Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

2006 World Cup; Germany

Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Ya, they save the shame for the world cup in England.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Not only that, but when a guy takes a dive in the EPL, he gets a yellow rather quickly. They don't screw around when it comes to bringing shame to the game in England.
Good to know. I was really a casual soccer fan (despite the fact that I played it for about 13 years) but with the new FOX Soccer Channel I find myself watching more and more of it.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Good to know. I was really a casual soccer fan (despite the fact that I played it for about 13 years) but with the new FOX Soccer Channel I find myself watching more and more of it.
Do you get Gol? Serie A and La Liga is on Gol.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Ya, they save the shame for the world cup in England.
Left that one open for it.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Do you get Gol? Serie A and La Liga is on Gol.
Nope... the FOX Soccer Channel is the first soccer channel we have. Only other soccer that is on is when ESPN/ESPN2/ABC carries the MLS... but honestly, I'm not a big fan of the MLS... so I hardly ever watch it.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,774 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Post Materazzi admits he insulted Zidane before head butt

From ESPN.com...

MILAN, Italy (ESPNSoccernet.com news services) -- Marco Materazzi acknowledged he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the French captain head-butted him in the World Cup final, but repeated his denial that he called Zidane a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

A Paris-based anti-racism group issued a statement Monday saying Materazzi had called Zidane, whose parents emigrated to France from Algeria, a "dirty terrorist."

FIFA announced Tuesday it would open a disciplinary investigation into the circumstances of Zidane's head butt.

"FIFA will open a disciplinary investigation into Zidane's conduct to enable it to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident as exactly as possible," world soccer's governing body said in a statement.

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Zidane was ejected from the match.

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender told the newspaper. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards.'"

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate on exactly what he said to Zidane.

"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Regardless of what he said it did not warrant Zidane's actions....

He was trying to get under Zidane's skin... and it worked perfectly!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

FIFA to investigate Zidane's head-butt

The World Cup may be over, but the investigation into an ugly head-butting incident by the tournament's best player is just beginning.

CBC News

French star Zinedine Zidane, left, looks on after head butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final Sunday at Berlin's Olympic Stadium.
(STF/AFP/Getty Images)
FIFA, soccer's world governing body, will open a disciplinary investigation into French midfielder Zinedine Zidane's actions against Italian Marco Materazzi in Sunday's World Cup final.

Zidane, who was awarded the Golden Ball as the World Cup's most valuable player, was red-carded for head-butting Materazzi late in the match.

FIFA said Tuesday that the game's fourth official witnessed the incident - without the use of a television monitor - and alerted head referee Horacio Elizondo through his headset.

Television replays show Zidane and Materazzi exchanging words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane turned to face Materazzi, lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking the Italian player to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, forcing France to play the rest of the match with 10 men. Italy won in a penalty shootout.

Probe FIFA protocol

Investigations of this nature are protocol whenever a red card is handed out in an international match to determine how the player, and any others who may be involved, should be punished, FIFA said.

FIFA did not comment on whether Materazzi was also being investigated for his role in the incident.

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player admitted that he insulted Zidane before the head-butting, but denied calling the French captain a "terrorist" as many media outlets have speculated.

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

He would not expand on what he said to Zidane, saying his comment was just a common insult players hear all the time.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
From ESPN.com...

A few more details

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy won the game in a penalty shootout.

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender said. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards.' "

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate exactly on what he said to Zidane.

"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

Media reports, based on interpretations by lip-readers, have suggested that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist or insulted his mother or sister. Materazzi denies these claims, too.

"For me, the mother is sacred, you know that," Materazzi told the newspaper.
Meanwhile, according to a poll published Tuesday, 61 per cent of people in France forgive the now-retired team captain for the head-butt.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,774 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Regardless of what he said it did not warrant Zidane's actions....

He was trying to get under Zidane's skin... and it worked perfectly!

It's too bad. Nevertheless, Zidane is still one of my fave futebawl players--headbutt or no headbutt.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

It's too bad. Nevertheless, Zidane is still one of my fave futebawl players--headbutt or no headbutt.

I agree. No other playmaker could touch him at this world cup, no matter what a "bad boy" they make him out to be.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

He's tainted to me and I bet to 70% of his non-french fans now.

Last week I said Figo couldn't carry his practise socks, boy was I wrong.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I

Such a shame for some Italian players, because some of them really deserved the cup (Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Buffon, Grosso)

I guess there are bad apples everywhere. People are even comparing some of them to the Portugese.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_obj...name_page.html

GALLAS: I WANTED TO KILL MATERAZZI
French stars back Zidane as claims of outrageous abuse by Materazzi grow GERMANY 2006: THE TOURNAMENT'S OVER BUT FINAL HEAD-BUTT CONTROVERSY RUMBLES ON
Darren Lewis
THEY MAY have football's greatest prize in their grasp but the world's ewest champions will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

As Italy's biggest clubs wait to discover their fate after being found guilty of match-fixing, France defender William Gallas has branded the nation's footballers outright cheats.

Cheats for the provocation of inedine Zidane that wrecked the rance captain's football farewell in Sunday's World Cup Final.

Advertisement

Cheats for the way they have won the trophy "without honour", leaving a nasty taste in the mouths of fans who should be saluting them.

And cheats for underhand tactics which included the taunts from defender Marco Materazzi that sparked Zidane's head-butt on him. Zidane had been vilified for the incident which saw him sent off, but as allegations of Materazzi's goading surfaced last night there was sympathy - and in Gallas's case anger - at the charges of gamesmanship that tainted the memory of one of the game's all-time greats.

Chelsea defender Gallas said: "Italians always act like this. It is a shame to say that, but when they feel they're being dominated they try to provoke you.

"Yes, they are cheaters, but we can't stop that. FIFA and the referees only see the second act, they never look at why there is an incident.

"I accept when the adversary wins with honour, but that is not the case. We know Zizou, he doesn't react like that. People can't react like that, but he has been insulted.

"I think it was very grave. When you play against people like that you want to kick their ass. It's cheating, but they're Italians."

As for Materazzi, Gallas could barely conceal his contempt. He added: "When I see this I want to smash his face. Sometimes you have players who are clever and say something to you and you are angry and you want to kill that player. It is disappointing for Zidane because it was his last World Cup and everybody wanted to win it for him."

Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer indicated his support for the France skipper yesterday when he said: "Something must have been said to Zidane. He is actually a reserved and inoffensive person."

David Trezeguet, who missed the penalty which cost France the cup, added: "Zidane can leave with his head held high. Materazzi can't because there is more to life than soccer."

With that the Juventus striker summed up the problems facing Italian football.

Theirs was a campaign of diving, dirty tricks and elbowing that had seen Materazzi sent off earlier in the tournament against Australia. Team-mate Daniele de Rossi was dismissed for deliberately elbowing Brian McBride in a group game, leaving the USA striker needing stitches for a gashed cheek.

Why such accomplished teams as AC Milan and Juventus have to resort to match-fixing in their own league is as big a mystery as to why a team like Italy needs to turn to the dark arts to succeed when they possess such outstanding players.

France coach Raymond Domenech said of Materazzi: "He was the man of the match. He scored the equaliser and had Zidane sent off. It's sad, it's a pity. Materazzi really put on a great show when he fell down - we know how these things work."

It was only last night that Materazzi chose to deny claims he had branded Zidane a terrorist.

Zidane's cousin Rabah had earlier alleged: "We've now heard through people Zinedine has spoken to that he was called a terrorist.

"My cousin is not a violent man. He is gentle and doesn't hit people, but he was provoked by a truly savage insult.

"We are saddened that his magnificent career has ended this way."

A 'MATER' OF DEBATE

THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES: WHAT THEY SAY MATERAZZI SAID:

LAST NIGHT the internet rumour mill was in overdrive about what Materazzi might have said.

The BBC claim to have employed an Italian lip reader and say after Matterazi ordered Zidane to calm down, Zidane said something back (unknown), Matterazi then said he was a "liar" and the final insult was wishing Zidane an "ugly death on you and your family".

One Italian website even printed what they claimed was a transcript of the exchanges between the pair just before the head-butt. It read as follows:

ZIDANE: "Ordinanza de tirare il costume" (Stop pulling my shirt)

MATERAZZI: "Taciti, enculo, hai solamente cio che merite..." (Shut up f****r, you only get what you deserve)

ZIDANE: "Si e cio..." (Yeah, sure.)

MATERAZZI: "Meritate tutti ci?, voi gli enculato di musulmani, sporchi terroristici" (All of you deserve that, f*****g Muslims, terrorist b******s)

Some agreed Zidane had been called a "terrorist", but others suggested that sources within the French camp had claimed the Italian had made a sick remark about Zidane's first coach, Jean Ferrade, who died of cancer just before the World Cup started.

They say the Frenchman was told: "I hope Jean suffered."

Last edited by FastAcura; 07-11-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What's next, Materrazi is Hitler's love child with Musollini? Give me a fawkin break. No mention of Moulouda's dive anywhere in an article talking about cheating. Please.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
likes it raw

I love how every translation/interpretation of the comments is completely different. Are the italian phrases "your sister is a prostitute", "I wish an ugly death on you and your family," and "I hope Jean suffered" really that similar??
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter

I love how every translation/interpretation of the comments is completely different. Are the italian phrases "your sister is a prostitute", "I wish an ugly death on you and your family," and "I hope Jean suffered" really that similar??

When they're coming from the sore loser French, apparently so.

Fact is, Italy didn't miss a PK and Henry's replacement did. Even if Zidane had scored the outcome wouldn't have been any different. As for Zidane's presense? They couldn't score with him in 120 minutes, whta makes anyone think they would have in the last 10.

Sore losers.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I

Originally Posted by dom

What's next, Materrazi is Hitler's love child with Musollini? Give me a fawkin break. No mention of Moulouda's dive anywhere in an article talking about cheating. Please.

He did get fouled in the box in the second half, which wasn't given, so all in all, I think that settles it.

Either way, this isn't the first time an Italian player has been linked to negative headlines. Remember the U.S. game? Materazzi was sent off earlier in the tournament too.

I can't believe you're trying to justify Materazzi's actions. They are there to play a game, not to insult each other like that. There's a difference between trash talk and what the guy said. Italians sure as hell aren't getting any love from other parts of the world. The only thing I would have done differently if I was Zidane is, I would have made sure that Materazzi didn't get back up to finish the game.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I think the best version is this, which is supposedly said by Matrix's agent:

Matrix and Zidane tug shirts while jostling for position. Zidane then says, "if you want the shirt so bad, I'll give it to you after the match."
To which Matrix replied: "'I'd rather take the shirt off your wife."

Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I

Originally Posted by dom
When they're coming from the sore loser French, apparently so.

Fact is, Italy didn't miss a PK and Henry's replacement did. Even if Zidane had scored the outcome wouldn't have been any different. As for Zidane's presense? They couldn't score with him in 120 minutes, whta makes anyone think they would have in the last 10.

Sore losers.
Noone is talking about France losing, we're talking about sportsmanship. You can win with class, or you can play dirty. Looks like the Italians won, but didn't win many friends along the way.

Like Trezeguet said, there's more to life than soccer. Zidane > Materazzi.

And those translations didn't come from France.

Last edited by FastAcura; 07-11-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

FastAcura, please tell me you arent buying into that propogande

That article sounds like a 5 year old wrote it for some frenchie tabloid, and then ran it through a babelfish translator.

The only disgraceful act that occured was Zidane's headbutt, despite all their attempts to turn the tables. What a bunch of sore losers.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FastAcura
He did get fouled in the box in the second half, which wasn't given, so all in all, I think that settles it.

Either way, this isn't the first time an Italian player has been linked to negative headlines. Remember the U.S. game? Materazzi was sent off earlier in the tournament too.

I can't believe you're trying to justify Materazzi's actions. They are there to play a game, not to insult each other like that. There's a difference between trash talk and what the guy said. Italians sure as hell aren't getting any love from other parts of the world. The only thing I would have done differently if I was Zidane is, I would have made sure that Materazzi didn't get back up to finish the game.
Insults are part of the game. Unless Matrix actually said something racial, I don't see anything wrong with it. It happens in every sport.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
I

Originally Posted by fdl

That article sounds like a 5 year old wrote it for some frenchie tabloid, and then ran it through a babelfish translator.

The only disgraceful act that occured was Zidane's headbutt, despite all their attempts to turn the tables. What a bunch of sore losers.
That article is from an English newspaper. They had pretty much the same Gallas translations on German websites.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Noone is talking about France losing, we're talking about sportsmanship. You can win with class, or you can play dirty. Looks like the Italians won, but didn't win many friends along the way.
Sportsmanship? Is headbutting good sportsmanship?? Class? playing dirty?
The headbutt was dirty, and the headbutt was the lowclass act. Trash talking is part of any game. Its not playing dirty.

And the only friends they didnt win along the way are the sore losers.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

That article is from an English newspaper. They had pretty much the same Gallas translations on German websites.
Well if Gallas doesnt repesct the Italian squad, then I guess noone does And why would you beleive anything Gallas had to say anyways? Again, they are all sore losers and are trying to salvage the reputation of their captain.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
Sportsmanship? Is headbutting good sportsmanship?? Class? playing dirty?
The headbutt was dirty, and the headbutt was the lowclass act. Trash talking is part of any game. Its not playing dirty.

And the only friends they didnt win along the way are the sore losers.
Trash talk is one thing, what he did wasn't just "trash talk".

It's like white players calling black people "ni*****" in the nba after they get scored on.
F-C
Senior Moderator

The Frenchies say Zidane is the hero and Matrix is the villain.
The Italians say Matrix is the hero and Zidane is the villain.

fdl
Senior Moderator

No offense, but you are sounding foolish. NOONE knows what MAterazzi said. You beleive these "rumours" about him calling him a terrorist, but they are only that - rumours. The only thing we know for sure is that Zidane headbutted him. That we know for sure, and that is the only classless act that occured.

As for getting any love from the rest of the world, what the heck are you talking about. The WORLD is criticizing Zidane. FIFA is investigating Zidane. Its France who look like the classless team, the thugs, the sore losers. Not Italy.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's like white players calling black people "ni*****" in the nba after they get scored on.
But you don't know that it was a racial insult. We have, what, 4 different versions of what he said. Wait until the truce comes out. Otherwise we are just speculating.
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl

Bottom line is trash is talked all of the time. The headbutt was the only classless act on the field that day IMO.

Originally Posted by F-C
Insults are part of the game. Unless Matrix actually said something racial, I don't see anything wrong with it. It happens in every sport.
Exactly. Even if he did say something racial, I wouldn't support Zidane's actions. People talk shit all of the time. 70% of professional sports is half mental*. They're just trying to get under each other's skin... and Zidane let his emotions get the best of him. Regardless of what Matrix said, Zidane is the bad guy here.

* = 72% of statistics are made up
fdl
Senior Moderator

How the hell do you know what he said? Because the frnechies said so? Because Gallas said so? Was he around? You are assuming. But regardless of what he said, Zidane should never have headbutt him, period. And his career is forever stained.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl

Thank you!

This French sore loser BS is getting really annoying. Italy won, move on.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
No offense, but you are sounding foolish. NOONE knows what MAterazzi said. You beleive these "rumours" about him calling him a terrorist, but they are only that - rumours. The only thing we know for sure is that Zidane headbutted him. That we know for sure, and that is the only classless act that occured.

As for getting any love from the rest of the world, what the heck are you talking about. The WORLD is criticizing Zidane. FIFA is investigating Zidane. Its France who look like the classless team, the thugs, the sore losers. Not Italy.
Word is that Zidanee will be slapped with a 6 game ban, too bad he's retired.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
But you don't know that it was a racial insult. We have, what, 4 different versions of what he said. Wait until the truce comes out. Otherwise we are just speculating.
But even if it was a racial insult... so what? Doesn't warrant his actions. I'm sure black players are called ni**ers in basketball, even by white players. Difference is you hear about it after the game, not during. As a professional sports player you have to learn to deal with insults.

Hecklers are even worse. They say things that are so bad that players who hate each other on the field wouldn't say to each other. But again, pro players just have to ignore it. Honestly, I don't think anything could be reported that would make me change my mind about Zidane... regardless of what was said in their exhange.

A world class athlete with a distinguished career on the world's largest stage in his final game should know better. He has tarnished his reputation forever...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
Well if Gallas doesnt repesct the Italian squad, then I guess noone does And why would you beleive anything Gallas had to say anyways? Again, they are all sore losers and are trying to salvage the reputation of their captain.
Because while watching the tournament and in general, I wouldn't be suprised if an Italian player said something like that.

I just feel bad for players like Cannavaro and Zambrotta because idiots like Materazzi are ruining the reputation of the whole team.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Because while watching the tournament and in general, I wouldn't be suprised if an Italian player said something like that.

I just feel bad for players like Cannavaro and Zambrotta because idiots like Materazzi are ruining the reputation of the whole team.
What, you don't think Cannavaro and Zambrotta trash talk? You don't think players on Bremen trash talk? The only people who think the Italians are tainted are the Frenchies.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

But who cares? They ALL talk shit, and if you don't believe that, you're being naive. He had many, many other options. He could have walked away, confronted him after the match, got in his face, even pushed him. But to take a cheap shot and headbutt a defensless player in the chest in the middle of a game is completely classless and there is ZERO excuse for it. None.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I can't believe you're trying to justify Materazzi's actions.
Where am I defending his actions? First of all we really don't know what his actions were to begin with so kinda hard to defend. Second, I don't really blame Zidane as I probly would have done the same thing as classless and thuggish as it was. But thats me.

And those translations didn't come from France.
Ya, they came from England. We all know how much the English love the Italians.

Propaganda at its finest.

Like its been said several times, even if the Matress deserved it (which he probly did) the last 10 minutes of the WC final was no place for that action and because of that Zidane is a disgrace. He let down his country and teamates. No amount of excuses and propanganda will change that.

And why is he waiting so long to announce what was said? Why wait, give me one good reason? Because he's guilty in the sense that what was actually said wasn't head butt worthy and he can't bring himself to face his face his fans is my guess.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

That I agree with. Far too much attention has been given to Zidane rather than the winners of the WC.

What frustrating is that even if that incident hadn't occured, the result would have probly been the same.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
likes it raw

I agree. No other playmaker could touch him at this world cup, no matter what a "bad boy" they make him out to be.
He's not being "made out" to be anything.

"Zidane received his first red card when he was playing for a Cannes team; he punched opposing team player Desailly at that time, in September 1993, and was ejected from the match. During the 1998 World Cup, in a match against Saudi Arabia, he stomped on a player who was lying on the field, and received not only a red card, but a two game suspension. And in a move which was almost exactly the same as the one which earned him his latest red card, Zidane headbutted German player Jochen Kientz in a Hamburg match in October 2000. His headbutt against Kientz hit the player in the chin however, and in addition to being ejected from the game, Zidane was suspended from 5 matches by football's UEFA authority. Some say that particular act of anger was also responsible for the French Football magazine deciding not to award him the Golden Ball award. In fact, thousands of Juventus (Zidane's team) fans wrote into their club's web site after Zidane's headbutt in 2000, saying "We do not want this kind of cruel football." Zidane's penultimate red card before the one that ended the 2006 World Cup match came in May 2003, in a match against Madrid's Villreal team."

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/4731561.asp?gid=74
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
And why is he waiting so long to announce what was said? Why wait, give me one good reason? Because he's guilty in the sense that what was actually said wasn't head butt worthy and he can't bring himself to face his face his fans is my guess.
That' exactly what I'm thinking. Zidane doesn't want to say, because he'll look like a fool. And Matrix doesn't want to say, because it will cause him trouble at home with his wife/girlfriend.

Quick Reply: 2006 World Cup; Germany