Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Slow hockey week...so, after trading Yeahkoopoff, Oil sign Russell...which I guess works. But, what will they do with Fayne? And if Fayne is #7 guy...they are paying him $3.1M to sit in the press box. Ouch.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:23 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Why do they need anyone? They have McJesus.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Why do they need anyone? They have McJesus.
I don't think most reasonable Oilers fans are thinking playoffs. If they did, to quote Deano-This-Deano-That, "Put down the bong."
Old 10-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Slow hockey week...so, after trading Yeahkoopoff, Oil sign Russell...which I guess works. But, what will they do with Fayne? And if Fayne is #7 guy...they are paying him $3.1M to sit in the press box. Ouch.

im so glad we got rid of yakupov. We're down two #1 draft picks now... Must make you happier

although yak was drafted first overall, he quite literally sucked through and through. Brick hands. Brick feet. Just awful. You can blame oilers management, but he hasn't shown any signs of brilliance in all the years he's played in the NHL. I have a feeling that whoever he was paired with prior to the NHL really helped drive his points up... But there's no way anyone would put him on their first line. Or second. Maybe third, but even that...

also, you should be happy he went to the oilers in the first place. If he went to any other struggling team, they'd have just been stuck with a giant turd, and they don't deserve that. At least Edmonton didn't actually get a good player, because like you say- they don't deserve a good player.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Taco and Cabby, knock off the childish bullshit already
we are talking hockey in a hockey thread. Are rival teams supposed to be best friends, or stir the pot with one another? Last I checked, it was the latter. Tell cabs to stop writing bullshit info with zero backing, zero knowledge of another team and zero knowledge of specific players. How'd you like it if I came in and said the Penguins suck and Crosby sucks, without any evidence? You'd just sit there? Highly doubt it. And yet *I'm* the narcissist bad guy.

I acknowledge he is good, I acknowledge he is on a team that leaves quite a bit to be desired. I think it is a disservice to him to put him at this point in his career in a position where his teammates are going to be upset having him as their leader. An example would be WWII, they were losing officers at an alarming rate and turning them out of officer candidate school to lead men that had been in combat for some time. They were referred to as 90 day wonders and both unable to lead well and not treated with the respect leaders need.

Add to that TB's attitude and I'm ok messing with him.

After his attack on my input to the site, I looked at his. Going back a few days because that is all I am willing to waste, I see alotta the same nonsense going on here everywhere he has posted (over 3 or so days).

As he said he is here to break some china.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Players are excited as fuck to play with him and follow the guy. He's 19 and his off ice behaviour puts 40 year old veterans to shame. Never in my life have I come across someone who not only cares more about his teammates than himself, but also speaks and behaves like someone who's a 20 year veteran in the game. Watch any interview with him. Any. Watch his demeanour. His responses. The guy is classy as fuck through and through. I've NEVER seen another player as professional as him, at his age. There's no need for me to kiss his ass- it won't make him play any better. It's just the truth.

I keep ribbing at you, because you talk like you know better, but you don't. In any other thread, you'd have been torn to shreds for providing biased information with zero backing, besides your own personal opinion. But here, it is absolutely ok. And again, this all started because I jokingly PROVED you wrong and you kept going, adding even more biased, non-backed, personal opinions that weren't even accurate.

once again, another measurable stat: he only played 45 games last year. He garnered 48 points in that time. Why wouldn't you want to follow someone who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk also?

Never in a million years did I think someone this young could be so professional and able to handle the haters, lovers, media and anyone else so gracefully. If there is any question- it's the rest of the team not being able to keep up with him. He surprised loocheech a few times already and he was completely unprepared to handle mcjesus' speed. You can see the kid holds back often when he's playing. He wants his teammates to get those points and not only himself. Has a scoring opportunity and passes it to a winger, to share the wealth. It's another story if they're able to capitalize on it though. It's nice that he's good- but it doesn't mean shit if he gets hurt again and the team is left struggling. He's trying to get the team and every player to believe in themselves. How isn't that captain material? Listening to the sports radio channel yesterday, they were talking about how the oilers already lost before the puck was dropped whenever they played Calgary the last two years. They didn't have the balls or belief that they could outplay Calgary. They went in with a losing mindset. The kid is doing what he can to change their perspective. Time will tell how effective he is at it.

