived to be insufficient discipline following a brawl-filled game between the Islanders and his Penguins. And before last week's NHL general managers meetings in Florida, Lemieux proposed tougher suspensions for players who cross the line -- and stiffer fines for their teams.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero supported the penalty the NHL gave Cooke, saying in a statement that the suspension was "warranted because that's exactly the kind of hit we're trying to get out of the game.

"Head shots have no place in hockey. We've told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message."

Cooke said he called Lemieux on Sunday, mindful of his owner's publicly stated position on illegal hits to the head, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"Everyone knows the short-term history that's gone on with Mario speaking and the backlash he received," Cooke said, according to the report."I just wanted him to know where I was coming from."

Cooke Suspension History

Matt Cooke was suspended for the rest of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs for his elbow to the jaw of the Rangers' Ryan McDonagh, but this wasn't his first time facing the league.
Date Reason Games
3/21/11 Elbow to jaw of Rangers' Ryan McDonagh 10, plus first round of playoffs
2/9/11 Hit from behind on Blue Jackets' Fedor Tyutin 4
11/29/09 Check to head of Rangers' Artem Anisimov 2
1/27/09 Hit to head of Hurricanes' Scott Walker 2
2/21/04 Spearing Wild's Matt Johnson 2

Some of the criticism pointed at Lemieux following his February statement blasting the NHL's discipline noted that his team employs Cooke.

Shero said the Penguins would rather help Cooke follow through on his stated intentions instead of cutting him loose, according to the Tribune-Review.

"I'd prefer to be part of the solution to rehabbing him as a player as opposed to making the decision to toss him overboard to be somebody else's problem and say, 'We did our part,' " Shero said, according to the report. "He's a value to our team when he plays hockey. For him to stay in the league and be a player in this league, he's going to have to do that."

The ruling followed a meeting between Cooke and NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell at the league office in Toronto on Monday.

"Mr. Cooke, a repeat offender, directly and unnecessarily targeted the head of an opponent who was in an unsuspecting and vulnerable position," Campbell said in a statement. "This isn't the first time this season that we have had to address dangerous behavior on the ice by Mr. Cooke, and his conduct requires an appropriately harsh response."

Cooke's unpenalized hit last season on Boston's Marc Savard started an uproar that led to the creation of a rule that bans blindside hits to the head. The rising rate of concussions in the NHL has the league on high alert and was the biggest topic of conversation at last week's general managers meetings.

Savard missed two months with a severe concussion and suffered post-concussion syndrome last summer.

"I think it's about time he gets [suspended]," Bruins forward Brad Marchand said. "He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and center. I expect he'll get a bunch of games. He's got to be taught a lesson. He can't be running around doing that stuff all the time. He's going to seriously hurt someone again -- look at Savvy. He could have easily hurt McDonagh."

Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby hasn't played since Jan. 5 because of a lingering concussion caused by hits to the head in successive games from Washington's David Steckel on Jan. 1 in the Winter Classic and Tampa Bay's Victor Hedman four days later.

Lemieux's complaints came after the Penguins and Islanders combined for 346 penalty minutes, 10 ejections, 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts on Feb. 11.

The Islanders had two players suspended for their actions, and the team was fined $100,000 for failing to maintain control. Pittsburgh avoided a fine by the NHL, and only Eric Godard on the Penguins' side was suspended -- receiving an automatic 10-game ban for leaving the bench to join a fight.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed," Lemieux said then. "We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action."

Cooke didn't play in that Feb. 11 game against the Islanders because he was serving his other suspension, and he won't be on the ice for the anticipated rematch with New York on April 8.

In 67 games this season, Cooke has 30 points (12-18) and 129 penalty minutes.

The suspension is another setback for a team that has been without Crosby for two months and has lost Evgeni Malkin (knee) for the rest of the season. Crosby is skating, but there isn't a timetable for his return to the lineup.

Information from ESPNBoston.com's Joe McDonald and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
I do think it is pretty weak Mario was not up front and center condemning the way he plays.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Didn't Super Mario also say teams should get fined?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

But, that's not the problem honestly...it's more that people like Cooke don't learn and will never learn.

His "contrite" statements are as sincere as me hoping the Red Wings win another Cup.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Just given that he is a repeat offender, yes, the suspension is warranted, but McDonagh didn't even get injured, so that should have some weight in the decision.

Can't just run around hitting people with elbows, but I've seen worse.

/deadhorse

Oh, and how much shit will I take if I wear my Mario jersey to the isles/pens game next month?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Like I said before....Mario is a blow-hard.

He should have kept his mouth shut when he had a chance.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Update:

Hawks: playoff odds down 0.4 to 88%

Kings: playoff odds up 5.1 to 90.7%
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Rounder
Just given that he is a repeat offender, yes, the suspension is warranted, but McDonagh didn't even get injured, so that should have some weight in the decision.

/deadhorse

Oh, and how much shit will I take if I wear my Mario jersey to the isles/pens game next month?
Doesn't matter that he didn't get hurt. Crosby has missed, what, 32 games now, for two hits that really didn't "target" his head, Mike Green is out for two hits, about the matter. Hits to the head period, are NOT allowed.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 03-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Didn't Super Mario also say teams should get fined?
Not in the rule book, maybe next year, I'd like to see teams not be allowed to fill the rooster spot when a person is suspended.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Not in the rule book, maybe next year, I'd like to see teams not be allowed to fill the rooster spot when a person is suspended.
I liked that idea at first. But then you're punishing his teammates and increasing their chance of injury. Fine the hell out of the team/owner and these dirty goons will have a hard time finding employment.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

/deadhorse
Doesn't matter that McDonagh didn't get hurt, dude...call it luck.

The intent to injure was there. That's all the League needs if you ask me.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by dom
I liked that idea at first. But then you're punishing his teammates and increasing their chance of injury. Fine the hell out of the team/owner and these dirty goons will have a hard time finding employment.
Cooke clearly doesn't get that he is effing up the team, maybe if the team doesn't have your back when you get suspended like Cooke has. Maybe being a team member down will get the "adults" to wake up once your teammate start riding your ass.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Cooke clearly doesn't get that he is effing up the team, maybe if the team doesn't have your back when you get suspended like Cooke has. Maybe being a team member down will get the "adults" to wake up once your teammate start riding your ass.
It will be funny and sad if the Pens miss the playoffs because of his selfish actions...

That's not going to happen...but, just saying it would've made for interesting theatre.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

but McDonagh didn't even get injured, so that should have some weight in the decision.

Please tell me that was supposed to be in red text..... It's honestly the most idiotic thing I've heard this year. You currently hold the award
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I agree that it makes no sense but that's the way society seems to work.

Shoot someone point blank in the head and kill them and you're charged with murder.

If that person miraculously survives, you're charged with attempted murder.

Makes no sense but its the way it is.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
I'm just here for the Cooke bashing
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Somewhere, Sean Avery is chuckling with glee...He may have a mouth that won't STFU...but, at least he's not into taking people's heads off.

Thank-you Matt Cooke.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

When I heard about the Cooke I was hoping it was Avery's head that was detached from its shoulders.

But he was a healthy scratch.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

In a good world, Cooke would end either a) Burrows b) Ott c) Avery career...and then be suspended for life from the game.

And in jail.

It's too bad it was Savard.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Could have sworn that this morning I heard that Ovi will be sitting out the rest of the regular season. But I can't find the story.

Damn Fan 590 spreading BS stories again.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Could have sworn that this morning I heard that Ovi will be sitting out the rest of the regular season. But I can't find the story.

Damn Fan 590 spreading BS stories again.
TSN had an article about him missing the next 7-10 games to heal and rest up for the playoffs...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ah, it was yesterday's news. Found it. Doesn't sound at all serious.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

<--- Relieved Sharp is not out for the season. Bolland...not so sure.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I agree that it makes no sense but that's the way society seems to work.

Shoot someone point blank in the head and kill them and you're charged with murder.

If that person miraculously survives, you're charged with attempted murder.

Makes no sense but its the way it is.
This isn't society though, it's not real life, it's sport. 80% of what goes on in a Hockey game would be assault and battery in the real world so you can't compare the 2.

Tie Domi had a head like cement. Does that mean Cooke would have been able to take head shots on him all day since he wasn't going to be able to knock him out? Guys like Savard, Lindros, and LaFontaine had seem to be more prone to suffering concussions. Should they get a free pass to move the puck because it's too risky to put a legal hit on them b/c they may get injured? Not all humans can withstand the same punishment, the penalty in sports needs to be for the act itself, not the result.

Savard was already damaged goods IMO when Matt Hunwick hit him very legally but that hit caused the concussion that shut him down for the year. You can't punish Hunwick for a legal hit that made Savard hit his head. When a guy continues to go over the line with head shots and knee hits, they need to take serious action and it the infractions shouldn't have to cause injury to be punishable.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
This isn't society though, it's not real life, it's sport. 80% of what goes on in a Hockey game would be assault and battery in the real world so you can't compare the 2.

Tie Domi had a head like cement. Does that mean Cooke would have been able to take head shots on him all day since he wasn't going to be able to knock him out? Guys like Savard, Lindros, and LaFontaine had seem to be more prone to suffering concussions. Should they get a free pass to move the puck because it's too risky to put a legal hit on them b/c they may get injured? Not all humans can withstand the same punishment, the penalty in sports needs to be for the act itself, not the result.

Savard was already damaged goods IMO when Matt Hunwick hit him very legally but that hit caused the concussion that shut him down for the year. You can't punish Hunwick for a legal hit that made Savard hit his head. When a guy continues to go over the line with head shots and knee hits, they need to take serious action and it the infractions shouldn't have to cause injury to be punishable.

I agree 100%. Just trying to explain why we see comments like that from Rounder and others. The 'whether he was injured' argument comes up every time a suspendable offense is made. Must be a reason for that.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Williams out for the season....oof!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359122
Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

See?!? Noticed you just had to pick an argument with me and look at all this bad mojo on our teams now.

At least your team doesn't have 3 core guys out.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ You created a fictitious argument out of your own twisted mind
Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ You created a fictitious argument out of your own twisted mind
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Where's Fib at? I want to hear his thoughts on the Wings losing to a minor league team.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

^ It's not playoff time. He doesn't post during the regular season.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
me hoping the Red Wings win another Cup.
Thank you for not using red text.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Where's Fib at? I want to hear his thoughts on the Wings losing to a minor league team.
I didn't attend the game last night. And in case you hadn't noticed, we've been banged up too, with important guys like Datsyuk out of the line up. Another classic Wings 'not starting on time' game. Furious comeback, but that's not winning hockey. Also we're too weak on the blue line, don't punish opposing forwards enough, too many giveaways in our own zone and Lidstrom the perfect human has his weakest +/- rating since like, forever. Based on the way we're playing now, will be shocked if we make it out of the second round.

/homer
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Quick uses telekinesis to make saves

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CP72FLS4s4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CP72FLS4s4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Watch the slow-mo....how does that puck make that turn out of nowhere?!?!?!!?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
nnInn

Subban had a hat tricck the other night. His first goal was just hustle...

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=35&id=104000&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=35&id=104000&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
2008 Acura TL

I just heard ovy wasn't making the one game road trip to rest for a week...nowhere else did I see he would miss more than that.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
2008 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Please tell me that was supposed to be in red text..... It's honestly the most idiotic thing I've heard this year. You currently hold the award
haha.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
2008 Acura TL

It's ok you guys got Oscar Moller...

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread