Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

2006 World Cup; Germany

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
He's not being "made out" to be anything.

"Zidane received his first red card when he was playing for a Cannes team; he punched opposing team player Desailly at that time, in September 1993, and was ejected from the match. During the 1998 World Cup, in a match against Saudi Arabia, he stomped on a player who was lying on the field, and received not only a red card, but a two game suspension. And in a move which was almost exactly the same as the one which earned him his latest red card, Zidane headbutted German player Jochen Kientz in a Hamburg match in October 2000. His headbutt against Kientz hit the player in the chin however, and in addition to being ejected from the game, Zidane was suspended from 5 matches by football's UEFA authority. Some say that particular act of anger was also responsible for the French Football magazine deciding not to award him the Golden Ball award. In fact, thousands of Juventus (Zidane's team) fans wrote into their club's web site after Zidane's headbutt in 2000, saying "We do not want this kind of cruel football." Zidane's penultimate red card before the one that ended the 2006 World Cup match came in May 2003, in a match against Madrid's Villreal team."

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/4731561.asp?gid=74

Sounds like someone needs some anger management classes.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

"Zidane received his first red card when he was playing for a Cannes team; he punched opposing team player Desailly at that time, in September 1993, and was ejected from the match. During the 1998 World Cup, in a match against Saudi Arabia, he stomped on a player who was lying on the field, and received not only a red card, but a two game suspension. And in a move which was almost exactly the same as the one which earned him his latest red card, Zidane headbutted German player Jochen Kientz in a Hamburg match in October 2000. His headbutt against Kientz hit the player in the chin however, and in addition to being ejected from the game, Zidane was suspended from 5 matches by football's UEFA authority. Some say that particular act of anger was also responsible for the French Football magazine deciding not to award him the Golden Ball award. In fact, thousands of Juventus (Zidane's team) fans wrote into their club's web site after Zidane's headbutt in 2000, saying "We do not want this kind of cruel football." Zidane's penultimate red card before the one that ended the 2006 World Cup match came in May 2003, in a match against Madrid's Villreal team."

Funny how everyone (fans, teamates, coaches, cousins, etc) are making him out to be such a perfect innocent person...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

It was the other players faults. They enticed him.

And what with the head butting, Who fights like that? although the top of the head is the bodies hardest part.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts

I think I'lll buy this when I go to Milan in 2 months. It's a little too flashy for me, but I'll get it as a souvenir. I got the French 98 version in Paris years ago.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Funny how everyone (fans, teamates, coaches, cousins, etc) are making him out to be such a perfect innocent person...
I think it's the media's fault. Just because he was retiring, it would have been a great story if he had gone out as a hero. That's why they built his story up throughout the month. Instead, he's the goat.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who cares?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by btsilver
who cares?

Apparently Europe, mostly.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
I think it's the media's fault. Just because he was retiring, it would have been a great story if he had gone out as a hero. That's why they built his story up throughout the month. Instead, he's the goat.
Oh no doubt it's mostly the media. Well, Zidane's fault first, then the media for riding it. Sad part is that we'll still probably be hearing about this well into August...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Apparently Europe, mostly.
I'd say pretty much the world. Soccer fans from every continent are talking about it...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

I'd say pretty much the world. Soccer fans from every continent are talking about it...
That's right.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Yeah, even my wife is talking about it, and she doesn't watch football at all. I think I've heard her ask 'what's an offside?' 10 times in the last month.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
101 years of heartache...

well, it's been quite the tournament. I personally felt that Argentina had the best team, and played the best overall. It's quite a shame that they had to go down like they did.

Aside from that, anytime a World Cup ends, my heart sinks. It's amazing to see people who don't even know what a "through ball" or the terms 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 mean become so deeply involved in watching the beautiful game. I am a huge American Football and Baseball fan, but Football is the world's sport, and it amazes me how the world focuses its attention on the WC.

Aside from that, I am very excited for the upcoming EPL and UEFA Champions League season. After losing 2-1 to Barca in the final, I have great expectations for my Gunners this year. We do need a new CB as Sol Campbell has left. But with the signing of Rosicky, and prospects of Yaya Toure, Appiah, and even Franc Ribery, things are looking the best I have ever seen them in North London. New stadium, Henry is better than ever and locked up for 4 years, and a young, extremely talented core to aid him.

Also, the Mancs of Salford, Manchester are in shambles ! Cristiano Ronaldo wants out, RvN is iffy, Wayne Rooney is the next Michael Owen, and Sir Alex Fergusen is running out of patience. Also, any player they want is being outdone by other teams. Gattuso and Fernando Torres are being chased by Real Madrid, and Ribery has stated he wants to play for Arsenal with a French coach .

This EPL season is sure to be good. And with AC Milan and Juve probably not participating in the CL, it will add for some diversity. I enjoy seeing smaller clubs like Villareal making it to the semi-finals (just as long as Arsenal beats them )
Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
What does this score mean?

2:1 a.e.t. (1:1, 1:1).

I am still fairly new to soccer, and don't completely understand everthing yet.

I am guessing the a.e.t. means After Extra time, but don't understand what parenthesis around the two scores mean. (1:1, 1:1).
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

1:1 at the end of the first half, 1:1 at the end of the second half
or maybe
1:1 at the end of the match and 1:1 at the end of overtime
Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

it was the Wags fault

Their shopping trips were the stuff of legend and their partying exploits tickled the public. And now it seems a nation's dismay has found an outlet - it is the wives and girlfriends who are officially to blame for England's lacklustre World Cup performance.
Reports yesterday claimed the Football Association would ban partners from attending future international tournaments. A spokesman refused to confirm whether a decision had been made, but it is understood the Wags and their champagne-swilling nights out in Baden-Baden were one of the main topics of discussion in a post-World Cup debriefing last week between Steve McClaren, the new England coach, and Brian Barwick, the FA's chief executive.

Until now, it was reckoned that the Wags had a more successful World Cup than the lads. Tales of players' wives spending £57,000 in an hour's designer shopping or dancing on table tops after running up £400 cocktail bills overshadowed the team's pedestrian outings on the pitch. Other halves stayed en masse at the luxury Brenner's Park hotel, creating a paparazzi honeypot.

Disparaged by English pundits and scorned by one Spanish newspaper as "hooligans with visas", they were nevertheless taken to the hearts of the residents and shopkeepers of Baden-Baden. Insiders point out it will be impossible to enforce a total ban, while refusing to assist partners could provoke a backlash among the team. It appears likely, however, that this World Cup will be the last where all of the Wags are gathered in the same hotel.

An FA spokesman said: "We have made no decision on it whatsoever. We haven't even qualified for the next tournament yet. We've got a new manager and we are starting our qualifying games in two months' time. Steve officially starts work on August 1 and is beginning to work on preparing the team for qualification. That's his priority, not what to do with wives and girlfriends at a tournament in two years time." England's qualification campaign for Euro 2008, which takes place in Austria and Switzerland, starts with a match against Andorra at Old Trafford on September 2.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I would generally agree that hitting someone is wrong, but Materazzi deserved even more than what he got. I was actually cheering for Italy because I really respect some of those defenders from Juventus, but Mazeratti really needs to get his ass beat. IMO, he's the biggest coward in professional sports. It's funny how people on other forums who are not big Italy fans are blaming Materazzi for this whole incident.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

The disgusting abuse that sparked Zidane's fury
By BETH HALE and PETER ALLEN, Daily Mail

22:03pm 10th July 2006

The answer, it has emerged, was a vile stream of racial and personal abuse.

First Marco Matterazzi called the French star the Italian equivalent of 'n*****', and then insulted both his mother and his Muslim background by saying he is the 'son of a terrorist whore.

The revelation will prove even more of an embarrassment to football's governing body than the ironic award of player of the tournament to French captain Zidane.

To millions of television viewers around the world it appeared as if the two sportsman were enjoying a jocular exchange, until the moment Zidane lowered his head and sent his opponent plummeting to the ground.

With the help of an expert lip reader the Daily Mail was able to decipher what led to the violent outburst.

First defender Marco Materazzi spoke in Italian - a language understood by Zidane who once played for Italian side Juventus - grabbed his opponent and told him 'hold on, wait, that one's not for a n***** like you.'

It is not clear whether the Italian was referring to the ball heading their way or his own groping of Zidane.

The expert, who can lip read foreign languages phonetically and translate with the aid of an Italian interpreter, was unable to see what Zidane said in reply.

But she saw that as the players walked forward Materazzi said: 'We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore.'

Then, just before the headbutt, he was seen saying,: 'So just f*** off.'

The translation tallies with the words of Zidane's agent who said the player had told him the Italian made a 'very serious' comment.

'Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but it will all come out in the next week,' said Alain Miglaccio.

'He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.'

To some observers who saw Zidane floor his opponent with nine minutes to go, that description might appear an understatement.

The 34-year-old midfielder was red carded in a move that did his side no favours as they went on to lose the final on penalties.

Golden Ball award

But shame was replaced with the glow of the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

For FIFA the award - voted for by journalists before half time in the final game - will be an unwelcome embarrassment.

The organisation has been battling to outlaw violence on the pitch - as well as racism. But with a typically-Gallic shrug of the shoulders Zidane's home nation gave him a hero's welcome - led by President Jacques Chirac.

The politician was positively beaming as he chatted with the player, who announced he would retire after the championship, before a lunch at the Elysee palace in Paris.

For a brief moment it even appeared the sportsman, who had been playing in what was to be his last game as a professional player, was demonstrating just how he executed that infamous headbutt.

With a somewhat untimely tribute, Chirac praised the player as a 'virtuoso' and 'a genius of world football'.

He continued: 'You are also a man of heart, commitment, conviction. That's why France admires and loves you.'

Earlier he said: 'I would like to express all the respect that I have for a man who represents at the same time all the most beautiful values of sport, the greatest human qualities one can imagine, and who has honoured French sport and, simply, France.'

French manager Raymond Domenech also played down the fuss about the head butt - saying Zidane was the victim of rough treatment from his Italian opponents throughout the final in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

The player is fiercely proud of his family’s Arab background - and his mother who struggled with almost no money to bring up five children.

The family were originally from the village of Taguemoune, in the remote hills of Algeria.

The married father-of-four describes himself as a 'non-practising Muslim'.

Zidane’s father and mother, Smaïl and Malika, were almost unimaginably poor.

They first moved to Paris where there was little work and even less money and so the family moved to Marseille, on the south coast.

It was there that they struggled desperately to bring up five children on a tough council estate. His background means this is not the first time Zidane has endured racial slurs.

Soon after France’s 1998 World Cup win - when Zidane scored two goals - Jean-Marie Le Pen, leader of the Front National, was complaining about the racial origins of the France team, singling out Zidane as 'a son of French Algeria'.

His comment was carefully loaded. The implication was Zidane was either a colonial lackey or a traitor to the country of his father's birth.

It is well known that Zidane's skill is paired with the potential for rage, most notably when he headbutted Jochen Kientz of Hamburg during a Champions League match in 2000, earning him a five-match suspension.

Defender Materazzi was keeping his mouth firmly closed yesterday.

But his father Giuseppe, said: 'I spoke with my son very briefly on the telephone after the match.

'He didn't tell me what Zidane had said and he just said that I should enjoy this moment and he would tell me everything that happened when he got back.

'He told me that he had been provoked as he has been throughout his career and throughout the last two years.'

According to reports in France, Zidane's mother is seriously ill at the moment and had to go to hospital on Sunday morning.

Other French players have told journalists that their colleague was particularly sensitive because of this mother's condition.

The lauding of Zidane as a hero in France and his naming by FIFA as player of the tournament is in stark contrast to the treatment experienced by England players Wayne Rooney and David Beckham after they were sent off at critical junctures in different World Cups.

Rooney is said to have been widely regarded by members of the FA hierarchy as having acted petulantly before being red carded in England's match against Portugal during this year's tournament.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter also backed the referee who sent off Rooney, adding: "The referee was within touching distance of the players and he took the decision according to what he witnessed."

David Beckham was widely criticised after his sending-off against Argentina in the 1998 finals for kicking out at Diego Simeone. He was on the receiving end of abuse from fans wherever he played for Manchester United for a considerable period afterwards.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:05 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^-i still think that zidane should have laid him out in a better way where it didnt make him look like a dumbass. regardless of what the italian said zidane made himself look bad and should have waited for an on the ball tackle.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FastAcura
I would generally agree that hitting someone is wrong, but Materazzi deserved even more than what he got. I was actually cheering for Italy because I really respect some of those defenders from Juventus, but Mazeratti really needs to get his ass beat. IMO, he's the biggest coward in professional sports. It's funny how people on other forums who are not big Italy fans are blaming Materazzi for this whole incident.

Again, rumors about what was said. Just more variations on the other 4 "interpertitations". Doesn't matter what was said. He could have called him the most vile thing in the book, doesn't justify Zidane's actions.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I

Originally Posted by subinf
^-i still think that zidane should have laid him out in a better way where it didnt make him look like a dumbass. regardless of what the italian said zidane made himself look bad and should have waited for an on the ball tackle.
You REALLY have to be contained not knock the other guy out. If youre mother was laying seriously ill in the hospital and someone called her a terrorist whore, I would make sure that he doesn't finish the final.

Like I said, there is trash talk, and there are things that are WAY below the belt. Materazzi = classless act.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by subinf

Even that would have been 11tybillion times better...
Old 07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

You REALLY have to be contained not knock the other guy out. If youre mother was laying seriously ill in the hospital and someone called her a terrorist whore, I would make sure that he doesn't finish the final.

Like I said, there is trash talk, and there are things that are WAY below the belt. Materazzi = classless act.
Proof that he said that? I mean real proof, not just another newspaper offering yet another translation of attempted lip reading...

Even if those were facts, still wouldn't justify it. So many other things Zidane could have done, but he chose a classless headbutt to the chest. Again, if you think trashtalking doesn't get very personal on a regular basis, you're just being naive...
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I would generally agree that hitting someone is wrong, but Materazzi deserved even more than what he got.

We'll never know. Zidane will say one thing and the Matress will say another. Should we believe Zidane because he's a 3 time player of the year, completely overlooking the FACT that has a history of losing his cool.

Oh wait, the English hired a lip reader, lets go with that.

In all likelyhood the Matress deserved it, but lets try and keep an open mind.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

FastAcura, you need to stop reading tabloids. Lip readers? Come on Its funny how what he syas keeps getting worse and worse. Such BS, and I dont understand how or why you consume every bit of it as fact
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Materazzi = classless act.
How can you state its a classless act based on rumours? The headbutt was a classless act, we can all agree. If matress said those things, i agree it was classless, but as of right now him saying it is tabloid junk. The only thing we are SURE of, is that Zidane is "classless". Whether or not Matress falls into the classless category is completely unknown. You can post all the lip reading articles you want.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
One on the right for me

I agree, but there are better ways at getting back at him. Zidane had a weakness that was exploited and he lost control. I'd be pissed as hell if a guy found a way to get under my skin, I would just wait for the next time he had the ball, that way you dont look like an ass in front of millions of people.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

FastAcura, regardless of what was said, if Zidane could go back in time do you really think he would do it again? He blew it, plain and simple. Blew for his team, and blew it for his country, including any muslim whores within it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Why do you keep quoting the Daily Mail and Mirror? They're not exactly the right place to go for high journalistic integrity.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
FastAcura, regardless of what was said, if Zidane could go back in time do you really think he would do it again? He blew it, plain and simple. Blew for his team, and blew it for his country, including any muslim whores within it.

I'm not sure if he would do it again, but I could guarnetee that A LOT of athletes would lose their cool at that point.

And Zidane isn't the reason why France lost. Like Henry said, the winner deserves it the most.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Why do you keep quoting the Daily Mail and Mirror? They're not exactly the right place to go for high journalistic integrity.

Because they are the only sources he can find that are spewing this garbage.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

FastAcura's avatar=
Old 07-11-2006, 02:33 PM
One on the right for me

I'm not sure if he would do it again, but I could guarnetee that A LOT of athletes would lose their cool at that point.
Losing their cool and waiting for a good time to get back at them > losing their cool and reacting instantly and looking like an idiot
Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
FastAcura's avatar=

Don't get me started on the Honda F1 team
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

FastAcura, suck it up, your team lost and your hero is a bum. Move on
Old 07-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
FastAcura, suck it up, your team lost and your hero is a bum. Move on
My team lost in the semis . I wasn't rooting for France. I liked Italy better because Cannavaro is one of my favorite players. Materazzi just ruined it for me.

Even though Zidane did what he did, he's still one of the best in the game.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Fastacura, for you:

It fits both disgraced Juve and Zidane.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:05 PM
The Boss

version 1

Last edited by AcuraDriver2006; 07-11-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
The Boss

^ cannot post that i guess?... I was going to do version 2, but oh wells.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
101 years of heartache...

FastAcura's probably not doing so hot right now;

His team were eliminated by Arsenal in the CL , and now they're down in the dumps

Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
Fastacura, for you:

It fits both disgraced Juve and Zidane.
Haha, that's funny. What does it say? Who was the redisgner of their jersey?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
The Boss

version 2

Quick Reply: 2006 World Cup; Germany