The question remains though- whether or not he can stay healthy. I'm sure he has a bullseye on the back of his helmet. Hopefully loocheech will mess anyone up who dares to look at him the wrong way. The same way Messier protected the hell out of Gretzky. Yes, much different players, in a much different era. Same scenario though.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
im so glad we got rid of yakupov. We're down two #1 draft picks now... Must make you happier

although yak was drafted first overall, he quite literally sucked through and through. Brick hands. Brick feet. Just awful. You can blame oilers management, but he hasn't shown any signs of brilliance in all the years he's played in the NHL. I have a feeling that whoever he was paired with prior to the NHL really helped drive his points up... But there's no way anyone would put him on their first line. Or second. Maybe third, but even that...

also, you should be happy he went to the oilers in the first place. If he went to any other struggling team, they'd have just been stuck with a giant turd, and they don't deserve that. At least Edmonton didn't actually get a good player, because like you say- they don't deserve a good player.
Um yes...happier. But, seriously...dunno. I still attribute it to poor player development than anything else. Didn't he actually look pretty good playing with Krueger at the helm (speaking of Wreck-It Ralph, that guy seems to be good coach IMO)...?

I am not disagreeing with you because I don't watch Nail play regularly. BUT, given Edmonton's horrid track record of developing ANY talent past the #1 overall pick in general (per the fact the team has no one really of note playing that was drafted past the 1st round ever), I can only comment that it may have something to do with their development of the guy as well. This will be rotten even more if Nail actually produces at a decent clip with the Blues.

Anyways, dunno. Just a slow hockey week as we restlessly wait for the season to start. I did pick my players for one hockey pool and I'll have you know that I did pick McDavid AND Eberle.

Those 2 better deliver or more venom and spew will be coming.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:34 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

we are talking hockey in a hockey thread. Are rival teams supposed to be best friends, or stir the pot with one another? Last I checked, it was the latter. Tell cabs to stop writing bullshit info with zero backing, zero knowledge of another team and zero knowledge of specific players. How'd you like it if I came in and said the Penguins suck and Crosby sucks, without any evidence? You'd just sit there? Highly doubt it. And yet *I'm* the narcissist bad guy.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Players are excited as fuck to play with him and follow the guy. He's 19 and his off ice behaviour puts 40 year old veterans to shame. Never in my life have I come across someone who not only cares more about his teammates than himself, but also speaks and behaves like someone who's a 20 year veteran in the game. Watch any interview with him. Any. Watch his demeanour. His responses. The guy is classy as fuck through and through. I've NEVER seen another player as professional as him, at his age. There's no need for me to kiss his ass- it won't make him play any better. It's just the truth.

I keep ribbing at you, because you talk like you know better, but you don't. In any other thread, you'd have been torn to shreds for providing biased information with zero backing, besides your own personal opinion. But here, it is absolutely ok. And again, this all started because I jokingly PROVED you wrong and you kept going, adding even more biased, non-backed, personal opinions that weren't even accurate.

once again, another measurable stat: he only played 45 games last year. He garnered 48 points in that time. Why wouldn't you want to follow someone who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk also?

Never in a million years did I think someone this young could be so professional and able to handle the haters, lovers, media and anyone else so gracefully. If there is any question- it's the rest of the team not being able to keep up with him. He surprised loocheech a few times already and he was completely unprepared to handle mcjesus' speed. You can see the kid holds back often when he's playing. He wants his teammates to get those points and not only himself. Has a scoring opportunity and passes it to a winger, to share the wealth. It's another story if they're able to capitalize on it though. It's nice that he's good- but it doesn't mean shit if he gets hurt again and the team is left struggling. He's trying to get the team and every player to believe in themselves. How isn't that captain material? Listening to the sports radio channel yesterday, they were talking about how the oilers already lost before the puck was dropped whenever they played Calgary the last two years. They didn't have the balls or belief that they could outplay Calgary. They went in with a losing mindset. The kid is doing what he can to change their perspective. Time will tell how effective he is at it.

The question remains though- whether or not he can stay healthy. I'm sure he has a bullseye on the back of his helmet. Hopefully loocheech will mess anyone up who dares to look at him the wrong way. The same way Messier protected the hell out of Gretzky. Yes, much different players, in a much different era. Same scenario though.
Wow.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow.
Wow, as in he's that good? Cuz, Taco and I have butted heads before and I agree.

I see your point that MAYBE he may not yet be ready to be a team captain BUT there's also nothing wrong with handing the reins to him too. The only counter to why he should not is because he hasn't played a whole season. However, his half-season sample and the reports of how he carries himself should indicate something.

MIND YOU, I personally Connor has an odd taste in friends since he would room himself with Taylor Hall though -- that guy has a peculiar rep (my sister has met him a few times because she's friends with Gagner's wife and the former has some interesting comments about him). Still, this is not like Seguin or whatever. Connor has shown himself to be quite mature beyond his years.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (10-10-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:12 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, as in he's that good? Cuz, Taco and I have butted heads before and I agree.

I see your point that MAYBE he may not yet be ready to be a team captain BUT there's also nothing wrong with handing the reins to him too. The only counter to why he should not is because he hasn't played a whole season. However, his half-season sample and the reports of how he carries himself should indicate something.

MIND YOU, I personally Connor has an odd taste in friends since he would room himself with Taylor Hall though -- that guy has a peculiar rep (my sister has met him a few times because she's friends with Gagner's wife and the former has some interesting comments about him). Still, this is not like Seguin or whatever. Connor has shown himself to be quite mature beyond his years.
I don't care about Edmonton's captain. The wow was at his way of interacting.

All he is missing is mike drop.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
We have no problem with banter and shit talking here as long as it's with respect. Pulling hair and fighting like school girls and calling each other whiny bitches is not tolerated. So what, he said wow about something, you flew off the handle to defend your super duper young captain. No one cares, just chill out man. We all get after each other in here, but keep it respectful. You don't always have to be right or get the last word, sometimes it's better to just drop it

And trust me, I've had enough hate on Crosby in this thread, it's constant, it is what it is. Last time I checked, he was holding the cup
e30cabrio (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

We have no problem with banter and shit talking here as long as it's with respect. Pulling hair and fighting like school girls and calling each other whiny bitches is not tolerated. So what, he said wow about something, you flew off the handle to defend your super duper young captain. No one cares, just chill out man. We all get after each other in here, but keep it respectful. You don't always have to be right or get the last word, sometimes it's better to just drop it

And trust me, I've had enough hate on Crosby in this thread, it's constant, it is what it is. Last time I checked, he was holding the cup
qft but last time I saw the cup Obama had it!

lol

Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

But Crosby was holding it
Old 10-10-2016, 09:16 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Nice 2009 pic
Old 10-10-2016, 09:31 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

That one may be, I just posted the first one I found. It was a joke, Sid owns the cup, the last picture I saw prior to searching now was similar to this one.

Rangers will own the cup before the next millennium!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Well, Goligoski hasn't played for us in 6 years, and he's there on the right
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

not arguing the date of the pic
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Plus, different 44 home jersey. In the pics I saw from this visit, they let Sid hold the cup for the pics

They did give Barry a mini cup
Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

not arguing the date of the pic
Whatever man, you're just jealous of McJesus
TacoBello (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever man, you're just jealous of McJesus
I am, honestly I want that miniature!

Also we want our assistant coach back!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Crosby out with a concussion... FAWK

Got it in practice on Friday... WTF
Old 10-10-2016, 12:59 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks, hope it's not severe.
97BlackAckCL (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

WTF. How did that happen?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Rangers will own the cup before the next millennium!!!
So will the Oilers!!

ok, I can't even keep a straight face, saying that
Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Go Nordiques!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

WTF. How did that happen?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery. I have a shit ton of respect for Crosby.

That's not his first concussion either, is it?
97BlackAckCL (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Nope, he missed 11 months with concussion issues in 2011-12
Old 10-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Shiiiiet... At least it's been many years since the last one. Is it confirmed to be a concussion, or did they pull him off for precautionary reasons? No point in pushing him since the season hasn't even started...

and speaking of which, anyone excited for the season starting tomorrow?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:05 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Nordiques!
Nordiques might win before the Oilers.

lol
Old 10-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
Stars for it all!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:52 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Goondas suspended 6 games.

Radko Gudas facing possible 5-game suspension for hit on Austin Czarnik | CSN Philly

Hope he's happy nau.

https://www.nhl.com/news/radko-gudas...?tid=277549076

Last edited by e30cabrio; 10-10-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13
Stars for it all!
Optimism is always good.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Hard to believe the season already starts tonight!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

:gheywave:
Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting...Oilers are set to start with Puljujarvi in their line-up despite having a lackluster camp. I hope Edmonton has learned their lesson of NOT rushing young prospects...
Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting...Oilers are set to start with Puljujarvi in their line-up despite having a lackluster camp. I hope Edmonton has learned their lesson of NOT rushing young prospects...
Of course, they'll announce he is assistant Captain next week!
97BlackAckCL (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Of course, they'll announce he is assistant Captain next week!
I only know about this because, I'm just casually reading up on Hawks stuff and of course, Versteeg, being the ex-Hawk, was in one of the headlines...where he HAD a contract offer from Edmonton only to tell them to PFO and march down Highway 2 to sign with the Flames. Then, looking closer, it seems the reason why Versteeg left the contract on the table was because he would be part-timing...with a rookie who had a crappy camp. Yes, that's how you show veteran respect by handing the keys to a touted rookie who has proven nothing yet. Pooyeeyarvee may be a high-prospect but he's not a generational player. The kid had a bad camp. Period. Handing him a spot in the roster just reeks to a veteran who has won Cups.

And with Edmonton punting Yeahkoopoff to the Blues for nothing...and Versteeg gone...that RW sure looks...inexperienced. Eh, whatever. Dunno. Just my 2 cents.

At least hockey starts tonight!

Blues/Hawks.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Not quite. The deal edmonton offered him and the deal calgary offered him where the same. What differed was that Versteeg wanted top 6 ice time. Being over 30 and not having the greatest past in the nhl, Edmonton couldn't gaurantee him that. Calgary could. So he went to Calgary.

Also, puljijarvi has been improving. He's used to a different game, playing on a larger ice surface. He has shown improvement since he first stepped on the ice here. You're right. He's not a generational player. I too think he should've stayed in the AHL this year.

What I do know is that it's easy to watch from the side line and tell teams "what they should be doing". Unfortuantely, I don't see any of us on any teams pay roll. There is clearly more to this than anyone knows. But again, it's easy being a side line coach.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Not quite. The deal edmonton offered him and the deal calgary offered him where the same. What differed was that Versteeg wanted top 6 ice time. Being over 30 and not having the greatest past in the nhl, Edmonton couldn't gaurantee him that. Calgary could. So he went to Calgary.

Also, puljijarvi has been improving. He's used to a different game, playing on a larger ice surface. He has shown improvement since he first stepped on the ice here. You're right. He's not a generational player. I too think he should've stayed in the AHL this year.

What I do know is that it's easy to watch from the side line and tell teams "what they should be doing". Unfortuantely, I don't see any of us on any teams pay roll. There is clearly more to this than anyone knows. But again, it's easy being a side line coach.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread